Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 6:29:16 PM EDT
My dog has been diagnosed with failing kidneys and the vet has put him on a special diet. I'm ok with this and trust my vet. the issue is that the food he is selling me is 70 dollars for a 30 pound bag. Online is 75 dollars so its not like he is ripping me off or anything. I was just curious if there were other alternatives? if I got to suck it up and spend the cash then so be it. My boy has been loyal and faithful to me and if this makes him more comfortable and extends his time on this earth with me then its money well spent. I just don't wish to be foolish and spend 70 dollars when I could buy something similar for 35. just being a good consumer in these tough times.

This is what the vet recommended.  Hill's Prescription Diet k/d Canine Dry Food

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No advice for ya, but best wishes to you and your pup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
KD is the gold standard for treating kidney disease. Send me an email with more details, age and size of dog, what are the current symptoms, what were the results of the last blood yest, and I will share a few other tips. [email protected]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No advice for ya, but best wishes to you and your pup.

thanks.. It could have been worse news i suppose. I was afraid he had Cushings..

This is him.

with my daughter last year.

Last week

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
KD is the gold standard for treating kidney disease. Send me an email with more details, age and size of dog, what are the current symptoms, what were the results of the last blood yest, and I will share a few other tips. [email protected]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Thanks sir.. email inbound.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad to hear, I understand where you are at. What is the long term prognosis if you don't mind me asking?

ETA: And of course my best wishes for the little guy!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Last week

LOL

My two year old daughter has, ahem, mounted our shih tzu.  

Dogs have the patience of saints.  I hope your pup gets to feeling better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sad to hear, I understand where you are at. What is the long term prognosis if you don't mind me asking?

we didnt really discuss that as he did not make it seem like this was a say your goodbyes kid kind of thing. The vibe i got was with the proper diet change this could be managed and he would still be around for a while. Like i said, it could be worse. I could be looking at a 300 pharmacy bill a month for the big guy.

But since its not realistic to repalce a dogs kidneys it may be the end of him one day.. Just not this day

thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LOL

My two year old daughter has, ahem, mounted our shih tzu.  

Dogs have the patience of saints.  I hope your pup gets to feeling better.

they do that. my daughter just turned two and the dogs could not be any better with her.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck with your buddy.  He is obviously a hell of a family member.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I would get a second opinion. We had a dog diagnosed with kidney disease and were told the "special" vet food would extend his life. If we didn't follow the vets opinion, we were told we would be lucky if he lasted a year. So I  did what any good dog owner would do. I bought the food. Or should I say my wife bought the food. Then I found out how much it cost and said bs. I stopped feeding him that fine vet food and guess what. He lived another 8 years. Passed away when he was 16yo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Subcutaneous fluids can also help the kidneys to keep going longer.  Might be worth asking the vet, it is fairly easy to do at home.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

we didnt really discuss that as he did not make it seem like this was a say your goodbyes kid kind of thing. The vibe i got was with the proper diet change this could be managed and he would still be around for a while. Like i said, it could be worse. I could be looking at a 300 pharmacy bill a month for the big guy.

But since its not realistic to repalce a dogs kidneys it may be the end of him one day.. Just not this day

thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I started to feel bad after I posted that but it sounds like you are gonna be OK with him. It has been my experience that the vet is usually pretty quick to tell you if bad things are coming. These days, it is amazing what they can do. Hell, the things we do for our four legged buddies are worth every penny, even though we may groan a bit when we buy buy special food or meds.

ETA: Spelling
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
good luck to you and your buddy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top