User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone remember hollow bullets?

I picked up an inert keychain from one of the big manufacturers at a big show in the late 80s. Maybe Hornady. Probably .38.

Appeared to have a plastic wad to keep the powder in.

Looked like a real nasty hollowpoint.

I'd been meaning to post about these. I used to have a firearm annual from the 70s that had a hollow .357 round with a gas check under it. One would think such a round, given sufficient penetration, would make a very nasty wound.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

there's a bunch of strange types in this photo, but I have no idea what most of it is.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/ExoticHandgunAmmo.jpg

A couple of those are jelly filled..must be cop killer bullets from Dunkin' donuts!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up an inert keychain from one of the big manufacturers at a big show in the late 80s. Maybe Hornady. Probably .38.

I'd been meaning to post about these. I used to have a firearm annual from the 70s that had a hollow .357 round with a gas check under it. One would think such a round, given sufficient penetration, would make a very nasty wound.

Pmc ultramag ammo. If you want to see strange look at the experiments with folded ammo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pmc ultramag ammo. If you want to see strange look at the experiments with folded ammo.

Here's a good thread.

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=401829

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Too lazy to dig out the camera and take a picture, but the .500 Phantom is pretty unusual looking. .50 BMG AMAX seated in a case short enough to feed from a .308 magwell.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a good thread.

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=401829

I dont understand how i have 700+ posts on that forum and dont ever remember being there. Is it a sister forum to some other forum?

EDIT: Now i recognize it as The high road.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]

-p.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Double plus

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Would either of those actually fire? I would think that the bullet would be long gone before even half of the propellant was burned.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Can be loaded while firing?  That sounds effective.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]

I've been wondering for some time if the ATF would consider something like that a fixed cartridge, since the primer is seperate from the cartridge.  It would be something to consider for that integrally suppressed blackpowder gun concept in a recent thread.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Double plus

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Would either of those actually fire? I would think that the bullet would be long gone before even half of the propellant was burned.

I am also wondering this.... That's an awful lot of powder to be throwing behind such a fast moving round...  

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double plus

I am also wondering this.... That's an awful lot of powder to be throwing behind such a fast moving round...  

Its a joke, guys. IIRC he work at an ammo manufacurer of gun store and they made it just for the costumers that need the *ultimate* round.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double plus

What case is that on the right, .50bmg? What kind of barrel length and twist would be need to stabilize something at those velocities? I have a friend that reloads some of the WSSMs (.223, .243, etc.) and he says that his max loads don't group worth a damn.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#15]
No one's mentioned the military's two-bullets-in-one-cartridge ammo that was supposed to replace the .223?

I don't have a pic, but I have one of the cartridges.  Nothing shows on the outside, it's just one bullet nestled behind the other on the inside of the case, buried way deep into the powder.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No one's mentioned the military's two-bullets-in-one-cartridge ammo that was supposed to replace the .223?

I don't have a pic, but I have one of the cartridges.  Nothing shows on the outside, it's just one bullet nestled behind the other on the inside of the case, buried way deep into the powder.

Duplex and triplex rounds for project SALVO, one of the projects that contributed to the AR15 development.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duplex and triplex rounds for project SALVO, one of the projects that contributed to the AR15 development.

It's an interesting concept. I'd be curious to see how modern body armor would hold up against this sort of round. Most armor works through delamination or ablation to distribute and "slow" the transfer of energy from the round to the body of the wearer, but multiple high-energy impacts could overcome the armors capacity (for lack of a better word) to do so.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

6.5 Carcano has ridiculously long round-nose bullets.

Check out 8*50R Austrian Mannlicher. (244 grains @2,000fps if anybody cares)

Stock photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/8by50R.jpg

About 10 years ago, I was in a local gun shop that normally wouldn't have anything old.  I spotted a M95, on the rack and asked to see it.  It was priced high (for the time) at nearly $300 bucks.  Then I noticed the tag said it came with 2000 rounds of (this rare) milsurp ammo.  SOLD!

A piece of my stash:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/850r2.jpg

Rifle in question is 3rd from the bottom:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/mantle.jpg

Not too many of those around. The Austrians chopped them all to make Police Carbines, and re-chambered them for 8x56R
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

^ Quite the crimp on that round eh?

.223 TIMBS

I inherited a box of 30.06 sabot rounds like that, I don't know what they are necked down to, maybe 223? I'd like to shoot one through a chrono to see how fast they are going, would mind banging a deer with one either.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
^ Quite the crimp on that round eh?

.223 TIMBS

I inherited a box of 30.06 sabot rounds like that, I don't know what they are necked down to, maybe 223? I'd like to shoot one through a chrono to see how fast they are going, would mind banging a deer with one either.

I remember those, they were designed to enable you to use your "deer" rifle as a jack of all trades. The '06 had some stupid fast velocity, even the 30-30 was pushing 4000fps IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#22]

LOL!  You could kill velociraptors with that, because the bullets would go back in time.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's them.  Found a picture thanks to your ID'ing them.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do a search on Russian SP-4 Silent Ammunition. One of the neatest ideas I have ever seen. Why silence the pistol, when the ammo will do the job for you!

Say what you will about the Russians, but once in a while they do some really "outside of the box" stuff when it comes to arms design.
You can say that again:

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have a few in .38

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#27]

I remember the articles in Precision Shooting regarding that caliber and the work they did developing it , pretty dang accurate . . . . . notice the spherical shoulder
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
there's a bunch of strange types in this photo, but I have no idea what most of it is.

what is b7 and e1
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double plus

If aimed properly and shot against the earth's rotation , you could effectively create a worm hole , the bullet entering a time warp , and then effectively  assassinate Hitler

ETA : Beaten again
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Tag until I can find a picture of my pinfire ammo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I assume the IDF uses these...

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Yes that's the burnside. You can also thank the man for side burns.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Do a search on Russian SP-4 Silent Ammunition. One of the neatest ideas I have ever seen. Why silence the pistol, when the ammo will do the job for you!

Say what you will about the Russians, but once in a while they do some really "outside of the box" stuff when it comes to arms design.
You can say that again:

What in the blue hell is that?  
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#34]
The French seem to have some knack for odd ammo. Here's two current production products from http://www.sauvestre.com/?lang=en

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can say that again:

What in the blue hell is that?  

Russian rounds for firing underwater.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've been wondering for some time if the ATF would consider something like that a fixed cartridge, since the primer is seperate from the cartridge.  It would be something to consider for that integrally suppressed blackpowder gun concept in a recent thread.

It is not considered fixed ammo for that very reason.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what is b7 and e1

French "Arcane" or THV (french for "very high velocity").  The .357 load for French CT units (GIGN) clocks over 2000 fps.  Wounds in rump roasts are impressive, don't know about real world though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

weren't they called "Geckos"? like a 60gr solid brass tube bullet that cut a wicked wound channel

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I believe those were a PMC offering for PPC shooters that were supposed to give increased velocity, reduced recoil, and clean paper punches like a wadcutter.  I had some at one point and shot them up.  I seem to recall them not being very accurate.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#42]
What's the best round to use on strangers?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top