Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 94
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4v50:

Magrav.  I'm just starting to read about it. Petroleum is needed for its chemicals though and gasoline/diesel are only its waste product.  I think we'll be needing oil for a long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4v50:

Originally Posted By focus8:

What would the consensus be right now for a person considering majoring in Petroleum Engineering? Would it be worthwhile with oil being so low?

Magrav.  I'm just starting to read about it. Petroleum is needed for its chemicals though and gasoline/diesel are only its waste product.  I think we'll be needing oil for a long time.

Process engineers is in very high demand.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
wOOt!! Go, baby, go!  

Crude Oil (WTI)USD/bbl.57.00+0.61+1.08%May 1514:15:10
Crude Oil (Brent)USD/bbl.64.25+0.93+1.47%Jun 1514:15:07
TOCOM Crude OilJPY/kl47,790.00+560.00+1.19%Sep 1514:15:53
NYMEX Natural GasUSD/MMBtu2.67+0.06+2.38%May 1514:16:23
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]

It was 5 years ago yesterday, 11 good men lost their lives on the Deepwater Horizon/Macondo blow-out. A terrible tragedy.  

The
well blowout and resultant oil spill pumped 3.2 million barrels into the Gulf
of Mexico over a period of four months in the biggest marine catastrophe in US
history.

The legal case against the operator of the asset, BP, is still ongoing and will
see the supermajor pay a maximum fine of $13.7 billion for gross negligence for
the disaster at the ultra-deep water Macondo Prospect

Hard to believe it's been half a decade....

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish I could break into the oil industry at some point.

Not sure how easy it will be with field/project engineer experience in the construction industry and a construction management degree
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]

There are lots of jobs building off-shore platforms and drilling rigs and every land well needs a pad site built. There should be a bunch of jobs given your field of expertise...just have to wait on stuff to get rolling again once the prie of oil goes back up.

We're hoping that happens by the end of the year....but who really knows?

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Just need Iran to get froggy and we'll see $100 oil by year end.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I got turfed today - kind of.  The whole company is being "wound down." over the next 4 months.  They can't even sell their assets (other than vehicles), it's literally that fucking slow.  Nobody wants to buy anything, even if it is dirt cheap.  

We have work for another 5 weeks or so, and than I'm done.  I get one month of severance and whatever holiday I haven't taken over the last few years.

I am the fucking layoff king, it seems.  I'm 33 and have been laid off 4 times, twice from the public sector and twice from O&G (2009 and 2015).

Four times in a ~12 year "career."

Brutal.  

And these companies wonder why there's no job loyalty anymore.  I'm a free market guy, and like I told my boss today, it's all about the bottom line.  There's no hard feelings there at all.  They had to make a businesses decision, and I respect that.  

It could be worse.  I could have been turfed in January like I thought I was going to be.  Not much of a bright side, but it's there.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Got called Tuesday afternoon and asked if I wanted to go to work for 7 - 10 days. I said sure, then they hit me with you need to be in PA tomorrow night. That was a brutal 15 hour drive.  But I'm happy to be working, even if it is just a few days at a time.

For everyone who has been cut, keep your head up. Prices are slowly but surely rising and we will all be bowed up again before we know it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Hang in there, guys. I guarantee that within two years from now (probably much sooner), oil will be over 100/bbl and the oil fields will be booming again. I am so confident in this prediction, that if I am wrong, I will kiss Michelle Obama on the lips, with tongue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/saudi-arabia-solution-global-oil-041520354.html

Saudi Arabia has a response to the global surplus of oil: Raise output to near-record levels and then pump even more.

The biggest member in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
boosted output to 10.1 million barrels a day in March, close to an
all-time peak, the International Energy Agency reported on April 15.
Saudi Oil Minister Ali Al-Naimi, who has stressed that his country won’t
cede market share to higher-cost producers, said in the capital Riyadh
on April 7 that production was at 10.3 million barrels and would remain
close to that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#11]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2015/05/01/what-saudi-arabia-has-bought-for-50-billion-in-its-oil-war/

In October of 2014, Saudi Arabia signaled that it was willing to let oil
prices fall and no longer cut production to support higher prices.
Since that time Saudi Arabia has spent nearly $50 billion of its foreign
reserves to keep its domestic social contract going in the face of
diminishing oil revenues.

Saudi Arabia has some $708 billion of foreign oil reserves left to wage
its oil war. The country’s new king, Salman bin Adbulaziz Al Saud, is
dealing with a budget deficit of at least $40 billion this year—The Financial Times said
it could reach $100 billion. Sub-$70 oil does not appear to be
sustainable for Saudi Arabia, but for now it seems willing to keep
spending its cash in an attempt to assert its will on global oil
markets.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Those of you going through the ringer right now, read this:  Clicky
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Paulup:

Those of you going through the ringer right now, read this:  Clicky
View Quote

I have a problem that probably very few other people have, and that is that I mostly love my job.  

If it weren't for the fact that I do enjoy my job, I'd flip the fucking middle finger to the oilpatch and GTFO ASAP.  I wouldn't care about cyclical trends because I'd just work at it for however long the money was good and leave.  No regrets.  

I kind of wish that I didn't like it as much as I do so that I could get the fuck off of this bandwagon and do something else.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I got demoted to make room for more senior personnel to have a place on my rig after other rig shut downs.  Couple that with the gulf premium I was getting, I am now losing 60K/year.

But I'm still employed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
It's getting to the point where I may have to pull the plug myself. We're stuck at 40-50hrs a week and only two jobs on the schedule. Getting hard to justify being gone 21 days at a time to make less than I could at home and mainly just sit around the fucking mancamp

On the positive side, I've got my foot in the door on one of the best jobs in DFW that would make a great hold over job until shit gets rolling again
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102667219

OPEC: Oil prices to stay below $100 for next decade

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By targettarget:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102667219

OPEC: Oil prices to stay below $100 for next decade

View Quote

That don't mean shit to a tree. 70 to 100 is a big fucking target.

WTI's around 60, the Saudis and Iran are fixin to get jiggy, the dollar's headed south, and people have millions of dollars of leaseholds that will expire if they aren't converted to HBP units.

As long as the Permian stays above 54...activity is going to pick back up.

70 is the break even on a lot of completion work in a lot of basins, but drilling to HBP, paying shut-in royalties and completing once the index rises - appears to be a lot of operator's game plan.

Chesapeake just announced that they are 'stepping up' their drilling programs to take advantage of the depressed rig rates.  

There's a synergy happening that will see a lot of people put back to work by year's end.

Hang in there and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#18]

Little Tommy the Toolpushers son was doing very badly in math. His parents had tried everything; tutors, flash cards, special learning centers, in short, everything they could think of. Finally in a last ditch effort, they took Tommy down and enrolled him in the local Catholic School.

After the first day, little Tommy comes home with a very serious look on his face.

He doesn't kiss his mother hello. Instead, he goes straight to his room & starts studying.

Books & papers are spread out all over the room and little Tommy is hard at work. His mother is amazed. She calls him down to dinner and to her shock, the minute he is done he marches back to his room without a word and in no time he is back hitting the books as hard as before.

This goes on for sometime, day after day while the mother tries to understand what made all the difference.

Finally, little Tommy brings home his report card. He quietly lays it on the table and goes up to his room and hits the books.

With great trepidation, his mom looks at it and to her surprise, little Tommy got an A in math. She can no longer hold her curiosity.

She goes to his room and says: "Son, what was it? Was it the nuns?"

Little Tommy looks at her and shakes his head "No".

"Well then", she replies, "was it the books, the discipline, the structure, the uniforms, WHAT was it?".

Little Tommy looks at her and says, "Well, on the first day of school, when I saw that guy nailed to the big plus sign, out in front of the school, I knew they weren't fooling around.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone else in here work in the land side of things? I have been doing mostly title work and a little lease acquisition. Since few companies are buying new leases, the only work out there is little scraps of due diligence work. My wife and I both work in the business so we aren't really "diversified". When one of us can't find work, it is hard for either of us. We have friends who have been out of work for months. We've been lucky to have some good contacts that have given us anything they can find, but they have been few and far between. We've been reading a lot of facebook posts about people selling this or that "beach house" and expensive cars because they can't pay the notes. (Though they have only themselves to blame for that.) Still, it is scary out there when people you know are out of work for this long. We didn't get caught with a bunch of high dollar luxury bills. But we will have a hard time paying off taxes. Being self employed sucks sometimes.

And, "Title examiners and Abstractors" is the #2 job most threatened by advances in artificial intelligence, according to an article on Drudge I read yesterday.  At least I am a notary and they will still need people to go out and get leases signed eventually.

The main reason for this is that more and more records are being made available online in counties across the country. I know that OCR software has come a long way, but many early records are still handwritten and I think that will at least put off the inevitable for a while. Real estate title often doesn't require the same kind of "Patent to Present" detail that mineral title requires, so mineral title research will still need people who can read the old cursive handwriting. At least until they pay someone to transcribe all the old documents (which would still take years). There are companies trying to outsource title research to India right now (just like everything else). But I think most project managers need effortless communication so at least for the time being this will go as smoothly for project managers as computer customer services goes for people with a broken PC and an Indian tech on the line. Basically, hit or miss depending on how thick their accent is and how patient you are on the phone.

20 years from now it is hard to imagine what the job situation will be for our little segment of the industry.

For now, we are hoping this downturn weeds out the newcomers and a lot of people move on to other fields so that when it does rebound we will have more opportunities.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, to be fair, there are companies out there right now where you could outsource their work to India and there wouldn't be much difference in the quality of work performed. Dropping off a box of unsorted documents in my office is not "land work." Sadly, the oil & gas land business is as much (if not more) about who you know than what you know still.  A lot of good old boy networkin' and some less than competent guys who can get by in that environment because it will be 10-15 years (if ever) before their mistakes bite their client in the ass.

While title abstracting could probably be automated fairly easily (and is at least partially automated already in many places - at least to the extent of generating the list of documents concerning the lands), actual title examination is something that I can't imagine being automated.  I don't see how a computer can look at a document, even presuming it understands it, and then analyze how a Luckel v. White problem is going to turn out based on a "four corners" reading.  I also don't see how a computer would even recognize problems like "Hey, in this probate document is says there are 3 siblings; but in this one it says there are 5 siblings and we only have 2 siblings leased."  If automation reaches that level, title examining and abstracting aren't going to be the only professions impacted by a long shot.

Like a lot of businesses though, low-skilled positions will be replaced by automation and higher-skilled positions will probably see wages drop as people try to increase their skillset to stay employed.  I've had no land work since December of last year in my business, so I hear where you are coming from regarding it being tough right now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Even if they can figure a way to automate title research, the mineral title side of it would be nearly impossible to track automatically. There are lots of intricacies involved that require experienced human interpretation. Figuring out Heirship and Intestacies require human action.

Next comes curative work. Somebody has to locate the people, draft the instruments, get them executed, and put them of record.

Other than all that type of work, operators are currently torn between drilling leases to hbp them, ramping up drilling to avail themselves of the lower rig rates - and renegotiating leases that expire but are needed for a block.

I know more Landmen who are out of work right now than those of us lucky enough to be working, but I'm hearing that it won't take too much more of an increase before thing begin to pick up again.

While I don't believe things will return to the frenzied boom pace of recent years, I do believe that competent Landmen will have plenty of work. We just wont have all the strippers and shoe salesmen 'Landmen' the booms generally produce.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Well, to be fair, there are companies out there right now where you could outsource their work to India and there wouldn't be much difference in the quality of work performed. Dropping off a box of unsorted documents in my office is not "land work." Sadly, the oil & gas land business is as much (if not more) about who you know than what you know still.  A lot of good old boy networkin' and some less than competent guys who can get by in that environment because it will be 10-15 years (if ever) before their mistakes bite their client in the ass.

While title abstracting could probably be automated fairly easily (and is at least partially automated already in many places - at least to the extent of generating the list of documents concerning the lands), actual title examination is something that I can't imagine being automated.  I don't see how a computer can look at a document, even presuming it understands it, and then analyze how a Luckel v. White problem is going to turn out based on a "four corners" reading.  I also don't see how a computer would even recognize problems like "Hey, in this probate document is says there are 3 siblings; but in this one it says there are 5 siblings and we only have 2 siblings leased."  If automation reaches that level, title examining and abstracting aren't going to be the only professions impacted by a long shot.

Like a lot of businesses though, low-skilled positions will be replaced by automation and higher-skilled positions will probably see wages drop as people try to increase their skillset to stay employed.  I've had no land work since December of last year in my business, so I hear where you are coming from regarding it being tough right now.
View Quote

This.  A lot of land companies produce pure garbage, and a lot of E&Ps are cool with it because they will have long sold the assets before 15 years elapses.

I regularly do O&G landwork and sometimes have a hard time keeping up with coworkers because I refuse to put my name on garbage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:
Even if they can figure a way to automate title research, the mineral title side of it would be nearly impossible to track automatically. There are lots of intricacies involved that require experienced human interpretation. Figuring out Heirship and Intestacies require human action.

Next comes curative work. Somebody has to locate the people, draft the instruments, get them executed, and put them of record.

Other than all that type of work, operators are currently torn between drilling leases to hbp them, ramping up drilling to avail themselves of the lower rig rates - and renegotiating leases that expire but are needed for a block.

I know more Landmen who are out of work right now than those of us lucky enough to be working, but I'm hearing that it won't take too much more of an increase before thing begin to pick up again.

While I don't believe things will return to the frenzied boom pace of recent years, I do believe that competent Landmen will have plenty of work. We just wont have all the strippers and shoe salesmen 'Landmen' the booms generally produce.

View Quote

Well, while I know your last paragraph wasn't just a joke, it also hits the nail on the head.  The demand these past 10 years has been so high that you could hire a stripper (and I know damn well a few places did) to be a landman because companies just didn't give a shit.  Profit margins were high enough that getting it done now was more than worth the risk.  Those days are gone now; but we've got more than a few stripper-equivalents relying on a few years of boom time to compete for new jobs in an industry where it can take a decade for your fuck ups to catch up to you.

If the only place you've done title is in the Barnett Shale or Ohio, then you had better be at the top 1% before you try to pass yourself off as a landman.  Sadly, as a new-ish (7 years) attorney, I've often got less pull than the landman at a lot of firms. Honestly, I rely a lot on the landmen to get work; so I'm rarely in a position to burn the bad ones down; but the industry needs a purge in a bad way.  Right now I'm in a position where if I don't make the landmen look good I don't get more work; but I have zero choice in the landmen I work with.  It is a shitty deal for me because when I get a half-ass project dumped on my desk; my choices are to eat the hours it takes to sort out that operator's high school buddy's shitty landwork or not get anymore work from that client.

Honestly, I'm mixed right now. When it works, it is fucking great - good money, set my own schedule, work at home.  The flipside is about 80% of the time it doesn't work. Clients who don't pay.  Landmen who suck but I can't say that or I won't get more work. The "I've fucked off six months so now my problem is your "cancel your life" situation.  Seeing as how I am conflicted out of suing my clients for any of their questionable practices, I'm trying really hard to diversify my practice now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:58:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#24]

Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Well, while I know your last paragraph wasn't just a joke, it also hits the nail on the head.  The demand these past 10 years has been so high that you could hire a stripper (and I know damn well a few places did) to be a landman because companies just didn't give a shit.  Profit margins were high enough that getting it done now was more than worth the risk.  Those days are gone now; but we've got more than a few stripper-equivalents relying on a few years of boom time to compete for new jobs in an industry where it can take a decade for your fuck ups to catch up to you.

If the only place you've done title is in the Barnett Shale or Ohio, then you had better be at the top 1% before you try to pass yourself off as a landman.  Sadly, as a new-ish (7 years) attorney, I've often got less pull than the landman at a lot of firms. Honestly, I rely a lot on the landmen to get work; so I'm rarely in a position to burn the bad ones down; but the industry needs a purge in a bad way.  Right now I'm in a position where if I don't make the landmen look good I don't get more work; but I have zero choice in the landmen I work with.  It is a shitty deal for me because when I get a half-ass project dumped on my desk; my choices are to eat the hours it takes to sort out that operator's high school buddy's shitty landwork or not get anymore work from that client.

Honestly, I'm mixed right now. When it works, it is fucking great - good money, set my own schedule, work at home.  The flipside is about 80% of the time it doesn't work. Clients who don't pay.  Landmen who suck but I can't say that or I won't get more work. The "I've fucked off six months so now my problem is your "cancel your life" situation.  Seeing as how I am conflicted out of suing my clients for any of their questionable practices, I'm trying really hard to diversify my practice now.
View Quote

Water finds it's level. The incompetent will be weeded out over time. Right now the Operators who are still pursuing projects are trying new ways of streamlining operations and tightening their belts. As this new 'leaner and meaner' mode of operation becomes more firmly entrenched in the industry, people who don't punch above their weight will be gone.

Back in the Barnett heyday, I was a crew chief for a Broker who had a major contract with an 800 pound gorilla there. Some of the people who worked out of our field office were indeed strippers and shoe salesmen. They didn't have a clue, but the project manager hired them - just to bill them out. Some were making a $225 day rate while the broker was billing them off at $450 a day. It was insane. The mineral trespass lawsuits are still happening 15 years later.

I received an offer by another broker that I had heard stellar things about...so I took my entire crew and jumped ship.

Having done this type of work since the late 60's (off and on) and being 4th generation oil patch, I've seen things that would curl your hair. Personally, I look forward to 'separating the wheat from the chaff' in this business and helping develop projects which have lower costs and higher revenue potential.

Things are getting better and everybody needs title opinions. Just don't cave to any ridiculous shit. Your clients will appreciate you more than the 'yes men' in the business.

This industry is made up of all kinds of folks, but the people who are truly successful are tenacious individualists...and it takes one to know one.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got my CDL with a tankers endorsement, I am looking for work in West Texas and Carlsbad NM area. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Oil prices jumped almost 3 percent Thursday, giving Brent its biggest rally in more than a week, as draws reported in the Cushing delivery point for U.S. crude futures boosted optimism that a supply glut was easing.

Fighting in Iraq that raised worries about the security of Middle East crude shipments also boosted oil.

The dollar's retreat took some pressure off oil too. The dollar snapped a broad three-day run-up and also fell against the euro EUR= for the first time in a week, making commodities denominated in the greenback more affordable to holders of other currencies. [FRX/]

Inventories of U.S. crude in Cushing, Oklahoma fell by almost 740,000 barrels between Friday and Tuesday, trade sources said, citing a report by market intelligence firm Genscape.

The report added to the fervor of oil bulls, already inspired by Wednesday's U.S. government data showing the third straight weekly decline in crude stockpiles across the United States.

"All these drawdowns indicate the supply glut we've been having is easing, so not surprisingly more people are going long oil and those who aren't are covering shorts," said Phil Flynn, analyst at the Price Futures Group in Chicago.

Crude Oil (WTI)USD/bbl.60.86+1.88+3.19%Jul 1512:44:05
Crude Oil (Brent)USD/bbl.66.72+1.69+2.60%Jul 1512:44:23
TOCOM Crude OilJPY/kl49,700.00+810.00+1.66%Oct 1512:38:51
NYMEX Natural GasUSD/MMBtu2.97+0.06+1.92%Jun 1512:44:25

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
This is good news.  Hopefully some of the folks employed in the oil industry will be back to posting the return of their $25k bonuses and ability to buy a bigger truck and the rest of the country can go back to $3/gallon and balancing the act of putting gas in their car or food on their table.  Everyone wins with higher oil prices.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By cancer-stix:

This is good news. Hopefully some of the folks employed in the oil industry will be back to posting the return of their $25k bonuses and ability to buy a bigger truck and the rest of the country can go back to $3/gallon and balancing the act of putting gas in their car or food on their table. Everyone wins with higher oil prices.
View Quote

Only when we send all that money to OPEC. God forbid we become energy independent and enjoy the national security benefits that would entail.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/5-scenarios-for-oil-prices-including-meltdown-2015-05-21

5 scenarios for oil prices, including ‘meltdown’

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#30]

There are thousands of un completed wellbores sitting in inventory right now.  WTI will hit a trigger point and mothballed frac horsepower and all the surrounding services will see a temporary spike.  500k extra barrels per day will hit the market and drive prices back down, before any meaningful number of rigs are put back to work.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

There are thousands of un completed wellbores sitting in inventory right now.  WTI will hit a trigger point and mothballed frac horsepower and all the surrounding services will see a temporary spike.  500k extra barrels per day will hit the market and drive prices back down, before any meaningful number of rigs are put back to work.
View Quote

Which is exactly why I've tenatively accepted a job outside of frac. I love what I do, but the compensation is an integral part of that love

I'll be back as soon as it makes cents(pun intended). The outfit that bought my company out definitly would not be who I would want to be with even if shit was still blowing and going, so it was time to move on anyways. Good luck to everyone trying to stick it out
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:32:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MyakkaVice] [#32]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#33]
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/isil-fighters-set-iraq-baiji-oil-refinery-ablaze-150525122055089.html

Fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group have
set large parts of Iraq's largest oil refinery on fire, in an effort to
thwart advances by Iraqi security forces.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TSU45:

View Quote

Yup.....

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:06:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targettarget] [#35]

The Oil Glut is Not Real

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/The-Oil-Glut-is-Not-Real.html

By 2016, I fully expect that low cost oil will be depleted and prices will need to rise to spur more activity as costs rise.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#36]

The Oil Glut is Not Real

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/The-Oil-Glut-is-Not-Real.html

By 2016, I fully expect that low cost oil will be depleted and prices will need to rise to spur more activity as costs rise.

View Quote

Great, I'll tell the landlord to expect back rent by 2016.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I just passed about 30 caliche haulers heading into a lease. Looks like they are building pads again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By WilliamGray:

I just passed about 30 caliche haulers heading into a lease. Looks like they are building pads again.
View Quote

It seems that things are coming back a little bit. Some of the Landmen type folks I know who have been out of work since December are now finding new tickets.

Seems there's a good bit of pipeline ROW work starting too.

I've seen several articles in the past few days which purport the glut is ending and the uncertainty of the middle east are going to drive market prices up again.

Baker Hughes Rig Count still shows only 875 domestic land rigs running...down 991 from last year. I hope more operators are going to try and book more rigs while 'rig-time' is cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#39]

It seems that things are coming back a little bit. Some of the Landmen type folks I know who have been out of work since December are now finding new tickets.

I've seen several articles in the past few days which purport the glut is ending and the uncertainty of the middle east are going to drive market prices up again.

Baker Hughes Rig Count still shows only 875 domestic land rigs running...down 991 from last year. I hope more operators are going to try and book more rigs while 'rig-time' is cheaper.
View All Quotes

All the pipeline work around here is stalled because of the rain.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Only 875 rigs he says.  

There's only ~750 rigs in all of Canada, and there's only about 100 of them that are drilling this week.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#41]
My job just ended.  So yay me.  

I just spent all of the money I've ever made on a house here 2 years ago, and than I spent the last 18 months upgrading it.  I stopped spending money about 6 months ago when it looked like oil was going to collapse and started saving my ass off again, so I'll be good for a little bit, but if these depressed prices go on for a few years (which I think it likely could), I'll be in fucking trouble.

Fuck me, every time I buy a property, I lose my job ~24 months later.  

I bought a townhouse in March of 2007, and was laid off in January of 2009.  

Bought a house in April of 2013, lose my job in June of 2015.  

This is not a sob story, I just cannot fucking believe how poor my timing has been.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#42]
My job just ended.  So yay me.  

I just spent all of the money I've ever made on a house here 2 years ago, and than I spent the last 18 months upgrading it.  I stopped spending money about 6 months ago when it looked like oil was going to collapse and started saving my ass off again, so I'll be good for a little bit, but if these depressed prices go on for a few years (which I think it likely could), I'll be in fucking trouble.

Fuck me, every time I buy a property, I lose my job ~24 months later.  

I bought a townhouse in March of 2007, and was laid off in January of 2009.  

Bought a house in April of 2013, lose my job in June of 2015.  

This is not a sob story, I just cannot fucking believe how poor my timing has been.  
View Quote

Keep your head up and start beating feet.  I was laid off at noon in January and was on the road to the next jobsite by 3PM.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Get ready for this to take off over the next 2-4 months.  The world is going to, I think, drastically change over the course of the next year.  

Greece will collapse on itself and the UK is set to have a vote on leaving the Euro, the US is preparing to go crazy with protests this summer, Russia and Ukraine just started fighting again, China is building these military islands in disputed territory, amongst a host of other things.

It's about to get very, very interesting.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Only 875 rigs he says.

There's only ~750 rigs in all of Canada, and there's only about 100 of them that are drilling this week.

View All Quotes

Only 875 rigs he says.

BH Rig count says 98 are running, +26 from last count, -100 from last year. Shit, ol' son, it's picking up in bag-o-milk land.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone ever had success applying to a job through rigzone.com?  Or ever gone through a recruiting organization named "Spencer Ogden"?

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#46]
TT, what is your skillset?  I know you've probably answered that already, but this thread is getting too long to look back. Signing up with a headhunter is great for someone with a high demand or very specific(and necessary) skillset, but not at all worth it when the market is flooded with people who share your skill.

I don't personally know anyone who got hired through Rigzone, so I won't comment on them.  The only thing I do know is they do a lot of advertising in the Houston area.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Welp....I just got the call...cutting hours from 12hr days to 10hrs. Also no more perdiem. At least I still have a job.

I am a production platform operator currently working a 7/7 in the GOM.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By Paulup:

TT, what is your skillset?  I know you've probably answered that already, but this thread is getting too long to look back. Signing up with a headhunter is great for someone with a high demand or very specific(and necessary) skillset, but not at all worth it when the market is flooded with people who share your skill.

I don't personally know anyone who got hired through Rigzone, so I won't comment on them.  The only thing I do know is they do a lot of advertising in the Houston area.
View Quote

Drilling fluid, specifically.  Engineering, implementation, R&D, testing/formulating, and general problem solving.

There's a bunch of jobs overseas for the job I do, but I don't know if any of these "recruiting" companies are actually worthwhile or not.

I sent in my resume to one, so we'll see what happens.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Good luck buddy.  I recommend you get one with one of the bigger players.  Once the M&As start, you don't want to be on the small outfit side of things.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I got turfed today - kind of.  The whole company is being "wound down." over the next 4 months.  They can't even sell their assets (other than vehicles), it's literally that fucking slow.  Nobody wants to buy anything, even if it is dirt cheap.  

We have work for another 5 weeks or so, and than I'm done.  I get one month of severance and whatever holiday I haven't taken over the last few years.

I am the fucking layoff king, it seems.  I'm 33 and have been laid off 4 times, twice from the public sector and twice from O&G (2009 and 2015).

Four times in a ~12 year "career."

Brutal.  

And these companies wonder why there's no job loyalty anymore.  I'm a free market guy, and like I told my boss today, it's all about the bottom line.  There's no hard feelings there at all.  They had to make a businesses decision, and I respect that.  

It could be worse.  I could have been turfed in January like I thought I was going to be.  Not much of a bright side, but it's there.  
View Quote

If there was used equipment you had some money to buy/put in storage for the next boom, what would it be?
Page / 94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top