Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 94
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn it must be nice to be close enough to a town to just run and get stuff lol. Usually the closest Walmart to me is an hour each way. And that's Elk City or Woodward Oklahoma. And trust me that's nothing to write home about lol.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mbpike:
Damn it must be nice to be close enough to a town to just run and get stuff lol. Usually the closest Walmart to me is an hour each way. And that's Elk City or Woodward Oklahoma. And trust me that's nothing to write home about lol.

We're not....Hooters is a 2 1/2 hour drive but one of our guys had to go to town anyway so it kind of worked out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally get a little break after 42 days.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By krpind:

Originally Posted By E-Mag:

Anyone have suggestions for jobs in the Minot area of ND? I have some family there and that would be nice. Or is it better just to go out there and apply once I have moved out to ND. I tried applying to some places without success about 6 mounts ago but I was living in MN at the time.  

We shipped degreaser up there last week. They must really be kicking ass.

Looking at pumpco I have a lead on a operator position. I plan to visit in about 2 weeks to see if I can sort out a few more details for the move.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Love to see all the good things going on... WY O&G for the summer checkin' in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:59:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krpind] [#8]
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
If anyone is interested in a vacuum truck job in west Texas IM me and I'll get you the info to contact the Midland yard.  If you want to get some experience with tanker now is the time with my company.  They are not being very picky at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 2:59:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By krpind:
I just toggled this to keep it out of the archives. Just so everyone knows.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Wtf is all this clear liquid coming out of the sky in Midland?!
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By VelveteenMole:

Its a fresh water spill. Call HSE and report it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:21:30 AM EDT
[#13]

All your drilling and fracing has caused a mass dihydrogen monoxide spill! Call the EPA!

Or do what I do, shovel some dirt on it and walk away.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Serialnumber00078:

What type of job? I was supposed to be heading up on a Due Diligence project this week, but it appears to have fallen through. Shit...I was all set to be cooler this summer.

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm ready to get back on a rig. I've been off for almost a month lol. It's been a bad ass break but it's time to start making money again.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Berzerker77:

All your drilling and fracing has caused a mass dihydrogen monoxide spill! Call the EPA!

Or do what I do, shovel some dirt on it and walk away.

That is going to contaminate the groundwater with dihydrogen monoxide for sure!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Ive been reading this thread for ever. Live in SE OH, jumping ship from LE to the oil/gas field.  Gonna be working for a frac company, any advice? Thx.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By phuch37:
Ive been reading this thread for ever. Live in SE OH, jumping ship from LE to the oil/gas field.  Gonna be working for a frac company, any advice? Thx.
View Quote

Stay out from under suspended loads, don't stand in front of fluid end caps, eat fruit and veggies, learn everything you can, there is no such thing as "not my job".

Also, wear your respirator around the sand, silicosis is no fun at all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MoparMike:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MoparMike:

Hey! No hating the HSE Techs!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:02:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#20]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

That is going to contaminate the groundwater with dihydrogen monoxide for sure!
View Quote

Man sits down in a bar.  Asks the bartender for some H2O.

Man next to him says: I'll have some H20 too.

Second man died!

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Begin to come up with the many ways you're going to tell your supervisor over the radio that the hopper is in fact full, and you don't give a fuck what the densometer says because it's total bullshit.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Can anyone answer this question.....I will be working 6 on, 3 off schedule.  How do they figure up a two week pay period?  I was told everything is ot after 40hrs. working 12-15 hr days.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pcsutton:

What type of job? I was supposed to be heading up on a Due Diligence project this week, but it appears to have fallen through. Shit...I was all set to be cooler this summer.
View All Quotes

Production engineering (internship for now).  My field is on waterflood, but some of that shale exploration... damn I love it, and to think about running huge pumpjacks on horizontals... those beasts are awesome.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Can anyone answer this question.....I will be working 6 on, 3 off schedule.  How do they figure up a two week pay period?  I was told everything is ot after 40hrs. working 12-15 hr days.
View Quote
Like most other odd rotations, I can only imagine it will lope through some standard payroll week, usually Sunday through Saturday.  Some paychecks will be good, some will be bad-- you have to look at the average over a full cycle of rotations until you get back to the same start-day.

6/3 is kinda weird, as 9 isn't divisible by 7.  I usually see things like 14/7 (21), 7/3/7/4 (21) 11/3 (14), etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:21:53 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I work the same shift at the place I work. Kinda sucks.        Depending on when your first day out is you can get screwed out of overtime a lot.       Just about the time you're over 40 hours you hop onto a new pay period.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok in all honesty do you guy have work for welders?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#27]
shit.  they want me to be line boss.......in August.  are these fuckers trying to kill me?!?!  i don't wanna leave my nice air conditioned blender. one last step to the data van anyway.  then it's pump room or QA
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:29:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#28]

Production engineering (internship for now). My field is on waterflood, but some of that shale exploration... damn I love it, and to think about running huge pumpjacks on horizontals... those beasts are awesome.
View All Quotes

Production engineering (internship for now). My field is on waterflood, but some of that shale exploration... damn I love it, and to think about running huge pumpjacks on horizontals... those beasts are awesome.

Ever see a vertical pumpjack? I saw my first over in West Texas recently...I was fascinated. I also saw an old wooden one.

Back when I was a young feller, we used to ride the smaller conventional ones. Kind of like a mechanical see-saw.

I'm actually looking for one of the really small ones for my front lawn. Haven't found one cheap enough yet.

Good luck on the internship!

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Gator96:

Begin to come up with the many ways you're going to tell your supervisor over the radio that the hopper is in fact full, and you don't give a fuck what the densometer says because it's total bullshit.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gator96:

LOL!

Don't piss off the blender tender when you are standing right below the tub.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larkinmusic] [#30]
Originally Posted By wormgod:
shit.  they want me to be line boss.......in August.  are these fuckers trying to kill me?!?!  i don't wanna leave my nice air conditioned blender. one last step to the data van anyway.  then it's pump room or QA
View Quote

I love being line boss.   Fuck the blender.  I did my six months and got the fuck off of it (Ours didn't have a doghouse, just stood there out in the open).  The only time I run it now is if we are short handed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Ever see a vertical pumpjack? I saw my first over in West Texas recently...I was fascinated. I also saw an old wooden one.

Back when I was a young feller, we used to ride the smaller conventional ones. Kind of like a mechanical see-saw.

I'm actually looking for one of the really small ones for my front lawn. Haven't found one cheap enough yet.
View Quote

Haven't seen those before; very cool.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#32]
thx mole! Guy at company said i would avg bout 70 hrs a week
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Actually,  I have , two different types in person so far, one WFT Rotaflex and then another one that goes by the name SSI (Sure Stroke Intelligent) Lift.  I heard the Rotaflexes may be a bit of a hassle at times, and haven't heard about the SSI in the field personally, but we just installed one maybe three weeks ago and it looks awesome. That thing as a 288" stroke length.  What's better, is that we put it right next to a big old (ok, its actually pretty new) Lufkin 144" stroke conventional (probably a 912 or 1280) and we got to see them pumping next to one another.  Man, what a difference in just about everything.  Now all that remains to be seen is the reliability.  Winters in Wyoming aren't all that different from those in ND at times, so it remains to be seen if the unit will be finicky.  Any of those slow stroke verticals supposedly do marvels on reducing rod wear.  I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.  

As for those little cute ones, I fully intend on getting one some day for my lawn as well.  You need to look in the Appalachian region, I worked there last summer and they were everywhere.  Tons of history too, I'll post pics of those too.  Lots of wood rocking beams, steam locomotives, line and shackle systems still rigged up and producing still.  It's awesome. In fact, some of the wells still had Chestnut rods! How cool is that?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm happy I'm not the only one wanting a small pump jack.  But I've already got a line on one.  A friend of mine said his uncle had one he was wanting to get rid of and has promised it to me.  When he's fully ready to part with it I'm supposed to be in line to get it lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:24:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#35]
Things are still moving along where I am at.  Within the last month saw some very promising signs of pipeline construction and new pads being staked.  On the lighter side, one pad staked is smack dab in the front yard (ok, field) of a house I had hopped to build in the next couple years.  I might end up getting a full sized front yard pump jack for free (as long as it is pumping that is).

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm happy I'm not the only one wanting a small pump jack. But I've already got a line on one. A friend of mine said his uncle had one he was wanting to get rid of and has promised it to me. When he's fully ready to part with it I'm supposed to be in line to get it lol
View Quote

Great minds think alike, huh?

Whatcha gonna do with it?  

I want one to put outside my office here at my house.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Actually, I have , two different types in person so far, one WFT Rotaflex and then another one that goes by the name SSI (Sure Stroke Intelligent) Lift. I heard the Rotaflexes may be a bit of a hassle at times, and haven't heard about the SSI in the field personally, but we just installed one maybe three weeks ago and it looks awesome. That thing as a 288" stroke length. What's better, is that we put it right next to a big old (ok, its actually pretty new) Lufkin 144" stroke conventional (probably a 912 or 1280) and we got to see them pumping next to one another. Man, what a difference in just about everything. Now all that remains to be seen is the reliability. Winters in Wyoming aren't all that different from those in ND at times, so it remains to be seen if the unit will be finicky. Any of those slow stroke verticals supposedly do marvels on reducing rod wear. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

As for those little cute ones, I fully intend on getting one some day for my lawn as well. You need to look in the Appalachian region, I worked there last summer and they were everywhere. Tons of history too, I'll post pics of those too. Lots of wood rocking beams, steam locomotives, line and shackle systems still rigged up and producing still. It's awesome. In fact, some of the wells still had Chestnut rods! How cool is that?

View All Quotes

Actually, I have , two different types in person so far, one WFT Rotaflex and then another one that goes by the name SSI (Sure Stroke Intelligent) Lift. I heard the Rotaflexes may be a bit of a hassle at times, and haven't heard about the SSI in the field personally, but we just installed one maybe three weeks ago and it looks awesome. That thing as a 288" stroke length. What's better, is that we put it right next to a big old (ok, its actually pretty new) Lufkin 144" stroke conventional (probably a 912 or 1280) and we got to see them pumping next to one another. Man, what a difference in just about everything. Now all that remains to be seen is the reliability. Winters in Wyoming aren't all that different from those in ND at times, so it remains to be seen if the unit will be finicky. Any of those slow stroke verticals supposedly do marvels on reducing rod wear. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

As for those little cute ones, I fully intend on getting one some day for my lawn as well. You need to look in the Appalachian region, I worked there last summer and they were everywhere. Tons of history too, I'll post pics of those too. Lots of wood rocking beams, steam locomotives, line and shackle systems still rigged up and producing still. It's awesome. In fact, some of the wells still had Chestnut rods! How cool is that?

That's flat-ass amazing! Looking forward to pics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Sharin' time... starting back east in the hills of WV...

One of my favorites from back east... follow that flow line...

Next up, a brief tour of a historical location in West Vriginia home to the state's first oil well.  Here we have an old unit, a Spencer Machine and Supply pumpjack...

Followed by a continuous pumping system wheel, much like the good old line and shackle systems you see in historic pics of California when derricks were still around, except this one is from the late 1800s and was in WV.

I'll have to look around for the pictures of the rods, they're not where I thought they were or I deleted them...

I have a batch of steam engines used to work pumps next, starting with a 1878 climax engine.  One of the engineers around here said they still had some of the climax engines out here in Wyoming in reserve well into the 60s!

A vertical unit to move the big old belts attached to the walking beams...

Would be attached to something like this...

Which coincidentally still has its original Bessemer engine...

Finally for tonight, I leave you with the Rathbone well. They retrofitted it about a decade ago, and after 150 + years, it can still produce! Even after being burned up during the Civil War among other things.

The original reducer and walking beam...

Which was powered by this (I think it still works too)

Apparently all this great history is kept up by a small and aging group of volunteers and could really benefit from a cash influx.  It's worth a trip if you're ever passing through WV on I-77. Oil history museums are far and few between. I'll post more when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
I'm happy I'm not the only one wanting a small pump jack. But I've already got a line on one. A friend of mine said his uncle had one he was wanting to get rid of and has promised it to me. When he's fully ready to part with it I'm supposed to be in line to get it lol

I'm gonna put mine out side of my shop / man cave when we get our house built.  I've been looking at ways to rig them up make them jack up and down.  I'd love an old smaller derrick to put next to it but the wife would shoot me if I constructed one.  The neighbours will probably be pissed off enough about the pump jack.  But they can get boned.  I'm not taking it down once I get it set up

Sharin' time... starting back east in the hills of WV...

One of my favorites from back east... follow that flow line...

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/PA230031_zpseea0cf1e.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/PA230030_zps479aea28.jpg

Next up, a brief tour of a historical location in West Vriginia home to the state's first oil well.  Here we have an old unit, a Spencer Machine and Supply pumpjack...

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4748_zps94700ba2.jpg

Followed by a continuous pumping system wheel, much like the good old line and shackle systems you see in historic pics of California when derricks were still around, except this one is from the late 1800s and was in WV.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4749_zpsdf3cee0f.jpg

I'll have to look around for the pictures of the rods, they're not where I thought they were or I deleted them...

I have a batch of steam engines used to work pumps next, starting with a 1878 climax engine.  One of the engineers around here said they still had some of the climax engines out here in Wyoming in reserve well into the 60s!

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4752_zpsde5a8aa4.jpg

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4754_zpsd38a8e72.jpg

A vertical unit to move the big old belts attached to the walking beams...

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4756_zps97b7f0dd.jpg

Would be attached to something like this...

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4838_zps655e28c1.jpg

Which coincidentally still has its original Bessemer engine...

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4841_zpsdab3119a.jpg

Finally for tonight, I leave you with the Rathbone well. They retrofitted it about a decade ago, and after 150 + years, it can still produce! Even after being burned up during the Civil War among other things.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4783_zps01367c46.jpg

The original reducer and walking beam...

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4774_zps9e7477f8.jpg

Which was powered by this (I think it still works too)

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSCN4775_zps3bdd0934.jpg

Apparently all this great history is kept up by a small and aging group of volunteers and could really benefit from a cash influx.  It's worth a trip if you're ever passing through WV on I-77. Oil history museums are far and few between. I'll post more when I get a chance.

That's amazing.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#41]
In 2 short days I will be heading to Minot to look at housing and hopefully finalize a move. I assume if you are in the area finding oilfield work will be easier. If not it seems like many places pay WAY better than where I am now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:50:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#42]
Thanks for the photos!! Very cool old stuff. That stuff is part of my family heritage.

All those wells had to have been drilled by cable tool rigs. A rotary rig would take 500' of drill collars and still just sit there and bounce in that rock.

Many years ago, there was a time that I dressed tools, drilled and ultimately pushed tools on some old Bucyrus Erie cable tool rigs. It's an art to holding the 'rope' and feeling what the bit is doing down-hole...and when the hole needs bailing. I drilled numerous shallow wells in western Kentucky back in the day. A 'spudder' will make hole when a rotary can't get deep enough to put any weight on the bit and will just bounce on the rock. We didn't have hydraulic pull-down rigs back then.

The last company I worked for, where I was drilling superintendent, was a small operator called Quasar. They had 2 cable tool and 3 small 'folding base double' rotary rigs (6,000' capable). That was back in the 70's. I was lots younger.

As my great Grandfather was a pumper in Butler County, PA back in the late 1800's....this shit is in my blood. My Grandfather was a promoter and operator, and my Father was a Landman. I'm 4th generation Oil Field Trash...and damn proud of it.

'Merican Energy....fuck yeah!!

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I've found my future yard pumpjack...

This little guy was pumping a rather famous historical, monoclinal, shallow oil field in eastern Wyoming.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#44]

I've found my future yard pumpjack...

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/notac311/Oilfield/DSC04629_zps05219e27.jpg

This little guy was pumping a rather famous historical, monoclinal, shallow oil field in eastern Wyoming.
View Quote

That's exactly what I'm wanting!
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By nickforney:
Ok in all honesty do you guy have work for welders?
View Quote

Dude right now you can name your price (if you can pass your pipeline exam)

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:11:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Monday was my first day, spent time getting PPE/FRCs, then was yard bitch lol.   Tuesday was first day on platform, on the sand, learned some cool stuff.  We had one stage left, then BAMMMM, rig down!  Holy shit! Im wearing shorts and a tank top next time.  Nearly passed out, from wearing jeans/tshirt under FRCs.  Work with some very cool guys.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Old School Tag-gage!
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Monday was my first day, spent time getting PPE/FRCs, then was yard bitch lol.   Tuesday was first day on platform, on the sand, learned some cool stuff.  We had one stage left, then BAMMMM, rig down!  Holy shit! Im wearing shorts and a tank top next time.  Nearly passed out, from wearing jeans/tshirt under FRCs.  Work with some very cool guys.
View Quote
boxers and a t-shirt under the FRC, kick em off and put on your shorts and a new shirt to go home.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pbaeod:
I will be elegible for Military retirement in 4 years and I really want to get into wild well control when I am done, seems like the only thing that would come close.
View Quote

Learn to dance.

Whoops.....wrong guy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 2:57:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Man we were drilling our ass off. Running about 120 foot an hour and then BOOOOM twisted off. We left BHA / MWD / and a shit fon of pipe in the ground. Looks like I'm about to get some ass time.

View All Quotes

Congrats on the job worm lol

Originally Posted By TexasDoubleTap:
boxers and a t-shirt under the FRC, kick em off and put on your shorts and a new shirt to go home.

I wear gym shorts and a t shirt under mine.  It's to fucking hot to not try to get as naked as you can before you pull the FRs on lol
Page / 94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top