BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear carhartt 5-6 days of the week, 7 if it's cold out and I put on my sherpa lined coat.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
here is another add from them

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
my coat that i got last year was made in the usa

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've owned 3 Carharts jackets in my life, all three fell apart waaaay too fucking fast. Frayed all to shit.

I'll never buy another, they're not even that warm.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Assuming they still have a hand.

Safety procedures FTMFW.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've owned 3 Carharts jackets in my life, all three fell apart waaaay too fucking fast. Frayed all to shit.

What did you replace them with?

I only got like 3 years of hard use out of my last one before it started to fray bad, but replaced it with another because I needed it that day.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carhart was urban thug wear in the 90s for awhile. Still lots of guys who really work for a living wear it. Sorry to hear production moved overseas. I guess my us Carhart is a collectors item.  

I agree that that is a pretty good ad.

I'm pretty sure that Dickies was the brand of choice of hoodlums.

It was Carhartt in these parts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Where would an out-of-work Union Clothing assembler find a job now?

Unions win again.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Right now I'm wearing Diamond Gusset Jeans.

I've owned, worn and worked in plenty of Carhartt stuff over the years ... in fact, am even wearing a pair of Carhartt shorts right now.  However, I'm not really all that interested in buying more of their stuff.  

OTOH, I have been interested in checking out the DG Jeans.

How do you like them?

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Due to competition from other apparel manufacturers and pressure to drive down prices, many of Carhartt's non-core apparel items have been increasingly outsourced abroad. Some countries where outsourcing is and has been done are: Honduras, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, China, and the Philippines."

I prefer to buy American.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carhart was urban thug wear in the 90s for awhile. Still lots of guys who really work for a living wear it. Sorry to hear production moved overseas. I guess my us Carhart is a collectors item.  

I agree that that is a pretty good ad.

Im pretty sure that Dickies was the brand of choice of hoodlums.

Yep, that was the case around here anyway.
Carhart stuff was in style when I was in junior high/freshman in high school.  This was western NY.  I still have and wear the same jacket I had in high school.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Carhartt and other work wear are cut bigger and come in bigger sizes to go over clothes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

here is another add from them

http://chineseposters.net/images/e16-17.jpg

I'd hit it.

Hard.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

kawasuki clothes for the win...

I have one of thier barn coats that must be 20 yrs old.  The cuffs on the sleeves are a little frayed, but I'm a metal fabricator and wear it to work when the weather gets cooler. Don't know where it was made I can't read the tag, the printing has been washed away long time ago.  Probably made  overseas and had tags printed in ohio put on it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been buying a lot of Berne workwear lately. I won't buy Carhartt because I've watched their prices double and their quality nosedive over the past couple of years. Berne seems to make pretty good stuff, I hadn't even heard of them and then when I was working in Nebraska that's all the little farm supply places carried.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
The Carhartts I bought in the 90's held up well . Over 10 years of abuse to bibs and coat while building houses, ect . They did get fairly worn but still were warm and lasted.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Carhartts I bought in the 90's held up well . Over 10 years of abuse to bibs and coat while building houses, ect . They did get fairly worn but still were warm and lasted.

Theres two weights of canvas available, if you get the heavier one theres no wearing it out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just the other day I went to Tractor Supply.
Found a pair of Carrhart boots I liked and started to the checkout with them.
About halfway there I noticed the "Made in China" tag.
Put them back on the shelf and walked out.

good call on putting them back. I bought a pair and they were one of the worst pair of boots I've owned. The lace eyes were sharp and I would go through a pair of strings about once a month and after a year the soles started coming apart.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I thought Carhartt was made in china now?

My Carhartt socks from Walmart were made in USA.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Carhartt coat for the winter, burned a hole in the sleeve the first week I had it   It still works great though.   I had the wife get me a XXXL one to wear over my flight gear while deployed.   We didn't get issued any real winter coats and even in Iraq, when you are flying at night, it gets cold.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't care where they are made, they are good work clothes.  If the quality falls, I'll find something else.

The quality between 10 years ago and now is definitely different.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I've worn carhaart to work, I've worn $1200 suits to work, now I wear shorts, a polo shirt, and deck shoes.

Same guy.

Fuck that "working man is better than you" bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This exchange brought back a memory I had long forgotten.

I was dating a girl and she was a dirty, dirty little whore.  One time she showed up to a party wearing a pair of Carhartt overalls, and absolutely nothing underneath.  This was obvious to pretty much everybody, I mean if you looked at her from the side you could basically see her entire tit.

The party went on and of course people were leering at her and stuff.  She asked me to come into the bathroom with her, dropped those overalls into a little puddle of denim and bent over the tub and told me to fuck her.

I happily obliged, then she pulled them back up and we walked out together.  Everybody at that party knew what had just happened, it was one of the rare times in life I got to be a hero.

Good times.

This Thread is easy to Masterbate to!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care where they are made, they are good work clothes.  If the quality falls, I'll find something else.

Not true at all. Ive been buying it for atleast 20 years now. Its still as good as it ever was. I will agree the boots and the socks both suck, but the coats, double front workpants and bibs are the best you can buy.

I will admit that the set of bibs and coat I bought at TSC, the Schmidt branded stuff has been holding up well and is warm as hell come January.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't noticed any difference in 15+ years.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#31]
So if I see someone wearing Carhartt,I am supposed to walk up to them and shake their hand for some reason.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that I don't get called a fag and punched in the throat for staring at some guys clothes and then approaching him..

What exactly am I supposed to say to this guy ?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Fuck that "working man is better than you" bullshit.

Not sure where you got that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#33]
edit because I hit reply instead of quote.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
"Due to competition from other apparel manufacturers and pressure to drive down prices, many of Carhartt's non-core apparel items have been increasingly outsourced abroad. Some countries where outsourcing is and has been done are: Honduras, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, China, and the Philippines."

I prefer to buy American.
I wonder if noncore means stuff like t shirts and hats while the work jackets are still made here?

That's probably what they're doing.  I just checked the tag inside my hat, evidently it was made in China.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So if I see someone wearing Carhartt,I am supposed to walk up to them and shake their hand for some reason.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that I don't get called a fag and punched in the throat for staring at some guys clothes and then approaching him..

The commercial was only 30 seconds and the point was pretty specific.

I know better than to ask in GD for anyone to sit and watch something for more than two minutes and actually be able to follow and undertand, but 30 damn seconds?

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They are made in several countries where labor is cheap.  I think their stuff is still better made than a lot of work clothes.  I am amazed how much the cost of Carhartt work wear has gone up since last year at this time!

Yep, I just bought one of the sherpa lined jackets for work and it was around $150.

Best $150 I could have spent, that thing is super warm. Beats the HELL out of those basic mechanic jackets I've been using for the last 10+ years.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought Carhartt was made in china now?

Half made in China, half made by thug union

i think i have one of their shirts around here somewhere. i'll check later.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The commercial was only 30 seconds and the point was pretty specific.

I know better than to ask in GD for anyone to sit and watch something for more than two minutes and actually be able to follow and undertand, but 30 damn seconds?

What am I supposed to say,does it say at the end of the commercial ? I only watched the first 11 seconds.

I like the other girl in your avatar better,who is she ?

And why are they wearing Subnet's hat ?

What are your thoughts on Islam and the movie Avatar ?

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#39]
My Carharrt jacket was made in the USA by Union labor.  It's the warmest and toughest coat I've ever owned and I would not hesitate to buy another.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What am I supposed to say,does it say at the end of the commercial ? I only watched the first 11 seconds.

I like the other girl in your avatar better,who is she ?

And why are they wearing Subnet's hat ?

What are your thoughts on Islam and the movie Avatar ?

You aren't supposed to say anything.  You are supposed to notice that their hand is dirty and calloused.

The other girl was named Laura Dahl

They are wearing Subnet's hat because I have a bromance with him.

I never watched Avatar, I don't go to movie theaters and in-home 3D isn't ready for prime time IMO.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did you replace them with?

I only got like 3 years of hard use out of my last one before it started to fray bad, but replaced it with another because I needed it that day.

I replaced my last CH jacket with a C.E. Schmidts duck jacket from TSC. It was about 1/2 the price, and so far is holding up better.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#42]
She was brunette,the avatar girl I was talking about.

That's cool with you and Subnet,he seems like a nice guy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The only brunette I've ever had as an avatar is the current one.

And he is indeed a very nice guy.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They are made in several countries where labor is cheap.  I think their stuff is still better made than a lot of work clothes.  I am amazed how much the cost of Carhartt work wear has gone up since last year at this time!

$40 for a non insulated cotton zip up hoodie.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean where the sleeve rubs against the jacket? Mine did that but it was no big deal, still held up well, but I only used it as a work coat.  

Not that warm? What what what? I've been out in terrible weather with a Carhart. You need something under neath as a layer but it's a really solid windproof shell. Not great in wet weather but not designed for that. Not really something I would wear in a tree stand sitting still for 8 hours but it's a work coat, not a parka.

Really surprised you were unhappy with yours they are THE jacket that guys around here have.

I mean they just fell the fuck apart. Pockets coming unstitched, frayed so bad that the entire sleeves just gave way, all the way around. I've also had a couple of them have bad zippers, and needed to get those replaced at a seamstress. I'm not even that hard on jackets, really. My brother works in the oil fields, and he's had the same experience he won't buy them anymore...prefers the CE Schmidts from TSC as I answered above, cheaper and same performance.

On being warm, I guess it's subjective but a lot of people claim they're great in cold weather I thought they sucked even with base layers. I have a windproof 3/1 jacket from Sportsman's guide that was $40 that's warmer than the biggest carhart jacket I owned.

The other thing that bothered me with Carharts especially with the overalls is they shrink like a motherfucker, and not consistently. I bought a size too big and they shrunk so bad I couldn't wear them, or return them. The next ones I bought I bought two sizes large and it barely shrunk...so of course then it's giant on me. I gave it to a big friend. Ugh.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a Carhartt coat for the winter, burned a hole in the sleeve the first week I had it   It still works great though.   I had the wife get me a XXXL one to wear over my flight gear while deployed.   We didn't get issued any real winter coats and even in Iraq, when you are flying at night, it gets cold.

Now, that would make a great commercial.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I am thinking of Subnet's avatar...It was a Latin chick.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I am thinking of Subnet's avatar...It was a Latin chick.

Probably.  I made it for him after Jim Tressel was fired.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Carhartt has ceased production of their USA, Union-Made Product Line.

Damn shame too, it was very well built stuff.

Must be why they got a Canadian to do the ads ... outsourcing.

I hate canadian accents.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I always thought they faded really bad. I owned a pair of insulated and non-insulated bibs and both pr seemed to fade to almost to white in just a couple years. They held-up fine but just faded bad.

I only wore them while metal-detecting but they got a real work-out. Same with a Carhart blanket lined chore-coat I had. They were all of the old mustard-brown color. That said as they got really dirty/muddy they got washed a good bit.  

Do the other colors they sell now fade so bad after washing?

The only Carhartt's I have that don't fade terribly are the lightweight pants which still fade at a lesser extent.  All the heavy weight stuff fades really bad, turning white on the edges.

In my experience the cotton duck stuff doesn't last for shit, the cuffs on all my barn coats would always start fraying within one year back when I was stripping cables in a warehouse. That was over 15 years ago and I imagine that those coats were made in the US then.

The other grip I have with thier heavier weight dungarees is you can't order them you must try them on before hand since two pairs marked the exact same size can vary wildly in actual size.  I always had to be sure to get them on the long side since they would shrink every damn time I would wash them.  If I didn't get them too long, I would be wearing high waters in a month or two.

Not a big Carhartt fan here.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top