Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2011 6:52:19 PM EDT
..but I want to jump out of an airplane. For the past few years I've had a strong desire to skydive. The idea scares the shit out of me, yet at the same time, I feel compelled to do it. I think it would an incredible experience. I also think it would be cool if the first time I ever flew, I jumped out of the plane.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, I know a way you can get paid to do it!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
How have you never flown????????/

ETA: A male donkey?? That would be.... weird!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I also think it would be cool if the first time I ever flew, I jumped out of the plane.

That would be cool.

I think it would be cool to go skydiving with another pilot and Id fly it to altitude and jump out of it and the other guy could fly it down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
is it cold under that rock?
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very easy, you've not been on a plane.

I've never flown either, never had the need to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The first five times I rode in an airplane I jumped out the door. Thanks to the U.S. Army, of course.

I finally got the pleasure of landing in an aircraft...it just took a while.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Planes will take you anywhere in this world, and beyond!  Just saying...

I flew private and commercial 30 - 40 years ago.  Now I have NO desire to fly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

for reals, yo....wtf

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm 29 and have never flown either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ETA: A male donkey?? That would be.... weird!!!!

Nice ETA.

I've just never been anywhere that required flying. I've been out west once, but we drove. Every other trip has been east of the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

for reals, yo....wtf

I haven't flown in 12 years, but yeah I struggle to see never being on a plane before,
How old are you op?
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]
You can jump out of all of them you want, it's not for me.
I'll haul your ass up there and if want to jump out go for it.
I'll keep going up and do some aerobatics while I'm at it before I land.
I do wear a parachute every time I fly - I just hope I never have to use it.......
To each their own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You can make cool conversations on your next flight about how you have never landed in an airplane before.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Landing is my favorite part...

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

for reals, yo....wtf

I haven't flown in 12 years, but yeah I struggle to see never being on a plane before,
How old are you op?

I'm 24.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Ever wonder if some planes never come down?
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
So sign up for a first jump course and AFF1 jump at your local DZ. Should be about $300.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Jesus fuck, there are millions of people in the U.S. who have never flown. It's not like he's some nekkid savage who's never seen a camera before.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
do a Tandem Jump that should run you about $150

Sky Diving is one of the greatest thing you can do with your cloth on.

I have been doing this since 1997 and just love it.

Blue Skies

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
..but I want to jump out of an airplane. For the past few years I've had a strong desire to skydive. The idea scares the shit out of me, yet at the same time, I feel compelled to do it. I think it would an incredible experience. I also think it would be cool if the first time I ever flew, I jumped out of the plane.

dont yack
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#21]
AFF 1.

Just get off your ass and go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Blue Skies

Quick google search shows that I can do it in my state for under $200.

Quoted:
Quoted:

dont yack

Wonder if I could do it Aladdin style on a flying carpet....

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for reals, yo....wtf

For reals

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I've jumped out of all kinds of stuff from hot air balloons and helicopters to a commercial jet

a month ago, several of us went and did a HALO jump from 30,000'
we're going again next year

we're also looking at doing a jump from a blimp.

the sky is there for the taking.. go get it.

a Tandem is the quickest, most fun way to do your first jump.
if you have your heart set on doing it yourself, that too is possible, just takes a bit more time and possibly more money up front.
once you go skydiving, your life will change.  you'll be ruined for a lot of things others call "exciting".

any questions, just give me a shout out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hell, I know a way you can get paid to do it!!

Well.......I'm 24, still in college, trying to figure out wtf I wanna do with my life. I'm getting bored, and enlisting has been on my mind a lot lately.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue Skies

Quick google search shows that I can do it in my state for under $200.

Quoted:
Quoted:

dont yack

Wonder if I could do it Aladdin style on a flying carpet....

Not for nothing but there are some things in life you need to take a close look at before you take the cheapest deal on the block.

Friend of mine took a cut rate skydiveing course back 30 or more years and the pilot got in some wind and dumped a planeload of new folks in a bunch of bad places.
One landed in power lines, a couple were all beat up landing in trees and my friend went into a lake. Lucky my friend is a very strong swimmer .
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Be advised:

Static line parachuting in the military is not the same as civilian skydiving. Skydiving is like driving on the Autobahn. Static line in the Army is more like...demolition derby.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]
This happened a couple weeks ago down the road from me.

Didn't work out too well for these guys
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]
You have never flown? Dude, you've not lived yet!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Jesus fuck, there are millions of people in the U.S. who have never flown. It's not like he's some nekkid savage who's never seen a camera before.

Ishi was the first person that came to mind when I read that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

if you don't skydive for your first time in a plane, I suggest making it special, .... anything other than a commercial (we treat you like cattle) airliner.

Bi-planes, gliders, war  birds, etc.. you'll experience the glory of aviation better this way.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you don't skydive for your first time in a plane, I suggest making it special, .... anything other than a commercial (we treat you like cattle) airliner.

Bi-planes, gliders, war  birds, etc.. you'll experience the glory of aviation better this way.  

Almost did a helicopter flight in Mobile a few years ago, but I pussed out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bi-planes, gliders, war  birds, etc.. you'll experience the glory of aviation vomit then soil yourself better this way.  

Fixed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I've flown all over the world, private and commercial flights on hundreds of occasions.

You wont see me flying again anytime soon, I'm done with that.

ETA:  Unless it's in a chopper man, those things are fucking awesome.  Most amazing flights of my life have been in teh birdz.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been skydiving since March, 22 jumps so far, can't get enough of it. Sunday was my first time actually to land in a plane (barring airliners when I was 5 years old or younger traveling with my Army Dad). We had to come down because it was too overcast and the cloud ceiling was too low.

We waited on the tarmac for a while and the clouds cleared a little, so we went up and I jumped. It was amazing, I can't really describe it very well; it was still fairly overcast so it was a literal sea of white clouds from horizon to horizon. I was glad to have tinted goggles. In free fall, the clouds gave me a sense of scale and I realized how small I was in comparison to my surroundings, amazing feeling.

I was nearing pull altitude and was trying to track to this hole in the clouds, but I'm not very good at tracking yet so I ended up punching through this big fluffy one and coming out right at my intended pull altitude.

That being said, go for it OP. It's worse than BRD
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I would have the terrible desire to listen to this before jumping out:

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#37]
First time I was ever in an airplane was skydiving.  It was worth it to go once but I wouldn't pay for it again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Did a tandem jump on my 27th birthday.  It's a very memorable experience.  Nothing like your ass hanging completely outside of a plane at 14,000 feet (we were closer to 15,000) and then jumping out.  

The first few seconds are the rush... feels like your gut is going to come up into your head... but once you hit terminal velocity, there's really no real sensation of falling.  It just feels like you're standing in some REALLY strong wind.  

When the main was deployed, it felt like quickly swinging from a laying position to a standing up position, and it gets pretty quiet.  It can be pretty peaceful.  Hard turns are fun, better than a rollercoaster if you like that shit.  

I'd definitely recommend doing it at least once in your life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Took my first(and probably only) skydive tandem jump a year ago Saturday. Broke the shit out of my right leg. Doctor put it back together the way it was, mostly. My foot is now canted laterally about 5 degrees out of spec.

I would consider doing it again, but I'd have to get a divorce first.  Maybe if I ever get divorced I'll celebrate with another jump. I could see doing that at about 80 years old.

Have fun with your plane ride.

ETA: not going to paste up the pics directly to rain on the picnic, but here they are, if anyone wants to see my "broke to shit" leg.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Well, in our defense, he is from Mississippi.

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Be advised:

Static line parachuting in the military is not the same as civilian skydiving. Skydiving is like driving on the Autobahn. Static line in the Army is more like...demolition derby.

Stevie Wonder demolition derby......

Skydiving you see the ground before you land.

Army static line you listen for your fellow paratroopers grunting and calling out "fuck" and "damn" from the pitch blackness to know you'll slam into the ground like a 300 lb sack of potatos in exactly 2.3 seconds. With any luck you miss the re-bar......
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#42]
....... now, if you've got $200,000. in a knapsack ....... and you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane .......
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Several things to keep in mind:

1) In the short history of flight not a single plane has ever landed. Every flight ends with the pilot intentionally flying his plane into the ground. Jump the hell out and avoid the stigma of being a crash survivor.

2) The lower you jump, the scarier it is. Eight hundred feet off the ground looks like 100 feet - you will be terrified. Ten thousand feet - not as scary.

3) Slip right to avoid collisions.

4) Lower jumper has the right of way

5) Items dropped by jumpers above you have the right of way, every single friggin' time.

6) If you forget your chute, don't jump.

7) Never jump if the plane behind you is at lower altitude.

8) If you don't have life insurance, don't subscribe to skydiving magazines. During the application process they'll find out. You'll be seen as high risk.

9) Its not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end. Try to avoid the sudden stops.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:01:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I've been waiting for a chance to post this:

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very easy, you've not been on a plane.

I've never flown either, never had the need to.

I had gone 30yrs before having to fly.  Had to for the 1st time 2yrs ago.  I prefer to stay on the ground.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't worry, this Christmas will be the first time I've flown commercial airlines. I've never landed in a plane before

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry, this Christmas will be the first time I've flown commercial airlines. I've never landed in a plane before

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
ATW brother.

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/sfdude/leg2.jpg

who jumps from 1250? I want to go there!!! All of ours are 800-850
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Just do it man.  Skydiving is fun as hell. I'd love to do it again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/sfdude/leg2.jpg

who jumps from 1250? I want to go there!!! All of ours are 800-850
5 Jump Chumps... that's who.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top