Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/18/2011 4:02:28 PM EDT
AEDC sets record with largest aircraft model to conduct B-52H store separation test

Posted 10/10/2011  

http://www.arnold.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123275270

by Philip Lorenz III
AEDC/PA

10/10/2011 - ARNOLD AIR FORCE BASE, Tenn. –– The Air Force's oldest legacy bomber still in service, the B-52H Stratofortress, is in the midst of major weapons and flight systems upgrades, including a capability to drop smart bombs from the plane's internal weapons bay.

AEDC has 40-plus years of store separation experience, but this test entry is unique and challenging in several ways, according to Doyle Veazey, the ATA store separation section manager.

"We have never tested a store separation aircraft model of this size in our wind tunnels," he said. "For that matter, our design group and Model Shop have never fabricated a store separation test article this large."

http://www.arnold.af.mil/photos/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=3426
More images

Work started last November when the B-52H Program Office agreed to fund a wind tunnel test program and the Air Force SEEK Eagle Office provided CAD (computer-aided design) geometry files to AEDC's design personnel.

The Air Force is upgrading the B-52's internal weapons bay to expand the aircraft's payload by roughly two-thirds, according to Lt. Gen. James Kowalski, commander of Air Force Global Strike Command.

"The B-52 delivers the widest variety of stand-off, direct-attack nuclear and conventional weapons in the Air Force and we have been investing in multiple improvements," General Kowalski told an audience recently during a National Defense University Foundation-sponsored address in Washington, D.C.

This effort represents the "most significant B-52 modernization since the [1980s] and will add 21st century capability to the aircraft," Kowalski said.

Major improvements include new flight control software to enhance targeting pod capabilities and incorporate miniature air launched decoys onto the B-52, as well as a modern digital communications system. With progress thus far, General Kowalski said he expects the B-52's combat network communications technology upgrade to enter low-rate production by 2013.

For AEDC's role in the B-52H store separation testing, the design team, led by Scott Wieland, has worked concurrently with projects representatives, who established requirements and shop personnel, all on a highly accelerated timeline.

Since January, AEDC's Model Shop has been busy fabricating and assembling the components making up the approximately 3,400-pound aluminum and steel B-52H model, at 10-percent scale, to undergo store separation testing in the center's 16-foot propulsion wind tunnel in August.

Veazey said the upcoming test will support a more efficient and effective weapons system platform.

"The Global Strike Command has a requirement to put weapons into the [internal] weapons bay of the B-52H that historically have not been there, specifically Global Positioning System (GPS) weapons, like the MALD (Miniature Air Launched Decoy), the JASSM (Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile) and the several variants of JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munition)," he said. "The requirement is to carry them internally in the weapons bay. That reduces the aerodynamic drag on the airplane and allows for extended range missions of the B-52H.

"That's one way to get more energy efficient, to bring those weapons internal. It also allows them to carry more weapons on a B-52H. They can load up the wing pylons' two Heavy Stores Adapter Beams and they can load up the new Conventional Stores Rotary Launcher internally."

Safe release of the stores from the aircraft is imperative for a successful mission to protect the crew, avoid damaging the airplane or the stores and accurately strike the targets.

"Bay separations from any airplane are complex and dynamic enough as it is, but when you combine that bay separation with stores that are not necessarily aerodynamically stable to begin with, it just really makes things even more challenging," Veazey said. "Aside from the safety of the crew, the risk to the weapons and the airplane is a real concern."

The primary measurements obtained during a store separation test are the force and moments of the separating store in the flow field of the airplane.

"There will be captive trajectories, pseudo-freestream and aerodynamic grid data that will be acquired, the usual CTS (captive trajectory support) test techniques," Veazey said. "Pseudo-freestream testing means the aircraft model is in the tunnel during CTS store model freestream data acquisition."

If a test article is too large, it can block enough of the airflow in the wind tunnel to adversely affect the test.

"The total blockage of the model is one of the things we were concerned about," said JT Thompson, ATA project engineer.

Veazey said, "It is about 2.2 percent, which is higher than desired from an aerodynamicist's perspective, but for store separation work, that's tolerable. We're using CFD (computational fluid dynamics) to support that engineering judgment."

The test team plans to use one other tool to ensure the stores deploy safely from the B-52H model and that blockage is not an issue with the test.

"One of the things we're looking at using during the course of the test is Background-Oriented Schlieren (BOS), which may help show some flow characteristics around the test articles," Veazey explained. "This technique, installed and operated by ATA Technology personnel, uses a simple optical set-up consisting of a structured background pattern, an electronic camera with a high shutter speed and a high-intensity light source. Then special COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) software is used to process the images and produce the final product.

"This first B-52H store separation effort will result in AEDC employing all its capabilities from planning, design, fabrication, testing, computations and analysis and reporting. Combining that with the ongoing collaboration with the B-52H Program Office, AFSEO and the several weapons program offices and their contractors makes this a truly 'Integrated Test and Evaluation' program."
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I have that model when they're done with it?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can I have that model when they're done with it?

This, I need something to hang over my bar
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
How many operational B-52's are there?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
i lubs the buff
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And how much longer can they possibly fly?  This is nuts... these planes are all 50 years old!  We should be designing new planes... except that would automatically turn into a trillion dollar boondoggle.

One of these days, they're going to find some crack or stress in a couple of Buffs, ground 'em all, and that'll be that for our airborne strategic capability
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Old Dog technology?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Took a second look before I noticed that the model in question was inverted...
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
They should give the bird modern engines if possible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Good! The Buff is that favorite rifle in the arsenal - and old rifle, but when it fires; it gives you massive wood.

LeMay is smiling; his favorite bird is still kicking ass and taking names.

Nothing like a Buff taking off to let you know someone on the other side of the planet is going to get his ass kicked hard.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
B52 + UAV stealth fighters on internal rotary launchers = global air superiority force that makes F22 jocks throw up their hands in frustration.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how much longer can they possibly fly?  This is nuts... these planes are all 50 years old!  We should be designing new planes... except that would automatically turn into a trillion dollar boondoggle.

One of these days, they're going to find some crack or stress in a couple of Buffs, ground 'em all, and that'll be that for our airborne strategic capability

They are expected to remain flying until 2045 according to the interwebs. It will be weird for pilots in 2045 flying the last B52's knowing their great grand parents generation were the first generation to fly them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Took a second look before I noticed that the model in question was inverted...

Inverted flight for B-52 is now approved at all altitudes.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They should give the bird modern engines if possible.

How about 2 GE-90-160A engines, one under each wing?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engineers know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Now why are we doing this. Somebody better start behaving themselves cause shit is about to get real.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Why am I now thinking that my grand kids will be fighting the Martian revolt in B-52Xs.

This thing is frickin' immortal.  I love it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Fucking awesome! Progress. Now this is what technology is for. More bombs. Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually the USAF said a few years ago that the B52  will be in service till 2045 that is  90 years. The engine upgrade and other upgrades to the plane are insuring that the BUFF will be around for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#25]
First thought when I saw that picture was how big the model is for that test section.

"The total blockage of the model is one of the things we were concerned about," said JT Thompson, ATA project engineer.

You don't say, those wingtips look awfully close to the walls, hello wall effects.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, the B-52 is going to be the Air Force's version of the M2 Browning .50 cal. They're never going to get rid of that thing.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engineers know what they are doing.

Now I'm not saying this is true in this case, but I know some engineers that work on planes that have a motto: "Take it from us... take the bus."
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually the USAF said a few years ago that the B52  will be in service till 2045 that is  90 years. The engine upgrade and other upgrades to the plane are insuring that the BUFF will be around for a long time.
Wow, I am not sure that I will live long enough to see the B52 retire.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think thats cool. Hopefully that bird stays safe for its crews. She is old...

Reminds me of the Galactica; it's hard to comprehend an aircraft serving for 90 years.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Preparing to drop Slim Pickens  replicas  on Iran.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#32]
A few years ago, I was underneth the belly of a B52, they have 2 bomb bays, and they are HUGE.

Funny, they still some of the old cabling and wiring in place from the days of the Hound Dog missile from the early 1960s. I guess the USAF didn't want to remove those wires and cables and screw something up, so they just fly with the extra weight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I am sure they haven't thought of that yet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC there are 94 operational and one is with NASA

Out of 742 produced.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't really see the use...

But I have no nostalgia for military hardware.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn, the B-52 is going to be the Air Force's version of the M2 Browning .50 cal. They're never going to get rid of that thing.  

Like the Ma Duece it flat out works.. Nothing works as good or they would not have kept it..  Do you know how many planes were supposed to replace it over the decades?  Several. My old man used to tell me how the B58 hustler was supposed to do it in when he was in SAC...
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

A few years ago, I was underneth the belly of a B52, they have 2 bomb bays, and they are HUGE.

Funny, they still some of the old cabling and wiring in place from the days of the Hound Dog missile from the early 1960s. I guess the USAF didn't want to remove those wires and cables and screw something up, so they just fly with the extra weight.

Negative. We have only one bomb bay. The B-1, however, has 2 bays, I think.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC there are 94 operational and one is with NASA

Out of 742 produced.

Thank the START Treaty.. Phucking Daddy Bush.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We still have B-1 and B-2's and the new B-3 or what ever they are designing.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe the AF is doing this to justify having a manned bomber fleet.    I imagine UCAV and un-manned bombers would be in enough numbers to be viable in 10 years.  If unmanned bombers is viable, the AF would lose a lot of pilots since they aren't needed to drop iron over unchallenged airspace.   Especially with the military's standoff weapons..
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No engine upgrade.  They plan to keep using the existing one.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Negative. We have only one bomb bay. The B-1, however, has 2 bays, I think.

The Bone has three bays. Just don't start loading the bomb mods in the back first...
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#44]
This modification would up the weapons load to 116,200 pounds from 70,000.

I can't see how they could do that without re engining.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminds me of the Galactica; it's hard to comprehend an aircraft serving for 90 years.

That's fooking nuts!

Nearly a century service life for a vehicle.  That would be like having an airplane from 1925 still in service today
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUFF Crews will also be quick to inform you that when the last B-2 is flown to the graveyard at Davis-Monthan AFB, the Pilot and Mission Commander will hitch a ride back to Whiteman in a BUFF.  Great job to all at the 52 SPO!
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Background-Oriented Schlieren

Schlweeeet...

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#48]
"For AEDC's role in the B-52H store separation testing, the design team, led by Scott Wieland, has worked concurrently with projects representatives, who established requirements and shop personnel, all on a highly accelerated timeline."

How'd this guy get involved?

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

This modification would up the weapons load to 116,200 pounds from 70,000.

I can't see how they could do that without re engining.

Minimal fuel at take-off. Aerial refuel shortly after take-off.

Weight reductions elsewhere

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fooking nuts!

Nearly a century service life for a vehicle.  That would be like having an airplane from 1925 still in service today

Well how many aircraft from 1925 are capable of delivering direct nuclear weapons, stand off nuclear weapons and God knows how many types of PGM?? The BUFF is the do all machine and Curtis LeMay's lasting legacy ..  God Bless you General LeMay
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top