Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2011 9:45:56 AM EDT
Thought you folks might find this interesting.

FWIW, this pretty much sums up my views on illegal immigration.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Back in the day the continent was nearly empty due to the prior population being a stone-aged culture that got wiped out by smallpox.  At some point, however, you have to put limits on it otherwise you'll end up looking like India or China.  I don't want to live in a sea of humanity.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Back in the day the continent was nearly empty due to the prior population being a stone-aged culture that got wiped out by smallpox.  At some point, however, you have to put limits on it otherwise you'll end up looking like India or China.  I don't want to live in a sea of humanity.  

"lifeboat USA" is full

Go to youtube and search 'immigration gumballs'   it will put things in perspective that even the thickest ARFCOM skulls can understand.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
good stuff wish he was still around.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
That's Adam Smith on his tie.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Illegal immigrants = undocumented democrats.

Immigration from the third world is a bad thing.  

America will become more like Mexico and Haiti as time goes on.  There will be chaos.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Milton Friedman is a personal hero of mine, and as one might expect, I agree with every solitary word of that excerpt from one of his college tour speeches.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

America will become more like Mexico and Haiti as time goes on.  There will be chaos.
Yeah. Fuck those Irish, Italians, Poles, Germans, and...
oh wait.
I think the nice thing about this talk is how he outlines that immigration is incompatible with the concept of welfare programs, minimum wage, and other oppressive government regulations.

ETA: The only reason they are undocumented democrats is because democrats want to give them free stuff at the expense of the middle and upper class. That and Republicans tend to want to kick them all out of the country. That probably has something to do with it too.

To be honest, all I care about is the market for hot females. I like the increased competition in that market.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

oh wait.

I think the nice thing about this talk is how he outlines that immigration is incompatible with the concept of welfare programs, minimum wage, and other oppressive government regulations.

ETA: The only reason they are undocumented democrats is because democrats want to give them free stuff at the expense of the middle and upper class.

Immigration FROM THE THIRD WORLD.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh wait.

ETA: The only reason they are undocumented democrats is because democrats want to give them free stuff at the expense of the middle and upper class.

And what was Ireland, Southern and Eastern Europe like 100 to 150 years ago?

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Milton Friedman is a personal hero of mine, and as one might expect, I agree with every solitary word of that excerpt from one of his college tour speeches.

Agreed, although I didn't care for his egregious use of the "F bomb".  You'd think a man of his stature wouldn't talk like a pool hall hustler.  Granted, when he said "Fucking knob-gobbling Keynsian scum" I heartily concurred.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

oh wait.

Almost identical to the America of 100 to 150 years ago. What, you think ALL of America was railroads and robber barons?

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please, wise sage, tell us how many people is too many people for the USA to have.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh wait.

Almost identical to the America of 100 to 150 years ago. What, you think ALL of America was railroads and robber barons?

No. If the US was identical to those countries in both political freedom and economic prosperity, they would have stayed put. We were industrializing, we had better opportunities and they were poor surfs in many cases. Hell, the Irish were starving to death when they started coming to the US. That seems pretty "third world" to me.

All I'm saying is that those immigrants were viewed as inferior people from backwards parts of the world then. Just as Mexicans are viewed now. Same shit, different century.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please, wise sage, tell us how many people is too many people for the USA to have.

Right now we have one too many.  GTFO.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh wait.

No. If the US was identical to those countries in both political freedom and economic prosperity, they would have stayed put. We were industrializing, we had better opportunities and they were poor surfs in many cases. Hell, the Irish were starving to death when they started coming to the US. That seems pretty "third world" to me.

All I'm saying is that those immigrants were viewed as inferior people from backwards parts of the world then. Just as Mexicans are viewed now. Same shit, different century.  

The Great Famine in Ireland was composed of many different factors some Political, some economic, some agricultural,some mismanagement . It wasn't solely about potato blight, or the inability of Irish farmers to produce crops, it also revolved around the Crown through the Lord Lieutenant and way other crops were taxed or collected and shipped for export. Besides the potato crops which were the staple of the Irish the other crops did quite well and a great portion was exported.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

oh wait.

ETA: The only reason they are undocumented democrats is because democrats want to give them free stuff at the expense of the middle and upper class. That and Republicans tend to want to kick them all out of the country. That probably has something to do with it too.

To be honest, all I care about is the market for hot females. I like the increased competition in that market.

Dude......

The Irish spoke English, and the Poles, Germans, and Italians were happy to learn English (the 2nd generation was, anyway).  At no point in American history have we previously had an incursion of immigrants that were 1) primarily "undocumented", and 2) unwilling and/or unable to learn English.  Why would would you need to when there is always the "Marque dos para espanol" option?

As for the increased competition, unless you like muffintops, I'm underwhelmed by what I've seen.  They're not exactly Sofia Vergara lookalikes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now we have one too many.  GTFO.  

Texas has an average population density of about 93 people per square mile.

If you look at a map by county, however, the vast majority of the State has WAY less than that.  Meaning a shitload of Texans voluntarily choose to live in the high population density centers of the DFW area, San Antonio, Houston, Austin, and Corpus.

I'm wondering where you've gotten this notion from that we'll shortly be awash in a "sea of humanity" if we don't restrict immigration?  It sure doesn't bear much resemblance to the facts of our current population.  And it sure doesn't seem to be much of a concern to most Texans, judging by where they choose to live.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm wondering where you've gotten this notion from that we'll shortly be awash in a "sea of humanity" if we don't restrict immigration?  It sure doesn't bear much resemblance to the facts of our current population.

I'm wondering where you got this notion that I have this notion.  I never said we're dangerously close to some limit.  My point is that economists such as Friedman often ignore or dismiss non-economic variables.  From a pure economics standpoint, you want free trade of goods, services, and people, which means little to no immigration laws.  But people aren't just factors of production.  They bring social consequences with them.  If you doubled the population of the U.S. with a bunch of radical Islamists from the middle east, you'd change our culture, and not for the better.  You'd also undermine the legal rules which make a capitalist system possible, so eventually you'd kill our economy as well.  What you need is a rational immigration policy that works to our benefit, not an abolition of immigration laws.  The argument that open immigration worked for the first century of our existence and thus would work today as well is a gross oversimplification.    

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As do I....... but there is one qualifier he mentions that throws a wrench into that session.  In this day and age illegals do reap the benefits of the welfare state.

Open borders with pathways to citizenship and work visas.......we get the best and brightest, screen out the criminal element, and everybody contributes to the system.

Dr. Michio Kaku America Has A Secret Weapon
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm wondering where you've gotten this notion from that we'll shortly be awash in a "sea of humanity" if we don't restrict immigration?  It sure doesn't bear much resemblance to the facts of our current population.

I'm wondering where you got this notion that I have this notion.  I never said we're dangerously close to some limit.  My point is that economists such as Friedman often ignore or dismiss non-economic variables.  From a pure economics standpoint, you want free trade of goods, services, and people, which means little to no immigration laws.  But people aren't just factors of production.  They bring social consequences with them.  If you doubled the population of the U.S. with a bunch of radical Islamists from the middle east, you'd change our culture, and not for the better.  You'd also undermine the legal rules which make a capitalist system possible, so eventually you'd kill our economy as well.  What you need is a rational immigration policy that works to our benefit, not an abolition of immigration laws.  The argument that open immigration worked for the first century of our existence and thus would work today as well is a gross oversimplification.    

And yet, we find you making all the same arguments against it as the know-nothings of the 19th century.

I got the notion that you were against immigration because of imminent overpopulation problems because you clearly implied it when you said you didn't want to live in a sea of humanity.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#21]
You cannot compare immigration prior to the great society and after the great society.

Two entirely different communities.

Wanting a land of opportunity is one thing, wanting a land with a whole bunch of hand outs is something else.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You cannot compare immigration prior to the great society and after the great society.

Wanting a land of opportunity is one thing, wanting a land with a whole bunch of hand outs is something else.

That was the entire point of the video. What is your argument?

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Milton Friedman's point, concisely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, immigration is a simple topic but people have been raised to feel guilty for what they have.

The whole subject comes down to: Are you, as an American, better off if <person> comes into this country.

In some cases - yes.  In many others - no.

It's called self-interest, but we have it so fucking good here we have to find reasons to feel guilty about it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And yet, we find you making all the same arguments against it as the know-nothings of the 19th century.

I got the notion that you were against immigration because of imminent overpopulation problems because you clearly implied it when you said you didn't want to live in a sea of humanity.

Eventually we will with unrestricted immigration.  I just don't think it it immanent, but it is a concern.  As for historical comparisons, Rome was basically destroyed by uncontrolled immigration.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the entire point of the video. What is your argument?

Just saving time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#27]
This ought to be good. I'm only going to watch this one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, immigration is a simple topic but people have been raised to feel guilty for what they have.

The whole subject comes down to: Are you, as an American, better off if <person> comes into this country.

In some cases - yes.  In many others - no.

It's called self-interest, but we have it so fucking good here we have to find reasons to feel guilty about it.

That is currently being changed to .....racist.   In the current America to have ANY self interest is to be a racist.

To ask if the nation will be better off if<people> immigrate here is tantamount to being Hitler for petes sake.

Heaven forbid , that at some point in history we say, yep we are our own nation now and NOT a nation still wanting to be built from the huddled masses.  Especially since most of the huddled masses want free shit and arent afraid to "march" for the free shit they believe is a right to illegal immigrants.

To compare the trash that passes for immigrants these days to the immigrants of 150 years ago does a great disservice to the immigrants of 150 years ago.
Top Top