Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Good lord...how does someone expect to keep that many plants a secret? Wow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So we just lowered GDP by half a billion dollars?

"The system worked."

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do they know the plants would produce that much?

It works out to roughly $1200 valuation per plant. Let's put the average yield per plant around 1 pound. 1lb of marijuana has a street value around $2500-4500 depending on quality level of purchase.  

So yeah, that number isn't just pulled out of thin air, it is actually rather conservative.

You've been getting ripped off by your dealer.

No shit, when I was younger if you paid over a k per pound, you got raped.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It works out to roughly $1200 valuation per plant. Let's put the average yield per plant around 1 pound. 1lb of marijuana has a street value around $2500-4500 depending on quality and level of purchase.  

So yeah, that number isn't just pulled out of thin air, it is actually rather conservative.

ETA: Grammar

So now instead of buying some agriculturally minded potheads a big screen tv and a few nice cars it will now fund kidnappings, the killing of LEOs on both sides of the border, and more mercenary trigger pullers for the cartels. The same cartels Iran was going to pay to conduct an op in DC that would have resulted in US citizens dying.  

Sounds like we're going to need some more funding for law enforcement.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Which drove up the price, made the product so expensive people were willing to kill over it and led to hundreds if not thousands of murders. All the while not doing a damn thing to lower the consumption of alcohol.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am sure it was for "personal use"

-PC-

It sure was, personal use of tens of thousands of smokers across the nation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works out to roughly $1200 valuation per plant. Let's put the average yield per plant around 1 pound. 1lb of marijuana has a street value around $2500-4500 depending on quality level of purchase.  

Hardly. Please don't mistake a general understanding of a subject with partaking.

I was just kidding about you partaking. A value of $2500-4500 per pound of outdoor grown pot is not even close to reality though,closer to $700-800 per unless the whole amount was sold as dime bags. 1 pound per plant may be close to a reasonable yield but 16-20oz per would not be unlikely,I also doubt they had 362,000 female plants so you probably have to cut the usable amount by around half or more.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's millions of dollars lost that could have potentially been put into the economy through Rimco, Aarons, and Frito Lay.

There's a recession on here!  Stop stifling the economy!!!!

No shit, that money would've been used to stimulate the economy, like it or not.  It would've been made tax free, and those drug dealers would've bought a lot of shit with it....new cars, new toys, etc.  Even nefarious transactions stimulate the economy (especially domestic ones) because usually the second transaction downstream is a legitimate one....
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Well if we got serious with druggies instead of electing them to the presidency (Clinton, GWBush, Obama...), there wouldn't be a demand and thus no cartel like activities
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, first it apparently put quite a few people to work judging by the barracks, showers, and other ammenities at the site.  Who wants to lose a good paying job?

Second, there's that whole concern about not waking up the next morning.

The guy that dropped the dime was a local.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well if we got serious with druggies instead of electing them to the presidency (Clinton, GWBush, Obama...), there wouldn't be a demand and thus no cartel like activities

I'm not sure if you're serious...

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ass raping is more like it.....especially for shit weed like this stuff was.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, first it apparently put quite a few people to work judging by the barracks, showers, and other ammenities at the site.  Who wants to lose a good paying job?

Wonder what his reward was.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hate to be cliche' but .

Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Economics says otherwise. "Getting serious" just gets you more dead cops and spawns drug cartels. The WOD is what created the cartels in the first place. Now the DEA and ATF are arming them and terrorist states are planning on using them as special ops for hits inside the US.

ETA: Oh, and it fills your court system with drug cases of those dumb enough to get caught, causes prison overcrowding, and let real criminals walk.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He probably got promoted from LEO bitch to paid LEO bitch.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha. I always laugh at those beefed-up street values. With that size of an operation, they're not selling it by the pound and as with anything else when you buy in quantity, you save money. I'd also think that an outdoor operation that size, they're not growing "tier 1" stuff, thus the value would be even lower.

Chop those figures down by 75% and you're probably more in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#19]
^^^ Wasn't serious....

I was watching the history channel, back around the temperance movement people were so against alcohol, but had no problem putting cocaine on everything from lip balm to Coca Cola.

Odd how people think one drug is ok, and another is blasphemy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

a quick trip to visit the U.S. Marshals office to get a new name
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, I feel safer!  Just think what might have happened if this operation hadn't been busted... people might have smoked that pot!

Crisis averted!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel safer.

Do you know what life is like in San Fransisco County?

lol
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

^^^ Wasn't serious....

I was watching the history channel, back around the temperance movement people were so against alcohol, but had no problem putting cocaine on everything from lip balm to Coca Cola.

Odd how people think one drug is ok, and another is blasphemy.
Even if you were not serious, a lot of people are. Solutions with no research into the problem are doomed to fail.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you're serious...

Sadly, he probably is.

Most of the anti-drug folks treat the stance like a religion. No amount of rational explanation or reason will change their thinking that the only reason people in this country do drugs is because we aren't "doing enough" to stop them. The hundreds of billions of dollars spent and shredding of the Constitutional rights of the citizenry in a vain attempt to make it easier to jail users and dealers not withstanding.

ETA: I see the poster wasn't serious, my statement still stands about the others.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's a lot of pot.

"That's a lot of hooch"!

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#26]
This will surely be a decisive blow to the illicit marijuana trade

wait, i mean no one will notice
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This will surely be a decisive blow to the illicit marijuana trade

wait, i mean no one will notice

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It works out to roughly $1200 valuation per plant. Let's put the average yield per plant around 1 pound. 1lb of marijuana has a street value around $2500-4500 depending on quality and level of purchase.  

What are you smoking?

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a lot of plants.  I wonder how many acres that covered?

Rough estimates are the operation was spread out over ~5 miles.

I know the area where the fields were.  Very rural and unserved by paved roads.  Great whitetail hunting to be had.

Them deer won't be near as docile now.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

1 pound per plant may be close to a reasonable yield but 16-20oz per would not be unlikely

Huh?

Try one ounce per plant.

You may not be aware, but the entire stem, root ball, leaves, is all trash.

You don't count the whole motherfucker as "weed", despite the plant itself weighing 20oz.

It's only the buds, and once trimmed, you net about one ounce.

You can certainly do better under ideal conditions, such as hydroponic labs and such, but this is just a big fuckin' field.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 pound per plant may be close to a reasonable yield but 16-20oz per would not be unlikely

Huh?

Try one ounce per plant.

You don't count the whole motherfucker as "weed", despite the plant itself weighing 20oz.

You can certainly do better under ideal conditions, such as hydroponic labs and such, but this is just a big fuckin' field.

....and if they had hundreds of thousands of plants, they were probably crammed close together, where they won't produce as much anyway.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

Try one ounce per plant.

....and if they had hundreds of thousands of plants, they were probably crammed close together, where they won't produce as much anyway.

Right, root space is an issue, as is weather conditions, fertilization or lack thereof, rainfall and water supply...

Lots of variables. And if they didn't sex all those plants, one hell of a lot of seedy garbage as a result.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Doomed to repeat every single mistake of our past.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, because prohibition has worked SOOO well in each instance that they were used.

Alcohol: repealed
Opiates:  yeah, even steep penalites (felonies) and harsh law enforcement interdiction is working so well and costing sooo little money
Pot:  yeah, just read the OP
Others:  read "opiates" unless you are talking about LSD which has the harshest penalty of them all, ironically

Should I continue?  

People use the stuff even though the market is fraught with danger on both sides, highly expensive, and difficult to procure.  One offense and a person's life can be forever altered.  Yet people STILL partake.

How heavy handed do we need to be before we understand that prohibition damages more lives than does the existence and use of a substance.  Just because something is legal does not mean that people are going to all of a sudden flock to it and use if they wouldn't have previously.  Furthermore, what's the difference?  So what if you let people ruin their lives with a drug, or we ruin their lives for them because they used a drug.  The outcome and penalty are the same, but one carries a much higher cost than the other.

Hell, we can make money off of the tax if we were smart.  If we don't spend money fighting it, the black market would dry up, and since people would no longer be punished, they could more openly seek help without fear of retribution.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hardly. Please don't mistake a general understanding of a subject with partaking.

I was just kidding about you partaking. A value of $2500-4500 per pound of outdoor grown pot is not even close to reality though,closer to $700-800 per unless the whole amount was sold as dime bags. 1 pound per plant may be close to a reasonable yield but 16-20oz per would not be unlikely,I also doubt they had 362,000 female plants so you probably have to cut the usable amount by around half or more.

I'm sorry guys, I missed that part of the article (and I guess the whole part about helicopters)

I was applying premium pricing to premium bud. Not this generic outdoor stuff as it seems to be. Disregard everything I've said. I'm retarded.

You wouldn't grow male plants past budding, let alone get to the point of harvest. At least, that's my understanding.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you smoking?

dude......you know the stalk and stems get weighed in there too. i guess cops think the whole plant is used.  this is why the WOD will never work, cops don't know shit about their enemy(drugs)......they just get told "Weed is bad.......mmmkay"   they constantly over inflate what they sieze and come up with these totally unrealistic $$$ amounts......

ETA: and no, I'm not trying to bash any cops or anyone else here.....this topic is just too funny to not poke it with a sharp stick
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The red doesn't square up with the blue.  When you make a hypothetical supposition, you're pulling stuff out of thin air.  Your low figure is more than $150/oz.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
362,000  plants! Holy shit, that is enough weed to kill no one!

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

dude......you know the stalk and stems get weighed in there too. i guess cops think the whole plant is used.

Given ideal conditions, the interwebs tells me you can theoretically see 7oz per plant outdoors, and 3.5oz indoors.

Now the source didn't say whether that's wet or dry. Compare a fresh rose to a dried rose, big difference.

It also didn't state whether that accounts for seeds, and seeds account for a lot of weight. Good weed doesn't have seeds.

I think the best you could expect to see from an op of this scale would be 3oz per plant.

Just because I don't expect they're doing soil tests, setting up proper irrigation, providing maximum spacing between plants, etc.

I think 1oz each is more likely in a quickly rigged up clandestine operation that probably isn't properly tended to.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Is that all? Damn.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

a quick trip to visit the U.S. Marshals office to get a new name

To be honest, until this is all sorted out I can't really disclose anything pertaining to the informant.  I will say this, the person's friends have loose lips.

And yes, if he doesn't end up in a shallow grave somewhere I think lots of folks would be very surprised.  This wasn't your everyday hippy grow op obviously.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the area where the fields were.  Very rural and unserved by paved roads.  Great whitetail hunting to be had.

Killin' and murderin' to feed their pot addiction.  I can see it now.  Woods won't be safe for anybody.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Sure does seem like if it really was "worth" $434 mil that could be money well used in our economy. Oh wait.......
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Killin' and murderin' to feed their pot addiction.  I can see it now.  Woods won't be safe for anybody.

I saw a dead deer in a pot field once, the needle full of marijuana was still in his arm.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Sure does seem like if it really was "worth" $434 mil that could be money well used in our economy. Oh wait.......

Meh, it's apparently been a slow year...

The Kentucky eradication program’s results were reported
                   in an Associated Press wire report on November 25, 2006 by
                   the Lexington Herald-Leader:

"Police cut and burned 557,276 plants this year,
                     up nearly 50,000 from the 2005 total and the most since
                     1995. Arrests also were up: 475 in 2006 compared with 452
                     in 2005. And if each plant they destroyed would have produced
                     one pound of pot with an estimated worth of $2,000, that
                     would mean $1 billion was prevented from entering the illegal
                     drug market. . . .

"If police are finding that much marijuana, [Lt.
                     Ed] Shemelya, [head of the marijuana-eradication program
                     for the Kentucky State Police] said, it means there is a
                     lot more they aren't finding. Even with additional flight
                     time, he said, police can't cover all the primary pot-growing
                     area of southern and eastern Kentucky and probably don't
                     find more than half the crop.” [16]

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw a dead deer in a pot field once, the needle full of marijuana was still in his arm.

I saw one snorting meth once, then he smashed my car!!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't. Estimates of drug value are almost always vastly overstated.

yep i remember a few years ago a 100 lb bust was estimated at $1million
gotta get that fed money
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

dude......you know the stalk and stems get weighed in there too. i guess cops think the whole plant is used.

Given ideal conditions, the interwebs tells me you can theoretically see 7oz per plant outdoors, and 3.5oz indoors.

Now the source didn't say whether that's wet or dry. Compare a fresh rose to a dried rose, big difference.
It also didn't state whether that accounts for seeds, and seeds account for a lot of weight. Good weed doesn't have seeds.

I think the best you could expect to see from an op of this scale would be 3oz per plant.
Just because I don't expect they're doing soil tests, setting up proper irrigation, providing maximum spacing between plants, etc.

I think 1oz each is more likely in a quickly rigged up clandestine operation that probably isn't properly tended to.

Given truly ideal conditions and strain you can theoretically see well over a pound of usable dried bud from an outdoor plant,some strains can get 10 feet tall and 5 or more feet wide.  I doubt these plants were that big or in completely ideal conditions but they were very well tended to if the report is correct about the irrigation system and living quarters.

1 oz per plant is as inaccurately low as a police estimation is high unless they went through all the trouble of setting it up just to plant a bad strain in overcrowded conditions.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Must have been dirt ass weed for $1200 / plant.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top