Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2011 8:17:08 PM EDT
Detonated the torpedo that "sunk" the Red October, showed the sonar man his ID (I believe he was Deputy Director of the CIA and in a Admirals uniform) and told him- "you heard the torpedo hit the hull, and I was never here" ???

I always wondered about that scene. Not something you'd ever forget happening. You have no idea what's truly going down, all you know is what's posted above. So, what would it take to "jog" your memory? Obviously only a shit bag would go telling that story to impress the ladies, but what if, 10 years down the road there's some sort of congressional investigation? Courts Marshal? Threat of jail time for perjury?

What kind of punishment would you tell the truth to avoid it? Again, you don't know what's at stake. I don't know how long I'd spend in jail to protect a secret that I didn't even know.

And when would it actually be the right thing to do to tell the truth? When your CO asks you? When James Earl Jones says it's cool?  What if James Earl Jones is dead?   When someone that outranks him asks you? When the CIC asks you?

Just one of those stupid questions I've always wondered about.

ETA: above mentioned pie may be hot russian spy pie.  there's no way to be sure

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
don't worry about it, just move along
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, if that happened, things would get out of hand and you would be lucky to live through it.

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If you'd read the book, you'd be able to see that if this OP had been pulled off, the CNO, SecDef, DCI, National Security Adviser, & the President, ALL wouldve ok'd the OP.

But, Ill just fall back on "It's just a movie, dude "
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
just tell them that the average russkie doesn't take a dump without a plan
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
"I can't remember"
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything

B. Simpson

I have no past, present or future knowledge of any such event
(~)
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, if that happened, things would get out of hand and you would be lucky to live through it.

Patrick

let's just say it didn't.  let's just say in went down just like it did in the movie, the CIA got its super secret russian sub (that you don't know about) and the russians think they sank it.  

But 10 years later the Attorney General is knockin at your door with a subpoena.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Just tell them it was the goddamn cook.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patrick

let's just say it didn't. let's just say in went down just like it did in the movie, the CIA got its super secret russian sub (that you don't know about) and the russians think they sank it.

But 10 years later the Attorney General is knockin at your door with a subpoena.

That AG wouldn't be AG for long.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
"Sorry, I wasn't the one on watch when you're saying that happened."
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you'd read the book, you'd be able to see that if this OP had been pulled off, the CNO, SecDef, DCI, National Security Adviser, & the President, ALL wouldve ok'd the OP.

But, Ill just fall back on "It's just a movie, dude "

I have read the book, but 10 years down the road, none of those people are the same people, and perhaps not even from the same political party.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#12]
To the best of my recollection, I do not recall.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"you're lying.  we know you're lying. we have proof that you're lying.  Tell the truth right now or you're going to jail for perjury for a long, long time."

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My first assignment was at RAF Chicksands, UK, with the 6950th Electronic Security Group. Electronic Security Command. We worked closely with DOD JOCC (Joint Operations Center, Chicksands) a joint DOD/CIA set-up. That place was one of the biggest collections of super spooks and elint/sigint/and just all around ints one has ever seen. I can completely envision a scenario like this actually occurring. The stories I could tell, but I can't because I signed a non-disclosure agreement that states I can't say anything about what I saw until I am a very old man.    
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
It never happened.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the trick here is to not get yourself into a situation that involves a Congressional Inquiry , at least, that's what grandpa always said.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think the trick here is to not get yourself into a situation that involves a Congressional Inquiry , at least, that's what grandpa always said.

how about if James Earl Jones is the one on trial?  

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"you're lying.  we know you're lying. we have proof that you're lying.  Tell the truth right now or you're going to jail for perjury for a long, long time."  

"Well, sir, I'm sorry but I just can't remember. As you can imagine, we weren't getting much sleep and things were pretty hectic in the CIC so it's all sort of a blur..."

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have a watchbill that was scribbled down in pencil the night before by a pissed-off, overcaffeinated E-5, used for 2 days and then altered & thrown away because Seaman Fuckhead had to report to the Goat Locker for DRB because he was caught rubbing his balls on the FC1's pillow in berthing.

Might I suggest you ask the CO at that time, or maybe comb through the ship's log and find out who was standing TAO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Now that torpedo did not self destruct you heard it hit the hull.....And I was never here. Contact Dallas give them the go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know about admirals in the movies.  But, I have worked with enough retired cold war bubblehead officers to know that they do not talk out of school, ever.  The US "silent" service is also the US "secret" service.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have a watchbill that was scribbled down in pencil the night before by a pissed-off, overcaffeinated E-5, used for 2 days and then altered & thrown away because Seaman Fuckhead had to report to the Goat Locker for DRB because he was caught rubbing his balls on the FC1's pillow in berthing.

Might I suggest you ask the CO at that time, or maybe comb through the ship's log and find out who was standing TAO.

I almost got away with it...

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first assignment was at RAF Chicksands, UK, with the 6950th Electronic Security Group. Electronic Security Comamnd. We worked closely with DOD JOCC (Joint Operations Center, Chicksands) and joint DOD/CIA set-up. That place was one of the biggest collections of super spooks and elint/sigint/and just all around ints one has ever seen. I can completely envision a scenario like this actually occurring. The stories I could tell, but I can't because I signed a non-disclosure agreement that states I can't say anything about what I saw until I am a very old man.    

Wow. That is a pretty cool job to have.

You have no idea.

I was there from April 83 to April 85. Some of the best times of my life. Went TDY to RAF Greenham-Common and Welford. Lifelong friends I still keep in touch with. Our conversations usually go like this. "Remember that night on the FLR-9 when Barry..........". And they smile, nod, and reply, "Oh yeah, or that other time when Dave did......". We never finish the sentences because we were all there and we'd violate our oath of non-disclosure.

Good times.

Great people.

Dear friends.

Amazing period in history.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Doom!
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#26]
You obviously don't have a clue how conspiracies work.
You'd be buried in a shallow grave in the desert out by Turlingua.

"Still got the shovel"

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you had the advantage of foresight, sure, but working in some of the environments dealing with the various, umm... goings-on,
there have been times when shit happens, and only later are you sitting there thinking, "Oh shit! !"

And you can only talk abt it with the folks who were there. (And then, only in the proper places.) Damn you, SF-312!
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#28]
"I have no recollection of that, Senator."
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#29]

"Sir, I heard the torpedo strike the hull, and I was the only one there."
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know about admirals in the movies.  But, I have worked with enough retired cold war bubblehead officers to know that they do not talk out of school, ever.  The US "silent" service is also the US "secret" service.

;)
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Listen Senator, you want the inside scoop? You buy a membership and I'll tell you in Team. Maybe.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
"I was in Montreal at the time."
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#33]
First off, I was only a frocked E3 at the time, it was not my job to know what the fuck was going on.

My LPO was fucking off and the division Chief was in the Goat Locker.

I had been on watch or at work for over 20 hours that day, and I had only gotten 4 hours sleep the day before.

I missed breakfast because my relief was busy fucking off plying spades in supply, the other two guys in my watch section were on deck getting ready for the vert-rep.

The pile of shit gear wasn't working right thanks to the budget cuts that pushed back the SIMA overhaul period and the fact that the (then) current administration had cut our operating and maintenance budget to below minimums.

With all of that, my whore soon to be ex wife was screwing almost everyone at NavSta Norfolk, she had wrecked the car two days before that shit happened, and, to top it off I had duty on the last port call and I didn't get laid.

So no, I have no fucking clue what the fuck happened that day beyond that.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It never happened.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
So you lost another submarine? LOL
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My first assignment was at RAF Chicksands, UK, with the 6950th Electronic Security Group. Electronic Security Command. We worked closely with DOD JOCC (Joint Operations Center, Chicksands) a joint DOD/CIA set-up. That place was one of the biggest collections of super spooks and elint/sigint/and just all around ints one has ever seen. I can completely envision a scenario like this actually occurring. The stories I could tell, but I can't because I signed a non-disclosure agreement that states I can't say anything about what I saw until I am a very old man.    

Blind Man's Bluff.

All the stuff Tom Clancy was forbidden to write about. No shit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd recite the following:

"Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come. "
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#39]
And, if you can't trust James Earl Jones.....

He'll just bring in Samuel L Jackson.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, there is always selective memory.

Hence, that comes down to A and B. A:, if at that point in time such a thing happened, I would be reprogramming my memory so at least a possible interpretation of those events did occur, as I recall them. Now, I'm not a sonarman, I don't know what their hearing is like, if it is as good as seeing, but assuming that it isn't, then it might be possible to reinterpret what was heard into a hit against the submarine.

"But you saw him press the detonation button!" True,  but I didn't see the signal go to the torpedo, and my hearing at the time told me that a hit had been scored. I'd equally be scrambling my memory to who was in CIC at the time.

B: if the question came up years down the road? If I hadn't already scrambled my memory, I certainly be doing it then.
__________________________________________________________________________________
("Your swiss-cheesed brain probably doesn't remember, but... the first time around, Oswald killed Jackie, too."––Al to Sam, (w,stte), Quantum Leap "Lee Harvey Oswald")
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#41]
It never happened but if it did I wasn't there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I would just say "Could you repeat the question?" over and over until they get bored and go away.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:07:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
First off, I was only a frocked E3 at the time, it was not my job to know what the fuck was going on.

My LPO was fucking off and the division Chief was in the Goat Locker.

I had been on watch or at work for over 20 hours that day, and I had only gotten 4 hours sleep the day before.

I missed breakfast because my relief was busy fucking off plying spades in supply, the other two guys in my watch section were on deck getting ready for the vert-rep.

The pile of shit gear wasn't working right thanks to the budget cuts that pushed back the SIMA overhaul period and the fact that the (then) current administration had cut our operating and maintenance budget to below minimums.

With all of that, my whore soon to be ex wife was screwing almost everyone at NavSta Norfolk, she had wrecked the car two days before that shit happened, and, to top it off I had duty on the last port call and I didn't get laid.

So no, I have no fucking clue what the fuck happened that day beyond that.

For a guy who can't remember exactly what happened that day, you have a pretty good handle on what happened.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Just use the Hillary Clinton method.

NUMBER OF TIMES that Hillary Clinton, providing testimony to Congress, said that she didn't remember, didn't know, or something similar: 250

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I thought I heard ––- singing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#46]
If that happened

I heard the torpedo hit the hull. No he was not there.

The worst they could do was get you for lieing undr oath see Eric Holder, Bill Clinton, and Casey Anthony for what that sentence looks like.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not guilty. *You're* the one that's guilty. The lawmakers, the politicians, the Columbian drug lords, all you who lobby against making drugs legal. Just like you did with alcohol during the prohibition. You're the one who's guilty. Ain't no Uzi's made in Harlem. Not one of us in here owns a poppy field. This thing is bigger than JakeThePimp. This is big business. This is the American way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I thought I heard ––- singing.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#49]
You never talk.

When I was briefed in to all things black and code-word, I was informed by my security officer that the warnings given orally and in writing were effective for the rest of my natural life.  The sanctions were especially severe for blabbing.  That was over 25 years ago at the height of the Cold War.  I have never disclosed anything and I never intend to.  I don't relish finishing up my life in a federal lockup.

What REALLY pisses me off though is the large number of purposeful or "accidental" illegal disclosures by politicians and sadly some military officers, under the cloak of a media "source", usually to gain some sort of political leverage or to help with a personal/party agenda.  I have seen it happen.  I saw something TS code word in a made for TV movie once.  Someone had given the Hollywood folks details.  I reported it to my SSO and she, like me was stunned.  She sent it up the chain, but nothing anyone could to about it.  It was out.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:18:41 AM EDT
[#50]
"I am sorry sir but I signed a nondisclosure statement when I separated and you are not authorized to relieve me of that commitment to National Security".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top