Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2011 12:44:21 PM EDT
Wait until about the 0:50 mark for epic pants-filling excitement.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Why yes, I believe I would
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Talk about dodging a bullet. Wow!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen someone slide out on the track right off my front wheel but never had a bike flipping through the air in front of me.  

All I know is it is usually over before you can make a meaningful reaction.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Not only would I flinch, I'd probably also wet myself.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I almost shit myself just watching that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
HOLY CRAP! LITERALLY!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Flinching would be the least of my involuntary reactions
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Either I'd need a new pair of pants or I would not be able to shit for a weak due to pucker factor
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
fffffuuuuucccckkkkkeeeeeeeee
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
At my age, I'd flinch enough to pull the bike over to the infield and say "fuck this".
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Either I'd need a new pair of pants or I would not be able to shit for a weak due to pucker factor

Or it would take a week to get the seat out of my butt.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't watch at work but if this is the one where the bike wreck happens in front of the rider and then the rider has the bike flip over him narrowly dodging it....ya that's effin too close for comfort.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I pooped my pants. IBTL, poop thread.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Can't watch at work but if this is the one where the bike wreck happens in front of the rider and then the rider has the bike flip over him narrowly dodging it....ya that's effin too close for comfort.

That's the one. It's from a German race two weeks ago.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Jesse Ventura never had time to bleed - I have no time to poop.

Momentary lift up on the throttle, then back at it.    

P.S.  You've got to have major balls, borderline retarded - or maybe both - to bike race competitively!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Flinching would be the least of my involuntary reactions

+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#17]
probably happened too quick for such a reaction
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Jesse Ventura never had time to bleed - I have no time to poop.

Momentary lift up on the throttle, then back at it.    
P.S.  You've got to have major balls, borderline retarded - or maybe both - to bike race competitively!

I think the nature of these super-wide-angle GoPro (and similar) video cameras tends to make the scene look very different than it appears first-hand. I would think that the rider was able to see the tumbling motorcycle a lot sooner than we can on the video. Also, a miss by an inch is as good as a miss by a mile!

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Close calls like that make my dick hard.  I love near death experiences and yes I know something is wrong with me
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#20]
there is an epic animated GIF to be made out of that
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#21]
On first watch the bike was almost off screen before I realized what I was seeing.  It doesn't seem to have bothered that guy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At my age, I'd flinch enough to pull the bike over to the infield and say "fuck this".

This!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Didn't blink.  Usually that shit happens afterwards.
Usually accompanied by warm shooting pain up my back eta:and down my right leg from a pinched nerve thanks to a highside.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have seen someone slide out on the track right off my front wheel but never had a bike flipping through the air in front of me.  

This. and don't watch them go off... You can't help, head down and back in it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Not only would I flinch, I'd probably scream like a little girl, then pull my bike off into the grass, dismount and walk home.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Reminds me of the Indy 500 race where A. J. Foyt almost caught a whole broken off wheel hub in the face when cars wrecked in front of him.  The hub/brake assembly was headed for his face at around 200 MPH when it was deflected slightly by his right front tire.  It bounced up and over his helmet.  I about shit watching that.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Had that happen to me 5 years ago in AZ. We had a group together on a ride through the Tonto Nat. Forest. Me & a buddy going around a sweeping left turn on our 600 Ninjas,leaned over & hanging off. Another rider passes us on the outside on a FJ1100, his foot peg touches the ground hard. Some how he straightened up, didn't make the turn, & hits the shallow ditch on the side of the road. I see him flip forward twice, parts & dirt flying everywhere. Then his bike hits & twists & flips over the road right in front of me. I duck & swerve & get lucky. That was the first time I ever helped load a stretcher on a helicopter.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You may flinch whether you wanted to or not.

"Like I told my ex-wife, I said, 'Honey, I never drive any faster than I can see. And besides that, it's all in the reflexes.' "

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
No flame bro, but are you sure that wasn't a scene from a video game?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]
The camera's view makes it look sudden but the bike is visible in the distance long enough to avoid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This.  The most important thing to remember is when you see someone crashing in front of you on the track is, they will probably be out of your way by the time you get to them and don't stare you'll go where you're looking and also crash.  I might have pooped a little.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I ducked while watching it !   Followed by an audible "JESUS".......
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Something I always wondered, and this seems to be the place to ask;  Do people ever really shit their pants out of fear?   or is it just an expression.  It seems pretty universal, so are there a lot of IBS dudes out there who would actually do it?

I've had a couple of NDE's and never even noticed the urge.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The camera's view makes it look sudden but the bike is visible in the distance long enough to avoid.

still a eek moment but yeah you could see the crash for a few seconds before it flew by

great lesson on not having target fixation though

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#35]
That was quick, but I probably would have leaned right just from instinct.  Maybe, hopefully
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That was quick, but I probably would have leaned right just from instinct.  Maybe, hopefully

I played baseball long before I rode motorcycles. I would have tried to catch it with my glove hand, and blocked it with my body to keep it from rolling out into the outfield.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Something I always wondered, and this seems to be the place to ask;  Do people ever really shit their pants out of fear?   or is it just an expression.  It seems pretty universal, so are there a lot of IBS dudes out there who would actually do it?

I've had a couple of NDE's and never even noticed the urge.  

Being that this is in general discussion.....my judgement says refrain from participating.......but you seem genuine.....so I will contribute to help your quest for validation......I have seen a grown man piss his pants in fear......

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Been there done that.

Once you've been in a few races something happening in front of you no longer is a reason for any reaction except avoiding the crash and getting on down the track. Your pulse doesn't go up, you don't say oh shit to yourself, you just think about getting back on the gas and what ground you lost on the guy you're trying to pass.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Probably not, but I have been racing motocross for years and have dodged crashes much worse than that.

In motocross if you flinch you go to the hospital.  You have to learn to defeat your natural reactions to get to the next level in racing sports.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Probably not, but I have been racing motocross for years and have dodged crashes much worse than that.

In motocross if you flinch you go to the hospital.  You have to learn to defeat your natural reactions to get to the next level in racing sports.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the nature of these super-wide-angle GoPro (and similar) video cameras tends to make the scene look very different than it appears first-hand. I would think that the rider was able to see the tumbling motorcycle a lot sooner than we can on the video. Also, a miss by an inch is as good as a miss by a mile!  

Cant dodge that.  According to the Galloping Ghost thread the rider had maybe 0.00000000000000003 seconds to react to that and no human is that fast.

DISCLAIMER:  I have no relevant input to this situation.  I am not a trained investigator or participator or observer and have not had any formal or informal training, nor any experience.  I am not qualified for any sort of speculation or guess work and can offer no verifiable opinion.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cant dodge that.  According to the Galloping Ghost thread the rider had maybe 0.00000000000000003 seconds to react to that and no human is that fast.

DISCLAIMER:  I have no relevant input to this situation.  I am not a trained investigator or participator or observer and have not had any formal or informal training, nor any experience.  I am not qualified for any sort of speculation or guess work and can offer no verifiable opinion.

I absolutely agree that there are crashes where there is absolutely nothing you can do, but the question was "would you flinch".

Most racers have learned the hard way that flinching gets them hurt in a situation where a clear head could have gotten them out unscathed.  I've had crashes where I simply needed to shift my weight back and open the throttle to regain control, but I flinched and ended up in the hospital.  I've also had crashes where a cool head led me to step up on the handlebars and bail in order to miss a crash that sent several others to the ER.

Moral of the story, most serious racers get to the point where they don't flinch, they react.  However, like you pointed out, there are always situations where there is no time to react.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I absolutely agree that there are crashes where there is absolutely nothing you can do, but the question was "would you flinch".

Most racers have learned the hard way that flinching gets them hurt in a situation where a clear head could have gotten them out unscathed.  I've had crashes where I simply needed to shift my weight back and open the throttle to regain control, but I flinched and ended up in the hospital.  I've also had crashes where a cool head led me to step up on the handlebars and bail in order to miss a crash that sent several others to the ER.

Moral of the story, most serious racers get to the point where they don't flinch, they react.  However, like you pointed out, there are always situations where there is no time to react.

No. In the short interval from the begining of the mishap until the camera passed was too short.  From what I have learned from here humans do not process stimulis in fractions of seconds, or even whole seconds.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I almost shit myself just watching that.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#44]
No, I wouldn’t flinch. The reason is that it happened so fast that it was over by the time I realized that I should flinch. Things like that have given me a reputation for being incredibly cool in the face of danger. The truth is that I often don’t realize I’m in danger until it’s past and I don’t have to worry about it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#45]
He could have dodged a P-51 Mustang!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#46]
yup
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd have to pull over and have a drink or 3 after that.........
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He could have dodged a P-51 Mustang!

NOBODY could dodge a P-51 Mustang...

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Someone embed this for me:

Cuz that is where I would be headed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Am already in a tuck position behind the windscreen but uttered WHOA!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top