Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I see an interesting paradox here - on one hand a mechanic recommending a list of maintenance items is a rip-off but on the other hand its bad ju-ju to buy a car that has not had scheduled maintenance work done

Recommend maint: Drain and refill transmission at 30K for $60.00.
Upsell BS: Transmission flush $110.00

Recommended maint: Drain and refill radiator at 100K
Upsell BS: This fluid is a little brown, needs replaced.

Recommended maint: Oil change every 7,500 mile or 7-months.
Upsell BS: See you in 3-months or 3,000 miles. Like they used some new old stock oil from 1949 or something?
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been told that if a vehicle is really a danger, once they have found the problem, by law they can not let you take the vehicle home.  you would need to have it towed.

That sounds an awful lot like auto theft to me.

Fortunately i carry a CHP180 in the trunk and know how to fill it out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife is no longer allowed to have any car worked on without my prior approval because of ass clowns like this.  She is relegated to warranty repairs only if I am not available.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My wife is no longer allowed to have any car worked on without my prior approval because of ass clowns like this.  She is relegated to warranty repairs only if I am not available.

Same here.  Wife went in for the first oil change on her jeep. They sold her an oil change plus tire rotation with spin balancing. Um honey, rotating the tires every oil change is okay, wont hurt anything, but not really necessary. Sping balancing them every oil change is a rip off unless you have been crashing into curbs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Upsell BS: See you in 3-months or 3,000 miles. Like they used some new old stock oil from 1949 or something?

I do my oil every 3,000, but it's usually longer than seven months.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The wife took her 1999 Yukon down to Firestone to get the front brakes done. She found an online coupon for $25 and based on their posted prices, we were figuring less than $150 for new brake pads and rotors turned with tax.

$1190 + Tax, they found (17) items that they "recommend" along with that they told my wife (w/ our 1 year old daughter) that not having this work done could endanger her and our daughters lives. They could get started ASAP and put 2 guys on it and have it done before 6pm. She told them she needed to talk with me.......... they instantly said that she would get an additional 10% if they could get started right away before they got "too busy"

Needless to say..... I picked it up with her and drove it down to a Mechanic friend that is an hour away. He is a great guy and honest beyond belief.

New Pads, (L-F) Caliper, turn rotors, oil change, transmission service, radiator flush and fill, new exhaust gasket, rotate tires and new wiper blades. $400 +tax, done tomorrow. He says that most of the stuff that they "recommended" was a stretch, at best.

I feel like calling the Manager at Firestone to let him know what is happening at his store. Should I, or should I just leave it alone?

The manager would probably appreciate your feedback, they not only like negative feedback but they like to know when their people are doing what they are supposed to. Yeah, the coupons for dirt cheap basic stuff are just an excuse to get your car into the bay. I hate those places, and never had the stomach to work that way, which is why I don't work on cars for a living anymore, I didn't have what it takes.

ETA: My opinion doesn't apply to all shops, I know of a couple of dealerships and several independent shops that are very ethical and honest, and DO NOT sell services or repairs that aren't needed or warranted. Places like that really exist, and if you find one, you should use them, support them, and tell your friends about them. No not, under any circumstance base your decision on which shop to use solely on price, you will get screwed every time when you do.

+1

Same.....I've worked in Indie shops for pretty much my whole career, I have never knowingly ripped off a single person.

Lies.  Stupid, thieving mechanic!

I worked for a Firestone in high school.  We were basically drug out back in the parking lot and beaten if we didn't find at least 3-4 hours worth of upsells on every car that came in the door.  We had a weekly quota that had better be met, otherwise you're gonna sit down and have a "come to Jesus" talk with the manager.  Miss your quota like three weeks in a row, and there's a fair to good chance they'd ask you to leave.  

They prey on folks not knowing any better, scaring the crap out of them telling them some ridiculous sob story about how your vehicle is unsafe to drive, it'll kill your kids, and all this other stupid shit in the hopes that people will cave and fix it.

That and less than ethical "mechanics" can make quick and easy money off a lot of that stuff.  Stupid flat rate pay system.

Why do these threads draw me in like a fly to shit.

Ah well, off to screw poor grandma out of her SS check.  Fuck you no nothing bastards who want me to work on your car.  I will take you for every penny your worth because I am a liar and a cheat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is business as usual with mechanics.

Oh, and screw you too.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been told that if a vehicle is really a danger, once they have found the problem, by law they can not let you take the vehicle home.  you would need to have it towed.

I dont know about other places but a friend of mine worked at a Meineke.  One afternoon I was hanging out there and a lady came in that REALLY needed new rotors, the pads wore down and were eating them.  She refused the repairs so he pulled out a handy dandy form that basically said that the customer was aware of the condition of the vehicle and that they release all liability from said Meineke should they go out and kill themselves or someone else.

She signed it and rolled out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah, right.

what are they going to do?  lay on my hood as I try to drive away?

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I
have been told that if a vehicle is really a danger, once they have
found the problem, by law they can not let you take the vehicle home.  
you would need to have it towed.

That anyone believes that
is one of many reasons you always bring two car keys to the reapir shop.
One for the shop and one for your pocket. you give the "valet" key to
the shop. They might keep the valet key but they aint keeping the car.

Actually, you take it without paying the bill, and you just stole it.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wash is correct. It is a law in many states that if your piece of shit is deemed unsafe to drive, you don't drive it off the property.

I suspect the blame goes to rampant lawsuits from people who decline things like leaking brake fluid fixed. Customer leaves in unsafe vehicle, fails to

stop and hits a third party. Customer sues shop, because they didn't fix their shit free, third party sues shop, because the customer hurt them, and shops

have more money than people that don't fix brakes.

Shop's million dollar liability insurance is tapped, and lawyers come after mechanics and owners\investors personally.  

The fix is once you tow it off the shop's lot, you are 100% responsible for whatever you do with it. It doesn't matter who tows it or how, just so long as it

is not driven. Ergo, if I let you drive it away, I'm calling it "safe" to drive.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Well first of all you went to Firestone.  Few will believe me but I am familiar with their business model on an intimate level and you barely scratched the surface.  Even if they had simply done the work you requested, your daughter would be in more danger than if they had done a bunch of unnecessary work.

Attempt to hold my vehicle without any service lien on it and I will recover it by any means necessary.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That anyone believes that is one of many reasons you always bring two car keys to the reapir shop. One for the shop and one for your pocket. you give the "valet" key to the shop. They might keep the valet key but they aint keeping the car.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wash is correct. It is a law in many states that if your piece of shit is deemed unsafe to drive, you don't drive it off the property.

I suspect the blame goes to rampant lawsuits from people who decline things like leaking brake fluid fixed. Customer leaves in unsafe vehicle, fails to

stop and hits a third party. Customer sues shop, because they didn't fix their shit free, third party sues shop, because the customer hurt them, and shops

Shop's million dollar liability insurance is tapped, and lawyers come after mechanics and owners\investors personally.  

The fix is once you tow it off the shop's lot, you are 100% responsible for whatever you do with it. It doesn't matter who tows it or how, just so long as it

is not driven. Ergo, if I let you drive it away, I'm calling it "safe" to drive.

I would like to see the actual law.  If I recommend something I can not force you to do it.  You don't want to do it?  Fine, sign here declined service.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]

I would like to see the actual law.  If I recommend something I can not force you to do it.  You don't want to do it?  Fine, sign here declined service.  

Clipped:

New york has it, a guy I worked with said he did that pretty regularly.  I think in Georgia, a signed document is acceptable. Pennsylvania has the State

Troopers backing you up due to the safety inspection laws. I'll try to find it in print form, but I don't really know where to look.

ETA: can't find crap, but when I was doing safety inspections in PA, our trooper explained it to us that if anyone wanted to drive an unsafe car, contact him, and he would handle it, get it towed etc.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That anyone believes that is one of many reasons you always bring two car keys to the reapir shop. One for the shop and one for your pocket. you give the "valet" key to the shop. They might keep the valet key but they aint keeping the car.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The only time I've heard it come into play is if its safety problem like an inoperable seatbelt.  I've never seen it happen in person.  I have seen times it should have come into play like the time an old lady brought her car into a shop and the brake drums and shoes were so worn that a drum was scored into two pieces.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
On a cross country trip to a new duty station (in July) the A/C wasn't cooling as well as it should have.
So I took the pickup into a Firestone outlet in Phoenix for an A/C checkup as per their
coupon in the paper.  

While waiting I look out into the service area and see my truck up on a lift and see some tard starting to put a
wrench on the rear differential.

I grabbed the "Service Manager" and asked him "WTF is that idiot doing? There's no A/C components back there."
He replied it was their umpty-point free inspection.

I told him to get it down off the lift and quit fishing as I had the drive train inspected/ oil changed the week before and either do the A/C check/service
or let me leave before I call the cops.

He had his "mechanic" lower the truck down and check the A/C. The "mechanic" said it "needed" a 93 cent valve to stop the freon from leaking out.
The only problem with that was they wanted $200 to flush and recharge the system.

I told the  "Service Manager" to just charge up the system and leave it at that.

After paying the bill and retrieving my keys I let him know what a bullshit scam he had going on there and out of state tags didn't mean easy money.

And for some strange reason the A/C in that truck would freeze your ass out for the next 5 years I owned it with nothing else done to it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've got a good guy here. I went out recently, started the car, backed up about 20 feet and it died. Plenty of gas, good battery. Engine turned over but wouldn't catch. Had it towed. Guy kept it 4 days but it wouldn't misbehave for him. He said, "Well, I could just start trying things, but that would get expensive."

Picked it up and  it has been fine for the last week or so.

Good thing. I need a new roof.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only time I've heard it come into play is if its safety problem like an inoperable seatbelt.  I've never seen it happen in person.  I have seen times it should have come into play like the time an old lady brought her car into a shop and the brake drums and shoes were so worn that a drum was scored into two pieces.

Oh, absolutely. you don't do it on some thing that might be unsafe (brakes at 3mm and I wanna sell a brake job), you only pull the card when someone is going to get hurt, like your busted drum example.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I work at a Freightliner dealership and this IS true for us.  If we find something seriously wrong with steering, brakes or fifth wheel, we legally can't let the truck leave.  If we let this truck leave, with a bad tie rod end that's fixing to fall off, driver hooks to his/her 40,000lbs trailer, and ends up killing someone, we're in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Would you like a free 25 point safety inspection??

Totally free...!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a cross country trip to a new duty station (in July) the A/C wasn't cooling as well as it should have.
So I took the pickup into a Firestone outlet in Phoenix for an A/C checkup as per their
coupon in the paper.  

While waiting I look out into the service area and see my truck up on a lift and see some tard starting to put a

I grabbed the "Service Manager" and asked him "WTF is that idiot doing? There's no A/C components back there."

I told him to get it down off the lift and quit fishing as I had the drive train inspected/ oil changed the week before and either do the A/C check/service

+1

They and I don't know that you're Mr. Fix-it-Fuckin'-All and you're Johnny-on-the-Spot with your maintenance.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't; if they/I/we are legitimately checking something as part of a courtesy inspection, we're a bunch of fishing crooks that oughta be shot and hung, or hung and shot, or whatever, but if we don't check it and your shit blows up 3 miles down the road, we're incompetent, should have caught that, and we'd better fucking fix it for free or else.

Can't win for losing.  Stupid customers are making me want to get out of this business more than anything else.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

coupon in the paper.  

He had his "mechanic" lower the truck down and check the A/C. The "mechanic" said it "needed" a 93 cent valve to stop the freon from leaking out.

The only problem with that was they wanted $200 to flush and recharge the system.

I told the  "Service Manager" to just charge up the system and leave it at that.

After paying the bill and retrieving my keys I let him know what a bullshit scam he had going on there and out of state tags didn't mean easy money.

And for some strange reason the A/C in that truck would freeze your ass out for the next 5 years I owned it with nothing else done to it.

I would have sent you sweating on your way if you threaten me like that. He was nicer than I would have been.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work at a Freightliner dealership and this IS true for us.  If we find something seriously wrong with steering, brakes or fifth wheel, we legally can't let the truck leave.  If we let this truck leave, with a bad tie rod end that's fixing to fall off, driver hooks to his/her 40,000lbs trailer, and ends up killing someone, we're in trouble.

That's probably the DOT's doing more than anything.

I think in states with inspections, automotive folks can down the vehicle if it's unsafe to drive, but I dunno.  In my neck of the woods, if it can be made to run under its own power and has four wheels with tires that hold air, people will drive that bitch at high speeds darting in and out through traffic with no regard to anyone else.

We have more trucks come in that can't pass DOT than DO.  You wouldn't believe what some of these guys run.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's probably the DOT's doing more than anything.

I think in states with inspections, automotive folks can down the vehicle if it's unsafe to drive, but I dunno.  In my neck of the woods, if it can be made to run under its own power and has four wheels with tires that hold air, people will drive that bitch at high speeds darting in and out through traffic with no regard to anyone else.

We have more trucks come in that can't pass DOT than DO.  You wouldn't believe what some of these guys run.

I see it a lot.

Welcome to the forum and the weekly GD mechanic bashing thread.  Check out the cars and bikes forum, there's a few other heavy truck\equipment guys that post there.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have some girlfriends like that.

I once got quoted $700 for brakes at Firestone, I went to budget brakes and got out for $190, after 40,000 more miles I sold the truck.

Gateway Tire told me my ball joints were failing, my wheel would come off the truck at any moment . They wanted $700 per side to fix them. 60,000 miles later I sold the truck, damn wheel never would all off.

One time a friend called me, she was waiting for new pads and rotors on a 3000GT. I told her to tell them to stop. When I got there to look at the car on the lift I questioned the mechanic and he said the rears "really arent that bad, I misjuded"
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
coupon in the paper.  

I would have sent you sweating on your way if you threaten me like that. He was nicer than I would have been.

Yep. I would have sent that guy on his way with a big old fat "DECLINED" written across his work order. I'd want to tell him "Go fuck with those guys across the street, I don't have time for your shit."
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel like calling the Manager at Firestone to let him know what is happening at his store. Should I, or should I just leave it alone?

Oh he knows. Trust me, he knows.

So does the district manager. So does the corporate office.

Stick with your trusted mechanic. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't patronize the guy in the first place.
What, you didn't think he needed to eat this week? If the guy is honest and you trust him, then keep the guy in work.

Good, honest mechanics are hard to find... Keep yours busy, recommend him to your friends...
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not all of them are like that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see an interesting paradox here - on one hand a mechanic recommending a list of maintenance items is a rip-off but on the other hand its bad ju-ju to buy a car that has not had scheduled maintenance work done

With a drain and fill, you are only removing about a 1/3 of the tranny fluid.  Would you only remove a 1/3 of your engine oil during an oil change?

Plus if you do a true "Flush" they have a machine that runs cleaners through the complete transmision that removes varnish and gunk.  $110 vs $1500+ for a new tranny?

Again, the radiator only holds about 1/2 the coolant.  Just like I said above, how is just removing half of the liquid helpfull?  Plus it is not being CLEANED. Small expense now, or a big expense later when you have to replace the Waterpump, Radiator, Engine, blown head gaskets, Intake gaskets. But heck, replacing half of it should solve the problem of sludge buildup

Again, this depends on how/where you drive?  What kind of oil do you use? (Dino, Semi-Syn, Full Syn?)

I was a service advisor for over a year and hated every minute of it (and in the biz for over 10 years).  Just like politics, people do not want to hear the truth, and that the problems, for the most part, are their fault because lack of due vigilance.  And when you tell them the realitiy, it is YOUR fault.  

Oh, I also loved the people that would come in with horrible running issues with the CEL on and when I would come back with the issues and ask how long the light was on, and their reply was, "oh, a couple years now."  Oh, that explains why when this part failed a couple years ago and you did nothing, now you need a new engine/ tranny/ whatever and if you would have had that $100-$200 part replaced back then, you would not need to spend $1k's now.  Their response is usually, "A friend told me it was nothing and to ignore it!" That orange light is not suppose to be a pretty light on the dash, it is to tell you something is wrong and needs to be fixed immediately.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The wife took her 1999 Yukon down to Firestone to get the front brakes done. She found an online coupon for $25 and based on their posted prices, we were figuring less than $150 for new brake pads and rotors turned with tax.

$1190 + Tax, they found (17) items that they "recommend" along with that they told my wife (w/ our 1 year old daughter) that not having this work done could endanger her and our daughters lives. They could get started ASAP and put 2 guys on it and have it done before 6pm. She told them she needed to talk with me.......... they instantly said that she would get an additional 10% if they could get started right away before they got "too busy"

Needless to say..... I picked it up with her and drove it down to a Mechanic friend that is an hour away. He is a great guy and honest beyond belief.

New Pads, (L-F) Caliper, turn rotors, oil change, transmission service, radiator flush and fill, new exhaust gasket, rotate tires and new wiper blades. $400 +tax, done tomorrow. He says that most of the stuff that they "recommended" was a stretch, at best.

A local Mieneke dealership did the same thing to my SO. She needed a new master cylinder. They did all brakes on all 4 corners, for $1000+, and didn't fix the problem. He then quoted me $250 for the master cylinder.

I picked up a new one for $100 at an auto parts place, and encouraged him to install it on his own nickle.

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Laura went to go get an oil change and they told her that her front brakes were no good. She told them to go F themselves and reported the franchise to they corporate office along with the BBB.

The pads and rotors on her car had less then 50 miles on them
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How would they stop you?
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I went in to a Big O to get my tires changed. The guy came out saying my brake calipers were about to go (they weren't) tried scaring me and saying I could die if I didn't have brakes and wanted $1000 PER replacement. $4000 for a brake change total on my 1994 Isuzu Trooper that isn't worth 1/4 of that price. I looked at him like you would look at a scum bag trying to scam you and I walked out and will never go back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We're going to need a cite or link to that law.

Any state will do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#39]
The big chain tire and lube place I worked at, always wanted us to do that. The reason they had the 19.99 oil change was to get people in the door, then they wanted us to throw hundreds of dollars of flushes and maintenance packages at them, whether they needed it or not. I flat out refused to lie to the customer, and ended up leaving the place after a year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Firestone tried to rip off one of my wife's friends. She saw a little anti freeze on the ground under her car. She took it to a random Firestone. They told her she needed her water pump replaced. It was going to be over $1000. They offered to let her open a Firestone charge account when she said she couldn't afford it. She called my wife who told her to call me. I told her to take it to my mechanic. He determined the antifreeze was leaking because a hose clamp was loose. He tighten it up. Fuck Firestone.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a drain and fill, you are only removing about a 1/3 of the tranny fluid.  Would you only remove a 1/3 of your engine oil during an oil change?

Plus if you do a true "Flush" they have a machine that runs cleaners through the complete transmision that removes varnish and gunk.  $110 vs $1500+ for a new tranny?

Again, the radiator only holds about 1/2 the coolant.  Just like I said above, how is just removing half of the liquid helpfull?  Plus it is not being CLEANED. Small expense now, or a big expense later when you have to replace the Waterpump, Radiator, Engine, blown head gaskets, Intake gaskets. But heck, replacing half of it should solve the problem of sludge buildup

Again, this depends on how/where you drive?  What kind of oil do you use? (Dino, Semi-Syn, Full Syn?)

I was a service advisor for over a year and hated every minute of it (and in the biz for over 10 years).  Just like politics, people do not want to hear the truth, and that the problems, for the most part, are their fault because lack of due vigilance.  And when you tell them the realitiy, it is YOUR fault.  

Oh, I also loved the people that would come in with horrible running issues with the CEL on and when I would come back with the issues and ask how long the light was on, and their reply was, "oh, a couple years now."  Oh, that explains why when this part failed a couple years ago and you did nothing, now you need a new engine/ tranny/ whatever and if you would have had that $100-$200 part replaced back then, you would not need to spend $1k's now.  Their response is usually, "A friend told me it was nothing and to ignore it!" That orange light is not suppose to be a pretty light on the dash, it is to tell you something is wrong and needs to be fixed immediately.  

I've never talked to any real trans guy who recommends a tranny flush. Every one of them actually recommends against it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#42]
bad mouth them on craigslist.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh he knows. Trust me, he knows.

So does the district manager. So does the corporate office.

Stick with your trusted mechanic. I'm a bit disappointed you didn't patronize the guy in the first place.
What, you didn't think he needed to eat this week? If the guy is honest and you trust him, then keep the guy in work.

THIS

I hear all the time how we are all dirty thieves, but I hear it about firestone, midas, dealers, etc.
while my customers say, "thats it?"

Not all mechanics, techs are thieves, in fact I would say few are, now service writers, that MIGHT be a diferent story

At the end of the day I want to make a honest living, and people like the OP are dealing with make it
mighty hard to do.

speed

Good techs work at a dealership, or for themselves or for an independant TY.

Nobody gets recruited to turn wrenches at Firestone due to their steller qualifications and experience.

very true.

speed

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Load of bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Firestone is notorious for doing that kind of crap. Outright thieves, they are.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure someone (mechanic, service writer or manager) is trying to make "company policy" into LAW.  I'd like to see that particular LAW in writing please.

The catch all is, "driving an unsafe vehicle on the roadway."  The question in LAW revolves around defining, unsafe. Not to mention that something could be a problem vs. it is an immediate problem.

IMHO....I'll sign the liability waiver. Call the police if you like.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In the red.  Walmart here is like that.  We have towed cars and trucks from there with one wheel stud broken.  They don't care where it goes, but it isn't being "driven" out of their shop.  

The way lawsuits are these days I can see their side of it.

We had one woman think I was trying to rip her off on her pos 1990 Buick Century brake job estimate.  It came in, and left with ONE wheel brake actually working.  And she signed a disclaimer before she took it.

It really is amazing the kind of -should be in the scrapyard- shit that we are sharing the roads with.  

Also when ever I have a car on the lift for whatever, I always give the steering and suspension a quick check over and let the customer know if there are any issues.  If that makes me an upselling crook, so be it.  They don't have to have the work done, but at least if the lower balljoint shits the bed a week later I won't be hearing, "Jesus crist I just had it here last week why didn't you fix THAT!"

Link Posted: 9/10/2011 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hey now............My crew when I was in the trade, knew FULL well that the day I caught them screwing a customer was their last day working. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. In fact I let customers call different shops and have a mechanic come INTO mine to give that opinion. If you run a honest business, you got nothing to hide...... I fucking hate thieves and con-men.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Manager is in on it = waste of time.

Write a letter to corporate and let them know you will tell everyone you know about your experience.

Good on your wife for talking to you before doing/signing anything!
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Complain to the Bureau of Automotive Repair (If you live in California).  One call from them and the problem usually disappears.

ETA:  Also any business that has to be licensed by the DMV will do almost anything not to have a case opened by the DMV Investigator.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top