BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
New idea....
Flash paper inside a clear balloon filled with Hydrogen or Gas.  Flash paper will easily ignite.  hmmm.

Pretty sure it is all but impossible to blow up a balloon that has gasoline in it.  Gasoline weakens the rubber.

Hydrogen, acetylene, propane, MAPP, etc.  sure.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, true, many/most hydrocarbons will dissolve latex lickety split.

Something like a plastic bag may be needed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
New idea....
Flash paper inside a clear balloon filled with Hydrogen or Gas.  Flash paper will easily ignite.  hmmm.

Pretty sure it is all but impossible to blow up a balloon that has gasoline in it.  Gasoline weakens the rubber.

Hydrogen, acetylene, propane, MAPP, etc.  sure.

Good call.  I can't believe I let that slip my mind.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have found that it is very hard to get white paper to catch on fire.  I can easily burn through it, but getting it to catch isn't so easy.  Hmmm...Not sure what to try to record next.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have found that it is very hard to get white paper to catch on fire.  I can easily burn through it, but getting it to catch isn't so easy.  Hmmm...Not sure what to try to record next.

White paper is really reflective. (After all, it's white.) The easy way to make it more absorptive is to print solid black on it. I use an inkjet printer for this at work and fully dry the ink, but I'm betting a laser printer would do an even better job.

Barring that you could go buy dark grey carbon paper from an art store or maybe an office supply.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

White paper is really reflective. (After all, it's white.) The easy way to make it more absorptive is to print solid black on it. I use an inkjet printer for this at work and fully dry the ink, but I'm betting a laser printer would do an even better job.

Barring that you could go buy dark grey carbon paper from an art store or maybe an office supply.

I feel as if that's cheating, but I suppose your right.

Just tried an experiment....Burning a CD.  Not a good idea.  I'm not sure what made me think of doing it.  Either way, I had my eye protection on and I didn't get any direct reflections or at least none that I could see until I watched the video.  I will upload it and show it to all of you.  Please...no one else do this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I feel as if that's cheating, but I suppose your right.

Just tried an experiment....Burning a CD.  Not a good idea.  I'm not sure what made me think of doing it.  Either way, I had my eye protection on and I didn't get any direct reflections or at least none that I could see until I watched the video.  I will upload it and show it to all of you.  Please...no one else do this.

This is instructive, though. You have experimentally determined that to make your laser into a more effective weapon against albino ninjas you need to carry a can of fast-drying black paint to throw on them. C'mon, man. That's progress.

CDs and DVDs can also be used as expedient diffraction gratings. If you really had time to kill you could incorporate a ghetto grating into a DIY spectrometer to determine your laser's linewidth.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Last Video of the Night

I will stop posting these if you guys wish.  Any requests are welcome.  I hope to get some decent photos of the beam tonight.  I will post them in an edit on this post....Unless there are several replies after this one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last Video of the Night

I will stop posting these if you guys wish.  Any requests are welcome.  I hope to get some decent photos of the beam tonight.  I will post them in an edit on this post....Unless there are several replies after this one.

Oh hell no. These are fantastic, and the music aint half bad either
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Last Video of the Night

No way, man. Your intro showed my post and avatar. I'm a celebrity! Keep it up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
if you're burning gunpowder with a high-powered laser at your desk, you must be single

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
if you're burning gunpowder with a high-powered laser at your desk, you must be single

As a matter of fact.....I am...for now.  Also, what Momma don't know....  Just kidding, I don't live at home with the parents.  LOL

Ain't nothin like the smell of Gunpowder at you desk in the evening.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
How far away can you be from the gunpowder and still obtain ignition?

Can you focus the beam tight enough to get farther away?

It would be cool if you could light it from several feet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How far away can you be from the gunpowder and still obtain ignition?

Can you focus the beam tight enough to get farther away?

It would be cool if you could light it from several feet.

I like your thinking.  I'll have to try it again at 10 feet and so on.  

Edit:  I have ignition at 10-13 feet.  Focus was set for long distance.  Took very steady hands.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I want one! I have a 150 mW green Dragon Laser and love it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I couldn't go any further away from the powder.  My hands are to shaky.  

Here are a couple of beam pictures taken with my phone.  Quality of the pictures seem to be going down....Hmmm

FYI: It's still very bright out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Those empty 9mm cases....

Shine it on the primer!

(Do it at an oblique angle so it's propelled away from you, or with the case pointing straight up, so it does the "firecracker under a tin-can" type of thing. Or do you have some heavy locking pliers or a vise?)

Quoted:

White or other high albedo paper... there's a trick to that. When you burn through and make a hole, you want to trace the dot in a slowly widening spiral. You'll be chasing the hot smoldering edge of the hole and keeping it hot and it will eventually catch fire.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I admit that I was tempted to try to set the primer off, but there are 2 things standing in my way.
1.) Volume of the primer going off.
2.) the fact that I don't think that it will work. The casing will work as a heatsink for the primer. I doubt that I can get it hot enough. Plus, aren't primers designed to only fire with an impact and not heat.

Quoted:
Those empty 9mm cases....

Shine it on the primer!

(Do it at an oblique angle so it's propelled away from you, or with the case pointing straight up, so it does the "firecracker under a tin-can" type of thing. Or do you have some heavy locking pliers or a vise?)

Quoted:

White or other high albedo paper... there's a trick to that. When you burn through and make a hole, you want to trace the dot in a slowly widening spiral. You'll be chasing the hot smoldering edge of the hole and keeping it hot and it will eventually catch fire.

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Err... Lead Styphnate?

Auto-ignition temperature 330 deg C./626 deg F...

Yeah... on a high albedo metallic surface with a heat path to the rest of the brass, that might take awhile.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Err... Lead Styphnate?

Auto-ignition temperature 330 deg C./626 deg F...

Yeah... on a high albedo metallic surface with a heat path to the rest of the brass, that might take awhile.

I wouldn't mind trying it out...but I/you have to keep in mind that I only have a duty cycle of around 1-2min on...since I have the copper heatsink and at least one minute off.  The odds of this actually working are very slim....IMO.

Do you have any other cool ideas that I can try out?
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Got any glow in the dark materials? Blue is not ideal, like 405nm violet lasers, but it's pretty short and should still charge them somewhat.

Orange things, especially fluorescent/safety orange pigments work off of short wavelength light and should glow pretty bright if hit with a slightly de-focused beam.

Got any motors and small mirrors? You can make the "light cone" effect with a little smoke or fog in the room.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got any glow in the dark materials? Blue is not ideal, like 405nm violet lasers, but it's pretty short and should still charge them somewhat.

It gives it a full charge in less than a second.  I've already tried this with a GITD tailcap.  Pretty impressive when you shine the laser on it.  As you said, the 405nm (blu-ray) works better, but at this power level, I honestly don't notice a difference.

Do you think that it would be possible to ignite rubbing alcohol? or something else that's similar?
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I've heard people say black ink in a transparent glass bottle 'screams and hisses' in a really weird way, possibly because it's so absorptive, and creates steam and microcavitation.

One really cool thing I've seen is people take a clear 2L soda/pop bottle, and make hazy water with a few drops of GITD paint, cap it, shake it up so the water is moving, or put it on a turntable of some kind and then it makes these ghostly holograms" that swirl away in the water.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/gitd-liquid-smoke-bottle-61331.html

As you can see, I was pretty impressed with the effect when he posted it over there.

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've heard people say black ink in a transparent glass bottle 'screams and hisses' in a really weird way, possibly because it's so absorptive, and creates steam and microcavitation.

One really cool thing I've seen is people take a clear 2L soda/pop bottle, and make hazy water with a few drops of GITD paint, cap it, shake it up so the water is moving, or put it on a turntable of some kind and then it makes these ghostly holograms" that swirl away in the water.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/gitd-liquid-smoke-bottle-61331.html

As you can see, I was pretty impressed with the effect when he posted it over there.

That's pretty cool.  I don't think that a 1W laser would be good to use for this (safety), but still, I might try it.  You got my mind thinking on this one...I'll have to sleep on it.

I think that I have seen a video once where someone made some black coffee and where the laser hit, it boiled....Maybe I don't remember it right.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Fill a black garbage bag full of propane and tie it closed. Laser away. A moderately loud sound with a big fireball will ensue.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#28]
So just out of curiosity....how many people bought one of these besides me?  

I know that there is at least one.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Not me. But I've got a Kryton Groove host coming in the next week or so for a 445nm build. I've got my driver board adjusted for 1000ma give or take, so hopefully it's a good diode and will deliver >1000mW.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not me. But I've got a Kryton Groove host coming in the next week or so for a 445nm build. I've got my driver board adjusted for 1000ma give or take, so hopefully it's a good diode and will deliver >1000mW.

I would actually love to get my laser's output measured.  According to SL it's driver is set at 1.2-1.25A.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I am not advocating any illegal use but could a law enforcement or military unit use one of these kits as delivered to build a laser that would be an effective weapon to neutralize a violent mob or large gang of attackers? Essentially a photon SMG? How much (time) exposure would blind an individual to a point they would be incapacitated.

I am not talking about a hippie protest, I mean roving mobs looking for blood.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am not advocating any illegal use but could a law enforcement or military unit use one of these kits as delivered to build a laser that would be an effective weapon to neutralize a violent mob or large gang of attackers? Essentially a photon SMG? How much (time) exposure would blind an individual to a point they would be incapacitated.

I don't think you could effectively hold on a moving targets eye.

Also, if you could, it is a permanent damage scenario.  I would equate it with lethal force on the continuum.  In other words, if you felt that it was appropriate to permanently blind someone to stop an attack, you should probably just shoot them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Already been done. There are several different laser dazzlers out there for LEO/.MIL use. They're way above eye-safe power, however they use a very fat beam, and have a wide spread so despite their high power, tend to put a relatively safe 10-20mW into the actual pupil of the person they're aiming at. They tend to strobe at the frequencies most likely to temporarily blind the target person, and create as much disorientation/nausea as possible.  Some systems are sold with LCD glasses that flicker at the same rate as the laser so the police or troops using them aren't affected.

However, as stated, they're pretty useless in a riot situation, since even when widened into spotlight mode, they generally only paint one or two faces at a time. I guess you could use one to do something like blind the one guy who's got the Molotov cocktail I guess.

Here's an example.

There are also non-laser three color RGB LED systems that can flash at a pretty good "headache and puke" frequency.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just saw another video of yours titled East Moline fireworks.

I live in Davenport.  Moved here from Moline a few years ago.

I live in Moline.

You'll have to point the beam towards Iowa and ...  nevermind, I have trees to the south that obscure the view.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#36]
You're right. That was cool.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#38]
do you have those alligator clips mounted on some kind of tripod?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
do you have those alligator clips mounted on some kind of tripod?

I have alligator clips.  It's basically my soldering setup, but I'm using it for burning things.  LOL
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm debating on if I should let this thread die....
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#41]
the answer is no
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Nope. I've just been distracted with all the threads on the black riots in at the WI State Fair, this all went down within a mile of my house...
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not sure how you could do this without putting yourself at risk, but I'm curious what your video camera would see if it was looking through your safety glasses, while being pointed at the laser dot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#44]
A dimmer version of the dot is all you'll see. Possibly still quite blinding, just not dangerously so.

The problem is that since the lens is highly absorptive of the wavelength, it will get hot, and melt a dimple, and perhaps even a hole in the lens.

Sometimes, when staring at the spot on the wall through laser glasses for the wavelength in question, you see none of the color, except for a "white" spot that's a brighter version of the color of the lens. (red or orange in the case of lenses for 445nm) What you're seeing there is side fluorescence in other wavelengths the glasses do let through being re-emitted by the surface under the laser beam.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I see no beams or reflections. I do see a white dot that really isn't that bright unless I'm burning something. When the laser isn't focused to a dot, I don't see any light From the laser at all. The glasses that I am using are designed to protect my eyes for up to 10W of power.

The only time I felt like I did anything dangerous was when I burned the CD.

If you wish, I will record a video of what I see
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nope. I've just been distracted with all the threads on the black riots in at the WI State Fair, this all went down within a mile of my house...

Holly crap
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how you could do this without putting yourself at risk, but I'm curious what your video camera would see if it was looking through your safety glasses, while being pointed at the laser dot.

ETA: My mistake. I see what you mean. You mean pointed at a dot reflected off of a surface. I thought you meant pointing the laser into the camera directly. RIF.

A better way of looking at the beam is to use something only partly reflective–– like a nice flat microscope slide–– to reflect a small fraction of the beam. For a beam this powerful you might need to setup and align several slides to get a sufficiently weak reflection for safe recording directly onto a camera.

Alternatively, you could use cheap ND (neutral density) filters, but 1W is a lot of CW power to pour into an ND filter. Cheap ones can be bought from Surplus Shed. I use some of these in the lab: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m2108.html

I know we've slipped-up in the lab and recorded 35-50mW from a HeNe or DPSS directly onto a CMOS camera (with a real, physical shutter) without damage. I suspect that 1W would be more than enough to cause damage.

Also, it's safer for your camera if you are using one with a real mechanical shutter vs. something like a cell phone camera where shuttering is accomplished electronically and the detector is always exposed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#49]
So are u saying that I am likely still causing eye damage?
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So are u saying that I am likely still causing eye damage?

Who, me? I was just trying to answer Reaper's question. I thought he was asking about recording a beam profile directly on a camera, but I had misread his post.

Regarding eye damage, you should definitely not look at the beam spot without your glasses on. Also, be aware that the white spot you get when burning things is panchromatic, with probably significant radiated power running from the UV all the way up into the IR. Try to keep some distance between you and that white spot, and definitely don't look at it without glasses.

Do your eyes feel irritated, like there is sand in them, after shooting the videos you've been posting? If they do, I'd take that as good evidence that more eye pro is needed.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top