Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2011 5:27:18 PM EDT
Anybody had a chance to try this stuff?

I recently saw a documentary about Popcorn Sutton, and started doing some research on him, and the history of moonshine. Very interesting stuff. In my research, I found out that Popcorn gave his recipe to a friend, who has now gone into business with Hank Williams Jr. to start making the country's first legal moonshine. As far as I can tell, they are only selling it in bars in the Nashville area. I'm gonna be going out that way next month. Does anyone know of any bars that are serving it? I would love to try some for myself, see what it's all about.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Rippy's Smokin' Bar & Grill on Broadway maybe? I think I saw it in there [Wild Turkey weekend].

Best way to experience moonshine is to go all day without eating anything. Pour you about 2 ounces of White and dump it straight down yer gullet. Then make sure you are sitting down and do 2 more quickly before you realize yer tastebuds are burned off [not too fast or you'll kill yourself]. Then hold on because you are about to have your ass kicked. If you're at Printers Alley make sure you have a somewhat sober friend with you or chances are you'll wake up a day later in the Hill Detention Center on 2nd Avenue face down on a concrete floor wondering what the hell was that where is my brain.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Rippy's Smokin' Bar & Grill on Broadway maybe? I think I saw it in there [Wild Turkey weekend].

Best way to experience moonshine is to go all day without eating anything. Pour you about 2 ounces of 180 proof White and dump it straight down yer gullet. Then make sure you are sitting down and do 2 more quickly before you realize yer tastebuds are burned off. Then hold on because you are about to have your ass kicked. If you're at Printers Alley make sure you have a somewhat sober friend with you or chances are you'll wake up a day later in the Hill Detention Center on 2nd Avenue face down on a concrete floor wondering what the hell was that where is my brain.

Thanks.

While we're on the subject, anything else I need to try while I'm out there?
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Whiskey Bent Saloon. Swimming with predatory women after one thing (yours). Heck, they might just rip yer clothes off before you get set down. If you cant pick up a chick in there, there is something bad wrong w/you.

Next day, if you can still walk, go down to Cool Springs Harley Davidson and rent a Electra Glide and ride it down through the rolling green TN hills to Lynchburg and tour the Jack Daniels Distillery. Cut back through Murfreesboro and tour the Stones River Civil War battlefield where there were 25,000 casualties in that one single battle.

Heck, there's lots to do around here... depends on what you like to do.

[PS I edited that first post - dont do shots that fast with 180 proof moonshine - you will kill yourself if yer not used to it - I'm not joking - even though I doubt you'll find that in a bar LOL.]
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not the first legal moonshine, but I think they have the biggest still of the shine makers. There is a place in Culpeper, Va thats makes some called Virginia Lightning that is very good(100 proof).
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
He was from NC so Popcorn Sutton's TN Whiskey is a little lame...Well,maybe if it really was distilled in janky stills on mountainsides.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll need to go to Tootsie's for a drink and live music.  Pretty hot bartenders as well.

BBKings usually has a decent house band.  Keep your eyes peeled as you may walk into a country music celebrity (met Winona Judd there one night).
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check those places out. And if I find any 180-proof, I'll be sure to take it easy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Popcorn sure wouldn't be able to say if he really gave it to him or not.

There's a very slim chance it might be a bunch of malarky just to sell some hooch.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
yellowhammer is right, pure white lightning will kick your @ss. first time i tried it i was a 17 year old punk in the 70's. got it from an old pop-eyed alabama hillbilly bootlegger in a quart mason jar. i swallowed 2 big slugs in a row. there is a delayed reaction of about 10 minutes with moonshine where you are mainly concerned with the loss of the inner lining of your mouth and esophagus - then as soon as you get your breath - BOOM - it hits you like a mule kick to the back of the head. the un-initiated will usually swig too much and pass right out - followed by a puking spree. I never will drink un-cut moonshine again - you can definitley kill yourself.

ps: down here in the northeast alabama appalachian mts in the depression era there was very little work -  most people were of scotch/irish decent and traditionally knew how to make it for self consumption, and went into the business to feed their families. my grandmother said after dark you would see tractor/trailer rigs with chicago plates going in and out of every holler in the area loaded w/hooch from the local stills. imagine not even worrying about the truck lic plates that far from chicago - there was a clear route back to illinois greased with al capones protection. my great-grandfather spent a year and a day in kilby prison in montgomery for making it - a serious proposition in the 20's/30's. my wife's grandfather also paid his dues at the tn st pen in nashv. once while looking over a booth in a flea market, the proprietor, an old man who looked 100 yrs old to me, recognized my dad, and pulled me aside and said " son, your great grandpappy made the best whiskey i ever drank". LOL what an era.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My dad was a little kid in eastern TN during prohibition.  He said at night you could see the mountain sides dotted with campfires from moonshine stills and the whole country side smelled like a bakery from the mash cooking off.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#12]
DEFINATLY not the first legal moonshine for sale. Not even close
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I stand corrected. I misread that information. They were implying this is the first legal moonshine made from Popcorn Sutton's recipe, not the first legal moonshine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

http://www.sixthseal.com/archive/November2005/shine_on_georgia_moon.jpg

Made right here North Central Kentucky.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

At least it's made with corn.  With the price per bushel right at $6.34, lost of these "moonshine" distilleries are using sugar and passing it off as moonshine.

I've got 5 quarts of real moonshine left.  One of the old men who owned the land passed away and the 80+ year old still had to be moved.  As far as I know, they have not resumed producion.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#17]
When I was a ute we used to drive across the line to MS and patronize Johnny's Smokehouse.

Cold beer and smoked mullet.

One night one of the group ran into an acquaintance who had some shine. Topped off a belly full of Jax with Who Hit John.

On the way home he decorated the driver's (parent's) car- thank God not mine!

Since it isn't aged in charred barrels, I'd guess it has all of the kick and none of the taste of good bourbon.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#18]
P C Sutton....what a name, huh?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

At least it's made with corn.  With the price per bushel right at $6.34, lost of these "moonshine" distilleries are using sugar and passing it off as moonshine.

I've got 5 quarts of real moonshine left.  One of the old men who owned the land passed away and the 80+ year old still had to be moved.  As far as I know, they have not resumed producion.

I am down to 1 quart, minus two sips.

My uncle couldn't afford the corn... so I'm going to donate a portion of the corn that I grow for just this endeavor.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

I am down to 1 quart, minus two sips.  

My uncle couldn't afford the corn... so I'm going to donate a portion of the corn that I grow for just this endeavor.

I quite making apple and peach pie for friends.  I've got 3 quarts of pie in the fridge: 1 goes to a buddy I promised it to, 1 goes to my brother, the other goes to me.
The 5 quarts of clear will be stashed in the closet.  Brought out for camping and celebration only (along with my stash of 45th and 80th Padrons).
Good on you for giving your uncle some corn.  The sugar-made stuff isn't near as smooth.

Quoted:

Since it isn't aged in charred barrels, I'd guess it has all of the kick and none of the taste of good bourbon.

The stuff I have is right around 165 proof.  It doesn't "burn" you one the way down, but it does warm your belly.  Definitely a different flavor than bourbon.  You don't "drink", you "sip"it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd love one of these babies.........

I used to do homebrew and wine, but I don't think the wife would put up with a full blown distillery.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

At least it's made with corn...most of these "moonshine" distilleries are using sugar and passing it off as moonshine.

rob78, you are right on  - true ole-timey moonshine was made only w/corn - hence the old term "pure corn likker". My dad says to get the best you even leave out the yeast and use only malted corn the natural way - sure you'll have some waste, but the old timers, after running their sugared/yeasted/beading-oil runs for sale to the yankees, made their own stash from pure malted corn w/no additives.

by the way, an interesting read is the chapter "moonshining as a fine art" in the 1st Foxfire book: link . All the old-time moonshiners, my dad and grandmother (passed away, sniff)) included, that i have talked with say whoever complied that knew what they were talking about - every detail on still construction and mash preparation in that book is 100% authentic and obviously came word-of-mouth from the real-deal appalachian moonshiners of that period.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]
It ain't Shine if it's taxed.

Ya never know what you'll earn a nickname for-
"In the 1960s or 70s, Sutton was given the nickname of "Popcorn" Sutton after damaging a bar's faulty popcorn vending machine with a pool cue."
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

When I was a ute we used to drive across the line to MS and patronize Johnny's Smokehouse.

One night one of the group ran into an acquaintance who had some shine. Topped off a belly full of Jax with Who Hit John.

Mix 1:1 shine/water and you have vodka.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
rob78, you are right on  - true ole-timey moonshine was made only w/corn - hence the old term "pure corn likker". My dad says to get the best you even leave out the yeast and use only malted corn the natural way - sure you'll have some waste, but the old timers, after running their sugared/yeasted/beading-oil runs for sale to the yankees, made their own stash from pure malted corn w/no additives.

That's interesting stuff.  Did they say how that worked ... I thought malting the grain started the conversion of the endosperm to sugar, and the yeast converted the sugar to alcohol.  Without the yeast, how does the sugar convert to alcohol?  Maybe they rely on the same process that (essentially) ferments fruit that falls off the tree?
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DSCF1055.JPG
I used to do homebrew and wine, but I don't think the wife would put up with a full blown distillery.

The BATFE would probably frown upon it too!

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have enjoyed Rippy's baby back ribs on several occasions.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#28]
We got a place right down the road that makes the "Apple Pie" shine. I live about 10 miles from the distillery and plan on taking a tour this Saturday.

mbrdistillery
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's interesting stuff.  Did they say how that worked ... I thought malting the grain started the conversion of the endosperm to sugar, and the yeast converted the sugar to alcohol.  Without the yeast, how does the sugar convert to alcohol?  Maybe they rely on the same process that (essentially) ferments fruit that falls off the tree?

yep, you got it - natural yeasts are all around us  - i guess technically i should have said "no added yeast" ...

- it just takes longer because you are relying on the natural build up of yeasts instead of short-cutting and adding in a 1 trillion strong yeast colony right off the bat...   and who knows the origin of that yeast cake or whats actually in the package? things are always better if we do it the natural way ... i do know from experience it just tastes better and smoother done the natural way without adding store-bought yeast...
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We got a place right down the road that makes the "Apple Pie" shine. I live about 10 miles from the distillery and plan on taking a tour this Saturday.

mbrdistillery

Meh, they use a 50/50 mix.  Kinda like boiling your ribs before putting them on the grill.  You'd be better off driving to Gatlinburg and buying a jar of the Ole Smokey Distillery White Lightning...at least it's an 80% corn mix.

You won't find many, if any, commerical distilleries using all corn mash.  Costs too much on top of exhorbitant federal taxes they have to pay.  

Speaking of Ol' Smokey Distillery, their Apple Pie shine is just too sweet.  Furthermore, the alcohol content is neglible (40proof).  I'd be willing to bet MBR's will be the same.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

thats all we can....legally....get here. is it any good at all?
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

Pretty good for degreasing engines and killing brain cells...

Actually it is pretty good, I've known some guys who throw some charred oak staves in it or let it sit in some mini barrels for a while.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth...

I bought a pint of it before for shits and giggles.  You might make an ugly face when you first drink it.  It wasn't as good as the real stuff.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Speaking of Ol' Smokey Distillery, their Apple Pie shine is just too sweet.  Furthermore, the alcohol content is neglible (40proof).  I'd be willing to bet MBR's will be the same.

Is that just the apple pie flavor or did they change it across the board?  I got two jars from Ole Smoky in November of 2010 (one White Lightning, one Corn Whisky).  Both were listed as 100 proof, or 50% alcohol.  The lady at the register said they were all out of the flavored varieties.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that just the apple pie flavor or did they change it across the board?  I got two jars from Ole Smoky in November of 2010 (one White Lightning, one Corn Whisky).  Both were listed as 100 proof, or 50% alcohol.  The lady at the register said they were all out of the flavored varieties.  

Just the apple pie flavor.  The corn whiskey is 100 proof and made with an 80/20 mix.

What I can't figure out is why, with all of their machinery and know-how, they don't "stiffen up" the apple pie.  

I can make an ~80 proof version that is as smooth as cider, but can and will knock your dick in the dirt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Man o man I'd loved to try some of his corn whiskey when he was alive.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

"In the 1960s or 70s, Sutton was given the nickname of "Popcorn" Sutton after damaging a bar's faulty popcorn vending machine with a pool cue."

How do YOU know??

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Horseshit...vodka is distilled from potatoes....moonshine is made from corn.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I hope his family is getting paid for the use of his name.  The old coot went to his grave rather than go to prison for making shine and now somebody is selling a legal version with his name on it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I hope his family is getting paid for the use of his name.  The old coot went to his grave rather than go to prison for making shine and now somebody is selling a legal version with his name on it.

yeah.  that is kinda gay.

I'd like to get his recipe.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Horseshit...vodka is distilled from potatoes....moonshine is made from corn.

Very little vodka is made from potatoes, most is made from grain. There are even a few vodkas made from corn like Tito's. Vodka can be made from just about anything that can be distilled. I have seen vodkas made from beets, oranges, rice, grapes and so on.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do YOU know??

Notsureifserious.gif
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I'm curious about the "apple pie" you guys are talking about.  I've always known it as a ~40* liqueur type drink.
Are y'all talking about apple flavored shine?

Here's what goes into the "apple pie" I'm familiar with.
1 G apple juice
1/2 G apple cider
1/2 G 160*
1 C honey
16 3-4" cinnamon sticks

Simmer cinnamon sticks in cider about 15 minutes, add honey, stir to mix honey then remove sticks and set aside.
Mix remaining ingredients and add two sticks into each Qt jar.
Give it a week to develop.

Link Posted: 7/13/2011 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do YOU know??

Notsureifserious.gif
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I'm curious about the "apple pie" you guys are talking about.  I've always known it as a ~40* liqueur type drink.
Are y'all talking about apple flavored shine?

Here's what goes into the "apple pie" I'm familiar with.
1 G apple juice
1/2 G apple cider
1/2 G 160*
1 C honey
16 3-4" cinnamon sticks

Simmer cinnamon sticks in cider about 15 minutes, add honey, stir to mix honey then remove sticks and set aside.
Mix remaining ingredients and add two sticks into each Qt jar.
Give it a week to develop.

That's what I'm talking about.  My recipe is different, but the concept is the same.

Tips:  Don't use cinnamon sticks as the flavor isn't strong enough...which is why your recipe calls for apple cider that would add cinnamon to the mix.  Ground cinnamon, once boiled in the mix, is rehydrated, which opens up the flavors.

Don't add your boiling mix until you can hold your finger in the mix for a 5 count.  Alcohol evaporation temp is dependent on a number of factors, you add your hot mix too soon and you evaporate a bunch of ethanol.

Apple juice used should be 100% apple juice with no sugar/flavors added.

Generally speaking, a couple days in the fridge is all thats required for the flavors to meld.  

A tiny bit of vanilla extract in the mix can lessen the bite of strong Apple Pie (50/50 mix or better).

Women tend to like the 60 proof versions, whereas most men will drink the 80 proof all day long.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the apple pie flavor.  The corn whiskey is 100 proof and made with an 80/20 mix.

What I can't figure out is why, with all of their machinery and know-how, they don't "stiffen up" the apple pie.  

I can make an ~80 proof version that is as smooth as cider, but can and will knock your dick in the dirt.

Yeah, I was a bit sad that they didn't have any of the flavored ones when I was there.  I was looking to come home with more than just two jars.

I heard they keep the White Lightning to 100 proof due to tax reasons, otherwise I think it would have been a lot higher proof.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2011 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was a bit sad that they didn't have any of the flavored ones when I was there.  I was looking to come home with more than just two jars.

I heard they keep the White Lightning to 100 proof due to tax reasons, otherwise I think it would have been a lot higher proof.  

that's correct.

Also why Everclear or PGA costs $20/bottle.  It isn't the contents you're paying for, but rather alcohol proof and associated taxes.

I've made apple pie with some of the Ole' Smokey White Lightning.  It's ok.  Next time you go, get more than 2 jars (it is kinda pricey there) and I'll shoot you a recipe for pie.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I was in a laboratory one time and was suprised to see they had a bottle of Everclear in the fridge.  Apparently, it's a good source for lab grade ethanol as well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've made apple pie with some of the Ole' Smokey White Lightning.  It's ok.  Next time you go, get more than 2 jars (it is kinda pricey there) and I'll shoot you a recipe for pie.

The lady at Ole Smoky told me that they gave out the recipes for apple pie if you bought their White Lightning.  Like a dumbass I didn't buy it during that visit (because I was going hiking and I figured having a jar of moonshine in my backpack would be too heavy).  So when I went back (after hiking) and bought my two jars I forgot to ask her for the recipes.    May have to take you up on the recipe next time I am down there.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was in a laboratory one time and was suprised to see they had a bottle of Everclear in the fridge.  Apparently, it's a good source for lab grade ethanol as well.

that 190 proof everclear must be some serious mind-bending fluid - they say mixed w/distilled water and drunk it does not cause a hangover - a myth (never tried it - scared of it)? you can buy it here in tn, but across the border in va i heard it's illegal to sell it - is that true?
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DSCF1055.JPG

OOooooooh purty.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top