Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2011 11:34:56 PM EDT
What is the value of a hollowpoint if it may create a potential loss of functional reliability, and an expanded hollowpoint (Gold Dot) isn't even advertised to penetrate to 12"?

It seems like a net loss when you likely don't even have "enough" to start with...
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well that's true but the crackheads that live near here aren't 12" thick
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
.380 is something I wouldn't much mind using ball ammo in for those very reasons. Naturally, a larger permanent wound cavity from either an expanded or sharp edged projectile would be nice... but it doesn't matter if you can't reach the vitals.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's 12" of calibrated gel, not 12" of body.

12" of gel simulates depth of the vital organs underneath bone and other tissue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]
If someone shoots someone attacking and that round goes into the attacker then exits then goes into an innocent bystander.....the opinion is not going to be favorable on the shooter even though the intent of the shot was to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread will not end well.

I carry whatever's in my basket when leaving the funstore.
Right now that's gold dots in my lcp and pdx1 in my Glock 19, HST in my .45 at home.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Because it makes people feel like they have a more powerful gun with hollowpoints.   FMJ for me in mine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to switch from Cor-Bon +P to ball for the LCP.  And going to carry it less for a bigger pistol.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
i carry round tiped fmj jut for guaranteed reliability. I have had a VERY occasional feedramp problem with the hollow points(2 times out of mybe 600 rounds)   The odds are not good that the gun would jam at any given moment but I like the odds of it NEVER getting a feedramp jam better so I don't use that ammo.    
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dammit, beat me to it!

I carry HP +P cuz I feel like it gives a miniscule round a little extra edge.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:27:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I alternate FMJ's and Corbon PowRBalls in my 32.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I run corbon powerball in my keltec p3at.  best cycling hp's i have found.  I have never had a single problem with them at all.  I use them in my 1911 for the same reason.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I love the "fmj might go through and hurt an innocent" argument, have these never considered the very high probability they will miss some or all of their shots?  Or that a hollowpoint can very well go through as well, I would venture to say I'd rather my bullets penetrate completely than fall short and not get the job done.  Your playing into the liberals hand if you think only hollowpoints are for shooting people and fmj for targets.  As for the immediate topic:  use whatever is reliable, I use fmj 9mm in my Pf9 because the ho's I bought caused all kinds of failures.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:41:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Penetration is the problem as previously stated, and for anyone who has killed big game, you know you want a game animal to bleed out to put it down and that is best done with an exit wound and as large an exit wound as possible depending on how much tissue destruction you are willing to cause.
With the 380 ACP an exit wound is quite unlikely with hollow point ammo, so I'd go with solids that have the added benefit of being more reliable which is also previously stated.
Rapidly expanding bullets are an advantage in cartridges such as a .357 magnum which I've seen go through 16 inches or more of animal and cause minimal tissue destruction then leave an exit hole not larger than 1/2" and that in a soft point design.
In a higher powered weapon such as the .357 magnum, hollow points serve a purpose to help expend the bullets energy in the target, such is not a problem with the 380 ACP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Penetration is the problem as previously stated, and for anyone who has killed big game, you know you want a game animal to bleed out to put it down and that is best done with an exit wound and as large an exit wound as possible depending on how much tissue destruction you are willing to cause.
With the 380 ACP an exit wound is quite unlikely with hollow point ammo, so I'd go with solids that have the added benefit of being more reliable which is also previously stated.
Rapidly expanding bullets are an advantage in cartridges such as a .357 magnum which I've seen go through 16 inches or more of animal and cause minimal tissue destruction then leave an exit hole not larger than 1/2" and that in a soft point design.
In a higher powered weapon such as the .357 magnum, hollow points serve a purpose to help expend the bullets energy in the target, such is not a problem with the 380 ACP.

Hunting game and defending yourself are two very different things.

If I weren't afraid of over-penetration, I would carry ball ammo, and shoot a .44 mag with flat soft lead nosed rounds.

Hunting, I have the advantage of not being hunted myself, as well as a weapon and round I selected specifically for that game, as well as being able to choose my shot.  

I want to hit as many vital organs as I can, if I have to shoot someone in self defense.  For that reason, I will not carry anything less than a 9mm.  .380 has some serious competitors in the small pistol game, which leads me to believe that there is no reason for any round smaller than that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Corbon

.380 DPX 80 gr 12-17 in. penetration

.380 JHP 90 gr  9-14 in penetration

That's per Corbon's site.

I don't see why you wouldn't use either of those for self defense carry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:55:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry Simian Death Rounds from Magna Kill in my LCP, they penetrate 2 feet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been reading on here about why not to carry hollow points in .380 and why FMJ is better, ect so I decided to test both types of ammo I had on hand, just to see.

I used old catalogs. They are hard cover, like books.

I was about 10 feet away. I loaded all rounds in the same mag and didn't move until all shots were fired.

First up was the Golden Saber.

You can see it made it to page 263. It expaned very nicely. The round looks like a little metal starfish.

Next up was the Speer Lawman FMJ.

It only made it to page 247. This confuses me as a lot of people on here say to carry FMJ and not hollow points because FMJ penetrates better. Not this time it didn't.

And someone will think they are smart and say something stupid like a hardcover book is not a human, or something equally wrong.

Here's a unscientific test on .380s

http://www.citybillys.com/380%20data.htm

Now let the "no it doesn't" - "yes it does" BS continue.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What if you have to shoot through their arm to reach the body cavity or have to shoot at an oblique angle?  From the arm pit to the aorta is quite a bit of distance.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:04:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:05:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I use FMJ's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:06:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been reading on here about why not to carry hollow points in .380 and why FMJ is better, ect so I decided to test both types of ammo I had on hand, just to see.

I was about 10 feet away. I loaded all rounds in the same mag and didn't move until all shots were fired.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/aquaman67/Photo0139.jpg

You can see it made it to page 263. It expaned very nicely. The round looks like a little metal starfish.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/aquaman67/Photo0140.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/aquaman67/Photo0141.jpg

It only made it to page 247. This confuses me as a lot of people on here say to carry FMJ and not hollow points because FMJ penetrates better. Not this time it didn't.

And someone will think they are smart and say something stupid like a hardcover book is not a human, or something equally wrong.

a book isn't remotely close to how a bullet works in tissue.

it's not JUST about penetration, it's about relible expansion in the media, penetration and reliability in the firearm. all of those work together. Almost any HP is going to expand hitting a hard target.

Right, and the Golden Saber expanded and STILL had better penetration than the FMJ...
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Most FMJ handgun ammo is manufactured as training ammo and generally are not loaded to the pressures and velocities of self defense ammo.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:11:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love the "fmj might go through and hurt an innocent" argument, have these never considered the very high probability they will miss some or all of their shots?  Or that a hollowpoint can very well go through as well, I would venture to say I'd rather my bullets penetrate completely than fall short and not get the job done.  Your playing into the liberals hand if you think only hollowpoints are for shooting people and fmj for targets.  As for the immediate topic:  use whatever is reliable, I use fmj 9mm in my Pf9 because the ho's I bought caused all kinds of failures.

Of course I've considered it..........and there was no guess to why my small arms instructor raked me over coals when he pointed to my Sil and yelled for a round not "into the paperman".

"YOU MISS AND WE HAVE AN INCIDENT!"

So you practice, practice, practice so you don't miss.

Yes, an HP might go through him as well.............but it's got less of a chance of doing so than FMJ.

Jail does not suit my lifestyle ....... but if I hit an innocent bystander, that's where I'm going, so it is working the equation to stay alive and stay out of jail.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:21:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Summer time carry, when its 98 degrees out and 85% humidity, I use a P3AT.
I have a mag of hollow points as a backup, and keep one hollow point in the chamber while the mag in the P3AT is FMJ.

All ammo has shown to feed consistently. I'm good with this setup. I know its limitations. In essence, its better than nothing and works for me in my situation.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:24:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For me the reason to carry Gold Dots instead of FMJ is simple: The Gold Dots are made with higher quality components that make the weapon more likely to go bang when the trigger is pulled and to run without malfunction.

Besides, the LCP is rarely anything but a tertiary weapon. I don't expect it to reliably expand or to penetrate deeply. It's strictly a better than fingernails weapon.

you must have some wicked fingernails!

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a book isn't remotely close to how a bullet works in tissue.

it's not JUST about penetration, it's about relible expansion in the media, penetration and reliability in the firearm. all of those work together. Almost any HP is going to expand hitting a hard target.

Right, and the Golden Saber expanded and STILL had better penetration than the FMJ...

i never said it isn't good ammo, i said you test is completely moot in regards to how a bullet will perform in a body.

You're missing the point. The hollow point bullet was at it's worst case scenario (full expansion in a hard medium) and STILL penetrated deeper than ball. This makes the "ball is better because it has deeper penetration" argument invalid.

Ball ammo is not as powerful as the +p premium stuff. Unless you're shooting some foriegn, machinegun ammo (not recomended in a plastic pocket pistol) you're better off with premium self defense ammo.

Anecdote: I personally know of a shooting where the shooter had to shoot 9 times with a .45 acp. Most were torso hits. Yes, he had to reload. Care to guess what style ammo he was using? FMJ. I'd lay dollars to doughnuts that if those had been golden sabers or gold dots, the bad guy would have been out of commision much sooner.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If someone shoots someone attacking and that round goes into the attacker then exits then goes into an innocent bystander.....the opinion is not going to be favorable on the shooter even though the intent of the shot was to defend themselves.

People are so worried about overpenetration.  I think a more realistic concern is simply missing your target, and hitting a bystander with an errant shot.  Are therre any actual court cases where someone was 'punished' for an overpenetrating shot that hurt someone down the street in an otherwise 'Good Shoot'?  I have a feeling, that much like handloads, that there aren't any real cases of it happening.

In my guns, I used to carry only FMJ, figuring that heavy coats, glass, car door, whatever might get in the way.  I have recently switched to Hornady's new Critical Defense.  They're HP with a rubber plug in the hollow point.  I figure that way, at worst, it's a slightly softer FMJ.  If it works as advertised, it's a properly expanding HP.  I carry it in both my LCP and my CZ75B.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine has FMJ in it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#33]
HPs out of a .380 are designed to slap your attacker in the face
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry FMJ in my vz.82.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Because it makes people feel like they have a more powerful gun with hollowpoints.   FMJ for me in mine.

I'm under no such illusion with Gold Dots in the P3AT.  It is a severe compromise, but I can carry it easily in professional work attire, and it would remain hidden, PERIOD, were I ever to carry it in the building (workplace forbids concealed carry).

As for reliability, I had a few stoppages in the first hundred rounds with plain old ball ammo, (slide didn't fully return to battery) but that went away and I have had absolutely zero problems with any ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Jello tests aside all I know 1st hand is that back in '90 I shot a 200+ lb full rut buck in the neck (coup de grace) at 6-8 feet with a .380 PPK/S using old school  Win. Silver Tip HP ammo and it went through one side, through the spine, and exited out the other side. The exit hole was a bit bigger than the size of a nickle. It traveled through 8-9" of hair, hide, mucle, and bone.

I was impressed so that is what I have carried in my .380s  ever since. I may be deluding myself on that account but I prefer to go on what I've seen 1st hand rather than what I've read/heard.

I would speculate that the high-end self-defence .380 HP ammo available today would do just as well as '90 vintage Win Silver-Tip HPs in that regard but what do I know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#37]
100 grain hard cast from Buffalo Bore in a P3AT.  Clocks at 1,033 fps from that barrel, which I figure is capable of penetrating about as much as a .380 round can.  Feeds great and shoots tight.  I really think people over think their carry ammo, and that there is no right or wrong answer as every case is different.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I carry FMJ in my vz.82.

Not like you really have a choice, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry FMJ in my vz.82.

I've got a couple of boxes of Silver Bear HP, though I have absolutely zero faith in their ability to expand.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are so worried about overpenetration.  I think a more realistic concern is simply missing your target, and hitting a bystander with an errant shot.  Are there any actual court cases where someone was 'punished' for an over penetrating shot that hurt someone down the street in an otherwise 'Good Shoot'?  I have a feeling, that much like handloads, that there aren't any real cases of it happening.

In my guns, I used to carry only FMJ, figuring that heavy coats, glass, car door, whatever might get in the way.  I have recently switched to Hornady's new Critical Defense.  They're HP with a rubber plug in the hollow point.  I figure that way, at worst, it's a slightly softer FMJ.  If it works as advertised, it's a properly expanding HP.  I carry it in both my LCP and my CZ75B.

Exatamundo Cunningham .

I'ts a problem I'm not concerned with.  .  .  .  not in the least.

Gold Dots and Hydroshocks in my 380 , and Hornady XTPs in my CZ-82 in 9mm Makarov.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry FMJ in my vz.82.

There has been HP ammo available for the Makarov for years.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry FMJ in my vz.82.

Yup , check out Hornady
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#43]
When I carry .380, I prefer hollow pounts.

Now that I have a Kel Tec .32, I'm not sure yet.  Once I get the thing reliable, I might stick with round nose just to keep as much weight in the round as possible.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I carry only ball in my .380s and .32s.  I have a theory anyway that it's just enough gun to get me in trouble and probably not enough to get me out of it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry FMJ in my vz.82.

Yup , check out Hornady

Wow, I took some lumps for that one, huh?  

I change my plea to 'guilty' and throw myself upon the mercy of the ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Buffalo Bore +P FMJ in my LCP. Feeds perfectly in my gun and it's a good penetrator for .380ACP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#47]
I recently shot an LCP at our local range and I have to admit I was impressed with the wee thing.

It worked 100%, which is more than I can say about some of the .380s I have shot (and unfortunately owned) over the years.  It sent a few cases down my the back of my shirt collar which was distracting.

The locked breech design made recoil very light- my Sig 232 has more felt recoil by a large margin.

Not to hijack the .380 ammo discussion, but is the LCP a "mature" product at this point?  Any pitfalls to be aware of?

For some reason Ruger products and I have never gotten along well so I am a bit shy about buying one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#48]
The wife and I use Federal 90 gr. Hydra-shok HP ammo in both of our daily carry weapons.  They meet the 12" FBI penetration criteria.  The Beretta Model 84 I carry has 14 on board and I'm not worried about whether I'll be able to drop an attacker.  I'm confident enough of my gun's accuracy and my ability to place the shots at close range that I'm probably going to go for the head shot.  I doubt anybody will be getting up after being popped in the forehead with a couple of Hydra-shoks.   Remember, if it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting several times.  I teach 3-shots minimum from small calibers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#49]
What about Hornady's "Critical Defense" 90gn FTX 380acp?  I only have range time with them, but they function in my P3AT without malfunction (so far) and are pretty accurate (around 20' - 25').  I've never heard anything bad about them, other than the price?!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#50]

FMJ and Cor-Bon DPX 80gr for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top