Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2001 12:49:57 PM EDT
i have both AR15 and Daewoo i like both . has any body shot a Daewoo and like it better than ar15?
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Daewoo better than an AR? [b]NOPE![/b] I had one and hated it! [pissed] Try to get spare parts for them if you have a problem. [:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't they make microwave ovens?

Seriously, shot a buddies, not overly impressed.  It's a fine weapon, but parts are an SOB.

Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
NOT!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Lets look at it objectively.

The Daewoo has a much better gas system. NO crud from the gas system enters the receiver.

The Daewoo has much worse sights. Of course, if they hadn't been banned, very likely someone would have come up with better sights.

I undersatnd the Daewoo recoils a little harder than the AR. Not a huge deal - we ARE talking .223 here.

The AR has literally INFINITE #'s of spare parts, configurations, sights, uppers, accessories etc. that's VERY cool, IMO.

The Daewoo barrel is 1 in 11 - designed for the lighter weight bullets. Thats the only barrel it was made in. The AR is usually 1 in 9, and works better with the heavier SS109 and other bullets. And you can get all the other turns as well with the AR.

Yeah, the AR wins.

If only it weren't for the crappy AR gas system.

Link Posted: 3/29/2001 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Within two years after returning from RVN I began my endless search for the perfect survival weapon..Ive owned ARs- Cars- H&Ks- (91,93)- Aug- Fn Fal- M1A-Valmet M76
Steyr SSG PII-Steyr Scout-Rem PSS-(26" 20") got to play with some of the very first Daewoos back in the early 80s..If there is a perfect weapon out there I havent seen it
so my conclusion is there just isnt one..a rifle is simply a tool, like a hammer or a chisel or a dremmel..in the right hands- trained hands- practiced hands- knowledgeable hands it can do amazing things..(witness our forefathers shooting squirrels and buffaloes at phenomenal distances with early rifles powder and homemade lead projectiles)...of all the weapons Americans can own the AR series (imo) is the best optics platform and has the most interest among those who strive to perfect it- tune it- equip it -& form a plethora of potentialities (like the illiteration?)...the AR15 and AR10 series at this moment in time seem to me to have the best potential to be improved upon and practiced with and being so plentiful the most cost efficient and with a dedicated following of gunsmiths and machinists it will be taken to its highest potential...and then something else will come along....laser particle beam toothpicks accelerated to the speed of light and the old farts will cling to the AR like some of my friends do their M1s
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#6]
HELL NO![x]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Good post Garandman.
I agree completely.
I sold my DR200 to fund my first AR buildup. And havent looked back. Except that I shoulda sold it for more $$.
Mine was 1:12 twist and only liked bullets 55gr. and less.
But shot phenomenally with Hornady 40's.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't that Daewoo DR200 a wannabe M231 Port Firing Weapon with that wire stock?(I'm joking just in case I get flamed for the comparison)

Unless of course you got a full stock on it.

Anyone ever get to fire one of those port firing M16's?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Everybody likes to bad mouth the AR-15's gas system.

Remember, other gas systems need cleaning too, just in a different spot.

That said, we have  a board member that has ran 7,000 rounds through his rifle with NO cleaning.  Just a squirt of lube now and then.

How's that for reliable?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That said, we have  a board member that has ran 7,000 rounds through his rifle with NO cleaning.  Just a squirt of lube now and then.

How's that for reliable?
View Quote

Sounds pretty damm good to me.

Mine have never had more than 200rds at a time without a cleanup.  I always clean my sh*t.  Afraid of corrosion in the bore and all that crap.

After what happened to my 11/87 bore, I never wait more than 2 weeks after the range to clean it.

(11/87 got some rust in the chamber area)
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How's that for reliable?
View Quote

I'll admit, it is kinda a theoretical thing about the AR gas system. I've persoanlly never had a jam that I attributed directly to crud from the gas system.

But then, if you are talking about the perfect battle rifle, you don't want ANYTHING that could cost you your life. Like "dirt" from the gas system.

Put it this way -

if you were driving from Florida to California, would you take a car that you knew had dirt in the gas tank that might make its way up to the fuel injectors, or a car that you knew had a clean gas tank???

I'll also concede that the AR gets a bit of a bad rap from the troubles it had in its earliest developmental stages in 'Nam. Problems that have largely been rectified since then. But the death of a battle rifle is when the soldier that carries doesn't ahve a warm and fuzzy feeling about it.

Lastly, re: Mr. 7,000 rounds w/o cleaning -

if he was using breakfree as his lube, he actually WAS cleaning it, as breakfree is also good for desolving loose carbon and powder fouling.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always clean my sh*t.  
View Quote

That presents a rather unsettling mental picture.  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Really!  I think the Stoner gas system has gotten a bad and undeserved rap.  The expanding gasses blow into the bolt carrier and push the bolt forward as it pushes the bolt carrier back.  This reduces a lot of stresses on the bolt lugs and barrel extension during unlocking and in fact makes it one of the best, most positive unlocking gas systems ever designed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always clean my sh*t.  
View Quote

That presents a rather unsettling mental picture.  [:D]
View Quote

I always clean my weaponry.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Garandman:
You have to be specific on which rifle you are referring to, the K1 uses direct gas impingement and the K2 uses a piston.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Garandman:
You have to be specific on which rifle you are referring to, the K1 uses direct gas impingement and the K2 uses a piston.
View Quote

What's an "impingement?"

How's it different than the "K2??"
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Direct gas impingement is the system used by the M-16/AR.  The K1 uses a gas system like the M16/AR15, while the K2 uses a system like the AR18
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the k1 with the folding stock I believe there are positives about both the ar and the k1.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#19]
overall the daewoo is a better weapon compared to it's design equivelant the sp1.  it takes all the best features of the ar and ak systems.

plus items
1: the ak style gas system
2: the a1 style sights with elevation
3: folding stock (assuming preban)
4: takes all ar mags
5: accurate as hell
6: ar alloy reciever
7: much more rugged than an ar in the field

minus
1: spare parts avail -but have anyone needed any?
2: stock is a little short for my taste
3: weight - about a 1lb more than a sp1
4: not as cool looking as a fnc
5: bakelite stocks not as durable as latest a2 stocks

bearing in mind that the daewoo's we have in this country are pre '89 spec - compared to a sp1 the daewoo wins.  compare it to the latest m4 technology that we have access to and it comes up a bit short.  BUT if i had access to a daewoo or a sp1 and had to grap one only.... i'd grab the daewoo.

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top