Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2011 10:14:21 PM EDT
I have always heard that the rule of thumb was one 12 ounce container of beer with a regular alcohol content, or one shot for a person of average weight.

When I looked at it more, some people said that you can only process 6 ounces worth of beer in an hour.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Most people would rather not take the chance of being over the limit the next morning.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I can take in more than that in an hour, but not be sober the next morning.  It all depends on many factors like weight, how often you drink, etc...
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as alcohol content goes, the average human burns off .015% per hour.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So lets say I have a .08 BAC right now (which I dont, actually...I had one beer with dinner), by 8 AM I would be

.08- 3AM
.065- 4AM
.050- 5AM
.035- 6AM
.020- 7AM
.005- 8AM
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So lets say I have a .08 BAC right now (which I dont, actually...I had one beer with dinner), by 8 AM I would be

.08- 3AM
.065- 4AM
.050- 5AM
.035- 6AM
.020- 7AM
.005- 8AM

That would be about right, assuming you are 'average' and that you stopped adding alcohol to the bloodstream.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on how ugly the girl is and how desperate you are to have sex
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are worried about bottle to throttle why risk it?

This is just for general reference, not concerned at all.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.08- 3AM
.065- 4AM
.050- 5AM
.035- 6AM
.020- 7AM
.005- 8AM

That would be about right, assuming you are 'average' and that you stopped adding alcohol to the bloodstream.

What he said.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Why abuse your body like that in the first place?

I don't mean to sound preachy, but you've got to get pretty hammered to still be over .08 the next morning.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't mean to sound preachy, but you've got to get pretty hammered to still be over .08 the next morning.

.08 the next morning, where did I say that?

I am just interested, which is precisely why I asked.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd always heard the 12 ounce 6% alcohol beer or 1 ounce shot of 70 proof liquor per hour, but what do I know I'm drunk.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never blown to see where my BAC is when I'm really hammered but I know from experience that I can sleep 4-5 hrs wake up and be feeling shitty but sober. Thats drinking over a 4hr period at 5-6 drinks an hour.

ETA: by a BAC calc I'd be at .320.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never blown to see where my BAC is when I'm really hammered but I know from experience that I can sleep 4-5 hrs wake up and be feeling shitty but sober. Thats drinking over a 4hr period at 5-6 drinks an hour.

If you drink 20 to 24 drinks in four hours, there is no way you're even close to sober after 5 hours of sleep...
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#16]
The body can metabolize about half an ounce of ethanol per hour.  Most 1oz shots are roughly 50%, or half an ounce of alcohol.  Most 12oz beers are about 5 percent, or .05 * 12 oz = .6 oz ethanol. A glass of wine is similar.  

So basically a beer an hour.  This varies by person.  Faster metabolisms may burn it faster, and there are other ways the body rids itself of alcohol, so those can vary to a certain degree.

Quoted:

This is so misleading it's not even funny.  Your brain plays some funny tricks on you.  

I've been completely shit-faced, passed out, had someone wake me up thirty minutes later, and I thought it was the next morning and I was sober, just a little disoriented.  I'm not exaggerating at all.  It freaked me out.

You really don't always know how sober you are.  Especially once you've gone to sleep and your brain has adjusted to it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I know it doesn't make sense and believe me the last thing after so little sleep and that much alcohol the last thing I feel like doing is anything if it involves sunlight or any motion.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd always heard the 12 ounce 6% alcohol beer or 1 ounce shot of 70 proof liquor per hour, but what do I know I'm drunk.

those are all equivalent to about 0.02% BAC
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you're .320, and actually sober in 4-5 hours, you're superman.  You may think you're sober because you're so much better than 4 hours previous, but you certainly aren't sober.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're .320, and actually sober in 4-5 hours, you're superman.  You may think you're sober because you're so much better than 4 hours previous, but you certainly aren't sober.
Yup, i've woken up still drunk and hungover the next morning.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine can process more than most
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I hate college for making tolerance go up
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

and if you've got a belly full of booze you can wake up drunker than when you went to bed
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have always heard that the rule of thumb was one 12 ounce container of beer with a regular alcohol content, or one shot for a person of average weight.

When I looked at it more, some people said that you can only process 6 ounces worth of beer in an hour.

I'm on it!

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Not sure about that but my brother can process a 1/5 of Jim Beam in an hour. Then it spends the rest of the evening processing him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Preacher has spoken.. Oh and where did he say anything about being at .08 the next morning??
I have read it twice and dont see that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#28]
IME people burn off BAC at about .01% an hour.

Which isnt nearly fast enough when i'm babysitting some bum with a .40% BAC
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And, sober or not, I guarantee you reek.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I know it doesn't make sense and believe me the last thing after so little sleep and that much alcohol the last thing I feel like doing is anything if it involves sunlight or any motion.

Your story reminds me of a DUI arrest I did. Him, like you, used the defense of him sleeping and even working out when he woke up. He was a .16. Driving like an idiot too (80 in a 45 and ran a light).

Heavy drinking requires a long time to sober up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#31]
.02 per hr
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Liver, liver, liver!
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you drink 20 to 24 drinks in four hours, there is no way you're even close to sober after 5 hours of sleep...

Good grief, I just had the sensation of a nasty hangover after reading this. I haven't been "stupid drunk" in many years and I DO NOT miss waking up for work still drunk and dizzy
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

and if you've got a belly full of booze you can wake up drunker than when you went to bed

I used to purge it right before sleeping then downing a full bottle of water or gatorade or both
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think if you googled it, you'd find that most beer is only 3-5% by whatever volume it is (12oz...40oz). Heck, it's probably right on the can/bottle. Stout beers can approach 10% alcohol by volume, but a shot of hard liquor is much higher percentage of alcohol equal to 1/2 the proof. A 70 proof liquor is 35% alcohol by volume, 100 proof is 50% by volume, and so on.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hate college for making tolerance go up

Happiness is having a low tolerance.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of weeks ago two of my friends got back from deployment so we went out to the bar to celebrate. Closed out the bar and got yelled at trying to walk into at least 2 more that were already closed Went to sleep and woke up about 5 hours later, still wasted. I've never had that happen before.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of weeks ago two of my friends got back from deployment so we went out to the bar to celebrate. Closed out the bar and got yelled at trying to walk into at least 2 more that were already closed Went to sleep and woke up about 5 hours later, still wasted. I've never had that happen before.

I saw it happen a few times when I was a CO.  We used to have a mandatory minimum 6 hour hold for any alcohol offenses and a BAC chart to estimate how long it would take you to get to a low enough BAC.  Sometimes you'd get a guy at 2am for DUI or Public Intoxication that would test low enough for the 6 hour minimum, then when you go back at 8 to see if he wants to bond out his BAC has increased from digesting what was in his stomach.  I believe they've changed it now so you can't be released until you're stone sober.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top