Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2011 8:49:31 AM EDT
I have never watched this movie before. Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Get it in real movie format.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes.

+1 way underrated IMO
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a very good movie.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
So far it sucks ..... it better get better.
ETA 10:58 PDT - Okay, now it's gettin' good!
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So far it sucks ..... it better get better.

Winning - makes for happy endings.

This is a documentary turned into a drama.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It's based on the book Ghost Soldiers, by Hampton Sides. The movie is better than the book in that nowhere in the movie does anyone attempt to excuse the atrocities of the Japanese, or the culture that enabled them.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's based on the book Ghost Soldiers, by Hampton Sides. The movie is better than the book in that nowhere in the movie does anyone attempt to excuse the atrocities of the Japanese, or the culture that enabled them.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/497248-2/1287025439117

http://www.pow-wwii.com/images/execution.jpg

Yea, we tried a lot of Germans for war crimes, how many Japanese were prosecuted?  Between what they did in China and to us, there should have been no shortage of defendants.  

ETA: One of my Uncles fought on Saipan, he had no love for them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#9]
It's been a bit slow but will pick up.  An amazing true story of some tough motherfuckers.  

True heroes.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
My father was a pilot in WWII.  He never liked the Japanese much.  He didn't want anything built in Japan.  He didn't want to eat Japanese food.

For him the cruel treatment of prisoners in WWII weren't a movie or history they were his life.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Be sure to watch the final scenes of the movie, where it shows actual footage
of the rescued men returning to the US.
If that doesn`t move you, little will.

scruff
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#12]
The Japanese were fortunate that the merciful USA got the atomic bomb first and not the Chinese or Koreans.  If the Chinese had the atomic bomb during WWII, Japan would have been exterminated completely...and it would haven been largely deserved.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#13]
While some of it seemed a bit cheesy early on, overall it was a VERY good telling of a true story.  I think it does great honor to the men that risked their lives that their countrymen could be rescued.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Japanese were fortunate that the merciful USA got the atomic bomb first and not the Chinese or Koreans.  If the Chinese had the atomic bomb during WWII, Japan would have been exterminated completely...and it would haven been largely deserved.

Russians

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes.

Get it in real movie format.

This.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#16]
It has always been my understanding that MacArthur allowed the Nips to get by mostly on a wink and a nod, that the atrocities committed in POW camps weren't part of the policy or orders of the Imperial Japanese Army high command. General Homma was tried and executed for Bataan, but there was no deep-dive follow up on the actual perpetrators like there was for the Nazis, chasing down every corporal and sergeant who carried out the murders.

It took the fucking Soviets to prosecute Unit 731, for God's sake.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It has always been my understanding that MacArthur allowed the Nips to get by mostly on a wink and a nod, that the atrocities committed in POW camps weren't part of the policy or orders of the Imperial Japanese Army high command. General Homma was tried and executed for Bataan, but there was no deep-dive follow up on the actual perpetrators like there was for the Nazis, chasing down every corporal and sergeant who carried out the murders.

Amazing.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's why it's a good thing we got the bomb first, also, the Japanese knew what was in store if the surrendered to the Russians.  We still should have hung the people out to dry that committed the crimes.

ETA: The Russians would have cleaned their clock.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I read the book and its actually pretty close.  
My favorite scene which came from the book was the scene where they first open fire on the camp guards which was correct.  The book states most of the guys took aim at the one guard and let him have it.  He seemed to disintegrate from all the bullets.  The movie showed it that way which I wasnt expecting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Under-rated movie. Sadly, the times I viewed it in the theater, the audience was pretty much made up of current military and Filipinos families. I wish more Americans had been interested.

All the Manila and Intramuros scenes make me tear up every time.

The scene with the guerrillas mowing down the Nips... makes me warm and fuzzy inside every time. Especially when that dude that looks like my brother breaks into a big smile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top