Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a geographic preference.

The Amish come from Southern and Eastern Germany and west Poland that area resembles PA, OH, & IN, they wanted to live where thye were comfortable they would of had to do massive changes to thier cultural practices if they had located in the midwest or South East.

The South was not heavily populated until AC began Amish do not use AC.

Come again?

Modern AC was not invented until 1902 in NY state and that was only for commercial uses..

There has been a tremendous increase in population in the South since residential AC became widespread, and it is generally attributable to that fact.

ETA: Almost nobody had AC when I was growing up. We eventually had 2 rooms in a 14 room house with AC: 1 for my grandparents and 1 for my asthmatic brother. The local laundromat had and heavily advertised a 15' X 15' AC room where you could sit while your clothes went through the machines. Theaters, department stores, and restaurants had huge signs with "AIR CONDITIONED" in blue letters with icicles painted on them, and it was a big attraction. I was married before I lived in a place with central AC, and in the late 70s I was installing window units in houses that had never had any AC before that.

Is this your conjecture on your personal experience or do you have some facts to back that up.. If you have numbers showing a dramatic increase in population in the south over other regional trends i would love to see it.  I just dont think one really matters to the other.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't take this the wrong way (thank heavens I live live North of Alexandria) ,  ( and  am considered a Yankee) but those Coonies  would cook and eat those poor SOB"S.  Horses too. The bad part is , it would be a pretty good , Beer battered,  deep fried recipe..
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Amish come from Southern and Eastern Germany and west Poland that area resembles PA, OH, & IN, they wanted to live where thye were comfortable they would of had to do massive changes to thier cultural practices if they had located in the midwest or South East.

Significant misspelling of "Switzerland".

The Mennonites in the U.S. came primarily from Switzerland and southern Germany, so he's partially right.  Maybe he's also thinking of the Schwenkfelders?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been wondering why the Amish are not in the South more. I figure that with huge familys, that they would need to expand, and land has got to be cheaper. I live in Arkansas, and from what I read, Amish settlements have failed here. Maybe its too hot? Maybe they can't compete with local farmers?

They live primitively.  The south is not a good place to do that.  The Northern US was populated first for a reason.  It was also a concern when picking the capital of the nation.

Prior to truly modern medical knowledge and electricity, the hot and humid climates just are not very friendly to humans.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been wondering why the Amish are not in the South more. I figure that with huge familys, that they would need to expand, and land has got to be cheaper. I live in Arkansas, and from what I read, Amish settlements have failed here. Maybe its too hot? Maybe they can't compete with local farmers?

They live primitively.  The south is not a good place to do that.  The Northern US was populated first for a reason.  It was also a concern when picking the capital of the nation.

Prior to truly modern medical knowledge and electricity, the hot and humid climates just are not very friendly to humans.

You do know that DC was a tidal marsh at one point, right?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad farming down south.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
too hot... its hot as fuck down here sometimes.

don't bet on it .... i know of some mennonites whom live near blackville sc .... a fairly larg group in va, and some in fl.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bad farming down south.

Yeah, that whole cotton thing works much better in the Great White North.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Significant misspelling of "Switzerland".

The Mennonites in the U.S. came primarily from Switzerland and southern Germany, so he's partially right.  Maybe he's also thinking of the Schwenkfelders?

Hey, now. Every man who has ever seen the Schwenkfelder twins is always thinking of them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This could go for the dumbest post of the year award. My father in law still has no A/C and I can name off family after family who don't have it. They aren't Amish either just simple country folk. They also have the money to put A/C in there house 1000 times over. A/C is a convenience but everyone doesn't have it and it can be done with out. A/C had nothing to do with the population.

There is a LARGE amish mennonite population in northern Lawrence County, Tennessee.We see buggies on the streets here all the time, kinda strange to go into walmart or pizza hut buffet and have amish folks in full "plain"dress shopping next to you, but you get used to it. They will NOT have anything electric in their houses, but often have igloo blue coolers strapped to the back of their buggies.

BTW, my first dorm room at Memphis State in 1985 did NOT have AC, and I drove several cars during college that did not have AC (they were really chick magnets!!)
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bad farming down south.

Yeah, that whole cotton thing works much better in the Great White North.

Can't eat cotton.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
too hot... its hot as fuck down here sometimes.

don't bet on it .... i know of some mennonites whom live near blackville sc .... a fairly larg group in va, and some in fl.

There are a bunch of them in Belize.  Even hotter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
mennonites are different than amish..
they are allowed to do more shit..
I heard from friends in ohio that the menninites drive the amish around in black vans.
I think menninites are allowed electricty , no collars on shirts, bright colors etc..
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]

i stopped in tennessee, I think it was close to nashville, at a McDonalds and they were woofin down some big macs..
That seemed to be one sin they were all over...
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
From Wiki;
There are Old Order communities in 27 U.S. states and the Canadian province of Ontario; Ohio has the largest population (55,000), followed by Pennsylvania (51,000) and Indiana (38,000).[20] The largest Amish settlements are in Holmes County in central Ohio, Lancaster County in south-central Pennsylvania, and Elkhart and LaGrange counties in northeast Indiana.[21] The largest concentration of Amish west of the Mississippi River is in Missouri, with other settlements in eastern Iowa and Southeast Minnesota.[22] Because of rapid population growth in Amish communities, new settlements are formed to obtain sufficient farmland. Other reasons for new settlements include locating in isolated areas that support their lifestyle, moving to areas with cultures conducive to their way of life, maintaining proximity to family or other Amish groups, and sometimes to resolve church or leadership conflicts.[17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Top 10 Amish Spring Break Activities

10. Drink molasses 'til you heave.
9. Wet bonnet contest.
8. Stuff as many guys as you can into a buggy.
7. Buttermilk kegger.
6. Blow past the Dairy Queen on a really bitchin' Clydesdale.
5. Get tattoo: "Born to Raise Barns."
4. Cruise streets of Ft. Lauderdale shouting insults at people with
   zippers.
3. Sleep in 'til 6 a.m.
2. Drive over to Mennonite country and kick ass.
1. Churning butter naked.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I heard from friends in ohio that the menninites drive the amish around in black vans.
I think menninites are allowed electricty , no collars on shirts, bright colors etc..

Amish are a sect of the branch of Anabaptist churches known as "Mennonite".

The rules for "plain living" the Amish follow vary widely from Ordnung to Ordnung; they do not have a centralized authority structure or rulebook.  Everything is done at local level.
The ones near us can have electricity in the shop, but not the house proper.  Freezers in the basement or on the enclosed porch are common.
Telephones are allowed, but frivolous conversation on them is discouraged.  The local bunch have lights on the buggies, and rubber tires; the next Ordnung north have neither lights, tops, nor tires.

There are also variations in allowed dress, hair, etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
They work hard...wouldn't fit in - in those southern states...
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know that DC was a tidal marsh at one point, right?

Yes.  One of the strongest arguments for New York was it's northern climate.  It ended up being DC out of a colossal clusterfuck involving foreigners, shady lotteries, and good old fashioned fail.  Philadelphia was also considered too diseased during some parts of the year.

One of the most amazing stories in our nations history is the founding of Washington DC.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I heard from friends in ohio that the mennonites drive the amish around in black vans.

The area I live in (Ohio) was a substantial Amish community when I was a child. They began selling their farms in the 60's and moving down to another community in Holmes county. There are still a lot of mennonites around here and some amish. I dated a mennonite girl for a while back in high school. She was the pie girl at a local Amish restaurant. Big titties. Fun girl. No different than other girls I dated. No sex, but that wasn't unusual n those days.
Their practices are dependant on the church. Some are more liberal than others. Same with the Amish. Most Amish still won't drive, most mennonites will. The Amish construction crews do usually ride in window vans driven by english or mennonites that are part of the crew. We call them Yoder toters. No specific colors on the vans, though actually white seems most common. Amish generally have small farms and lucrative side businesses. often, the farm is a secondary source of income. They have money.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Lots and lots in Sarasota. One lives in my apartment, too, but now he says he Catholic, so I dunno.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Ethridge TN has a decent sized amish / mennonite community.  It's about 30 miles west of I-65, and 30 miles north of the AL state line.  I used to buy rough sawn lumber from the amish there, to build fences and other structures on my farm.  The community was pretty strict - the lumber mill had a gentile employee to operate the loader and other power equipment, logs came in on horse drawn carts led by amish, or trucks driven by gentiles.  Not sure how they sorted that out.  The houses tended to have generator or propane powered hot water heaters on the porches, but that seemed to be be the extend of modern conveniances, except in the shops, where sewing machines appeared to be electric.  Good people, lots of buggys to dodge on the road, and buggy parking at the walmart in the bigger town about 7 miles south of Ethridge.
Edit to add - The south, as well as much of the North has a strong "Secret Society" tradition.  Pulaski TN was the hometown of one of the most famous societies.  When I was living in AL, a few years ago one of the local old timers made a strong pitch to me about how much good the "society" had done to preserve law  and order, maintain justice, etc.  I.E. he was telling me it wasn't just about the blacks, but maybe it was about the Amish at one point - there approach to life would be significantly foreign to a lot of what I saw in my time in the south.  I declined his invitation to join the "society" - the fact that I had a small horse farm and didn't mind working hard in my spare time apparently brought on the sales pitch - after I declined the old timer stopped buying hay from me.  No loss.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

STFU
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
There are stores around here that sell Amish foods produced locally so they must live around here some where.  But I would assume that there are so few of them that you just never see them.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Working Man.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They are known as Mennonites down here....we have a bunch of them in Macon county. Good Folks and they have a kickass restaurant in Montazuma.

Mennonites are not Amish any more than Methodists are Baptists.  Fun fact, there are Amish electricians.  They don't have electricity in there house, but they will put it in yours.  

I am guessing they like the fact that the farm land is better in the Midwest.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#26]
oops
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#27]
oops
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are known as Mennonites down here....we have a bunch of them in Macon county. Good Folks and they have a kickass restaurant in Montazuma.

Mennonites are not Amish any more than Methodists are Baptists.  Fun fact, there are Amish electricians.  They don't have electricity in there house, but they will put it in yours.  

I wouldn't say that the farm land is necessarily "better" but the crops that can be grown in the Midwest are more consistent with their traditions.

We ended up with the fun Germans down here along the German Coast.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bad farming down south.

We could grow significantly more in the South along the Mississippi floodplain than probably anywhere in the US if the government was not involved and there was enough money to be made. Longer growing seasons, richer soil, etc.

How much sugarcane do they grow up North? cotton?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#30]
The Moravians wouldnt let them move south
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

We have plenty of Amish in KY and TN.

Maybe they moved out of Arkansas because they realized it was Arkansas...

This. All my family is in rural E. Kentucky. A few farms down the road is a large group of Amish.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Tell that to all that industry that can't wait to get out of the rotting northern states and into free labor states.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mennonites and Amish aren't that different.  Different names for variations of the same thing.  This is according to my Amish/Mennonite roommate who has conservative Amish family and liberal Amish/Mennonite family.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to all that industry that can't wait to get out of the rotting northern states and into free labor states.

The south is the place to know about free labor. Old times there are not forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 1:48:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't think it's the A/C.  In the summer, it gets hot & humid in Ohio.  We have Amish in our county (Logan) and the Amish will be riding their bicycles on our hilly roads and they don't sweat - at least they don't sweat like I do.

Sweat glands are way too modern and satanic, yo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The south is the place to know about free labor. Old times there are not forgotten.

Ouch
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#37]
The Mennonites held the Amish hoards at the Virginia line. I think they signed a non-aggression pact or something.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I don't think it's the A/C.  In the summer, it gets hot & humid in Ohio.  We have Amish in our county (Logan) and the Amish will be riding their bicycles on our hilly roads and they don't sweat - at least they don't sweat like I do.

In Pennsylvania and Ohio it may or may not get hot & humid in the summer.

In the South, particularly along the Gulf Coast region, it will get hot & humid in the spring, summer, and fall.

The comments about air conditioning are correct.  The South started growing massively in population in the 70's and afterwords.  That's when the great migrations started and the Real Estate agents started calling it the Sun Belt.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This could go for the dumbest post of the year award. My father in law still has no A/C and I can name off family after family who don't have it. They aren't Amish either just simple country folk. They also have the money to put A/C in there house 1000 times over. A/C is a convenience but everyone doesn't have it and it can be done with out. A/C had nothing to do with the population.

Over 750 people died during the 1995 Chicago heat wave.  Heat kills more people than Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and lightening combined.

A/C definitely contributed to the enormous growth of the South.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#40]
So are we talking Amish or "Amish"?
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Do you havde any idea as to how long it takes to get to Mississippi in a horse and buggy?
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#42]
People in the south live in "trailer homes" and manufactured housing is incompatible with the Amish faith.  Also, alcoholism, chain smoking and dating your sister are encouraged below the Mason-Dixon, and those are no-go practices for the Amish.  The Amish raise horses, goats and sheep, and southerners usually raise pit bull dogs and fighting chickens.  The Amish like to work hard all through their lives, and southern folk have a different practice.  The Amish eat whole grains and vegetables, and the primary staples for Southrons are Moon Pies and RC Cola.

It just wasn't going to work out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come again?

Modern AC was not invented until 1902 in NY state and that was only for commercial uses..

There has been a tremendous increase in population in the South since residential AC became widespread, and it is generally attributable to that fact.

ETA: Almost nobody had AC when I was growing up. We eventually had 2 rooms in a 14 room house with AC: 1 for my grandparents and 1 for my asthmatic brother. The local laundromat had and heavily advertised a 15' X 15' AC room where you could sit while your clothes went through the machines. Theaters, department stores, and restaurants had huge signs with "AIR CONDITIONED" in blue letters with icicles painted on them, and it was a big attraction. I was married before I lived in a place with central AC, and in the late 70s I was installing window units in houses that had never had any AC before that.

Is this your conjecture on your personal experience or do you have some facts to back that up.. If you have numbers showing a dramatic increase in population in the south over other regional trends i would love to see it.  I just dont think one really matters to the other.

The growth started in the 1970's.  There were books written about in by the late 70's.  Commonly featured in National Geographic.

Just look at the number of electoral vote gains in the Sunbelt states.  Sunbelt includes hot western states as well as hot & humid southern states.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Which is why all the German and Japanese auto companies built factories in the South?

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Ive seen Amish in Belize. I was on some riverboat tour of the ancient Mayan ruins and we were deep into the jungle. Out of nowhere there was a cleared field and pasty white Amish folk working it with hand tools
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
People in the south live in "trailer homes" and manufactured housing is incompatible with the Amish faith.  Also, alcoholism, chain smoking and dating your sister are encouraged below the Mason-Dixon, and those are no-go practices for the Amish.  The Amish raise horses, goats and sheep, and southerners usually raise pit bull dogs and fighting chickens.  The Amish like to work hard all through their lives, and southern folk have a different practice.  The Amish eat whole grains and vegetables, and the primary staples for Southrons are Moon Pies and RC Cola.

THIS!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So are we talking Amish or "Amish"?

Well the majority of blacks are highly concentrated in the South so I doubt it's one of your amishes.

KY has a large population of Amish, I'd see them on the backroads a lot going to various fishing holes. The only modern thing you'd see on their buggies is the mandated orange triangle sign and funny enough brake lights. They'd use a traditional latern for light.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

very few people do without it anymore. I know of nobody personally or where I work that does not have AC. Whenever I am in a conversation involving AC and I tell folks I didn't have it they simply do not believe me.

Where I can work I can name off 10+ people that do not have it and do not want it. I am in North Georgia so the summers aren't as brutal as they are in South Georgia but it is still very hot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know the North had slaves too. Your pride and glory Ulysses S. Grant was a slave owner. So that statement was just blown all to hell in 2 sentences. I bet you would argue that the Civil War was fought over slavery too wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

trollololololol

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top