Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2011 8:03:46 PM EDT
I have a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee 6 cylinder. It's been leaking fluid for over a year but I was only having to add to the reservoir every few months. Now I'm having to add to it every couple of weeks. I think it is the water pump but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
More than $87 ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear they have these places you can go to find this type of stuff out...
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
my advice, is: get your junk fixed before you have to buy a motor.  that's expensive, and no one's gonna buy any vehicle that don't run unless it's for $.10/dollar.  

do what you want.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have the tools and the space. pumps typically cost less than a 100 dollars and it shouldnt take more than an afternoon. But ive never worked on a jeep straight 6, only a 50 year old Chevy 215 I6. If you take it to a shop, I would guess 250-300.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
$400 in my area at the shop.. I do 99% of my wrench turning so it would only be the pump, gasket and coolant..For a 2000 I would probably do a flush and change the belt and both hoses..
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have the tools and the space. pumps typically cost less than a 100 dollars and it shouldnt take more than an afternoon. But ive never worked on a jeep straight 6, only a 50 year old Chevy 215 I6. If you take it to a shop, I would guess 250-300.

It probably will.

Shrouded mechanical fan + not a lot of space = taking a bunch of stuff off before you ever get to the WP.

It can be done with a minimum of tools, but plan on the day if you're working alone.

<== 2000 WJ 4.0, and the only major work I've had to do to the motor in 215k miles is change that water pump.

ETA:Yeahboxes, some 00-01 Grands had issues with cracked heads.  It might be worth having a mechanic check your vehicle out before you go changing parts out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
however much a pump and gasket cost and a case of beer... this is not hard to do.  If you have 0 experience give said beer to friend who does..
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to have it done at work last year and it was $300 at a little garage. (On a Chevy 3500 with 454)

I did one own my own truck last year for $37. (Not including the hoses I went ahead and replaced as long as I was in there)
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife who isn't particularly mechanically inclined did it on her Wrangler with only a little help from me. The wrangler uses the same I6.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/radiator-and-waterpump-r-and-r-36140.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Isolate the location of the leak before you start tearing up stuff.

Also how does your oil look?  Also how many miles on this beast.  Might want to preemptively change it regardless of if it is the source of your leak or not.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did one own my own truck last year for $37. (Not including the hoses I went ahead and replaced as long as I was in there)

Yeh, that's an important aspect of the whole deal: Since you've already gone to the trouble of pulling all the pieces that block access to the water pump, why not replace all the other failure-prone items in the neighborhood, while you're at it? Things like:

1. The thermostat.
2. The fan and accessory belts.
3. Radiator and heater hoses.

On a high-mileage vehicle, it might even be worthwhile to replace the radiator, fan clutch and belt tensioners.

If just one afternoon of work and a couple hundred bucks in parts could eliminate 60-80 percent of the most likely failure points in your vehicle, wouldn't it be time and money well-spent?
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Check the condition of your oil carefully. If you have the 0331 cylinder head, there's a chance that the head is cracked and you are losing coolant into the crankcase. You can sometimes see the crack by looking in the oil fill cap.

Hopefully, it's just the water pump seeping. If so, it's not a difficult job. A moderately skilled hobbiest mechanic should be able to change the pump in a few hours. I'd suggest changing the thermostat at the same time. Make sure to give the hoses a good looking at.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#15]
are you sure its leaking from the pump?  make sure you locate the leak before you go tearing shit up and spending money on parts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Isolate the location of the leak before you start tearing up stuff.

Also how does your oil look?  Also how many miles on this beast.  Might want to preemptively change it regardless of if it is the source of your leak or not.  

Oil looks good. It has 157,000 miles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Go to autozone and buy a water pump. It will probably cost about $100. Get a tube of silicone sealant too.

Now replace it with the bad pump. If you need help there is a step by step guide somewhere on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I think I need a new water pump too.  I noticed some corrosion around the pump, and had to add more water than usual last week.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:12:15 AM EDT
[#19]
If you are asking this question, then I would recommend taking it to a reputable repair shop.  You need to establish a relationship with the repair shop.  It will save you money and aggravation in the long run.  They know which part brands hold up and which ones do not as they have to warranty the work.  If you don't have the skills to work on the car then it is best to pay someone to do the work.

You are looking for a Mom & Pop shop that have been in business a long time.  Check out you church bulletin as these sort of shops often advertise in them; talk to other folks you know who pay to have their cars repaired.

I can do the work myself, but I can also make a hell of a lot more in the same time period doing something else.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#20]
water pumps are typically very easy to change if you have a socket set and a minor amount of mechanical ability.

ETA: just re-read your post, can you tell where it is leaking from???? If not, and you are only needing to add every couple of months there is this thing call evaporation that wrecks havoc in liquids (sorry for the tone, LOL). I have to add alittle to the overflow every couple of months in my ram and there is no leak, it is simple evaporation.

How much antifreeze are you having to add at a time?

J-
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeh, that's an important aspect of the whole deal: Since you've already gone to the trouble of pulling all the pieces that block access to the water pump, why not replace all the other failure-prone items in the neighborhood, while you're at it? Things like:

1. The thermostat.

On a high-mileage vehicle, it might even be worthwhile to replace the radiator, fan clutch and belt tensioners.

If just one afternoon of work and a couple hundred bucks in parts could eliminate 60-80 percent of the most likely failure points in your vehicle, wouldn't it be time and money well-spent?

Yeah, replace the thermostat.

When I did my water pump I chose not to do the thermostat because I was fucking lazy, even though I knew I probably should. Six months it stuck and the truck overheated and left me stranded.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Worth repeating:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It probably will.

Shrouded mechanical fan + not a lot of space = taking a bunch of stuff off before you ever get to the WP.

It can be done with a minimum of tools, but plan on the day if you're working alone.

<== 2000 WJ 4.0, and the only major work I've had to do to the motor in 215k miles is change that water pump.

ETA:Yeahboxes, some 00-01 Grands had issues with cracked heads.  It might be worth having a mechanic check your vehicle out before you go changing parts out.

I'll see if I can't upload some photos, but this isn't like doing a V8 in a pickup.  Their really is not a whole lot of room to work at the front of the 4.0 in a 99-04 WJ.  The radiator shroud has to come off, and it won't come easy (no room, have to get at retaining bolts from the side/underneath).  The fan & clutch will be a bitch to pull after 150k+ miles.  Once that's out of the way, the WP and Tstat aren't bad, but after it's done, you gotta put all the toothpaste back in the tube.

ETA:

As a guy who gets a paycheck for wrenching on trucks, owns a 00 WJ with a 4.0, and has changed the WP, fan clutch, and Tstat: Plan on a full day to get it done...

...IF that's the actual issue.  If your not sure, take it to someone who can diagnose.  Simple boil off of coolant over time is not an automatic indicator that the WP is bad.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Simple I did it on my Mom's Jeep to save her the mechanics fees.I also replaced the thermostat and radiator because they were also shot for a total of around 275.00.I'm a mechanic though.Listen its not that bad its a half water pump.Remove the serpentine belt then the fan or vica versa to keep the pulley from spinning.After you remove hoses from the pump.Remove the hardware holding the pump and clean the half surface.Its a paper gasket so don't put any other gook,silicone or gasket maker just spray adhesive to hold the gasket,if its the oring type put some light grease or vasaline to keep it in place then install the pump and torque the hardware to specs to make sure it goes on evenly and you don't end up breaking bolts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

water pumps are typically very easy to change if you have a socket set and a minor amount of mechanical ability.

ETA: just re-read your post, can you tell where it is leaking from???? If not, and you are only needing to add every couple of months there is this thing call evaporation that wrecks havoc in liquids (sorry for the tone, LOL). I have to add alittle to the overflow every couple of months in my ram and there is no leak, it is simple evaporation.

J-

I just changed the water pump in our 2003 Dodge Ram delivery van last week. It was a royal pain in the ass, and that whole van is a pile of horseshit. I wish a slow, tortuous death upon the entire engineering staff that designed that festering pile of ape anus. A bigger piece of unadulterated Taco Bell induced diarrhea on four wheels has never existed. That van is the pinnacle of AIDS infested engineering; thee preeminent example of a woefully inept, unsatisfactory and utterly insufficient education. That manufacturing "marvel" lacks even one minuscule redeeming quality.

But anyway, changing a water pump isn't the end of the world if you have even an inkling of mechanical ability.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#25]
dunno if its been mentioned yet. i started using a mechanic i found on craigslist. lotta small shops having hard times right now. DEEP discounts for professional work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

J-

I just changed the water pump in our 2003 Dodge Ram delivery van last week. It was a royal pain in the ass, and that whole van is a pile of horseshit. I wish a slow, tortuous death upon the entire engineering staff that designed that festering pile of ape anus. A bigger piece of unadulterated Taco Bell induced diarrhea on four wheels has never existed. That van is the pinnacle of AIDS infested engineering; thee preeminent example of a woefully inept, unsatisfactory and utterly insufficient education. That manufacturing "marvel" lacks even one minuscule redeeming quality.

But anyway, changing a water pump isn't the end of the world if you have even an inkling of mechanical ability.

should have mentioned that my ram is an 01 with a cummins diesel. changed the water pump on the side of the highway in about 10 minutes once. take the belt off the pulley, remove two bolts, remove the pump and gasket material, rtv and install pump, two bolts and belt, refill cooling system.
Must be different on your van.

J-
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J-

should have mentioned that my ram is an 01 with a cummins diesel. changed the water pump on the side of the highway in about 10 minutes once. take the belt off the pulley, remove two bolts, remove the pump and gasket material, rtv and install pump, two bolts and belt, refill cooling system.

J-

This.

When 3/4ths of the engine is only accessible by taking apart the driver's compartment, you've got to know that working on it is going to suck.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

J-

J-

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2001-dodge-ram-van_100028682_m.jpg

This.

When 3/4ths of the engine is only accessible by taking apart the driver's compartment, you've got to know that working on it is going to suck.

Gotcha, I can pretty much stand in my engine bay and the WP is right on the front of the engine about a 2 foot reach down. Different beasts it sounds like.

J-

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#29]
If your gonna do it might wanna go ahead and replace the timing belt/chain while it is opened up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If your gonna do it might wanna go ahead and replace the timing belt/chain while it is opened up.

He's wise. If you have the extra money, it beats doing it all over again (, and probably in the middle of winter) when the timing belt fails.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Timing-Kit-component-Timing-Set/_/N-8znax?itemIdentifier=964096&_requestid=2483785

Timing Kit/component/Timing Set

For your 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 4.0L MFI 6cyl

Price:

$127.99

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Dude seriously do it your self. Super easy and a great excuse to drink beer and mech on your rig
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#32]
As noted, the actual replacement is usually pretty simple.

Getting to the damn thing is the problem.

Use Permatex on the gaskets, and make sure the sealing surfaces are clean or the seal can be very iffy.

Single edge razor blades are your friend it getting the surfaces clean.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#33]
When water pumps go, its usually a large catastrophic leak that you would notice.
I would look more into blown head gasket, leaky radiator, or leaking water pump gasket.

My personal opinion, is that it should cost should be around the price of parts, busted knuckles, and a sixer of beer.  But I am a cheap bastard who refuses to pay others to work on my vehicles.  Unless its something that the cost of tools would be way more than the price of the vehicle.  

I wouldnt be able to give you an accurate price for a mechanic.  I havent used one in 13 years.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The thermostat.

My first mustang started out like that.  I pulled one of the front drum brakes to inspect the shoes.  I accidentally broke the shoe while putting the drum back on.  
After I was done fixing it.  I had added disk brakes, undercoated the car, replaced the trans valve body, intake, carb, shifter, carpet, etc.  All because I had to take parts off to get to what I was working on.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As noted, the actual replacement is usually pretty simple.

Getting to the damn thing is the problem.

Use Permatex on the gaskets, and make sure the sealing surfaces are clean or the seal can be very iffy.

Single edge razor blades are your friend it getting the surfaces clean.

That's the truth!
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

When water pumps go, its usually a large catastrophic leak that you would notice.

I would look more into blown head gasket, leaky radiator, or leaking water pump gasket.

My personal opinion, is that it should cost should be around the price of parts, busted knuckles, and a sixer of beer. But I am a cheap bastard who refuses to pay others to work on my vehicles. Unless its something that the cost of tools would be way more than the price of the vehicle.

I wouldnt be able to give you an accurate price for a mechanic. I havent used one in 13 years.

...and even more likely, is that you would have experienced a seizure (the belt broke or burnt off, and the fan still won't turn at all) or the impeller isn't spinning, when the fan shaft that runs through the middle of it is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top