Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2011 9:52:28 PM EDT
So I wanted to get one of these for my 700 SPS Tactical, and I have a couple of questions.

First, understand that my dealer is often full of it.  That said, he and a couple other guys in the shop said that these stocks are "eh...pretty ok...for a CHEAP stock.  I wouldn't get one".  I've never heard anything  but AWESOME reviews of these stocks.  What do you guys think?

Second...find one in stock!  Remington 700 BDL right hand, short action.  Olive w/ black web.

Thanks in advance, guys.  If you find one in stock for around $400, you win 100 interwebz.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Image for reference.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have that version, but mine is similar.  It is ok, and seemed to help a little on my rifle.  It was much nicer then the hogue that came with the rifle.  More felt recoil however.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't have that version, but mine is similar.  It is ok, and seemed to help a little on my rifle.  It was much nicer then the hogue that came with the rifle.  More felt recoil however.

Aluminum bedding and a more rigid stock is an upgrade over the hogue. Most likely the hogue stock was flexing which causes a little less felt recoil but also negatively impacts accuracy.

I have the B&C Medalist w/ vertical grip on my Savage 10FP and it is a huge upgrade over the cheapo plastic stock from Savage, even after some lead was put in it.
I have no experience with highend stocks, I am more of a price/performance guy, and these fit the bill nicely. I'm sure you can spend more money and get something even nicer but how much more will you have to spend?

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I went ahead and ordered the one I have pictured, along with the detachable mag kit.  Pretty expensive, but I think I'll love it.  It wasn't grouping too great, even with expensive match ammo, but it was grouping, so I know it wasn't the scope.  I took the Hogue stock off, and noticed that it touches the barrel at the end, so I can't imagine expecting any accuracy from that.  Can't wait to see what it'll do with the new stuff.  Will post pictures when I get everything together.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, I went ahead and ordered the one I have pictured, along with the detachable mag kit.  Pretty expensive, but I think I'll love it.  It wasn't grouping too great, even with expensive match ammo, but it was grouping, so I know it wasn't the scope.  I took the Hogue stock off, and noticed that it touches the barrel at the end, so I can't imagine expecting any accuracy from that.  Can't wait to see what it'll do with the new stuff.  Will post pictures when I get everything together.

I have been wanting to put one on my 700 , where did you find one in stock ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The new Remingtons hunting(3 700's) rifles I've bought, all had whats called "pressure bedded" stocks.    It means that the tip of the stock puts pressure on the barrel.   I've been told by some that this is a way of increasing accuracy––-at least that is why Remington does it.     I don't know if that's true or not, but I've always free flloated the barrels and found them all to be very accurate that way.    Not sure if it's more accurate than the way Remington sends them out from the factory.  

Maybe someone else can expand on that.

BTW: Nice looking stock.  it's what I want also.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a sight that has both long and short action versions in stock....

IM if you want it.

Thanks!
TC
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one.

Very heavy.  Not for dragging through the woods.

Solid as a rock though, and adjustable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

This place usually has them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new Remingtons hunting(3 700's) rifles I've bought, all had whats called "pressure bedded" stocks.    It means that the tip of the stock puts pressure on the barrel.   I've been told by some that this is a way of increasing accuracy––-at least that is why Remington does it.     I don't know if that's true or not, but I've always free flloated the barrels and found them all to be very accurate that way.    Not sure if it's more accurate than the way Remington sends them out from the factory.  

Pressure bedding is designed to improve first shot accuracy from a cold barrel.F
One often sees vertical stringing of groups as more rounds are fired and the barrrel heats up

Free floating largely avoids this
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stocky's has a few more in stock.  Hell of a price, too.

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pressure bedding is designed to improve first shot accuracy from a cold barrel.F

One often sees vertical stringing of groups as more rounds are fired and the barrrel heats up

Free floating largely avoids this

I'll be damned.  That's EXACTLY what it's doing.  Usually I can get the first and second shot to touch. After that, it's wherever the hell.

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought that exact model from stockysstocks.com, I love it based off the first impression, but I haven't had a read chance to fire it to give you a legit assessment.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is mine I just got. I have no complaints at all.

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I had one of the non adjustable vertical grips on a Howa and loved it, found out though, that my bad shoulder doesn't deal well with the recoil of a 20" 308, and my eyes prevent left handed use.

Now I have an AR
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is mine I just got. I have no complaints at all.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/scrichboy/914cc541.jpg

Sexy!!!

But seems to be missing something on the end.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Stocky's was where I got mine too . You have to watch their site to see what becomes available. Great folks to deal with .

700 , Shilen Select match , JP brake ....in 300 RUM. My favorite stick .

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Just ordered the M40 style for my .338 win mag.     I would have liked the medalist A-5, but I don't want to lug the extra 2.3 pounds around when I'm hunting with it.     It's heavy enough already.    This site is terrible on my credit card.
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#21]
i have the A2...which is the same thing minus the adjustments, i did very well in my sniper class with that...just because it isnt some 1000$ custom build doesnt mean you cant
shoot lights out with it...its very sturdy and takes away alot of recoil...
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Stuff came today.  Got the stock, the detachable magazine kit (10 round), and a sun shade for my Mk4.

No decent camera, but oh well.  Oh, and even with the ammo it doesn't like, I can keep it in a 2" group, which for my shaky ass, is quite good.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be going with the m40 style when one is available and I have the funds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks good, bloody hell that looks like a big magazine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Looks good, bloody hell that looks like a big magazine.

It's ten rounds, but it's very thin.  Not quite single stack, but only very slightly staggered.

Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#26]
sonnnnnn id like to see the group after a quick manipulation of that bolt after 10 rounds....

"raptor down"
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
On a related note, anyone know someplace that does a nice quick job of threading a bolt handle?  It kinda upsets me that I have a nice teardrop knob and I can't use it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll be going with the m40 style when one is available and I have the funds.

I ordered the m40 in tan with black webbing.......not in stock.     It shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow.

Good looking rifle Ron.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
On a related note, anyone know someplace that does a nice quick job of threading a bolt handle?  It kinda upsets me that I have a nice teardrop knob and I can't use it.

Short Action Customs

ETA:  Don't know what their turnaround time is, but they are in Ohio.  Not too far from you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I got out to give it a real test (granted, still at 100yds), and used Federal 168gr GMM, and Hornady 168gr AMax.  The GMM was very good; the AMax was simply outstanding.

Now, you have to remember...as I said, I shake a lot, and can't get the .25" groups most people can.  I know the gun can do it....I can't.

Here's the groups I got:

Federal Gold Medal Match- This was the small silhouette at the top left of a B27 target.

Hornady A-Max- I was shooting two three round groups, but on the second group, I only had one round left, and wanted to shoot at the steel clanger that was further out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top