Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Carry and wear seat belt.  Also, when I was a LEO, I wore my seat belt all the time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love the way your mind works.

Fucking briliant.

You should be a filmmaker.

I mean this in all sincerity.

I'm going to monitor this thread to see how long it takes for the feeders to pick up on this.

I did this with fire extinguishers in the kitchen a few years back.  Quite enlightening.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Seatbelt wearer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I wear a seatbelt and carry as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking briliant.

I'm going to monitor this thread to see how long it takes for the feeders to pick up on this.

I did this with fire extinguishers in the kitchen a few years back.  Quite enlightening.

OK, please enlighten the rest of us if we're missing something important.  I have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Yes carry and no seatbelt. In the very very rare situation that I ride in a vehicle with seat belts I do not put them on unless the driver reminds me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Do carry a gun and Do use my seatbelt.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I do carry and I do wear a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry everyday, and I wear my seatbelt. I'm glad I wear it all the time, because just last October I flipped my work truck. Long story short, truck went sideways at 55mph hit a mail box, highway sign, and a guidewire, flipped, hit a telephone pole, rolled a couple more times in the road, and finally came to a rest on the driver side of the truck. I had my Glock 19 in a BladeTech IWB rig and it didn't hurt me or the gun in the accident. I wonder if I had been wearing my 1911 if I would have some broken ribs Since even with the seatbelt, I got thrown around quite a bit. I have not doubt that I would have been a lot worse off had I not been wearing it.
Pic I have used a lot here but it is revelant:

I will always wear my seatbelt. And I will always suggest all others do so, unless some medical reason wouldn't let you... I am NOT a supporter of any law that makes you wear a seatbelt though. I find no real problem with seatbelts and ccw or open carry. Back when I had my Kia, I noticed the seatbelt reciever itself had most the paint worn off from my 1911 when I would carry OWB but that would have happened with or withoug wearing the actual seatbelt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I go strapped on both counts..
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Seatbelts are not optional for me.  I won't put the car into gear unless everyone else is buckled in.  (The first time I did that to my boss –– a good ol' boy who apparently never buckled up –– the look I got was a classic WTF moment, but that's the deal in my vehicles.)

If I'm going to sit in the car when it's off, I take off the seatbelt.  It's more comfortable that way anyway, and I can get to my pistol if some parking-lot crackhead locks on.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
btt

I doubt the results of the poll are going to change much as new people cast their votes.  Can you share with us the insight you seek or revelation you want to make now?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#16]
While at work yes.

Carry a 226 on a safariland drop leg. It sucks, even with the company ISM says we are exempt if armed to wear seat belts.

It's not the gun that makes it uncomfortable it's the vest with all the other gear.

When I do leave Marylandystan I carry G19 with Mtac and I also wear my seatbelt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes^2.   If I don't buckle up in the Toyota, the red light on the dash will keep blinking and annoy me.  If I don't buckle up in the Chevy, the seat belt light will go out after about 30 seconds.  It's an interesting coincidence that the vehicle that eventually leaves you alone if you don't decide to buckle-up is (or was) american.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
No carry in IL

Seat belt: sometimes. Depends on the vehicle, length of the trip, probability that Ill see a cop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I always wear my seat belt.

I only sometimes carry a gun, depending on where I'm going.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I am wearing a seat belt, carring a G23 (IWB DeSantis holster), and posting on the internet right now...

And before anyone flips out, I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting on the school bus...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes to both.

ETA:  EDC is a Colt New Agent 9mm.  Just goes up from there depending on cover garments.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#23]
yes and yes
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do carry @3:30 IWB
Do wear a seat belt

same here. even though I'm and hour later on EST
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#28]

DO carry a gun and DO use my seatbelt

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]
IWB carry at 3:00 with Colt Series 70 Gov't + seat belt. In winter I usually carry it in a shoulder rig under my jacket.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
btt

I doubt the results of the poll are going to change much as new people cast their votes.  Can you share with us the insight you seek or revelation you want to make now?

Interested as well.  Was there going to be a lecture to people who protect themselves in one situation but not the other?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting note:

(do carry, do wear btw)

4 out of 5 dentists agree that I would have been either killed or more severely injured had I been wearing a seatbelt in an accident I experienced as a passenger.  The larger male sitting behind me impacted the seat I was in and sheared the mounting bolts clean off.  As it was I ended up going about half way through the windshield, but thanks to the marvels of safety glass, it only shattered and ground on my forehead a little before I returned to my somewhat altered seating position.  Lacerations were too jagged to stitch so I had it sanded later to an even finish.  Had I been wearing the shoulder belt, it would have caught me at the neck while 250 lbs of my friend and the seat demonstrated Newton's first law.  At the worst, broken neck; at the least, crushed larynx.

I am fanatic about wearing the belt though.  I will not drive if everyone is not buckled.  I will not ride if a belt is not available.  

CSB-CN

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interesting note:
(do carry, do wear btw)

4 out of 5 dentists agree that I would have been either killed or more severely injured had I been wearing a seatbelt in an accident I experienced as a passenger.  The larger male sitting behind me impacted the seat I was in and sheared the mounting bolts clean off.  As it was I ended up going about half way through the windshield, but thanks to the marvels of safety glass, it only shattered and ground on my forehead a little before I returned to my somewhat altered seating position.  Lacerations were too jagged to stitch so I had it sanded later to an even finish.  Had I been wearing the shoulder belt, it would have caught me at the neck while 250 lbs of my friend and the seat demonstrated Newton's first law.  At the worst, broken neck; at the least, crushed larynx.

I am fanatic about wearing the belt though.  I will not drive if everyone is not buckled.  I will not ride if a belt is not available.  

CSB-CN  

To me this is a cautionary tale about telling your backseaters to buckle the fuck up as well.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Both. I carry a Glock 19 with a TLR-3 attatched OWB just forward of the hip, conceals well enough but is easy to get to seated and comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#36]
yep on both.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Do and do

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking briliant.

Do you remember the results?

Not the numbers (not even sure of we could - or I knew how to -post polls then.  I remember a lot of defensiveness, like you are getting from some, and a surprising and refreshing number of people who had fire extinguishers.  The defensiveness was interesting.  Of course, I recognize that the thread topic tends to self select those with them, or who want to chastise me for moralizing or preaching (it was not as much about carrying guns, as just who has fire extinguishers in their home and where, brought on by one of many a story from my dad - currently a pseudo-volunteer firefighter - guns are MUCH more common than fire extinguishers in his neck of the woods).
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
btt

Interested as well.  Was there going to be a lecture to people who protect themselves in one situation but not the other?

I am curious about the behavior of people, and the actions they take, in terms of preparation for low-probability events.

That vague topic can obviously cover a lot, and so the specific thing I am curious about her is the comparison between two things that are fairly clear.  It is much more likely that (in general) someone on ar15.com is going to be in a car accident that might kill them, as opposed to needing a firearm to protect themselves in a life-or-death situation.

As such, I was curious about what proportion of people chose to be prepared for the highly unlikely scenario that requires a gun to save their life, but choose to NOT be prepared for the much more likely scenario that requires a seatbelt to save their life.

I find it interesting, because the decision to carry a gun requires (usually) quite a bit of thought - often licensing, buying holsters, etc - which suggests that being prepared for low-probability events is particularly salient to those individuals.  And so it is particularly strange to see a proportion of them basically ignore the much more likely low-probability event of a car crash that might kill them.

Studying some of the details about how people think about (and act) in terms of being prepared to deal with low-probability events is something that I may actually start to study as part of my research.  Right now, I am getting bored and unintersted in my current research (that I've been doing for the last 15+ years), so this might be something new that I can get excited about.

OK, seems clear and obvious enough.  I thought there might be something earthshattering that I could have overlooked.
Being that there are a good number of preparedness-minded individuals on this site, I would expect a high percentage wear their seatbelt, have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen, and have a couple of week's worth (or much more) of food storage.

What could be an informative twist on this would be to go to other sites with differing demographics (political, ethnic, etc) and see correlations.  Then compare and contrast the results with what we see here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting note:
(do carry, do wear btw)

CSB-CN  

To me this is a cautionary tale about telling your backseaters to buckle the fuck up as well.  

Or get littler friends.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#42]
G19 in a Supertuck and a seatbelt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Do carry, do wear seatbelt.

1.  Enter vehicle, shut door.

2.  Remove handgun from holster, place under right thigh.

3.  Apply seatbelt.

4.  At destination, remove seatbelt, replace firearm in holster.

5.  Smooth eyebrows in mirrors, wink at wife.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I was involved in a high speed accident & my vehicle was rearended.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking briliant.

Do you remember the results?

Not the numbers (not even sure of we could - or I knew how to -post polls then.  I remember a lot of defensiveness, like you are getting from some, and a surprising and refreshing number of people who had fire extinguishers.  The defensiveness was interesting.  Of course, I recognize that the thread topic tends to self select those with them, or who want to chastise me for moralizing or preaching (it was not as much about carrying guns, as just who has fire extinguishers in their home and where, brought on by one of many a story from my dad - currently a pseudo-volunteer firefighter - guns are MUCH more common than fire extinguishers in his neck of the woods).

The more we are talking about this thread, the more I think I am starting to remember it.  At the time, I probably thought "Hey, that's that same kind of idea I've been wondering about for a while"

The whole idea of why we prepare for SOME low-probability events, but compeltely ignore others, is very interesting, I think.

A recent example in my life:  finding myself unprepared with alternate heating options when our house lost power or when our furnace broke.  I can feed my family for a few months if the grocery stores were empty, but I was unprepared to keep my home warm in the more likely event of a power outage.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I always carry a G17 and sometimes an LCP and I always wear my seat belt. Most of the time I put the G17 in the center console
for a more comfortable ride.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I never wear a seat belt because my brother's sister in law's chiropractor's dog groomer was thrown free from a wreck that otherwise would have killed her
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Ain't nothing romantic about wearing a seatbelt.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top