Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2011 9:58:47 PM EDT
There was a thread a day or 3 ago about a man being assaulted In a dc metro station by 2 fairly young (maybe 13 y.o.) assailants. I was pondering that since a ccw and apparantly many types of pepperspray are verboaten s cane or walking stick could be a useful improvised weapon.  Is there much school of thought with this and any company that make "self defense canes"?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
don't know about purpose built self defense canes
I believe Rex Applegate wrote a little about defensive cane use

and the place I worked used to rent a bunch of diffrent gun/hunting /self defense videos

we had this one but i never watched it

Martial Cane Concepts

and found this while googling up a link to that DVD

http://americancaneselfdefense.com/

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
They work great, like any stick or club.
The problem is trying to look nonchalant carrying one if you're not obviously old or disabled.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I would move to a free state before I would carry around a cane for SD.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In the real old days it was fashionable to carry a cane, but today, I am not sure what law you are violating.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the real old days it was fashionable to carry a cane, but today, I am not sure what law you are violating.

Just drag your leg in public  Mine ache enough to walk with one
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to know how the disarmed, poor and oppressed defend themselves, look no further than the Irish.

O'Doyle Rules!  Doyle family stick fighting

A website with more information:

John Whurley's site

You could look at more modern/battle tested things like Escrima, but the relatively undocumented, unstandardized Irish stuff is the closest thing I know that uses what could be considered a walking stick.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just drag your leg in public  Mine ache enough to walk with one

Here is utlitmate survival/walking stick:
SURVIVAL STAFF by Crawford Handmade Knives, LLC. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
He wore a cane & derby hat...
They called him Bat... Bat Masterson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBn9Um4Ze7Y&list=SL
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I know of one Dojo that spent a lot of time developing cane use for people that may actually need one to walk.   Perhaps they know of someone closer to you that can teach the use.

Most of it was developed from hakkoryu Jujutsu.    Zanshin Goshin Dojo in Sierra Madre, CA  626-351-8981

http://www.aikidojournal.com/dojodetails?id=1529

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a heavy duty extra long adjustment I dropped 4 bills for.
IT is perfect in the handle for sweeping hooks, it is an extra large arch.

Nothing is more pitiful than seeing a large man with a pansy ass puss cane bowing out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are racked up so bad that you need a cane, there's no way that you can defend yourself with one. Not against a determined attacker. Using a cane as a fashion accessory is another matter. Are swords concealed in canes still on the market?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]

I can speak on this a bit as I've
walked with canes for more than a few years now. If you have a
background with martial arts particularly stick fighting, staff
fighting,  or fighting with a bo its second nature.

Despite that a walking stick or cane
much like most items nearby can be fashioned into a quickly deployed
weapon for self defense.

For canes go with a knob top handle,
avoid the metal canes as with a fair amount of force you can bend
them, this speaks to the amount of money you will spend on the cane
and not the bearing weight of the cane. Stronger metals = stronger
canes. Cheap canes you buy at CVS for $29.99 = poking tool.

Generally if I am unsure of the
environment I am going into I'll take a wooden knob cane similar to
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/80701.html
it will allow me to parry, block, strike, jab and offset most
attackers within a 6” - 5' range.

The Irish stick fighting video linked
above is a good starter for how you would defend with a cane.  

Things to note are that:

1. You will stand out with a cane if
    you don't have gray hair or a bad limp.

2. Your manner of gripping and
    walking with the cane will give you away in a moment if you are
    planning on using it as a weapon rather than as a support.

3. Like any weapon it can be turned
    against you or work against you, if someone has a cane or a stick
    against yours expect your fingers to get broken.

4. N.T. had it right, a seamless
    unscratched undropped brand new cane stands out to everyone around
    you. Throw it down a driveway or drop it a few times for that rugged
    needs to be with me look.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Itd be pretty sweet if you found a cop dumb enough to believe you used an asp as a collapsible walking stick
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
a walking stick works good for keeping  dogs away, I had to wack a dog on the head while trying to check my mail box and make sure to never turn your back on an aggressive dog
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I still walk with a slight limp, I have tendon damage in one foot and a bad ankle with a double dose of fucked up knees.
So being sub 40 now and one really bad days I get my cane back form my mother who was using it for years.

I also have an ash wood hiking stick I use in the snow and ice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]
asp

or my favorite  berger
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How far back are we talking?

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#18]
We drilled in how to use a cane in self defense yesterday in my Jiu-Jitsu class –– something we do fairly often.  They can be used very effectively - not as effective as a gun or a knife, but better than nothing and I can't think of any place that bans canes.

Given the state of my 40+ year old knees, I'll probably need a cane soon anyway.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 2:11:17 AM EDT
[#19]
About 15 years ago I saw an old man use a cane for SD in Philly.

My shipmate saw 2 teenagers trying to rob an old guy a distance away. We headed toward him, but by the time we arrived it was all over.

1 of the 2 had taken off the other was cowering in a store front under a rain of blows. The shopowner called the cops and they carted the little thug off. When the 2 of us offered our statements, the cop told us it wasn't the first time "Larry the cane' had defended himself.

The cop said he was a WW2 Pacific Marine with a history of taking care of himself.

Now that I think of it, the old guy is either dead or well into his mid 80s. Wonder how he'd make out now?

Maybe he got smart and is now a CCW. Who knows?

A cane is a viable SD weapon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
a walking stick works good for keeping  dogs away, I had to wack a dog on the head while trying to check my mail box and make sure to never turn your back on an aggressive dog

We have one in our neighborhood that rushes joggers and people walking their dogs. 60-80 pounds and looks something like a hyena. It circled my wife and she used some Fox on it to no affect (she says she hit it, maybe).

Anyway, I have a red oak cane I carved while out on an exercise at Ft. Bragg. I've used it before on mutts with good results. This one won't approach me when I pass its house, with or without my stick.

Jack London addresses dogs and sticks in The Call of the Wild. He called it "the law of the club."

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you are racked up so bad that you need a cane, there's no way that you can defend yourself with one. Not against a determined attacker. Using a cane as a fashion accessory is another matter. Are swords concealed in canes still on the market?

Seriously?  Do you have any idea how many others thought the same thing right up to the point where an old man gave them an ass whipping?
Yes they are.  They are also illegal in a good many places.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
]Seriously?  Do you have any idea how many others thought the same thing right up to the point where an old man gave them an ass whipping?[/span]
[span style='color: blue;']Yes they are.  They are also illegal in a good many places.[/span]

Most people that get cracked up alongside the head a couple of times tend to change their minds about wanting to rob someone.

There are easier pickin's out there.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Canes make a great weapon if you know how to properly use them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:50:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Considered picking up one of the Irish Blackthorn walking sticks from Cold Steel for my dad....yes, he's old - and sometimes walks with a limp.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:54:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Canes make a great weapon if you know how to properly use them.

Nine from the sky tends to knock a bit of sense into a recaltricent young thug.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:58:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Get both.

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know how much they charge for it.  It's made of aluminum and very stout.

http://www.tdiohio.com/cane.html

They also teach a course in using it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#29]
This thread is of interest to me....bad knees run in the family.    

Can you carry a cane (wooden) onto an aircraft (through TSA) or would they hassle someone about it?

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Watch "Blind Fury"
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:59:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?  Do you have any idea how many others thought the same thing right up to the point where an old man gave them an ass whipping?

Not very many.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:05:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can you carry a cane (wooden) onto an aircraft (through TSA) or would they hassle someone about it?

AFARR

You'd probably have to be leaning on it pretty hard to convince em.  In for the ufishul  answer to this one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#34]
This guy...

... thought it worked pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Many years ago I took tae-kwon-do.  As part of this I trained with swords in a weapons class.
One day it occurred to me that the blade did not have to be sharp to be effective.
I reckoned I could get out of a pool hall in fine style.
I believe Cold Steel makes a defensive cane.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can speak on this a bit as I'vewalked with canes for more than a few years now. If you have abackground with martial arts particularly stick fighting, stafffighting,  or fighting with a bo its second nature.

Despite that a walking stick or canemuch like most items nearby can be fashioned into a quickly deployedweapon for self defense.

For canes go with a knob top handle,avoid the metal canes as with a fair amount of force you can bendthem, this speaks to the amount of money you will spend on the caneand not the bearing weight of the cane. Stronger metals = strongercanes. Cheap canes you buy at CVS for $29.99 = poking tool.

Generally if I am unsure of theenvironment I am going into I'll take a wooden knob cane similar tohttp://www.fashionablecanes.com/80701.htmlit will allow me to parry, block, strike, jab and offset mostattackers within a 6” - 5' range.

The Irish stick fighting video linkedabove is a good starter for how you would defend with a cane.  

Things to note are that:
  1. You will stand out with a cane ifyou don't have gray hair or a bad limp.

2. Your manner of gripping andwalking with the cane will give you away in a moment if you areplanning on using it as a weapon rather than as a support.

3. Like any weapon it can be turnedagainst you or work against you, if someone has a cane or a stickagainst yours expect your fingers to get broken.

4. N.T. had it right, a seamlessunscratched undropped brand new cane stands out to everyone aroundyou. Throw it down a driveway or drop it a few times for that ruggedneeds to be with me look.

Poster sounds..................
familiar
N_T  is that you?
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This guy...

... thought it worked pretty well.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I'd love to get one of the Hanwei replicas.

buk
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

AFARR

I would think so, but I imagine a cane would be rough to use for defense on an airplane.  Close quarters with lots of people within arms reach.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#39]
pimp cane thread?
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#41]

wish i could grow a wicked handlebar stash like that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Worked good for old Andy Jackson. Hapkido has some techniques for it too. Canes can be excellent striking tools, blocking tools, and the ones with the curved grip can be used for some wicked joint locks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#43]
The good folks at cold steel make them. I've got a few different cold steel knives, like them all :)

Cold Steel Beat Stick

Cold Steel Sword Canes
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR

I would think so, but I imagine a cane would be rough to use for defense on an airplane.  Close quarters with lots of people within arms reach.

Yes, you can carry it on an airplane. I had some problems with a pinched nerve for a while, used a cane for a bit, mainly to help me get up while sitting, but I had a noticeable limp when it was bad. TSA will x-ray to check for swords, guns, etc., but it's perfectly legal to carry it.

I doubt you could get a good swing on it in an airplane, but I'm sure you could jab the shit out of some fucker with a box cutter and still maintain some stand off. It's better than throwing rocks, and rocks are pretty hard to find on an airplane.

The other plus is once you arrive at your destination, you have your cane, whereas, you may not have your gun or pepper spray.

The other thing about canes: FREE RIDES!  I had to change planes in Atlanta. I hobbled out to the concourse and was checking the signs, when this huge black woman with a golf cart (airport services) offered me a ride to my gate because I was disabled.

I could have walked there myself, but I figured, why aggravate my injury?

I got a free ride!
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I sometimes have to use a cane because of a bad back.  I also use it as a walking stick when hiking.  This is what I bought:

I have enough gray in my hair and beard to make it look not too out of place.  And I guarantee that if you get hit with that knob, you aren't going to enjoy the experience.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#46]
It's a stick.

Weapons don't come much more old-school than that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I went the extra step and got a doctor's order for one.

Just in case...
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Took me forever when starting to use it to get used to it.
It has been seven years without it on a regular basis and find myselftrying to reach for it.

Been 10 without my duty belt and glock and still on way worse days forget it is gone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Shillelagh
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I train in Ka-Li.  This is stick fighting.

I am a blue belt in BJJ and do fairly well on the ground, but there are guys that don't do well in regular grappling that can beat me in a stick fight.  It's pretty weird and you are either good at it or not.

Honestly, I normally end up dropping my stick and grabbing the guy adn finishing on the ground.  

Pipe dreaming, speculating, asking questions on the internet, all find an dandy, but there is no substitute  for REALISTIC training on a REGULAR basis.  If you weight 280 and are on your couch reading this, you need to get up, and join a BJJ or Ka Li club and train.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top