Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2011 9:33:47 AM EDT
a while back i posted about the g/fs 2009 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder check engine light, and the code said something like "advanced engine timing" or something like that,

i used the scanner to clear the check engine light. it came back on a week later. now its off again. i think its time to change the part.

sounds like it has a hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain ? which looks like its only a 27-40 dollar part.

this engine is goofy... has a big plastic cover over the top of the engine. im not even sure there is a combustion engine in this car !

im wondering if anyone has any experience with this, do i need any special tools or can i just replace this one part, and fire it up? is the location of it pretty obvious??

thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
a while back i posted about the g/fs 2009 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder check engine light, and the code said something like "advanced engine timing" or something like that,

i used the scanner to clear the check engine light. it came back on a week later. now its off again. i think its time to change the part.

sounds like it has a hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain ? which looks like its only a 27-40 dollar part.

this engine is goofy... has a big plastic cover over the top of the engine. im not even sure there is a combustion engine in this car !

im wondering if anyone has any experience with this, do i need any special tools or can i just replace this one part, and fire it up? is the location of it pretty obvious??

thanks in advance!

It's not under warranty? Only 2 years old.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
2009 and the timing tensioner is already failing?  Domestic quality .  That should more than likely be covered under the warranty, and if you go in there yourself you're probably going to void it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not listed on TSB as a recall.

Timing chains just don't mess up timing like that. Id' take it to a dealership and have it covered under warranty. Very odd, indeed...
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
1. Clear code

2. Drive to a dealer that sales cars that don't suck balls

3. Trade-in

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1. Clear code
3. Trade-in
4. ??????
5. Profit!

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#6]
How many miles on the car?  Should be under smog warranty if less than 60k ( someone please correct me if I am wrong here )
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The tensioner froze on my Buick and started to abrade the belt but that was at 100k+ on a 97'.

On a 2009? Better be a warranty item.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Clear code

3. Trade-in

4. ??????

5. Profit!

was going to put that, but I figure if it is an 09 its likely to be upside down on the loan, so profit not so much.... get a car that doesn't require parts that are supposed to last a long time (whatever the t-belt service is on that model) and be much happier.

OP,  if you look at the big piece of plastic and have to contemplate for more than 15 seconds on how it comes off, I would advise against getting into the timing system.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
You'd likely need to remove all of the accessories from the front of the engine, including the water pump, to access the timing chain and tensioner.  This should definitely be done under warranty.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How many miles on the car?  Should be under smog warranty if less than 60k ( someone please correct me if I am wrong here )

55,000 miles
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

the car actually has 59,100 miles

im on the phone right now with a service adviser, and and he says the only parts covered under the emissions warranty are the Cat converter and the main computer ( pcm ? )

service adviser gave a brief estimate over the phone of "a thousand or more"  after having to ask me 4 or 5 times what the make / model / year and engine was. this is at a "reputable" dealership. his computer didnt show anything about a timing chain tensioner- but oreilly's sells them...
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
There isn't a warranty on the engine itself?  The car's only two years old... (with 60k, though, wow!)
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the car actually has 59,100 miles

im on the phone right now with a service adviser, and and he says the only parts covered under the emissions warranty are the Cat converter and the main computer ( pcm ? )

service adviser gave a brief estimate over the phone of "a thousand or more"  after having to ask me 4 or 5 times what the make / model / year and engine was. this is at a "reputable" dealership. his computer didnt show anything about a timing chain tensioner- but oreilly's sells them...

I don't think that is right.  I worked at a dealership 20+ years ago so the rules might have changed but as far as I know: Anything that sets a code on the engine control computer was smog related when I worked at the dealer.  There are people here who currently work as dealership techs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#14]
ok, more helpful information, i found my notes from when i scanned the computer––––

"Exhaust camshaft position timing over advanced" bank 1 code P0014
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Many engines have those covers on them these days.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many engines have those covers on them these days.

nah, this plastic cover is way bigger than most

so i called another dealership, and he ran the vin number and says there is a 100,000 mile warranty on the car drive train.

there is a $135 dollar diagnostic fee, and if the problem IS under warranty, they pay the diagnostic fee.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Original reply Deleted - it looks like you found a better dealer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top