Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2010 12:41:17 PM EDT
As the subject asks.  WTF?  I was expecting some gun parts today to start building a new upper.  And, the UPS tracking page shows: "tendered to local post office".  I recall this happening once last year, and it took an extra week to get my stuff!  The UPS website says it's a contractual deal with the USPS, I assume when UPS gets busy, they dump their extra cargo on the local post office, which I find to be BS.  I plan on dropping by the post office on my way home but I have a feeling it will just result in me standing in line for 45 minutes to be told it's either not there or out with the carrier (which means it's not there and I'll get it when I get it...)

Any one else experience this and/or have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As the subject asks.  WTF?  I was expecting some gun parts today to start building a new upper.  And, the UPS tracking page shows: "tendered to local post office".  I recall this happening once last year, and it took an extra week to get my stuff!  The UPS website says it's a contractual deal with the USPS, I assume when UPS gets busy, they dump their extra cargo on the local post office, which I find to be BS.  I plan on dropping by the post office on my way home but I have a feeling it will just result in me standing in line for 45 minutes to be told it's either not there or out with the carrier (which means it's not there and I'll get it when I get it...)

It's called UPS Basic shipping.  If you have any options on your shipping, choose UPS Ground.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had this with UPS, but Fedex does it all the time.  I've never had any problems or had to wait additional time for any packages they've do that with.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me guess, your package shipped "UPS Basic"?

UPS gets the package to your local PO.  They deliver it.  FedEx has a similar service - "SmartPost".  So does DHL.

In my experience, you'll usually get the package the business day after it has been "tendered to local post office".

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty common.  Especially when you check the cheapest shipping option.  Been going on for some time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called UPS Basic shipping.  If you have any options on your shipping, choose UPS Ground.

This. It's often a slightly cheaper option than UPS Ground shipping. UPS picks the package up from whoever you ordered the items from, then passes the package off to USPS for delivery...

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Fedex did it to something I bought a couple weeks ago.  Tracking info said it was in my city for 2 days while I waited on USPS to deliver it.  Funny thing is that Fedex came to my house the day after it tendered it to the USPS.  Could have saved a lot of effort if they just dropped it off then, lol.  But that's not how the system is setup.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a FedEx package rendered to USPS for a little bit, then back to FedEx the state over.  That struck me as odd.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You want it cheap?

You want it fast?

You want it done right?

Pick two.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a huge problem with this...I do not have a mailbox at my fairly rural home. The PO doesn't want me to put one up either, as it is at the end of their Rural Route. So...I have a PO box...When I order something UPS, and give my actual street address, I'm screwed if UPS "tenders" it to the USPS since they won't deliver to me, and doesn't have a record of my physical address! I had one package returned last week due to this nonsense...

ETA. I was only offered "UPS Ground", or USPS shipping as options by the retailer...
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.  It was 'free shipping' I should have known there was a string attached.  Oh well, hopefully it arrives tomorrow.  If not, it's not really a big deal, it's just a receiver and BG&C, can't do much till I get the other parts picked out and ordered.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Just out of curiosity, who would be in trouble if the package contained items that were not legal to ship via USPS?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, who would be in trouble if the package contained items that were not legal to ship via USPS?

Interesting point...
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You have no idea how HUGE or busy UPS gets. My old hub used to have 1+ million packages coming through the system every day during peak season. It didn't matter how many people we hired or how much equipment we had. It was nearly impossible for our huge hub to handle the amount of stuff flowing into the building. Boxes overflowed into the hub like water. Trucks were packed with more boxes than they should have been. People would place boxes where ever they could fit within the hub because we didn't have enough belt space or enough people to sort or load. It's a freaking insane nightmare this time of year.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had packages from DHL, UPS and FEDEX all delivered this way.  Better than the FEDEX driver who can't find my street and just calls me and says he will deliver it a day later after I tell him to google/mapquest the address.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting point...

guess I just need to add one box of ammo with every order

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The part that pissed me off was that the USPS delivered it 'Postage Due".

Bastages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top