Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2010 6:54:48 PM EDT
Mass. prosecutor believes Charlotte teen fell from plane wheel well

So, you sneak into the wheel well of a jetliner. How exactly do you die? How long do you have before you die?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Hypoxia, then anoxia.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You'd probably either suffocate or freeze to death.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
yup, hypoxia, pass out then hypothermia.   Not the way I want to go.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hypoxia, anoxia, free fall, terminal velocity, sudden stop.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
But how long would it take? What would the pain be like? Would you just pass out, or would you have spikes in your ears?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Unless you get crushed when the gear retracts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But how long would it take? What would the pain be like? Would you just pass out, or would you have spikes in your ears?

Dead is dead.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a "Delvonte" is?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Potential mythbusters episode?  Where does the treadmill fit in?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
freeze to death, lack of O2, crushed due to the fact that while the wheel well looks roomy with the gear down there is just barely enough room in that compartment for the gear and nothing else when it is in the up and locked position

take your pick
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If I remember my flying text books well, the temperature drops 3F per thousand feet and once you are above 14k feet you need 100% O2 all the time or you will pass out in thirty minutes (give or take). Once you are over I think it was 18k you pass out in seconds. So it depends on how cold it is at the ground. Warm day (75+) you suffocate first. Cool day (74-) you would freeze to death first.

However I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Most likely from being squeezed like a grape when the hydraulicly actuated landing gear retracts and stows itself.

There ain't alot of 'extra' room in there.

Not to mention you would have like 3 seconds to decide on which way to twist and turn while you play a game of 'twister' in a life or death match.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wanted to know, for the lulz.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
ok, so I've been through Charlotte.

Pretty middle of the road airport.  Not your 3rd tier airport with open, public access hangar's of anything that has random commuter service.  Regularly scheduled big 3 flying out of there every day.

WHY is isn't there a HUGE blow up about a teen being able to get on the ramp and stow away??????  What the hell?  I'm getting groped and scanned for a freaking Swiss Army knife and this kid can walk onto a ramp and get on an airplane?

Now I would understand if this was Haiti or the D.R. or someplace with minimal security and people willing to risk it.  Charlotte??  Huh???
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Slight hijack. One of our C-130 aircrews scanned a color pic of one of their crew member's face screaming. They cut around the head and taped it inside the nose wheel bay against the inspection window. They sent a new loadmaster down to check the nose gear after they'd taken off. He almost shit himself.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Among the items mentioned above, there isn't a huge amount of extra space in the wheel well. It's entirely possible you'd get crushed long before you die of anoxia. The hydraulics of the main gear wouldn't even pause crushing your chest cavity, but you might cause the gear to fail to lock up. If that happens and the airliner aborts and RTBs, if the crush didn't finish you off, the fall will.

Assuming you luck out and are in the right place to avoid crushing, most commercial aircraft climb at 2-3000fpm, and are usually at cruising altitude in less than 20- 25 minutes. Again, assuming you are a relatively healthy non-smoker, above 25,000 you have 2-3 minutes of happy-time (hypoxia)1, followed by passing out.

I'd say you be dead no more than 25 minutes after take-off.

m

1.  I have been in the altitude chamber at NAS Jax and MCAS Cherry Point. I have experience with the hypoxia bits ... I've never seen *anyone* able to stay coordinated and/or able to make rational choices after 2-3 minutes. None of the chamber operators allow folks to pass out, so I don't know how much beyond the 2-3 minutes that would happen.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hypoxia, then anoxia.

Then hypothermia

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Slight hijack. One of our C-130 aircrews scanned a color pic of one of their crew member's face screaming. They cut around the head and taped it inside the nose wheel bay against the inspection window. They sent a new loadmaster down to check the nose gear after they'd taken off. He almost shit himself.

Well played sir.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If I remember my flying text books well, the temperature drops 3F per thousand feet and once you are above 14k feet you need 100% O2 all the time or you will pass out in thirty minutes (give or take). Once you are over I think it was 18k you pass out in seconds. So it depends on how cold it is at the ground. Warm day (75+) you suffocate first. Cool day (74-) you would freeze to death first.

Adiabatic lapse rate. Three degrees per thousand feet.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay, that's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Most likely from being squeezed like a grape when the hydraulicly actuated landing gear retracts and stows itself.

There ain't alot of 'extra' room in there.

Not to mention you would have like 3 seconds to decide on which way to twist and turn while you play a game of 'twister' in a life or death match.

This.  There is no way on just about any airplane for a person to be able to stow away in the wheel well.  There is no extra space in there when the wheels are retracted.  The person will be dead in a few hundred feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]
First you go deaf from the noise when the engines come up for takeoff
Then you get crushed when the wheel comes up because there is no extra room in there.
Then you start getting hypoxia going through about 15,000 feet.
Then your body freezes solid somewhere above 30,000 feet where it is -50 F ( 50 F below zero )

Where you actually die who knows.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowaway

Apparently several people have successfully survived international flights inside of wheel wells.  The survival rate looks to be pretty low, but definitely not zero, so long as your flight out of Havana doesn't accidentally get switched from Miami to London.  One wonders how much better those failed attempts might have fared had they dressed in extremely heavy winter clothing (multiple undershirts, parka, heavy mittens, several ski masks, layered socks, long underwear, etc) and carried an O2 bottle with them....
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#25]
So, basically what you guys are saying is that it's not a good idea to stow away in a jetliner's wheel wells.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I assure you I can perform aerobic exercise at 18K. I regularly do so above 14K.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Now that's fuckin funny!

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I bet it would be pretty damn painful....
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Seems I recall reading a WWII bomber crewman memoir that spoke of what happens at altitude (around 30K in this case). You will pass out within 30 seconds without oxygen and will be dead within minutes. He was told by instructors that, supposedly, it isn't a bad way to go as either you don't notice anything and are simply conscious and then unconscious or you experience a feeling of euphoria shortly before. The temperature at that altitude (30K feet) is around -50F. Any exposed skin freezes in a matter of minutes.

As for getting squashed in a gear well: wasn't there a story years ago about an Asian guy escaping from Commie China to Taiwan by stowing away in a gear well of a passenger liner? He survived hypoxia and freezing barely as the plane didn't get that high (it was a very short flight). No sources though and don't remember all the circumstances. However, before hearing/reading that I also believed you'd be squashed, pretty nastily.

ETA: Oxygen deprivation was a leading cause of death for WWII bomber crews. In his book alone (Shot at and Missed) he talks about this or that crew losing a guy when their oxygen line came clogged with ice or unplugged. He spoke of watching his navigator (he was a bombardier) fall over unconscious when his line came unplugged. Had poked his head up to tell the pilot something face-to-face (stretching and unplugging the line) collapsed on the short ladder/stairs, came to when the bombardier plugged him back in, and went right back to his charts without even realizing it. They also lost a tail gunner the same way but being isolated they didn't know until it was too late, even with regular oxygen checks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Reminds me of the Hill Street Blues episode where Coroner Wally Nydorf explained finding a guy with every bone broken in the desert, only the guy died from freezing to death.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hypoxia, anoxia, free fall, terminal velocity, sudden stop.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assure you I can perform aerobic exercise at 18K. I regularly do so above 14K.

When you do, you have accustomed your self to thows altitudes. Most people are not. I went to Peru in 07 and could not breath right for the first few days. Going from Florida to Peru (25' ASL to 14,000' ASL) dose that. I can go get my flight books and look it up if you would like and quote from the FAA them selves.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unless you get crushed when the gear retracts.

I'd rather fall asleep freezing, thank you....
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a "Delvonte" is?

He La'Shanitria baby daddy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I read about that a couple of weeks ago. Other than falling out when the wheels come down, I'd say you'd be lucky if you didn't freeze to death or die from lack of oxygen.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When you do, you have accustomed your self to thows altitudes.

Need more college.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Close. 2C is the standard lapse rate per 1000'. You'll need to be FL410 and up for TUC to be measured in seconds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

OMG that is good!!   I can picture it!

Im a former 130 guy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Crushed, then hypoxia and freezing if you're lucky.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ok, so I've been through Charlotte.

Pretty middle of the road airport.  Not your 3rd tier airport with open, public access hangar's of anything that has random commuter service.  Regularly scheduled big 3 flying out of there every day.

WHY is isn't there a HUGE blow up about a teen being able to get on the ramp and stow away??????  What the hell?  I'm getting groped and scanned for a freaking Swiss Army knife and this kid can walk onto a ramp and get on an airplane?

Now I would understand if this was Haiti or the D.R. or someplace with minimal security and people willing to risk it.  Charlotte??  Huh???

Precisely.

TSA is feeling out people's junk in the terminals, and this kid waltzes out to the parking apron and jumps into a wheel well.

Really bolsters my faith in the security of commercial aviation in the age of terrorism.  Not.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Hypoxia and/or hypothermia.   Maybe the bends too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However I could be wrong.about to

Close. 2C is the standard lapse rate per 1000'. You'll need to be FL410 and up for TUC to be measured in seconds.

just about to chime in with this. 2C is the standard lapse rate up to the tropopause.  Tropopause altitude changes based on weather and 2C is not always applicable if there is water vapor present.

Link Posted: 12/11/2010 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#43]
So, you sneak into the wheel well of a jetliner. How do you die?

nope
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Not to hijack the thread but it got me thinking.  If oxygen levels are too low to sustain life at altitude, how do the internal combustion engines of a plane keep working??
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

So, you sneak into the wheel well of a jetliner. How do you die?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/BigJim73/Autographs/ArnoldSchwarzeneggerCOMMANDOshot-1.jpg

nope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfpob3Fi8Y0&feature=related   starts around 4 min

Link Posted: 12/11/2010 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I saw this on tv last night..that show called 1000 ways to die. I think that's the name of it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

People have climbed Everest, at 29,029 feet, without oxygen tanks.  It's uncommon, and certainly about the most difficult thing you could ever do in mountaineering, but since it was first summited in the mid 20th century, several hundred people have achieved it.

Base camp, alone, for the Everest ascent is at about 17k, and your final camp lies just below the 'death zone' (around 26k feet).  So you're already sleeping overnight higher than the 18k that was cited.  Beyond that elevation, though, the body learns that it's easier to consume itself for energy instead of the contents of your stomach.  Few people stay in the 'death zone' for longer than several hours, and even then spend only minutes at most without bottled O2 (usually for a picture or two).  Even fewer have actually survived longer than a day above this elevation; though they usually succumb to hypothermia, falls, or other maladies before the body can consume itself past the point of mobility.

_MaH
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

People have climbed Everest, at 29,029 feet, without oxygen tanks.  It's uncommon, and certainly about the most difficult thing you could ever do in mountaineering, but since it was first summited in the mid 20th century, several hundred people have achieved it.

Base camp, alone, for the Everest ascent is at about 17k, and your final camp lies just below the 'death zone' (around 26k feet).  So you're already sleeping overnight higher than the 18k that was cited.  Beyond that elevation, though, the body learns that it's easier to consume itself for energy instead of the contents of your stomach.  Few people stay in the 'death zone' for longer than several hours, and even then spend only minutes at most without bottled O2 (usually for a picture or two).  Even fewer have actually survived longer than a day above this elevation; though they usually succumb to hypothermia, falls, or other maladies before the body can consume itself past the point of mobility.

_MaH

Heck, even Pike's Peak is 14K+ feet, and I don't remember walking around with a O2 tank on my back.  I do miss those donuts though

Link Posted: 12/11/2010 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just wanted to know, for the lulz.

Then you could have read the thread on the same topic from earlier in the day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm guessing you die by being crushed by the few thousand pounds of force the landing gear actuators exert on you as they retract. I can't think of any airliner I used to work around when I was with the airlines that you would have a chance in hell of fitting in.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top