Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I totally believe it to be true. It works just like dowsing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
LtCol Ron Reid-Daly was the commanding officer of the Rhodesian Selous Scouts.

I just realized that the tracking god I had in mind all along was another hyphenated Rhodesian: David Scott-Donelan. My mistake.

Our own Border Patrol has (or at least, had) some damn fine trackers.

Incidently, some tracking skills are region dependent. When the Brits transferred trackers from the Far East to Africa (or visa versa), they were misslead by the different soil properties.

Also, there is a "follow the tracks" approach and a "figure out the direction vector" approach. Apaches would do a ceremony to get into the prey's head, but it didn't work when trying to track a little white girl. How does an Apache think like a little white girl? On the other hand, Border Patrol trackers learn to follow each track, but that makes them slow––they relay the direction vector to other search and rescue personel. In lost person cases, the tracker usually does not find the victim, it is usually someone else in radio contact with the tracker.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mystical mumbo jumbo

The average Indian I've known couldn't track his way out of a crowded bar.

Probably not. By why would he want to?

I read about a case from the 40s, when some convicts escaped in the south west desert. Local indians were asked to track them, but got lost. The Border patrol were called in, tracked down the convicts (who were happy to be found), and then tracked down the lost indians.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhh, I now understand why the Taliban guys wear long beards.  Makes it easier to track down all those runaway bacha boys.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
 Not a chance I'm buying that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it is the same reason why blood hounds are bred with long draping ears. the ears help consolidate the smells.
how many times have you smelled fire before you saw it

Dude, you smelled the smoke, not the fire.  

Try this:

Light a match.  Now blow it out.  Smell the smoke?

Light another match.  Stick your nose right over the flame and sniff.  What's it smell like?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it is the same reason why blood hounds are bred with long draping ears. the ears help consolidate the smells.

i have below the collar wavy hair and have noticed i sense smells that my buzz cut, and short-haired
friends don't smell
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Light another match.  Stick your nose right over the flame and sniff.  What's it smell like?

Burning nose hairs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard a lot of crazy things, but this is something new.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Eh, I call shenanigans.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this:

It smells like... burning.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Santa Claus has long hair and he can find all the good boys and girls.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that why Tommy Lee Jones had long hair and a beard in "The Hunted"?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]

In the early nineties, Sally [name changed to protect privacy] was married to a licensed psychologist who worked at a VA Medical hospital.

I think Sally's husband wanted to grow his hair long, spent a lunch hour creating a phony document, and then showed it to his gullible wife.

To do: generate phony document that proves the more guns a man owns, the more often his wife reaches orgasm.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I essentially make my living as a historian and expert on the Vietnam War. This is the about the most full of shit thing I have read. I am sure these long hair trackers were right up there with Navy Seals in Laos and Cambodia, Marine special snipers who wiped out a whole village near Da Nang, and the hoards of homeless bedraggled vets we see on every street in every major city. I meet Special Agent Orange almost every day and it still pisses me off.

Some units, such as the 1st Cav, had tracker teams where both the dogs and handlers had spent 6 months at the British Jungle Warfare School in Malaysia. I cannot fathom that a long haired Indian would have been more effective than that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has Ron Reid-Daly weighed in on long hair/short hair for trackers?

Stories from unnamed American Indians and Vietnam veterans are interesting, but hardly conclusive. Reid-Daly is pretty much the god of tracking in the modern age.

Who is this guy?

The best modern trackers that I know of are BP trakers, men like Jack Kearny.

LtCol Ron Reid-Daly was the commanding officer of the Rhodesian Selous Scouts.

I just realized that the tracking god I had in mind all along was another hyphenated Rhodesian: David Scott-Donelan. My mistake.

Tracking god from C squadron was:
Chris Schulenberg
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The thesis is counterintuitive.  The hair would get in the way of hearing, being over your ears.  Likewise with hair getting in your eyes.

I used to bow hunt, in the 70s with a guy who'd been in Nam, fighting, not sitting behind a desk.  He wouldn't wear a hat/cap no matter what.  He said that it screwed up his hearing & he had real good hearing.  He said that the hat "rerouted" the sound a different way than he was used to hearing game moving.  He didn't use the term "rerouted" but I can't remember what he called it.  Maybe it was "deflected."

Unfortunately the poor guy is now a falling down drunk, living off a VA disability, I think.  He was a helluva good guy.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Cousin IT was in special forces during that period.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In the early nineties, Sally [name changed to protect privacy] was married to a licensed psychologist who worked at a VA Medical hospital.

I think Sally's husband wanted to grow his hair long, spent a lunch hour creating a phony document, and then showed it to his gullible wife.

To do: generate phony document that proves the more guns a man owns, the more often his wife reaches orgasm.

I've done considerable research on this. Its true. Let me know if you need my testimony.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ask yourself this - is your wife/girlfriend more aware of her surroundings or are you?

My wife, long hair and all, wouldn't notice if Bin Laden and zombie Hitler were running down the street at us with machetes while screaming "Death to America."

Myth.

I'd like to see a double-blind test on this please.

Post videos.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Very interesting. I would think having long hair would interfere (as it does) with hearing.

No it's not.  It's dumb
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#22]
this thread needs music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yb00UmUqLI
Also Samson didn't do well when he cut his hair
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Really dumb article.  

Yep, back in the 60s the best place to find a really talented tracker was on an Indian reservation.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Equating hair length to tracking skills is like using dick size to measure intelligence.  So we have an excellent tracker here?

and these guys didn't have a clue what they were doing (Selous scouts)

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I wonder if I should quit shaving below the navel, who knows long hair may have other effects.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I have no comment on the hair thing.

As for trackers, there are rare individuals who can track ants across bare rock.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I noticed that when I died my hair green that my tracking improved but when I cut my mullet, it declined. Now I have it shaved like Mr T and I can locate 2 for 1 beer specials with my sixth sense.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this:

LOL
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[/div][div]When questioned about their failure to perform as expected, the older recruits replied consistantly that when they received their required military haircuts, they could no longer 'sense' the enemy, they could no longer access a 'sixth sense' , their 'intuition' no longer was reliable, they couldn't 'read' subtle signs as well or access subtle extrasensory information. [/div][div]
[/div][div]So the testing institute recruited more indian trackers, let them keep their long hair, and tested them in multiple areas. Then they would pair two men together who had received the same scores on all the tests. They would let one man in the pair keep his hair long, and gave the other man a military haircut. Then the two men retook the tests. [/div][div]
[/div][div]Time after time the man with long hair kept making high scores. Time after time, the man with the short hair failed the tests in which he had previously scored high scores. [/div][div]
[/div][div]Here is a typical test: [/div][div]
[/div][div]The recruit is sleeping out in the woods. An armed 'enemy' approaches the sleeping man. The long haired man is awakened out of his sleep by a strong sense of danger and gets away long before the enemy is close, long before any sounds from the approaching enemy are audible. [/div][div]
[/div][div]In another version of this test the long haired man senses an approach and somehow intuits that the enemy will perform a physical attack. He follows his 'sixth sense' and stays still, pretending to be sleeping, but quickly grabs the attacker and 'kills' him as the attacker reaches down to strangle him. [/div][div]
[/div][div]This same man, after having passed these and other tests, then received a military haircut and consistantly failed these tests, and many other tests that he had previously passed. [/div][div]
[/div][div]So the document recommended that all Indian trackers be exempt from military haircuts. In fact, it required that trackers keep their hair long. " [/div][div]
[/div][/div]

Sounds like somebody didn't want a haircut, and figured out what they needed to say to make that happen.

I have no problem believing they said that.
I have no problem believing that people believed them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done considerable research on this. Its true. Let me know if you need my testimony.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#32]
If this were true then hippies wouldn't have gotten clubbed in protests or shot at Kent State back in 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wonder if I should quit shaving below the navel, who knows long hair may have other effects.

WTF?

Actually, never mind...
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Actually, never mind...

It makes yer pecker look bigger.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Actually, never mind...

You couldn't just let me go on believing Metalrain was a female?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Hhmm..

A cat's whiskers are highly sensitive receptors. Other mammals have them as well. Long hair on a human might do the same thing.

Either way, if the test results are accurate, it's pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Actually, never mind...

You couldn't just let me go on believing Metalrain was a female?

Didn't count on that. I've always held Rule 30 of the Internet to be pretty true: There Are NO Girls On The Internet.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do people really buy this kind of bullshit when they post it in GD like this?

I really hope not.

I don't think most buy this. Tracking is a skill. I think African Trackers are top paid, then the Skinners. Really I suspect big game trackers are probably better than anything the military could offer straight up.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top