Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2010 6:19:34 PM EDT
And NOT be vulgar or use "potty humor" or perverted sexual situations ??
Now I am NO prude, hell I saw Eddie Murphy Raw, Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison, and many other comics in concert and have no problem with it.
I really am referring to cable channels and shows like family guy, south park and ANYTHING on that STUPID ass adult swim channel.
We monitor what our kids watch but this type of "humor" is turning up more and more on nearly every channel.
So I ask, is it possible in todays world to be funny without being vulgar ?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Yes.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, but it's boring
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Of course it is. It just takes more effort than most "comics" are willing to put in.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Brian Regan comes to mind.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yes, but it's boring

So you can't be entertained without the vulgarity ?
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
There are many good stand up comedians that come to mind.

Bill Cosby
Jim Gaffigan
Gabriel Iglesias
Jeff Foxworthy (sometimes does a shallow dive into sex stuff)

Just so happens, they are some of the best in the business as well.  I could go for some short/decent sex/dirty jokes.  But it really starts to kill the show when it is constant. Just like when at rock concerts... the lead singer usually stops half way into the show to tell some BS story of how he F***ed some chick that was smokin hot and shit.  Everyone would trade that time for an extra song or two.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Of course it is. It just takes more effort than most "comics" are willing to put in.

...and also more intelligence than most comics possess, as well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
It's the "edge" that makes a lot of comics funny. If they're censoring themselves, there's no bite to their comedy.

Anger at events, people or things is a way of blowing off steam, and the audience connects with it. They say the things that everyone else wishes they could.

This is why "family friendly" and religious comedians are so tame and dull. There's no edge to them. They're safe and therefore uninteresting.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I consider some of the greatest comedians and funny men of all time to be the likes of...

Bill Cosby, The Smothers Brothers, Jackie Gleason, Abbot and Costello, etc.

So I would say yes, it's possible to be funny without a single 'foul' word.

Larry the cable guy doesn't tend to be vulgar does he? Pretty funny guy.
Obviously, I embrace profanity and love the obscene... but Adult Swim doesn't even exist in my little world, it's too stupid to rate at all.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.

His name is Bob Newhart.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes, but it's boring

I can, but it's boring.  I'm an adult, I don't need children's entertainment.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's the "edge" that makes a lot of comics funny. If they're censoring themselves, there's no bite to their comedy.

Anger at events, people or things is a way of blowing off steam, and the audience connects with it. They say the things that everyone else wishes they could.

This is why "family friendly" and religious comedians are so tame and dull. There's no edge to them. They're safe and therefore uninteresting.  

this
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Look for "Bill Cosby Youtube"  Should find quite a bit to keep you entertained.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
George Carlin could cuss like a sailor, but he also did plenty of routines that did not depend on profanity. Baseball vs. football bit is one of the standouts.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes, but it's boring

I can, but it's boring.  I'm an adult, I don't need children's entertainment.

I am a HUGE fan of the Three Stooges(Curly only), the Honeymooners, Laurel and Hardy, Marx Brothers and other older comedy.
Don't get me wrong, I love Mel Brooks stuff, Monty Python, Simpsons etc... BUT stuff by seth macfartland, the movies of will farrel like step brothers, Austin Powers etc....just seem like they can't be funny without the vulgarity.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#17]
its all about the situation...
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and also more intelligence than most comics possess, as well.
And audience.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess another poster said it better than I could.  I just don't want my comedy to be censored.  

The comics I find the funniest tend to have nothing off limits.  I like people who will push the limits and at least sometimes that's going to be vulgar and in bad taste.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Jerry Seinfeld
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Bob Newhart
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I laugh at funny shit...cuss words or no.

I also protect my grand kids from the same.

When they get old enough they can make up their own minds.

GM
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw Bill Cosby live last year. He went on stage and performed non-stop for 2 hours. Lots of jokes about family dynamics, hilarious stuff. No crudeness. Minimal swearing, perhaps a hell or damn once or twice.

The man is an American classic, and doesn't have to sound like Sam Kinison.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Now I am NO prude, hell I saw Eddie Murphy Raw, Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison, and many other comics in concert and have no problem with it.
I really am referring to cable channels and shows like family guy, south park and ANYTHING on that STUPID ass adult swim channel.
We monitor what our kids watch but this type of "humor" is turning up more and more on nearly every channel.

Sure is.

Adult Swim is (Surprise, surprise) for adults, as are all those "mature cartoons" floating around... Eg. Family Guy, Robot Chicken, 99% of anime, American Dad, South Park, Metalocolypse, etc.

All those shows are on Adult channels (Comedy Central, Adult Swim) or they're on at night when Adults are usually watching the tube... Family Guy, American Dad, etc.

Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Brian Regan are all pretty family-friendly comedians.  Jeff and Bill take jumps into adult humor every once in a while but it's nothing like Dane Cook will do.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#26]
It's about what a particular comedian can make work. Bill Cosby is funny clean, he might not be able to do vulgar well. Vice versa for Eddie Murphy. Sometimes I find vulgar comedians boring, more often than clean ones actually. I've heard quite a few that think just because it's vulgar it makes them edgy and funny. Lisa Lampinelli has got a lot of mileage out of talking about how much she likes black dicks. Pretty damn boring and stale act no matter how crude it is.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Mitch Hedburg (sp?) had some drug humor in his act, but nothing crude or distasteful and he was funny as hell.

Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Larry the cable guy doesn't tend to be vulgar does he? Pretty funny guy.

You are wrong.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Funny you said that...

I don't find much of anything funny that is not vulgar or sexual.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, but it ends up being a different kind of comedy. You can’t take vulgar comedy, clean it up, and keep it funny.

And I found something online today It’s an .mp3 in four parts of Rick and Bubba telling the story of “Willie and Wanda.” It’s very funny and pretty darn clean at the same time.

http://coffeenutt.blogspot.com/2010/01/best-of-rick-bubba-willie-and-wanda.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top