Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Diesel tends to be cheaper than gas at interstate truck stops.  They buy in bulk vs. the average gas station that only has 1 diesel pump.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
because of .gov regulations requiring minimal sulfur content.

Which increases refining cost even higher than the bs special blend bs for gas cars...

TXL
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I dont know....but I have a dumbass BIL who thinks diesel is more expensive because people on the east cost use it to heat their homes and it makes it cost more

We put it in our shop heater

Even with diesel being more expensive, it's still cheaper than gas (because of the MPG difference).

Case in point: My 2004 Chevy Crew Cab w/Duramax averages 19 with 60mph country cruising (sometimes more, but not as common). The same truck with the 6.0 gasser would be happy to hit 14mpg.

Spread that over 20,000 miles at $2.95 gas and $3.05 diesel (what I saw on the way to work this morning).

1052 gallons consumed x $3.05=$3210 for diesel.
1428 gallons consumed x $2.95=$4214 for the gasser. Gas would have to be $2.24 before the gasser is cheaper to drive than the diesel at $3.05 per gallon.

I'll keep my truck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheapest gas I ever bought was when I was 16 years old in 1997 in Springfield, MO. for $0.73 per gallon. It was $0.83 in my little town.

I remeber filling up a 32 gallon tank on my dad's truck for $18.00 (not quite empty).

I also remember telling myself to be sure to remember it because it woud be a story to tell my kids someday if they ever even got to know what gasoline was.

I also remember filling up that same truck in the summer of 2004 and spending $118.00 because gasoline had climbed to $3.99 a gallon.

Dad told me that their old tractor had 2 fuel tanks, one to start the engine on gasoline, and a much larger one to run it on much cheaper diesel fuel once the engine was hot.

It even had radiator shutters to help it heat up faster and hold the required temperature to burn the diesel fuel in a lower compression spark ignition engine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember $.17   diesel & $.24 gas.
About the only diesel contraptions were Semi's & farm equipment.

The Ol' Crew Chief

How freakin old are you?

He is not THAT old , you young whippersnapper .    

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
laws of supply anf demand.
it's as simple as that.

I guess even the stupid is bigger in Texas.

i've owned several diesels.
diesel in 1994 was about $.10 less per gallon than gasoline.
there are many more regular joes driving diesels than before. more demand, no increase in supply.

And at least i'm not stupid enough to live in asswipe Connecticut. Have they started taxing your breathing yet?

diesel here in Dallas is almost even-up with 87 octane gas, pricewise. if it's not like that in your little corner of Hell, i suggest you talk to the communists that you elect to public office.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
epa and ultra low sulphur diesel.  more expensive to make.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember $.17   diesel & $.24 gas.
About the only diesel contraptions were Semi's & farm equipment.

The Ol' Crew Chief

How freakin old are you?

That's when people made $0.50 an hour...

Gasoline is more affordable now than it was in the 1960's.

Plus consider the cars of the day to now. 10MPG vs 30+?
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have thought in such a crappy economy, shipping would be down and so would demand for diesel.  I guess the rest of the world is more than making up for that, AND they're willing to pay for it.

Just wait til we see the same situation with food.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dad told me that their old tractor had 2 fuel tanks, one to start the engine on gasoline, and a much larger one to run it on much cheaper diesel fuel once the engine was hot.

It even had radiator shutters to help it heat up faster and hold the required temperature to burn the diesel fuel in a lower compression spark ignition engine.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True shit, I just can't remember the tractor that did it.

EDIT: Farmall MD started on gasoline and switched to diesel after it warmed up. Only citation I have is off Wikipedia under the "Letter Series and Golden Years of IH" section. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmall

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Other things constant...it's the increase in demand. Taxes would for sure bump the price up, but diesel as had a rising demand for probably a decade or two now. Increase in demand will cause prices to rise. Simple economics.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would have thought in such a crappy economy, shipping would be down and so would demand for diesel.  I guess the rest of the world is more than making up for that, AND they're willing to pay for it.

Just wait til we see the same situation with food.

When it comes to oil futures, a demand component never plays a role. I don't care what any "experts" say.

Dollar is up, oil goes up
Dollar is down, oil goes up
Demand is high, oil goes up
Demand is low, oil goes up

Oil is a dirty commodity controlled by a cartel and scumbag traders and nannyed by government do-gooders.
Let the oil companies have un-fetters access to all lands and drill baby drill!

When I am God, there will be an oil rig on every corner forcing oil down to $15 a barrel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Simple - 90% of the cars on the road are gas, not diesel. It costs the gas station $$ to buy fuel. Regular gas is sold and bought more often than diesel. (high inventory turn count). Purchasing volumes gets better pricing.
Diesel is not used by as many vehicles and the inventory turns are lower. The tanks holding diesel are not being used to sell regular gas, so they are in effect costing the gas station potential sales.

Lower turns generally means higher costs - not always. Diesel costs the gas station more. Costs are passed on to the consumer.

Then through in the tax component, and you have your answer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I work in an oil refinery.  It's all about supply and demand and government regulations.  

1 - Supply & demand - Europe & the rest of the world now uses much more diesel than they did before (demand has gone up).  Some say diesel demand is growing at twice the rate of gasoline - Diesel Demand

2 - Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel - Thanks to our wonderful politicians and our bureaucratic EPA which has required oil refineries to remove more sulphur from diesel fuel. It is very expensive to remove sulphur out of motor fuels.  It involves hydrogen and a lot of expensive process equipment and catalyst.

What do you/ the industry do with all the sulphur that is extracted ?

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Simple - 90% of the cars on the road are gas, not diesel. It costs the gas station $$ to buy fuel. Regular gas is sold and bought more often than diesel. (high inventory turn count). Purchasing volumes gets better pricing.
Diesel is not used by as many vehicles and the inventory turns are lower. The tanks holding diesel are not being used to sell regular gas, so they are in effect costing the gas station potential sales.

Lower turns generally means higher costs - not always. Diesel costs the gas station more. Costs are passed on to the consumer.

Which is exactly why I buy my diesel at truck stops.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is exactly why I buy my diesel at truck stops.

We used to have two truck stops on opposite sides of the interstate, competing with each other. Fuel was consistently 10-20 cents cheaper there than anywhere else around. A few months ago, one bought out the other, and now both are consistently the higher-priced fuels in a 50 mile radius.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of it is due to the fact that a barrel  of oil will yield more gallons of gasoline than diesel. Diesel contains more energy per gallon than gasoline - and there is only so much energy content in a barrel of oil. More gallons of fuel per barrel = cheaper cost per gallon of fuel*

*Assuming the refining costs, distribution costs, taxes, etc. are similar for both fuels

no, most crude has to be broken down (cracked) to yield enough gasoline.

No matter what refining process you use, the laws of physics dictate that you can't get as much diesel as gasoline out of a barrel of crude.

but refining is a small part of the cost

One of the biggest costs is the oil itself - which is why the amount of refined fuel you get out of a barrel of oil affects the price you have to charge for it. If you can only get one gallon of fuel "X" out of 50 gallons of crude or 25 gallons of fuel "Y" out of it, then you obviously have to charge more for the fuel "X" in order to recover what you paid for the crude.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of it is due to the fact that a barrel  of oil will yield more gallons of gasoline than diesel. Diesel contains more energy per gallon than gasoline - and there is only so much energy content in a barrel of oil. More gallons of fuel per barrel = cheaper cost per gallon of fuel*

*Assuming the refining costs, distribution costs, taxes, etc. are similar for both fuels

no, most crude has to be broken down (cracked) to yield enough gasoline.

No matter what refining process you use, the laws of physics dictate that you can't get as much diesel as gasoline out of a barrel of crude.

but refining is a small part of the cost

One of the biggest costs is the oil itself - which is why the amount of refined fuel you get out of a barrel of oil affects the price you have to charge for it. If you can only get one gallon of fuel "X" out of 50 gallons of crude or 25 gallons of fuel "Y" out of it, then you obviously have to charge more for the fuel "X" in order to recover what you paid for the crude.

but it isn't that linear.  Its within the refining cost.  which is why diesel was traditionally cheaper.
Its not economics, its government.
you are talking maybe a 5 % yield delta,
Kerosine is basically diesel.  whats cheaper bulk?  

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I bought my first VW diesel car in 2002, diesel was just $1.35/gallon, I paid up to $4.78/gallon at the peak of the bubble.  With a few exceptions this past year, diesel always seems to be 10-40 cents higher than regular gasoline, although sometimes its between regular and premium.  Everything I've read says that diesel is easier to manufacture and does not require as much refining as gasoline and it yields much greater efficiency.  Add to that the already efficient infrastructure to distribute diesel with semis, trains and ships needing huge quantities of diesel fuel.  I didn't notice a spike in the price of diesel when low sulphur diesel became mandatory and I was running biodiesel from the pump for a while that was cheaper than regular pump diesel when prices were $4+/gallon.  My new VW diesel gets 42-45 mpg but it still kills me to see diesel going higher and higher when compared to gasoline.

People have told me that it's the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and the demand for the war machine that raises the price, others tell me that it's the states and their taxes on diesel or that the government subsidies on E85 gasoline make it just seem cheaper.  It makes me wonder why the price of diesel always seems to be higher than gasoline?

Anyone got the answer?  Should diesel be cheaper than gasoline all things being equal?

Primary reason is there is less of it per barrel of crude. Secondary is that much more is being used now -vs- mid 1980's. http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/energyexplained/images/charts/products_from_barrel_crude_oil-small.gif

ETA: The ULS mandate has added to the price, but diesel surpassed gasoline in price a long time ago.

The above is correct.
Ultimately the mechanism for all the factors noted is basic supply and demand.
There are enough people trying to buy  a large enough volume of Diesel to keep the prices where they are.

Also, what you are really getting the diesel for is energy.  Energy for transportation and to run equipment.
Diesel happens to contain significantly more energy per gallon than gasoline, so it also makes sense that you are paying more money, to get more energy.

That is why diesel engines tend to get better mileage than gas engines.  It isn't really something special about the engine, it is that the diesel fuel just contains more energy.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's as simple as that.

i've owned several diesels.
diesel in 1994 was about $.10 less per gallon than gasoline.
there are many more regular joes driving diesels than before. more demand, no increase in supply.

And at least i'm not stupid enough to live in asswipe Connecticut. Have they started taxing your breathing yet?

diesel here in Dallas is almost even-up with 87 octane gas, pricewise. if it's not like that in your little corner of Hell, i suggest you talk to the communists that you elect to public office.

Sniff-sniff. That's a cool story, bro, but it doesn't change the fact that diesel costs more than gasoline because of higher taxes than gasoline.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Gasoline is not cheaper on your wallet today than it was 40+ yrs ago.

In 1967 gas was .26/gal

The median income was $5313.44 (Social Security Avg Wage Indexing)

In 2009 gas is $3.19/gal

The median income is $40,711.61 (SSAWI again)

You can buy 12,762.26 gallons of gas today with all of your income.

You could buy 20,436.31 gallons with your piddly income in 1967.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 2:54:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In 1967 gas was .26/gal

In 2009 gas is $3.19/gal

What was your gas mileage on that vehicle in 1967?
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:04:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's as simple as that.

Uuhhh, no.  We don't elect lying jackwads who look like the living dead as US senators.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:18:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In 1967 gas was .26/gal

In 2009 gas is $3.19/gal

What was your gas mileage on that vehicle in 1967?

If you want to debate cost of driving you need to factor more than mpg.

Cost of a vehicle back then was around 12 months salary. Pretty much the same today.

Cost of driving to work and back? Depends on where you live. Back then were no traffic jams, no massive freeway congestion, and no sitting in traffic for hours just burning up that precious gas or diesel. I'd say total cost is a wash with more efficient vehicles today, but my point was simply that gas was less expensive in the 60's.

You could fly from LA to SF for $12.50 and not get groped by the TSA, or you could just drive there for $8.39 @ 12mpg hwy.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]
People drove 6,000 miles a year in 1970 and 15,000 today.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top