Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I had to google to see what my speedometer goes to, I never noticed.

It goes to 120 but the computer stops me at 147 until I get a tune. No reason to even hit 120 but I did go over 100 on accident once.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
This is all unofficially, of course...

A 78 Ford 4x4 with a 400M (cammed up and geared up) will do 104 even if the speedometer only goes to 85.  That is an average of a distance of some 40 miles.  Time.  Average speed.

An 85 CUCV (Blazer) with a 378 Diesel will do 100 MPH even though the speedometer only went to 85.  Averaged speed, again.  Interesting to note that the vehicle was passed by another.  And since it is the Autobahn, you will see headlights in your mirror for a couple seconds until the Lamborghini passes you.

A 98 Mustang with the fuel injected V6 can easily do 110 on a straight stretch...especially when passing a 'convoy' of ten, or so, vehicles.  The speedometer goes to 120.

None of the above are real...they are figments of my imagination.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
In 1968 my Plymouth GTX had 145 on the go fast indicator. About 143 was all it would do. Every now and then it felt like it wanted to become airborne.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All cars unless you mod it to not have one have a govenor. Like my lexus is300 stock goes 142 in my turbo IS i have been 160 and it will go higher.

Negative.  My truck wont go faster than around 112 cause its V6 cant push that brick through the air any faster
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, according to my GPS. In fact it will go a lot faster.

My speedometer only goes to 120, yet my GPS says I have gone 567 mph.

Wanna bet on it?
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I think my speedo goes to 140, but I know my car has a governor at 114 or so
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Find some open road and try it out, Jag is a top-tier touring car - they can fly. Likely has a limiter to kill the boost around 120 mph (a true gear jockey will re-program this).

Highly recommend that tires, suspension, steering and brakes are up to the challenge before trying though. If anything is worn out, don't do it unless you want to be featured in next years Darwin awards.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Truck's speedo goes to 120, will actually do 129 (factory speed limiter) but the tires I have are only rated for 112. Programmer will raise it to 139 IIRC though I would never want to see my truck at that speed.

In Virginia anything over 80mph is an instant reckless driving charge so I make sure to keep it well under that.  

Yup, people driving in VA should be aware of a few things, espeically those who are sticking their chests out at how fast they go:

Item 1: (20+ over posted or over 80 anywhere is reckless)

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

Item 2: (This means that a reckless conviction is a crime)

§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.

A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Item 3:  (this means that the CA or Court can have mercy and drop the possible criminal charge down to a serious traffic one)

§ 46.2-869. Improper driving; penalty.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this article, upon the trial of any person charged with reckless driving where the degree of culpability is slight, the court in its discretion may find the accused not guilty of reckless driving but guilty of improper driving. However, an attorney for the Commonwealth may reduce a charge of reckless driving to improper driving at any time prior to the court's decision and shall notify the court of such change. Improper driving shall be punishable as a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of not more than $500.

In an unrelated note, this should also be taken to heart by VA drivers.  The main take home here is that if you're speeding in residential or low speed areas, don't count on right of way laws to protect you if you have an accident when 'someone pulls out in front of you'.  This is where that data recorder will get you...

§ 46.2-823. Unlawful speed forfeits right-of-way.

The driver of any vehicle traveling at an unlawful speed shall forfeit any right-of-way which he might otherwise have under this article.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone remember the "good old days" of speedometers that only went to 85?

I know for a fact that a 1986 IROC will go over 85 indicated.
I also know that a 198? Oldsmobile Delta 88 sedan will go over 85 indicated.
I further know 1987 Cadillac Eldorado will go over 85 indicated, and the digital speedomotor begins to blink.
Interestingly enough, I also know that a 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood sedan will also go over 85 indicated.
I'm also pretty sure that GMC and Chevy Suburbans of that era (we had a few) will also exceed 85 indicated.

Noticing a theme, here?

I know for a fact that  a 84 Z-28  will go faster than the 85 on it's speedo........because I saw it a 75 mph .................on it's second time around.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup, people driving in VA should be aware of a few things, espeically those who are sticking their chests out at how fast they go:

I'll agree with that if you're not on the Interstate, but on the Interstate, that's retarded.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll agree with that if you're not on the Interstate, but on the Interstate, that's retarded.

I've gone over that in traffic with a cop a couple cars up, everyone was holding at that speed. They consider that keeping pace with traffic?

Yes, in VA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in the sticks. A few miles from my home there is a long stretch of straight country road with nothing on either side. You can see at least a quarter mile looking left or right while driving down this section of road. Said stretch of road is long enough for a hypothetical car with decent power to reach over 130 mph by the time one would theoretically need to brake for a gentle curve. All speeds are for discussion only mind you. Please explain why driving over 80 on such a stretch is reckless as a matter of fact, not reckless as a matter of law.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will my car go as fast as the speedometer says it can can? I have a 1999 Jag XJ8 and the speedometer goes to 170 pmh. Can this car really go even close to that?

How old are you
Be 50 next summer young man. Like I said earlier. I'm in a cell right now with 55 inmates. 5 are here for murder, 2 for capital murder.. I guess a typo so I can watch them is ok with me.

Why so concerned with my age? Did someone light the fuse to your tampon? ETA:j/k

Easy old man , dont get your BP up , it just sounded like something asked by a wide-eyed little boy as he looks at a nice car's speedo for the first time , thats all

And where did the response of your cell-mates come from ?

LOL! I'm the only one in the cell that get's to leave at the end of "my shift"! I have 2 computers at my work station and basicly what I do is watch for inmate on inmate troubles, and supervisr the local miscreants and try to keep some semblance of peace/order. Let me tell ya, it's not easy. We just went to direct supervision a few weeks ago, and I am not liking it at all.

I mentioned it early on in this thread because I had written the question to sound like the speedometer and my car were racing each other.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
My 2008 BMW M3 speedometer goes to 200MPH but it will only do 180MPH.

On the other hand, I once owned a 1985 Porsche 911 and the speedometer only went to 85MPH, but the car would do 140MPH.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in the sticks. A few miles from my home there is a long stretch of straight country road with nothing on either side. You can see at least a quarter mile looking left or right while driving down this section of road. Said stretch of road is long enough for a hypothetical car with decent power to reach over 130 mph by the time one would theoretically need to brake for a gentle curve. All speeds are for discussion only mind you. Please explain why driving over 80 on such a stretch is reckless as a matter of fact, not reckless as a matter of law.

I'm sure you can cherry-pick a few locations that might be relatively safe, but they are the exception.  Wildlife is probably the biggest danger there.  It doesn't matter how far you can see; a bedded deer might as well be wearing a ghillie suit.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My Civic's speedo goes to 150. That might be a tad... optimisitic.

I owned a Porsche 911 with a speedo that only went to 85.

"No, Officer,  there is no way of knowing how fast I was going."
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think so. My Mustang GT's speedo tops out at 150MPH, it starts running out of breath around 120mph-ish. It'll go faster, but 100+ is still pretty good for me.

My '00 Silverados' speedo on the other hand stopped at 100MPH; 3rd gear with 33's it'd still be pulling hard at 100MPH, I bet I could get it up to 120-130MPH in OD before drag overcame torque.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]
No. Car makers are just optimistic. Plus it helps when selling the car when a person gets in and sees a speedometer with a really high top end.

For example: My 1973 J-Truck and it's overly optimistic factory speedometer.

This:

Has This:

120 MPH speedo bitches!

Manual Brakes. Manual Steering. Drum brakes all the way around.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My 2008 BMW M3 speedometer goes to 200MPH but it will only do 180MPH.

On the other hand, I once owned a 1985 Porsche 911 and the speedometer only went to 85MPH, but the car would do 140MPH.

My 87 951 has a 180MPH speedometer. That's a big jump for 2 years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
NO, even when it is not in the shop.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
My 1993 SHO with an aftermarket garrett t4 hit 140 and had ass to go still.... Until the blue lights came on..... The cop said he clocked me at 143, I got a warning because of my silver tongue. Wrist pin broke at 85k miles and the car then was donated to the DAV. I did get a great 50k miles out of it though. Man I lvoed that car.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a 1987 Mustang GT,  5.0 liter, 5 speed that had a factory 85 mph speedometer.   Yeah, the top end was a bit higher than 85.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#23]
My car's speedo reads to 160. Computer limited to 150ish. I still had 800rpm in 5th and all of 6th gear to go so I imagine top speed is 170ish.
2011 Mustang GT
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#24]
280hp 4.0L engine?  No way in a car that big with that steep of a windshield. Hell I hit 154 w/ the 4.6 and 300hp and it was aerodynamically limited. Now if you have the 360hp supercharged version you will be very close when it hits its aerodynamic limit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
My Spectra says 140, topped it at 132. Damn lying piece of shit!!!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top