Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2010 3:59:59 PM EDT
So far, seems good to go.

Hand operated and LOW impact, I deal with tendinitis and I don't want to aggravate it with my axe or other driven splitters...I figured for the price, why not? I have 3 down trees that I cut up... and a ton of wood to split.

I was going to rent a power unit, but it was close to 200.00 for the day and I would have to tow it...saw this and went to the store and bought it. I am going to engineer some big fat wheels on some 4x4's to it....I went there on Tuesday to buy it, dude told me to come back today for the sale....

Going to do as much as I can over this 4 day weekend I took.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter-67090.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Question:
Do you cycle the jack handles alternately or in tandem?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Question:

Thanks.

You can do one at a time or both...I found one dishes out more than the other, the directions say to pump both alternately...the little hand wheel releases the pressure...so can slowly (like a car jack) relieve the pressure to the press comes back just far enough for the next one...then 4 or so strokes and she is splitting.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.

I guess I'll write this in as reason #56872344 why I need to learn how to weld.  That is elegantly simple.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
How big are the rounds?
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Interesting.

I guess I'll write this in as reason #56872344 why I need to learn how to weld.  That is elegantly simple.

Yes, they are. Take a couple of pictures of one and you can make your own in an afternoon. If you're just going to be using it at home, you can use a cheap air-over-oil cylinder that's much faster than a hand jack.

I'd predict that you aren't going to get more than 20 splits in an hour with a hand jack.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at those, may pick one up with the 20% off coupon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:

Thanks.

You can do one at a time or both...I found one dishes out more than the other, the directions say to pump both alternately...the little hand wheel releases the pressure...so can slowly (like a car jack) relieve the pressure to the press comes back just far enough for the next one...then 4 or so strokes and she is splitting.

Wow, just four strokes?? I really figured those things would be like rowing your way to hell.  Might have to get one before the weekend's out.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

Yes, they are. Take a couple of pictures of one and you can make your own in an afternoon. If you're just going to be using it at home, you can use a cheap air-over-oil cylinder that's much faster than a hand jack.

I'd predict that you aren't going to get more than 20 splits in an hour with a hand jack.

Where can you get one of those cheap cylinders

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting.

I did 5 in a few min.....low impact and cheap is what I was after...I got that.

If I wanted wanted fast and power I would have bought/ rented it...with the yard I have the amount of trees and the wood we get, this one will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
How much is shipping?
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:

Thanks.

Wow, just four strokes?? I really figured those things would be like rowing your way to hell.  Might have to get one before the weekend's out.  Thanks!!

Once she bit, it didn't take much...
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How much is shipping?

I don't know, I picked it up at a local.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

HF or Northern Tool has all sorts of them. Heck, even a straight pneumatic cylinder, like the one on my M/C stand would split wood. Sure, you can get all fancy and make a hydraulic one with a gas engine and all that, but if you're just splitting wood for your own home use, pneumatic or air/oil is gonna do the job.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

Um... harbor freight.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have 3 down trees that I cut up... and a ton of wood to split.

what kind of wood?
and how big are the rounds?

i have a lot of cherry, black walnut, and oak and there is no way in hell i could use anything other than a vertical gas powered splitter –– no way could i pick up round after round of 20" diameter cherry.  f-that!  some of the bigger rounds shown below weigh 200+ pounds, you have to struggle just to stand them up for the splitter.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what kind of wood?

I'll post some pic tomorrow, I got some maple and some cherry...but nothing superhuge....

ETA:

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a pneumatic splitter DR I think,it does ok until you get to the bigger rounds,mainly Oak.I was thinking of getting a jack powered model just because,most of the stuff we cut anymore goes to the pulper anyhow so I don't use splitters that much,but they are nice to have.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I bet I could split a lot more wood with my maul and wedge in the same amount of time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bet I could split a lot more wood with my maul and wedge in the same amount of time.

Good for you.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ETA:
Those pics are taking forever to load and going to kill the thread..use just the link, plz.

fixed –– my bad, wrong links.  should load quick now.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what kind of wood?

i have a lot of cherry, black walnut, and oak and there is no way in hell i could use anything other than a vertical gas powered splitter –– no way could i pick up round after round of 20" diameter cherry.  f-that!  some of the bigger rounds shown below weigh 200+ pounds, you have to struggle just to stand them up for the splitter.

ar-jedi

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/2502-3/DSCN0256.JPG

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/2551-3/DSCN0259.JPG

That's a shit-load of cherry! Do want!!!

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ETA:
Those pics are taking forever to load and going to kill the thread..use just the link, plz.

fixed –– my bad, wrong links.  should load quick now.

ar-jedi

Rog..thanks..Will edit my post.

I have NOTHING that big, btw. I got most of them cut into 12-18 peices ready to split and burn in my family room or living room fireplaces or in our pit out back.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not if you count the part of the OP that states "I deal with tendinitis and I don't want to aggravate it with my axe or other driven splitters." He'd do a bit, then he'd be down.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if you count the part of the OP that states "I deal with tendinitis and I don't want to aggravate it with my axe or other driven splitters." He'd do a bit, then he'd be down.  

5 days a week in the gym, I have more ACE elbow wraps than I know what to do...and with the hockey season starting up again, it is in my left elbow, guess which way I shoot?

Shots and MRI's..Ice, naproxen...been dealing with it for a long time.

Some days I can't even turn a door knob
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

settle down john henry

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I've seen it before.  I just figured it would be painfully slow.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

settle down john henry

The mountains cavin' in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#28]
They work well, however, in my experience they get stolen a lot.

Buddy rigged his up with wheels and a 2" trailer coupler so he can pull it around.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#29]
In the old country, my people would make a giant pile of timber for midsummer's fest.

They would sit around it and feast and tell stories, then, when they were ready to make firewood, one of the elders would rise up, walk over to the enormous pile of wood, and lob a Glock into it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

easy there paul bunyon
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Maul and wedge? Pussy. I just rip it in half with my hands.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Harbor freight?

I hope it lasts longer than one split before it self destructs.

then post pics of the resulting carnage

I hope you get lots of use out of that, but it's been my experience that any thing from harbor freight is a one time use item
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In the old country, my people would make a giant pile of timber for midsummer's fest.

They would sit around it and feast and tell stories, then, when they were ready to make firewood, one of the elders would rise up, walk over to the enormous pile of wood, and lob a Glock into it.

Might be cost effective.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate splitting wood.  The first time I ever did it was with a sledge and a wedge.  

My dad took off work and had been splitting all day.  I get home from school, he lets me try it out.

On my first log, I nail the wedge square on, split the log, and a piece of metal splinters off the corner of the wedge.  

Where else would it go but straight into my knee?
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I had that model.

I hope you have a really strong back.

After one day of having to pick up each log and set it on the rail, I rented a towed, gas/hydraulic unit for $50/day.   It was 10 times faster and I could kneel upright and just roll the logs into position.   It also had a 12" wedge, great for splitting larger rounds that the HF model couldn't.   It required much less physical effort, so I could split wood for 12 hours and not get worn out.

ETA - If your wood is not completely dried out, the HF model is going to be miserable to use.   It will take much more physical effort on your part to move the levers, and the wood won't split cleanly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I am surprised to hear it works as quickly as you say.

Most of the harbor freight hydraulic items are painfully slow to use. My engine hoist seems to take a week and a half of pumping the handle to get it fully extended.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#37]
You should make one of these. It looks completely safe to use.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am surprised to hear it works as quickly as you say.

Most of the harbor freight hydraulic items are painfully slow to use. My engine hoist seems to take a week and a half of pumping the handle to get it fully extended.

It was slow to get it out, but once tension is on the wood, she splits nice...thats why I wont release it all the way.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what kind of wood?

ar-jedi

all that beautiful wood...for firewood.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Harbor freight?

I hope it lasts longer than one split before it self destructs.

then post pics of the resulting carnage

I hope you get lots of use out of that, but it's been my experience that any thing from harbor freight is a one time use item

you should go read this thread.  Lots of good stuff there!
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Looks like a major accident waiting to happen  

I have access to a gas powered. I find it is actually less work to use my "blaster". Much faster too. I welded a 2" square tube to an axe head for weight and to protect the handle. For more weight I welded a hatchet head to the side, making a battle axe....(wear steel toed boots, I've had a coupla near misses)....I can stand a row and split several without stopping. Go back down the row and set them back up, do another series.......works great. 3X as fast as the gas powered. Get my cardio workout too.
Easier on the back, no lifting of heavy rounds. Even just up to that low hydraulic splitter will get you a sore back quick. I've got back injuries but I find the splitting by hand makes it stronger with less pain than using the powered units.
I never bother with the gas unit anymore.
It also makes the work easier in the woods, I can split the heavier stuff before loading.
Another trick of mine is to cut as long as I can comfortably lift to save "bendovers" I can cut them to length at the house. I can get much more wood out of the forest in much less time that way.
I have one of those antique log rolling tools, don't remember the name, that helps keep my chainsaw out of the dirt. I can cut most the way through, roll the log and then finish several cuts, no risk of getting the chain in dirt, other than one cut to cut to length. I can also use the spike on the end to remove bark that is full of dirt. Helps keep the chain sharp. Hope I gave you some ideas.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I have seen that before, but never would have considered getting one from Harbor Freight.  Since you have good things to say about it though, I think I may pick one up too.  $80 is a lot easier to swallow than the $1400 my friend just spent on his tow-behind gas splitter.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

settle down john henry

The mountains cavin' in.
I think the smart-ass fable character you were looking for was Paul Bunyan.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And another. not sure which is more likely to cause death and dimemberment....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1HZztie5ac&NR=1

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what kind of wood?

ar-jedi

all that beautiful wood...for firewood.  
My first thought was 'why?'

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Harbor Freight sucks, I haven't even found anything worth hauling out of that place for free.  That and the place stinks like lead paint and cheap plastic or uncured rubber, must be what fail smells like.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And another. not sure which is more likely to cause death and dimemberment....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1HZztie5ac&NR=1

That screw looks like a good idea. What would happen if it catches his clothes or he slipped and bumped the spike? Either way that might end up looking like that lathe accident.........

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

all that beautiful wood...for firewood.  My first thought was 'why?'

Cuz he aint growin diesel trees.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:45:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a good friend, may he rest in peace, who had one like that only it was powered by a PTO on his tractor.  He was splitting logs, got his pants tangled in it, and it tore off his balls.  The sad part is he lived like that for several years until something else finally killed him.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

all that beautiful wood...for firewood.  My first thought was 'why?'

Cuz he aint growin diesel trees.

you realize one bf of quality cherry or black walnut is easily worth 2-3 gallons of diesel, right?  if a decent size tree yields 300 bf and it costs .40-0.50 bf to have a sawyer bring his mill and cut it, he is literally burning money.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top