Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
iirc, that was a suicide. one hell of a way to go, and to piss off the owner of the lathe too.

Not to mention the Cintas guy...that uniform is fuxxored.

Post of the day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
SOMBITSH
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Looks like he was wrapped up in work.

I'll be sending you the bill for a new keyboard.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuck.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like another organ donor!
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
That would be one amazingly disturbing thing if they caught this on video.

That wont buff out!
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
What's up Chuck?
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Did the remains stop the lathe or did some one else power it down?
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I going to lunch
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think the first option.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's no lathing matter.

That joke only makes sense if you have no clue how the word 'lathe' and its derivatives are pronounced.

It's pretty retarded as a joke even if you have that clue since we are discussing someone who died.

Edit: its vs. it's...I know better....

Oh jesus fucking christ.... really?   Are we going to bring the poor bastard back?

The way a lot of people deal with shit like this is to make lite of it.... you need to fucking relax or gtfo
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was a kid, I was working for the summer in my Uncle's machine shop. I was on a Bridgeport making some cuts for the feet on wheelchairs (the part you rest your feet on). The parts would go into a jig but not get viced down. I had been cutting parts all morning long with no problems. I got laxed, tossed a piece into the jig and started the cut without making sure the part was flush on the jig. The part caught the bit and became a big propeller and wacked my hand a few times. No damage, but made me respect the machine after that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for the guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I always keep my foot on the Brake Pedal when I am hands on with the lathe.

Not sure it would help if running at high speed, but If I am snagged and pulled towards it for some reason, my weight shifting forward onto my foot would hit the brake and stop the lathe.

How much damage would already be done at that point? I don't know. But I have seen someone get snagged in their lathe when I was in school. Luckily... he had his foot on the break, and only lost his sleeve (No blood was drawn, but one second longer and it could have been really bad).

I was also on a smaller lathe (doing barrel work) threading, polishing, crowning and such. Not quite as powerful as the lathe that appears in the picture, But potentially just as dangerous.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#15]
So who gets the fun job of cleaning that up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey I've been thinking about getting a small CNC lathe - anyone use a Sherline or Taig or one of those Chicom ones that Micro-Mark sells?

(btw, this thread underscores the need for a machining forum)
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey I've been thinking about getting a small CNC lathe - anyone use a Sherline or Taig or one of those Chicom ones that Micro-Mark sells?

You should get out of GD more :)

(although its "called" the gunsmithing forum)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=49
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Seconded, we do need a machining forum!

Former machinist checking in here.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think I see an eye in there.

Eye believe you're correct.

loose clothing is a no-no around machinery. some people learn it too late, and it's generally just about this bad.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Theres another pic floating around thats just as bad. A guy was standing behind a tire balancing machine at a tire retreading factory and the retread came off acting as a giant whip and ripped his head wide open exposing his brain all over the place. The tire was a big one for those 18 wheeler trucks. Made a nasty mess...
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#21]
No one goes to work expecting to die or be seriously hurt.  Unfortunately, it happens all too frequently.
I see photos of this kind of stuff all the time and occasionally have to investigate the accident.  I'm an OSHA inspector.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No one goes to work expecting to die or be seriously hurt.  Unfortunately, it happens all too frequently.

I see photos of this kind of stuff all the time and occasionally have to investigate the accident.  I'm an OSHA inspector.

I bet most of your calls are smashed or cut off fingers?

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe you can answer this... why did I have to wear a hard hat in a facility with a ceiling crane that was used to move 24 ton steel slabs?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be mistaken then.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wearing gloves while machining, other than operations like grinding, is stupid imo. Sure it will protect you from little cuts but it leads to people with missing hands/arms etc.

I've used them quite a big. I'm not too fond of getting red hot chips down my collar or thrown into my face(I have had them melt to my safety glasses/lip/neck/arm/etc.). Always seems to happen right about the time the feed needs to be disengaged too.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moving machinery is no joke. I got a gloved hand (stupid mistake wearing gloves) snagged in a 3/8-16 tap and nearly got my hand ripped off. I got lucky and only got a huge abrasion on the top of my hand where it dug into my skin before ripping the glove off.

This must be some right of passage when working with metal. It happened to me drilling some steel, and a nice spiral spun around and snagged on my glove while reaching or putting down the oil brush...next thing I know I am snapped into the drill press and fighting like hell to hit the stop button...never, ever, wear gloves.

As for the man on the Lathe....yikes.

Long chips mean you're doing it wrong. They are more of a hazard than the moving machine parts.

Oh, everybody runs long chips when drilling. I try to break them at about 1' most times unless I'm in a hurry.

There are some materials that just don't like to break chips I dont care what chip breaker or how heavy the feed. 304 or TI anyone?

I hate stainless.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
motherofgod.jpg

I remember reading about him from a wiki list of unusual deaths (robot guy) - never bothered to google the picture though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#29]
ouch... Maybe needs two bandages
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ever hear about Kenji?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Urada

<a href="http://img833.imageshack.us/i/kenji.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8108/kenji.jpg</a>

The OP's & this one looks like it must of hurt all the way till the end!
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Moving machinery is no joke. I got a gloved hand (stupid mistake wearing gloves) snagged in a 3/8-16 tap and nearly got my hand ripped off. I got lucky and only got a huge abrasion on the top of my hand where it dug into my skin before ripping the glove off.

This must be some right of passage when working with metal. It happened to me drilling some steel, and a nice spiral spun around and snagged on my glove while reaching or putting down the oil brush...next thing I know I am snapped into the drill press and fighting like hell to hit the stop button...never, ever, wear gloves.

Long chips mean you're doing it wrong. They are more of a hazard than the moving machine parts.

Oh, everybody runs long chips when drilling. I try to break them at about 1' most times unless I'm in a hurry.

There are some materials that just don't like to break chips I dont care what chip breaker or how heavy the feed. 304 or TI anyone?

I hate stainless.

Not a machinist myself, but do a lot of hobby work with metal. Stainless sure as hell sucks to work with, especially in your garage when you are limited by budget and consumer grade tools. I've found that even 1008 mild steel is irritating to drill because the chips are usually long and stringy. Whatever Jacobs uses for its arbors is a joy to work with. I had to drill an arbor to insert a cross pin for wedges to remove my 14N chuck and drilling that steel was like drilling C360 brass. I once had to drill 304L bar stock with a hand drill and it produced small chips, but now in a drill press I often get long curlies no matter what type of point and feed pressure I use.

Sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Just a quick thanks to the OP for making the pic a spoiler/hidden.

After reading the comments I think I'll pass on this one. Kind of interesting I was thinking of getting a small lathe, but I want to keep my appendages.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not sure it would help if running at high speed, but If I am snagged and pulled towards it for some reason, my weight shifting forward onto my foot would hit the brake and stop the lathe.

How much damage would already be done at that point? I don't know. But I have seen someone get snagged in their lathe when I was in school. Luckily... he had his foot on the break, and only lost his sleeve (No blood was drawn, but one second longer and it could have been really bad).

I was also on a smaller lathe (doing barrel work) threading, polishing, crowning and such. Not quite as powerful as the lathe that appears in the picture, But potentially just as dangerous.

15 years in machine shops and I've never seen a lathe with a foot brake...........................

Look at the size of chuck and part  on that lathe and then imagine all the gearing that that motor has to turn. There's no way grinding up a soft human body was gonna stop it. Someone had to kill it. Considering his sleeve isn't wrapped around the part that many times I'd imagine whoever stopped it was standing right there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#34]
that there is why you want to wear tight fitting clothing while working around machinery.

J-
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Holy shit... get rid of the loose clothes kids.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Loose clothing, I presume?

Well, yeah, but the accident looks to be the result of running the spindle backwards. Gotta be really careful when performing operations that require reversing the spindle... he got his arm caught on something and it pulled him over the workpiece, then the chuck battered his skull.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Machines can be dangerous... even the little ones.

I had a close call with an industrial drill press many years ago...  cleaning drill chips away from the bit with leather gloves on. The drill was running but not cutting. I reached under the bit and dusted off the work-piece and just like that... the drill bit caught my glove and started trying to wrap my hand around it. Luckily I reacted instantly by making a fist and pulling away. I actually tore the two halves of the glove apart... but not before the bit put a nice shallow 1/2" diameter hole in the top of my right hand. It scared the fucking crap outta me because it happened so fast and unexpectedly.

NEVER use gloves around a moving spindle or blade...  

We just had a know-it-all project engineer/follow up guy grind half of all 4 fingers off by wearing gloves while using a disc sander at work.  The glove caught and dragged his fingers into the gap between the 24"disc and the table. The force moved the table out a little and he was stuck there  until someone came with a wrench and removed the table. His skin was melted into the sanding disk....
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Taggage for home when I can see it.

I do lathe work, so I have to see this, even if it's
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#39]
This is what mostly likely happened on the lathe incident.

1. He was turning that solid round bar at high speed.

2. Whats known as a "Curly cue" started to develop. (This is a long sharp steel shaving that starts to grow as your cutting into the bar).

3. As the curly cue grew he leaned over to break the shaving with his glove.

4. As he whacked the curly cue with his glove the shaving caught onto his glove (probably started to snag it or rip it or both).

5. As he leaned in more to pull his hand out of the way since the shaving was wrapping around his hand his left shoulder leaned into the large chuck.

6. The chuck now caught onto his loose shirt by his shoulder. As soon as as it caught his left shoulder it was able to wrap around the spinning chuck pulling his body into the bar.

7. Once it caught him and started pulling him in getting a firm grip on his shirt it pulled him instantly causing the chuck to strike his head at high speed.

8. For a second the guy knew he was in trouble and panicking might have caused him to lean into the chuck on the left side. On most lathes there an emergency stop pedal that runs along the bottom of the lathe don't know if this one had one though.

Nowadays at most machine shops you will see machinist duct tape there sleeves when there working around machine lathes etc especially if there going to be cutting a lot of steel. Also I see machinist use long skinny pieces of solid rod to use to break the curly cue's instead of using there hand which can save you from being cut if it grabs onto you.

This is a good picture to learn from so you can see how simple it is to get hurt while working on heavy equipment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#40]
oh

my

god
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Not a good way for things to turn out...
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate stainless.

Not a machinist myself, but do a lot of hobby work with metal. Stainless sure as hell sucks to work with, especially in your garage when you are limited by budget and consumer grade tools. I've found that even 1008 mild steel is irritating to drill because the chips are usually long and stringy. Whatever Jacobs uses for its arbors is a joy to work with. I had to drill an arbor to insert a cross pin for wedges to remove my 14N chuck and drilling that steel was like drilling C360 brass. I once had to drill 304L bar stock with a hand drill and it produced small chips, but now in a drill press I often get long curlies no matter what type of point and feed pressure I use.

Sorry for the hijack.
The "L" in 304L is for leaded. It makes it free (er) machining. When a print just specs "300" series SS, I'll always spend the extra money on 303. It is a breeze to cut and easier on the tools.

When you're drilling, you need to "peck" the hole. You raise the spindle as soon as the chips are longer than you want them and then go back to drilling.

Stainless is bad, until you cut titanium alloy or inconel.

A hint for your brass drills (also works for ampco aka aluminum bronze as well as regular bronze). Grind a tiny flat on the face of the cutting edge so that there is no positive rake that is provided by the flute. This will keep the drill from sucking into the material. It works very well. It's a necessity on ampco.

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 years in machine shops and I've never seen a lathe with a foot brake...........................

Look at the size of chuck and part  on that lathe and then imagine all the gearing that that motor has to turn. There's no way grinding up a soft human body was gonna stop it. Someone had to kill it. Considering his sleeve isn't wrapped around the part that many times I'd imagine whoever stopped it was standing right there.

Some smaller manual lathes have a foot pedal. I agree that someone killed the power.

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This is what mostly likely happened on the lathe incident.

1. He was turning that solid round bar at high speed.

2. Whats known as a "Curly cue" started to develop. (This is a long sharp steel shaving that starts to grow as your cutting into the bar).

3. As the curly cue grew he leaned over to break the shaving with his glove.

4. As he whacked the curly cue with his glove the shaving caught onto his glove (probably started to snag it or rip it or both).

5. As he leaned in more to pull his hand out of the way since the shaving was wrapping around his hand his left shoulder leaned into the large chuck.

6. The chuck now caught onto his loose shirt by his shoulder. As soon as as it caught his left shoulder it was able to wrap around the spinning chuck pulling his body into the bar.

7. Once it caught him and started pulling him in getting a firm grip on his shirt it pulled him instantly causing the chuck to strike his head at high speed.

8. For a second the guy knew he was in trouble and panicking might have caused him to lean into the chuck on the left side. On most lathes there an emergency stop pedal that runs along the bottom of the lathe don't know if this one had one though.

Nowadays at most machine shops you will see machinist duct tape there sleeves when there working around machine lathes etc especially if there going to be cutting a lot of steel. Also I see machinist use long skinny pieces of solid rod to use to break the curly cue's instead of using there hand which can save you from being cut if it grabs onto you.

This is a good picture to learn from so you can see how simple it is to get hurt while working on heavy equipment.

I've got 24 years in tool shops. I've never seen anybody duct tape thier sleeves.

Lathes that big don't generally have a foot brake.

Nobody with any experience at all EVER grabs a chip big enough to drag you into a machine with their hand, glove or not. Chips like that will slice through even a welding glove like it wasn't there and contintue on into your hand.

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#45]
thats why i pay adco to mess w/ my barrels
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll bet not.  I'd bet it would have kept right on trucking and slapping the pile of goo with the flapping remains of skin wound around it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's why I do all my machining naked.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#48]
:puke:

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have. I've run them..have one out in my shop actually.

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I do all my machining naked.

The only way this could be better, would be if ADCO had made this reply instead... Instant epic.

TR85.

Page / 6
Top Top