Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
B25?

It looks like the tail feathers have the stabilizers at the ends instead of one in the middle.

Too small. B-25s had tail gunners or observation "blisters" at the tail as well.

Yeah, I went back and looked, def. not a B25.

Early B-25's did not have a tail turret.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool pics,but what is a "holler", is it like "over yonder" or a terrain feature ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I looked and its not a Mohawk or Bronco
Mohawk had three tails sections
Bronco had tail only above fins

I was going to go for a B-25  but no tail gunner
I'll dig some more

I could believe a Transport Hudson
Since it did not have the Blister just in front of the tail
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like some sort of target drone?

If so, why would it be in the middle of the national forest??

If i remember correctly Dolly Sods was used as a target range but I think that was for artillery but I am sure this might be some sort of spillover from that.  I am not sure at what point in history that was done but you will see signs warning of unexploded ordinance and in the official trail guide there are some warnings.  By the way I love the country down there of all the different places to backpack in the area that my wife and I tried we always ended up going back there.  For us the big draws were always Dolly Sods and Otter Creek.

Yes, Dolly Sods was used for artillery and mortar practice.  No anti-aircraft training went on in WV that I know of......

I'm thinking maybe a AF plane being used by the FS back in the day, for forest fire lookout???
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It is not an Aircoupe.

The army air corp did play with a few, even some jato pics out there.

An ercoupe had fabric over aluminum wings, also looks like a much larger aircraft.

Cool destination
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
That will not buff out...... Cool find none the less, reminds me of the time I went hiking in the ADK mountains, 7 miles off a trail I found a slipper
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Click this internet holler for a plane crash database:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty cool

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So did you grab a souvenir to add to this thread?

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
do you have the GPS coordinates of the wreck????  I would like to check it out on my next trip up there.   And also, what do you mean you found it on google Earth?
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#12]
It is definitely a Beechcraft Air Force C-45G or H model that went through airframe upgrade in the early 50's I can tell from the shot of the landing gear. It has the late model landing gear. I started flying those type airplanes in 1965. I restored my own (SNB-5 / UC-45J) in 1986 and am still flying it today.

More than 5,000 were built during WWII for the military. They were used as AT-11 Bombardier, Navigator and AT-7 Pilot Trainers. Also used as Utility Transport. A small number were sent to the Chinese before U.S. entered the war and actually were small Bombers. Navy called them SNB.
Another 4,000+ were civilian/corporate/air taxi/freighter. Production line operated from 1937 to 1969. Civilians called them a Twinbeech or Beech18.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a Beech C-45 Expeditor. The USAF used these until 1963.  In fact it might be this one, Bakalar Air Force Base C-45H Expeditor aircraft number 52-10571A that was lost in a September 7, 1958 crash in West Virginia. Lost in the crash were Major George A. Smith and Captain Edward E. Holtkamp USAF pilots from Bakalar Air Force Base, along with CAP Major William A. Hamilton and his wife CAP Captain Marjorie Hamilton of Huntington, West Virginia. A T-34 search plane also from Bakalar crashed during the search for the C-45, injuring two more Air Force personnel from the air base. It was a number of days before the C-45 crash site was located and the bodies recovered. Marjorie Hamilton survived the crash and lived for 24 hours or more after the crash but perished before the crash site was discovered.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Three minutes.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
What about a Lockheed 18?

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]
is this it?

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001214X43197&key=1

Accident occurred Thursday, June 30, 1983 in KEYSER, WV
Aircraft: BEECH G18S, registration: N215W
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
THE MANAGER OF BLACKHAWK AIRWAYS HAD CLEARED THE FLT FOR A 1000 EDT DEPARTURE, BUT THE ACTUAL TAKEOFF TIME WAS NOT ESTABLISHED. NO RECORD OF A PREFLT WX BRIEFING WAS FOUND. HOWEVER, DURING A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION PRIOR TO THE FLT, THE PLT INDICATED TO HIS MANAGER THAT THE CLOUDS WOULD BE LOWER IN THE MOUNTAINS. AT APRX 1030, GROUND WITNESSES OBSERVED AN ACFT, MATCHING THE DESCRIPTION OF N215W, CIRCLING BENEATH THE CLOUDS AT KEYSER, WV, THEN DEPART TO THE SOUTHWEST. WHEN THE ACFT DID NOT ARRIVE AT ITS DESTINATION, A SEARCH WAS BEGUN. IT WAS FOUND WHERE IT HAD IMPACTED RISING TERRAIN APRX 6 MI SOUTHWEST OF KEYSER. THE IMPACT OCCURRED ON A 26 DEG SLOPE, AT APRX THE 3000 FT LEVEL, JUST BELOW A 3104 FT PEAK. THE ACFT WAS CLIMBING WHEN IT IMPACTED WOODED TERRAIN. A PLT/MECHANICAL, WHO OPERATED AN ARPT APRX 3 MI SOUTHEAST OF KEYSER, REPORTED THERE WAS FOG IN THE MORNING HRS WITH A CEILING OF ABOUT 2000 FT UNTIL MIDDAY & THAT THE MOUNTAIN TOPS IN THE VICINITY OF THE CRASH SITE WERE OBSCURED.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]
If that happened today, the environmental POLICE would make them remove every scrap, and return the forest to it's "PRESTINE" condition....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is definitely a Beechcraft Air Force C-45G or H model that went through airframe upgrade in the early 50's I can tell from the shot of the landing gear. It has the late model landing gear. I started flying those type airplanes in 1965. I restored my own (SNB-5 / UC-45J) in 1986 and am still flying it today.

More than 5,000 were built during WWII for the military. They were used as AT-11 Bombardier, Navigator and AT-7 Pilot Trainers. Also used as Utility Transport. A small number were sent to the Chinese before U.S. entered the war and actually were small Bombers. Navy called them SNB.
Another 4,000+ were civilian/corporate/air taxi/freighter. Production line operated from 1937 to 1969. Civilians called them a Twinbeech or Beech18.

You sir seem to be right on top of things.....I kinda guessed that was the landing gear i took the pic of....

You have any good pics of areas that i have of the crash, maybe we could compare them.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It should have a number on it, repeated on several places.

What is it?

4 8 15 16 23 42

The button, make sure you hit it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]

There was a hiking trail in Tucson I used to go on, that had an f-86 sabrejet crash still there.  It was reportedly a mid-air collision with another.  It had never been removed.

It was pretty cool to hike by that.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
is this it?

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001214X43197&key=1

Accident occurred Thursday, June 30, 1983 in KEYSER, WV
Aircraft: BEECH G18S, registration: N215W
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
THE MANAGER OF BLACKHAWK AIRWAYS HAD CLEARED THE FLT FOR A 1000 EDT DEPARTURE, BUT THE ACTUAL TAKEOFF TIME WAS NOT ESTABLISHED. NO RECORD OF A PREFLT WX BRIEFING WAS FOUND. HOWEVER, DURING A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION PRIOR TO THE FLT, THE PLT INDICATED TO HIS MANAGER THAT THE CLOUDS WOULD BE LOWER IN THE MOUNTAINS. AT APRX 1030, GROUND WITNESSES OBSERVED AN ACFT, MATCHING THE DESCRIPTION OF N215W, CIRCLING BENEATH THE CLOUDS AT KEYSER, WV, THEN DEPART TO THE SOUTHWEST. WHEN THE ACFT DID NOT ARRIVE AT ITS DESTINATION, A SEARCH WAS BEGUN. IT WAS FOUND WHERE IT HAD IMPACTED RISING TERRAIN APRX 6 MI SOUTHWEST OF KEYSER. THE IMPACT OCCURRED ON A 26 DEG SLOPE, AT APRX THE 3000 FT LEVEL, JUST BELOW A 3104 FT PEAK. THE ACFT WAS CLIMBING WHEN IT IMPACTED WOODED TERRAIN. A PLT/MECHANICAL, WHO OPERATED AN ARPT APRX 3 MI SOUTHEAST OF KEYSER, REPORTED THERE WAS FOG IN THE MORNING HRS WITH A CEILING OF ABOUT 2000 FT UNTIL MIDDAY & THAT THE MOUNTAIN TOPS IN THE VICINITY OF THE CRASH SITE WERE OBSCURED.

NO, definatly not it, I'm pretty good ways south of Keyser
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks like a Beech C-45 Expeditor. The USAF used these until 1963.  In fact it might be this one, Bakalar Air Force Base C-45H Expeditor aircraft number 52-10571A that was lost in a September 7, 1958 crash in West Virginia. Lost in the crash were Major George A. Smith and Captain Edward E. Holtkamp USAF pilots from Bakalar Air Force Base, along with CAP Major William A. Hamilton and his wife CAP Captain Marjorie Hamilton of Huntington, West Virginia. A T-34 search plane also from Bakalar crashed during the search for the C-45, injuring two more Air Force personnel from the air base. It was a number of days before the C-45 crash site was located and the bodies recovered. Marjorie Hamilton survived the crash and lived for 24 hours or more after the crash but perished before the crash site was discovered.

You have a source of that info, it seems it could be possible.......  Although, the FS roads were here in the 1950's, they were built by the CCC in the 30's

The mountain it is on is Middle Mountain, if that helps anyone....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't find any records of a C-45 (Air Force C-45 I mean) crashing.  Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just can't find info.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/crash

P-51D Crash site

I am going there in late October.  It is quite a slog to get to.

Nice!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Most definitely a Beech 18. My dad flew one of those across the Atlantic once. He thought he was going to have to ditch, so he told his copilot to double check on the emergency equipment in back; turns out it was all marked "for training purposes only". He decided not to ditch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#27]
http://www.atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/

Museum website for the Bakalar Air Force Base museum in Indiana.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://www.atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/

Museum website for the Bakalar Air Force Base museum in Indiana.

Thank you, I may see if I can dig more up......
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Cool find.
There is a B47 crash site about 6 miles south of me in the middle of the woods.  Happened in the 60s.  A guy I work with claims to know exactly where it is.  I'd like to take a hike out there some day.

Yes, the USAF knows where it is and cleaned up most of the wreckage.  But the canopy and some shreds of metal are still around I hear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Not listed there.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cool pics,but what is a "holler", is it like "over yonder" or a terrain feature ?

hol·ler 2 (hlr)
adj., v. & n. Chiefly Upper Southern U.S.
Variant of hollow.
Regional Note: One feature of Upper Southern English and specifically of Appalachian English is its pronunciation of the final unstressed syllable in words such as hollow, window, and potato as (r). Holler, winder, and tater are merely variant pronunciations reflected in spelling. As a noun, holler has the specific meaning in the Appalachians of "a small valley between mountains": They live up in the holler underneath Big Bald Mountain

Around here hollow means it has nothing in it.

With aluminum bringing .45 cents/lb. I wouldn't pack it to far. That's probably why it's still there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#34]

That appears to be the story, of the crash above.  That is NOT the plane, this crash would be in Randolph county....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hol·ler 2 (hlr)
adj., v. & n. Chiefly Upper Southern U.S.
Variant of hollow.
Regional Note: One feature of Upper Southern English and specifically of Appalachian English is its pronunciation of the final unstressed syllable in words such as hollow, window, and potato as (r). Holler, winder, and tater are merely variant pronunciations reflected in spelling. As a noun, holler has the specific meaning in the Appalachians of "a small valley between mountains": They live up in the holler underneath Big Bald Mountain

Around here hollow means it has nothing in it.

With aluminum bringing .45 cents/lb. I wouldn't pack it to far. That's probably why it's still there.

There you go

Holy shit they have a redneck dictionary
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Huh. I'm only finding references to 3 military C-45 crashes in WV. 2 at airports, and the one mentioned above. It's possible that it was a civilian plane that still had military markings.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Huh. I'm only finding references to 3 military C-45 crashes in WV. 2 at airports, and the one mentioned above. It's possible that it was a civilian plane that still had military markings.

Or possibly a AF plane given to the Forest service.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Interesting find.  Look up Elephant Mountain here in Maine.  Another Air Force crash.  7 fatalities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_Elephant_Mountain_B-52_crash
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It was about 150yds up a holler off the trial I was hiking in a dry creek......

You ain't from around here are ya?
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Too cool.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.stinsonflyer.com/prop/be18-31.jpg

Thank You big time for that pic!!!!!!

It all adds up, right down to the black rubber material on the leading edge of the wing......

I can tell from a pic of the plane, alot of it has been hauled off over the years.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#44]
That's pretty neat!

When I saw the thread title I would have bet money that you were hiking near the Peaks of Otter on the Blue Ridge Parkway about an hour or so from Roanoke, VA.    There is a crash sight on the side of the mountain that you can walk to if you know where to look.   IIRC it is from WW2 as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I guess up north it would be called a ravine or maybe a small valley

Over yonder is about a half of ovair   = distance

Good God, always edemucatin the yanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#46]

That is the google earth image!  I found this plane, just by seeing this pic, figuring out it was near my trail, and went looking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Virtually all aircraft of the era had the black rubber on the leading edge of the wing.  It's de-icing equipment.  I'm not discounting the ID based on that fact, though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow, that's cool as hell. I mean, not cool that a plane crashed but that you can hike to the wreckage.

Did you find some bags of reefer in the hull? If so, share them with your sexy hiking partner who's a romance author.

lol,  I thought the same thing after reading the thread title...  Weren't there some dead dudes in there as well?
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Virtually all aircraft of the era had the black rubber on the leading edge of the wing. It's de-icing equipment. I'm not discounting the ID based on that fact, though.

Isn't it an airbladder that pumps up to expand and break the ice up?
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top