Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like the upgrades will really help the power issue.  Pipes and filter intake...what else?  What can I expect to spend on those two upgrades all told? If they are as essential as they sound, I want to go ahead and factor them in.

Better seat, larger tank.  And you are done.

Thanks, I appreciate your input throughout this thread, along with the others who have offered intelligent thoughts.

Unless you have the build of a spider monkey (because 883s are smaller), they are in an odd sweet spot –– they do what they do well and they don't really do anything badly.  They are a great bike for people who aren't doing odd things (like riding to Alaska, tomorrow) or dealing with various personality issues (the people in this thread who seem to have gender identification problems based on engine displacement).  They actually remind me a lot of older Hondas singles in a way –– they don't have a lot of power, but they really do everything pretty well.  Sort of the .257 Roberts of bikes, if you will.  Buy it, fix a few things if you want (or not) (the fuel tank was an issue with me because I would ride all night to Taos from Houston if I felt the urge), and RIDE IT and HAVE FUN.  And have that fun more cheaply, too.  More money for good tires, good beer, and your broker at Merrill.

Words of wisdom.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think most women want to sport an 883 much less a grown man..

Buy a used Wideglide or 1200

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like the upgrades will really help the power issue.  Pipes and filter intake...what else?  What can I expect to spend on those two upgrades all told? If they are as essential as they sound, I want to go ahead and factor them in.

If you're dead set on the 883, this is my recommendation as well.

Not necessarily dead set on the 883, but cost is a huge factor.  I am dead set on that understated look, and those matte colors.  (Maybe, by default, I AM deadset on the 883.)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're dead set on the 883, this is my recommendation as well.

Not necessarily dead set on the 883, but cost is a huge factor.  I am dead set on that understated look, and those matte colors.  (Maybe, by default, I AM deadset on the 883.)

Turning the question around –– let's look at what an 883 does poorly:

size –– it's smaller
power –– it's 40 bhp or so
more limited handling than a superbike

And that's pretty much it.  The tank was an issue with me, it may not be for you.  Seats are probably better now than they were in the late '80s.

Do you have any needs that require –– absolutely require –– more power, size, and handling?  If not, you are good to go.

And I liked those old Honda singles for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I posted about my 883 earlier in the thread.  One thing I would add.  I rode it from southern Iowa all the way to Sturgis 05 in 2 days.  750 miles the first day and 450 the second day.  It wasn't too bad.  Not great fun but it was doable.  At certain points, I had to get off and walk around every 60 miles to get my butt back down to my waist.  I had the peanut tank also and had to fill up every 120 miles which in South Dakota was a pain because I ended up running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.  A nice DOT lady in a truck had gas and filled me up and wouldn't accept a dime.  

A good seat is mandatory, like a Mustang or Corbin.  It really cruised around town great and I really have missed it.  Not enough to spend the coin to get it though.  

I love my current 06 KLR 650 so much that it takes care of the itch.

Patrick
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I posted about my 883 earlier in the thread.  One thing I would add.  I rode it from southern Iowa all the way to Sturgis 05 in 2 days.  750 miles the first day and 450 the second day.  It wasn't too bad.  Not great fun but it was doable.  At certain points, I had to get off and walk around every 60 miles to get my butt back down to my waist.  I had the peanut tank also and had to fill up every 120 miles which in South Dakota was a pain because I ended up running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.  A nice DOT lady in a truck had gas and filled me up and wouldn't accept a dime.  

A good seat is mandatory, like a Mustang or Corbin.  It really cruised around town great and I really have missed it.  Not enough to spend the coin to get it though.  

I love my current 06 KLR 650 so much that it takes care of the itch.

Patrick

Thanks for that, Patrick.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know there are riders on here as well as Harley haters. I am having a hard time talking myself out of one of these.  It looks to be a no frills, no nonsense, cruiser for a great price.  I know HD is facing serious economic woes, as well.  $7999 is a great price point, and its a great looking machine, IMO.  
I am 6'0", 185 pounds.  Is this frame too small for a man of my stature?  I dont want to dwarf the bike when Im on it and look silly.  Anyone have experience with this model?  Any and all comments would be appreciated

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/iron-883.html

Update-Thanks for the input guys. Now that I know I can get intelligent thoughts, I will expound. I will not be taking any trips in it at all. I am in Lubbock TX which is fairly isolated. Not going to Amarillo by morning. This will be used as a alternative means to get around town, to work, or cruise at night. If I can get 150 miles off of one tank, it will be much better MPG than my tahoe! I am concerned about the lack of power it may have, but at that price point, shouldnt I be willing to compromise?

Many have mentioned the 1200. One of the main draws of the Iron is its look. By my knowledge, the features of the iron, denim colors, etc arent available on a 1200, are they? I see the nightster, close, but not exact. I love that understated, matte color of the iron. I know it seems like Im answering my own question, but I just wanted to shed a little light on the bikes intended use. %100 in town, cruising at 40 mph. Maybe get on the loop to get to the other side of town, at 60 mph.

As for the chick bike comments, Im not buying it to audition for Sons of Anarchy.... So...Jog on.

You couldn't have picked a better Harley for your intended purpose. And there is "something" about a Harley that no other bike has.

You certainly won't have to worry about hills in Lubbock!!!  

I've ridden a rubber mounted 883 Sportster some, and I was impressed. It had a lot more power than I was expecting and was more comfortable than I expected (I ride an '07 Electra Glide).

You will probably want to add forward controls, the stock mid controls won't allow you to stretch out.

If you decide that you need a 1200, all it takes is a big bore kit to convert any 883 to a 1200, bore the cylinders, install the new pistons and you have a 1200.

Also check out the new for 2011 Sportster Super Low, it is the same price $7999 and is a sharp looking bike too.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a pic of my 883.  This was before the air intake and pipe upgrades.  I forgot, I did add forward controls and you see them here.  It really was a lot of fun.  Still have the seat in the garage.

Patrick

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know there are riders on here as well as Harley haters. I am having a hard time talking myself out of one of these.  It looks to be a no frills, no nonsense, cruiser for a great price.  I know HD is facing serious economic woes, as well.  $7999 is a great price point, and its a great looking machine, IMO.  
I am 6'0", 185 pounds.  Is this frame too small for a man of my stature?  I dont want to dwarf the bike when Im on it and look silly.  Anyone have experience with this model?  Any and all comments would be appreciated

Update-Thanks for the input guys. Now that I know I can get intelligent thoughts, I will expound. I will not be taking any trips in it at all. I am in Lubbock TX which is fairly isolated. Not going to Amarillo by morning. This will be used as a alternative means to get around town, to work, or cruise at night. If I can get 150 miles off of one tank, it will be much better MPG than my tahoe! I am concerned about the lack of power it may have, but at that price point, shouldnt I be willing to compromise?

Many have mentioned the 1200. One of the main draws of the Iron is its look. By my knowledge, the features of the iron, denim colors, etc arent available on a 1200, are they? I see the nightster, close, but not exact. I love that understated, matte color of the iron. I know it seems like Im answering my own question, but I just wanted to shed a little light on the bikes intended use. %100 in town, cruising at 40 mph. Maybe get on the loop to get to the other side of town, at 60 mph.

As for the chick bike comments, Im not buying it to audition for Sons of Anarchy.... So...Jog on.

You couldn't have picked a better Harley for your intended purpose. And there is "something" about a Harley that no other bike has.

You certainly won't have to worry about hills in Lubbock!!!  

I've ridden a rubber mounted 883 Sportster some, and I was impressed. It had a lot more power than I was expecting and was more comfortable than I expected (I ride an '07 Electra Glide).

You will probably want to add forward controls, the stock mid controls won't allow you to stretch out.

If you decide that you need a 1200, all it takes is a big bore kit to convert any 883 to a 1200, bore the cylinders, install the new pistons and you have a 1200.

Also check out the new for 2011 Sportster Super Low, it is the same price $7999 and is a sharp looking bike too.

Thanks Warhawk! Yep, No hills on this caprock!!!! Maybe the wind will cut the already inadequate power in half though!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking scoot there Patrick!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I sort of wish I still had it but I ride this now.  It can take me most anywhere I want to go and living here in Colorado means some beautiful places.

Patrick
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sort of wish I still had it but I ride this now.  It can take me most anywhere I want to go and living here in Colorado means some beautiful places.

Patrick
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5610/hpim1280smaller.jpg

Green with envy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Not at all a Harley fan (I ride a Triumph Bonneville SE) But if you are set on Harley I really like there new Sportster 48. I has the blacked out look and retro style and MSRP at 10K and with the 1200 engine. Though you are only going to use it for commuting, your frame and weight may be better suited with something a little bigger engine wise. And as far as the chick bike thing, well if posters here feel they need machines to make them feel manly they have other issues that can't be help on any forum. And besides, whether you re-sell or keep the bike, you will be better off in the long run. Addiction is a word understated when it comes to Motorcycles. At least it was for me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not at all a Harley fan (I ride a Triumph Bonneville SE) But if you are set on Harley I really like there new Sportster 48. I has the blacked out look and retro style and MSRP at 10K and with the 1200 engine. Though you are only going to use it for commuting, your frame and weight may be better suited with something a little bigger engine wise. And as far as the chick bike thing, well if posters here feel they need machines to make them feel manly they have other issues that can't be help on any forum. And besides, whether you re-sell or keep the bike, you will be better off in the long run. Addiction is a word understated when it comes to Motorcycles. At least it was for me.

The people saying the chick bike thing are just parroting what they heard some RUB say.
They have probably never even set on a Sportster,  must less rode one.
I have seen more women riding Softails than any other Harley.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
The Sportster was my introduction to Harley.  Today's Sportster's are worlds ahead of the Ironheads I learned on...Get fuel injection.  Do n't worry about the 1200 stuff––you can do that later yourself, if you want to––and it isn't that expensive (just a jug/piston change).  My wife's 1200 (2003, carb) is actually faster than my 2005 Springer, because of the weight difference...but that's a little bit like comparing the two fastest taxis in town.

A Sportster is a great bike.  I'm too big for 'em, but they have solid brakes and a good power curve.  They're good looking without being flashy.  They're too small for me––but I would never have known that had I not been riding bigger bikes.  Don't listen to the haters!  Enjoy your ride––but ride it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
883s are slow.  Fine for an urban environment, but not much fun above ~45mph.

For allahs sake it's not a vespa!

Two of my buddies have 883's and they have no problem maintaining 80mph.  

Sporty's are a little rough at highway speeds because of the 5 speed, but the rubber motor mounts combat the majority of vibration

Passing someone on the interstate on an 883 doing 75mph+ is not a pleasant experience, hence my comment.  Of course they'll maintain interstate speeds, but they'll struggle to get there and feel like shit doing it.

The 883 is a dog.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#17]
My first harley was an 883 Low, Keep in mind I am 6' 230lbs. With mid controlls it was a little tight but once I got forward controlls on the bike was great. It had more than enough power to scare you if you wanted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If cost is the issue, buy a used bike.  You'll get more bike for your money.

$5k for an '01 XL 1200

$5.3k for an '03 883 with extras

$6.8k for an '07 Mean Streak

$10.5k for an '06 Nighrod VRSCD

You get the point.  If it's a Harley, you'll probably be accessorizing it somehow anyway.  When you're riding it, you won't notice half of the colors or chrome anyway.  You *will* notice that dog of an engine.  

A review, which you may or may not have seen.  

If you dig the matte black look, have you considered a Honda 919?  Certainly not a crotch rocket, but sportier than a Sportster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#19]
fwiw i just sold my 85 wide glide to a good friend of mine.  52k miles, apes, fishtails, solo seat, and a whole bunch of parts.  24/7 tech advice as well.

$5k

wasn't hurting for money... it was just sittting, and sitting, and sitting....

check craigslists... the market is flooded with HDs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Dude, you're going to look like you're on a moped.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Heads up...

that there is comin' from a woman, in case ya didn't know.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I will agree if you can find a used one you will be much better off. You want someone else to pay the "harley tax" (pipes, air cleaner, ect) this will save you a ton of money, keep in  mind pipes and air cleaner which you will want asap from a new bike will add $500-1000 to the total price.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks Warhawk! Yep, No hills on this caprock!!!! Maybe the wind will cut the already inadequate power in half though!

Make sure that you only consider '04 and up Sportys, that's when they went to the rubber mounted engine.

I believe it was '07 that they went to fuel injection, might double check that.

H-D has a promotion off and on where if you buy a new Sportster, and later want to trade up to a big twin, you get your full purchase price in trade on the Sportster.  You might ask about that at your Harley shop.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]
You had asked about the cost of upgrades. I can't speak highly enough about the difference my 883 had after pipes, air cleaner, and a re-jet of the carb. It really was a different bike. Now these prices were a few years ago (so my memory might suck), but I seem to recall the screaming eagle pipe (at the time made by vance and hines) to be around $300, the screaming eagle air kit was around $150, and the jet kit was under $100. Did the work myself with the help of a buddy who was a harly mechanic. Installation was easy and took probably two hours (and two beers a peice).

These days the 883 comes with fuel injection, so you are looking at a prgrammer instead of a jet kit, vance and hines is highly recomended by the local mechanics for a programmer and the cost is around $230. If you can't do the work yourself, the local shop should install all of this for $250 or less.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I've ridden for years...many years, and owned 'em all. Harleys, Triumphs, BSA's (yeah I'm old), Honda's, Kawasaki's, Montesa's, et al. Are there better engineered bikes for the same money? Yes...but they aren't Harleys. My current bike is an 09 Road Glide.

I ridden quite a few Sportsters and they are good bikes. They're fun, easy to ride, and best of all they're Harleys. At your height you will want the forward controls, and maybe a better seat. Other than that you'll find it easy to love a Sportster.

If money is your major concern you can probably find what you're looking for on the used market. In these times the dealers are starving for sales, but a private owner will probably sell for less. I'm not sure about Sportsters, but my 09 came with a 2 year warranty. If you buy a 2010 Sportster with a transferable warranty you'll have the best of both worlds for a reasonable price.

Eventually you'll want a bigger bike and the trade in value on a Sportster at your local dealer will be better than any of the off-brands.

I've been where you are and made the mistake of buying cheaper (like that 250 Ducati piece of shit). If you want a Harley and don't buy a Harley you'll be sorry later. Shop, compare and don't be afraid to offer a low ball figure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Buy used.

Repeat.

BUY USED.

Of all my recent mistakes, buying a new motorcycle from the dealership ranks in the top 3.

Total waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, you are too big for it.

My wife rides a '93 883 hugger, I'm 5' 10" / 200lbs and I'm way to big for her bike... it feels "crowded" and while the 883 pulls ok it doesn't have the balls of a Big Twin. You need a Big Twin of whatever model suits your tastes.

eta: as others have said, there are great deals on craigslist from "distressed sellers", buy used, get the bike checked over by a shop pre-purchase and your golden.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#28]
In what world is an 800cc bike underpowered?

I've got a 500cc twin that deals with the freeway just fine, and it's got about the same horsepower and less torque than the 2008+ 883s.  The 883 has a weight penalty but the extra torque should make things comparable (and looking at 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers it seems they're in the same ballpark.)

So what gives?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#29]
The issue I had with my 883 was the small gas tank.  Of course, I also really liked the look of the small tank so I wound up stopping for fuel an awful lot.  The 883 is more of a short trip motorcycle than a long haul road burner.  They have plenty of power for that role.  You always have the option to warm it up a bit.

That's an awful lot of money for an 883.  I think I'd shop used and let someone else take the hit on the new price.  883's never really get top dollar and they certainly don't appreciate wildly in value because you have a few chrome doodads on it.  They're neat little bikes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#30]
The used market is stuffed with people selling toys and bikes seem like an item lots of people are willing to let go.  Prices seem very low as too few people out there to grab all the good deals so prices keep dropping and so does the supply.  I just wish I had about $10,000 as I would love a big Harley but right now I can't do it.  In a couple years a person could make more on a bike they they pay for it today assuming Obama doesn't make things worse before he gets deported out of the White House!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]
You mean one of these?

I went from a S50 to a S83 and then down sized to an 883, and never looked back. I'm not light either, and the power isn't horrible. The 1200 would have been nice, but 2 grand and a higher insurance premium wasn't worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Closest you will get to having a hardtail without actually having a hardtail. The suspension sucks, you will probaly only be able to ride for an hour before your ass is killing you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

My wife is 5'8" - 32" inseam - and has no trouble riding any of the 'Glides. Her preferred H-D dresser is the Electra Glide.

FWIW, she HATES the Sportster from both ergo and power standpoints.

I would look around for a used, near-stock Fat Boy, Heritage Softail or a Road King.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I agree with the concensus on here... I'm 6'2", 225 and I went through the same thought process years ago when I purchased my '99 Dyna Super Glide Sport (which actually just went up for sale in the EE for $7,500...Black on black on black, excellent condition). I was attracted to a Sportster for the same reason you stated; however, after riding my mother in law's 883 and then a Dyna, there was no going back. MUCH easier to ride, whether around town or across country, and MUCH more power. Just all around a more comfortable and more fun ride.  I love the blacked out, no-nonsense look of the Iron 883s but I would venture to say that you would outgrow it and be tired of the ride very, very quickly. At least look at an older Dyna and and Super Glide Sport (1999-2005) f you like the blacked out look. They can be had for around the same price, without the need for all the power add-ons
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look in the used market.  There are some great deals out there from distressed sellers for that kind of money.

For example:
This 2000 HARLEY DAVIDSON SOFT TAIL DEUCE on cragislist for $7,500.
http://images.craigslist.org/3k03of3ld5V45T35U1a9632905feb554a1359.jpg

This x's infinity
Everyone is dumping their toys right now. My boy picked up a used Big dog Pit Bull For 8k.
Don't limit your search to just your area and you will have more options. Also try biketrader.com.
Good luck, and yes you will be too large for a sporty. (No hate for them though, I personally love them all)

this
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You mean one of these?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/100_0228.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/100_0229.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/100_0233.jpg
I went from a S50 to a S83 and then down sized to an 883, and never looked back. I'm not light either, and the power isn't horrible. The 1200 would have been nice, but 2 grand and a higher insurance premium wasn't worth it to me.

Wow Hayden that is a beautiful piece of machinery.  That is exactly what Im talking about. How tall are you, sir? Would it be possible to see a pic of you on the iron? Either way, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people saying the chick bike thing are just parroting what they heard some RUB say.

Agreed.

My uncles is a "real" biker in every sense of the word. He rides pretty much year-round and does all the work to his bikes himself. I'm confident in saying he knows more about bikes that some dealers and probably 99% of the general public. One of his bikes is a Sportster and he rides it often. I'm pretty sure he doesn't consider it a "chick bike". I doubt he'd take too kindly to someone telling him that, either.

When I was looking at bikes, I sat on a Sportster and it really didn't fit me well. The Dyna was far better fit, for me. At the timem they were going for around $12k used and I wasn't looking to spend that on my first bike, so I ended up with a Boulevard C50. That bike has ruined me for a lot of others out there. I really like that bike.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean one of these?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/100_0228.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/100_0229.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/tboneguy915/100_0233.jpg

Wow Hayden that is a beautiful piece of machinery.  That is exactly what Im talking about. How tall are you, sir? Would it be possible to see a pic of you on the iron? Either way, thanks.

I'm 5'7". I'll see what I can do for pictures when I get home, I'll have to see if I can find some one to take the picture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Iron with all Screaming Eagle shit, forward controls, and 1200 conversion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#40]
If you get the Iron, put on a black Thunderheader pipe and a high flow air cleaner for increased performance.

Add black Progressive shocks and forward controls for comfort.

The Iron is a bad ass looking bike.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#41]
...and don't forget the Buell 1200 conversion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure that you only consider '04 and up Sportys, that's when they went to the rubber mounted engine.

I believe it was '07 that they went to fuel injection, might double check that.

H-D has a promotion off and on where if you buy a new Sportster, and later want to trade up to a big twin, you get your full purchase price in trade on the Sportster.  You might ask about that at your Harley shop.

I'm pretty sure this is correct.  I have an '06 that's EFI and my repair manual says EFI '07 - newer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

My uncles is a "real" biker in every sense of the word. He rides pretty much year-round and does all the work to his bikes himself. I'm confident in saying he knows more about bikes that some dealers and probably 99% of the general public. One of his bikes is a Sportster and he rides it often. I'm pretty sure he doesn't consider it a "chick bike". I doubt he'd take too kindly to someone telling him that, either.

When I was looking at bikes, I sat on a Sportster and it really didn't fit me well. The Dyna was far better fit, for me. At the timem they were going for around $12k used and I wasn't looking to spend that on my first bike, so I ended up with a Boulevard C50. That bike has ruined me for a lot of others out there. I really like that bike.

Good reply. I was actually looking at the Boulevard line of bikes myself before my buddy told me about Triumph's and that they are still around and better than before ( I like many a biker didn't think they made them anymore).  All the Boulevard's I sat on felt like they had great balance and comfort going for them and all at a decent price.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
883 = BITCH BIKE BUY IT IF YOU WANT TO BE LAUGHED AT

ya comming from a guy that don't even ride I bet. what a lousy thing to say
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've got a 500cc twin that deals with the freeway just fine, and it's got about the same horsepower and less torque than the 2008+ 883s.  The 883 has a weight penalty but the extra torque should make things comparable (and looking at 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers it seems they're in the same ballpark.)

So what gives?

I saw this in a Mustang thread not too long ago.

The new base model Mustang is rated at 305 horsepower and comes with a 6-speed.

But don't get it, because it's a V6 chick car and the V8 is faster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what gives?

See. now I actually wanna go down to the HD dealer and ride one, just to see what's bullshit and what isn't.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Sportsters are fun bikes. I'm 6'3", 240, and rode an 883 all last year. Nimble, great around town. Fun.

For a big guy though, they suck for any distance. They lack power for highway speed. And as you see in ARFCOM motorcycle threads, you WILL be judged. "You're too big for it... It's a girl's bike.... Not a real Harley....etc"

But hell, if you ride *any* Harley, you'll be judged anyway. "Poser.... not a real rider.... "douche"....."

This year I got a Fat Boy. I'm now more comfortable on the longer rides, like the extra power, especially on the highway. Not quite as nimble. I'm overall happier, which is all that matters to me.

There will always be some "Junior HS Girl"-mentality that will criticize whatever you choose. I don't care what other people ride, and it boggles my mind that some people care so much about my choice of bike. Whatever.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what gives?

And my stock 998 CC bike has over 3 times the HP and 50% more torque than the

I have seen too many people buy one for 8k only to tire of it in short order.

They end up stuck with it because they financed the whole thing and no one

will pay that much for a used bike.

It is different strokes for different folks, OP you might be plenty happy with it.

I still suggest you look for a used one. I just checked cycle trader and found

many used bikes 2 years old with low mileage for over 2k less than a new one.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Mazeman theres some truth to the mentality, but I bet my sporty will keep up with your fatboy on the highway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Mazeman theres some truth to the mentality, but I bet my sporty will keep up with your fatboy on the highway.

I have nothing against Sportsters, plus, odds are, you're a lot lighter than me.

As I said in a previous thread, people on bikes need to smile more. To me it's not about being a hardass, or better than someone else. It's enjoyable transportation.

Wanna race?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top