Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 11:37:59 AM EDT
http://beaverton.katu.com/content/despite-controversy-beaverton-expand-celebration

Despite Beaverton’s controversial plans to host a Mexican Independence Day celebration, city leaders say they’re expanding the festivities.

City leaders said Friday they are adding three other countries to the celebration that will also be recognized on Sept. 16 at City Park.

But some people are asking how the city can expand the Mexican celebration when there’s still no city-funded Fourth of July celebration.

City Project Manager Holly Thompson said the city will add Argentina, Chile, and Colombia to Mexico’s celebration because all those countries are celebrating their 200th anniversary.

“This event is to honor that and honor national Hispanic Heritage month,” she said.

Thompson said the city has budgeted $6,000 for the event.

Some said they are upset the city is using not only taxpayer dollars to host the event but it is expanding it while still not funding a Fourth of July celebration.

“They’ve got to do something for the United States,” said Kevin Connell who also said he thinks the city’s spending too much money for the event. “If they did that as a normal, annual event, then these bicentennials that come around would be celebrated.”

Thompson said the Fourth of July is celebrated in the city.

“We have numerous community events that are happening at a neighborhood level, and what people I don’t think maybe have heard is that this is a milestone anniversary,” she said. “It’s the 200th anniversary. There’s celebrations happening nationwide.”

Thompson said by focusing on just Mexican independence, the city wasn’t including everyone.

The Mexican Consulate in Portland asked the city of Beaverton to hold the event.

http://beaverton.katu.com/content/beaverton-funds-mexican-independence-day-not-america-s

There’s a fiery debate brewing over Beaverton’s plans to celebrate Mexican Independence Day later this month with taxpayer money while not funding a Fourth of July celebration.

Some people say the celebration that’s planned on Sept. 16 at Beaverton’s City Park shouldn’t be happening, but for now, Beaverton will mark Mexico’s independence bicentennial by spending $5,000.

The plans have conservative radio talk-show host, Lars Larson, crying foul.

“Beaverton is going to spend American tax dollars to celebrate Mexican Independence Day,” he said. “And there’s no reason to celebrate that outside of Mexico.”

Beaverton city officials acknowledge they’re holding the event and paying for it because the Mexican Consulate in Portland asked them to.

None of the Beaverton city council members or the city’s mayor returned phone calls Thursday seeking comment.

What’s more, the city doesn’t sponsor any events recognizing America’s Independence Day.

Council member Betty Bode defended the Mexican Independence Day celebration on Larson’s radio show earlier in the week.

“We recognize American Independence Day,” she said.

“In what way?” Larson asked.

“Because we have our flags up.”

“You have your flag up? Did you even so much as pass a resolution on the Fourth of July?” Larson said.

“No, we didn’t,” Bode responded.

Some say they don’t mind the planned celebration, but others say public money shouldn’t be used and not without a Fourth of July event.

Some city council members might be reluctant to talk about plans for the event because it apparently was funded without City Council approval.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Re-fucking-tarded
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Re-fucking-tarded

yep

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Western Oregon is full of cock sucking communists.. If I wasnt going to school here I would have left this shit hole a long time ago...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Racists.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Some parts of a America don't fucking deserve to be part of America.

I pass a resolution to piss on Beaverton, OR.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
[libtard Oregon progressive]Geez... Ameri-kkk-a is the most evil place in the world and patriotism is racist - 'mmmmkat?[/libtard Oregon progressive]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF Over!!!???
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I would make a big deal of retiring the colors in the center of town and replacing them with Mexican flags.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Beaverton city officials acknowledge they’re holding the event and paying for it because the Mexican Consulate in Portland asked them to.

Doesn't sound like the average American has anyone to represent them. Just pay your taxes gringo, Mexicans need to celebrate their conquest of El Norte.

This is America today thanks to political correctness, ethnic special interests, the ACLU, etc. Real Americans appear to be dying off as a species. Just a bunch of surrender monkeys left in many places.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Obviously the entire Beaverton city govt is comprised of Kali refugees...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Doesn't sound like the average American has anyone to represent them. Just pay your taxes gringo, Mexicans need to celebrate their conquest of El Norte.

This is America today thanks to political correctness, ethnic special interests, the ACLU, etc. Real Americans appear to be dying off as a species. Just a bunch of surrender monkeys left in many places.

This is becoming the norm in this country...

Capt. Nately: Don't you have any principles?

Old man in whorehouse: Of course not!

Capt. Nately: No morality?

Old man in whorehouse: I'm a very moral man, and Italy is a very moral country. That's why we will certainly come out on top again if we succeed in being defeated.

Capt. Nately: You talk like a madman.

Old man in whorehouse: But I live like a sane one. I was a fascist when Mussolini was on top. Now that he has been deposed, I am anti-fascist. When the Germans were here, I was fanatically pro-German. Now I'm fanatically pro-American. You'll find no more loyal partisan in all of Italy than myself.

Capt. Nately: You're a shameful opportunist! What you don't understand is that it's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Old man in whorehouse: You have it backwards. It's better to live on your feet than to die on your knees. I know.

Capt. Nately: How do you know?

Old man in whorehouse: Because I am 107-years-old. How old are you?

Capt. Nately: I'll be 20 in January.

Old man in whorehouse: If you live.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#13]

"Beaverton city officials acknowledge they’re holding the event and paying for it because the Mexican Consulate in Portland asked them to.

Damn, I guess It's a good thing they didn't ask if they could buttfuck all your womenfolk...

Top Top