Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 4:39:33 AM EDT

I know live in anew house with house centipedes. What new holy terror is this?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#1]
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Don't know what it's called but I get em too! Blast it...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
"He's an ugly little spud, isn't he? "

"Are you a God?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Take off and Nuke the entire site from orbit.

Its the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a big twinkie.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a silverfish.

They don't bite.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Kill it with fire. now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Step on that.

Do it now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, you grow 'em down there wherever you're from.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Obviously needs a hug. I mean, just look at all those hug needing arms.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]
CHARACTERISTICS: The House Centipede is a very common sight throughout North America, particularly found in indoor locations that are wet or damp and most often times active at night. In warmer climates, they may be found outdoors as well as indoors.

House Centipedes are no strangers to bathtubs and will sometimes emerge from drain holes. Other house locations that they may be found in is the crawlspace, near the porch area (drawn in by porch lights) and in basin-type setups.

House Centipedes are covered with black and yellow to white coloring. Legs appear to surround the body which consists of 15 pairs of banded legs. The body itself is striped lengthwise with a dark-to-light-to-dark pattern. Large compound eyes adorn the head and males typically have very long antennae. The last pair of legs in the series on the body will typically be the longest. As hideous as these insects may appear, the House Centipede is actually super-beneficial to the under-workings of a home, assisting in keeping bigger pests such as cockroaches and moths at bay. House Centipedes move EXTREMELY fast and run with their bodies held high above the ground. Only when they stop do they bring their bodies back down to the surface.

ADULT SIZE (Length, not including legs):

34mm to 35mm (1.34in to 1.38in)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#11]
It's not a silverfish. We call them "thousand leggers" here. They eat spiders. So I leave em be.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]
NM dumb mistake
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:06:50 AM EDT
[#13]
those fucker move fast! especially when they are up a wall and it scares the shit out of me
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Sweet mother of God, I will not sleep well tonight...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#15]
You might call them "thousand-leggers" there.

Here we call them silverfish.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We call them thousand leggers here too..... A silver fish is a totally different bug, it's not a silverfish.

Do you call squirrels possums too?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#17]
yep.... thousand legger.... glock 10mm oughta do
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to hunt those in my parent's basement w/ WD-40 and a lighter growing up.

They make a "crackle" when set on fire
Speed
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#19]
The real question is:

How can they be deep fried wrapped bacon???  Mmmm, mmmm good
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
CHARACTERISTICS: The House Centipede is a very common sight throughout North America, particularly found in indoor locations that are wet or damp and most often times active at night. In warmer climates, they may be found outdoors as well as indoors.

House Centipedes are no strangers to bathtubs and will sometimes emerge from drain holes. Other house locations that they may be found in is the crawlspace, near the porch area (drawn in by porch lights) and in basin-type setups.

House Centipedes are covered with black and yellow to white coloring. Legs appear to surround the body which consists of 15 pairs of banded legs. The body itself is striped lengthwise with a dark-to-light-to-dark pattern. Large compound eyes adorn the head and males typically have very long antennae. The last pair of legs in the series on the body will typically be the longest. As hideous as these insects may appear, the House Centipede is actually super-beneficial to the under-workings of a home, assisting in keeping bigger pests such as cockroaches and moths at bay. House Centipedes move EXTREMELY fast and run with their bodies held high above the ground. Only when they stop do they bring their bodies back down to the surface.

House centipedes are now off my squash list.

ETA: Wow, I have a new-found respect for these things:

House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, and other household arthropods... They use both their mandibles and their legs for holding prey. This way they can deal with several small insects at the same time. To capture prey they either jump onto it or use their legs in a technique described as "lassoing". Using their legs to beat prey has also been described. In a feeding study, S. coleoptrata  showed the ability to distinguish between possible prey. They avoid dangerous insects. They also adapted their feeding pattern to the hazard the prey might pose to them. For wasps, they retreat after applying the venom to give it time to take effect. When the centipede is in danger of becoming prey itself, it can detach any legs that have become trapped.

ETA: And less apprehension about them:

Bites (stings) are not common, and the forcipules of most house centipedes are not strong enough to penetrate human skin.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is a Silverfish:

This is a House Centipede:

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Close enough
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got house centipedes as well .  I flush 'em down the toilet when I find them. The good thing about  them is There are no other bugs in my house.  They are very aggressive hunters. I've never seen a spider or spider web in the last 6 years I've lived in this house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#25]
When I hear my wife scream from the basement I know she found one.  They are ugly.  Ever since we started running the dehumidifier regularly in the basement I really haven't seen much of them.  The screams have died down.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Meh, I've got scorpions and camel spiders.  Consider yourself lucky OP.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Google silverfish.  Then stop calling them that.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#28]
We have small ones. Used to have big uns' until my daughter's cat figured out they taste good...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Technically it's not a "thousand legger" either so piss off.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Cool bug!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#31]
You need geckos.  We have tons of the little bug eating lizards all over the place.  Sure, now and then we find a gecko in the house, but the wife, kids and I don't mind them at all.  In fact, the two house cats we have eat the little lizards that sneak in if we don't find them first.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Perfectly harmless and usually invisible to humans, Hell on earth to ants, spiders, termites, etc. Leave them alone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

House centipedes are now off my squash list.

ETA: Wow, I have a new-found respect for these things:

House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish, ants, and other household arthropods... They use both their mandibles and their legs for holding prey. This way they can deal with several small insects at the same time. To capture prey they either jump onto it or use their legs in a technique described as "lassoing". Using their legs to beat prey has also been described. In a feeding study, S. coleoptrata  showed the ability to distinguish between possible prey. They avoid dangerous insects. They also adapted their feeding pattern to the hazard the prey might pose to them. For wasps, they retreat after applying the venom to give it time to take effect. When the centipede is in danger of becoming prey itself, it can detach any legs that have become trapped.

ETA: And less apprehension about them:

Bites (stings) are not common, and the forcipules of most house centipedes are not strong enough to penetrate human skin.

Given the choice, I'll live with the house centipedes over roaches and termites.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Excellent specimen you have there

They do feel a little creepy if they scurry across your bare foot
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I use this

Spectracide

spray it on your baseboards, window sills, thresholds.  you'll only find dead ones. works on all creepy crawlers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Don't know what it's called but I get em too! Blast it...

I loved Ghostbusters as a child, especially Venkman.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Missing napkin
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#38]
We call 'em brain-ticklers.

roy d...because that's what they do once they crawl in your ears when your sleeping
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#39]
What's fun about those things is that when you drop concentrated sulfuric acid on them all of their legs fall off.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What's fun about those things is that when you drop concentrated sulfuric acid on them all of their legs fall off.  

lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#41]
10mm point blank.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've got house centipedes as well .  I flush 'em down the toilet when I find them. The good thing about  them is There are no other bugs in my house.  They are very aggressive hunters. I've never seen a spider or spider web in the last 6 years I've lived in this house.

Spiders is all we have in central texas- wouldn't mind having about a dozen of those bad boys

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Blast it with piss.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Take off and Nuke the entire site from orbit.

Its the only way to be sure.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Every single time I get a box shipped from the US, via the USPS, I get AT LEAST 3-4 of those fuckers on it!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I know they are good critters, but I'd be hard-pressed not to shoot that bastard with my 870 a few times. Never seen one before.

I need one of those perimeter setups like in Congo. Radar guided machinegun tripod things. Holy crap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top