BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't think its a biological cause, but rather a cultural cause.  I doubt it translates into other languages/cultures.

Interestingly, I know that sometimes I will turn up my southern accent when dealing with people who are very southern acting or sounding.  It puts them at ease.  Other times I speak completely. for lack of better terms, "normal" without any accent at all.  It helps tremendously at building rapport with strangers to match their speech patterns.

My southern accent also dials up depending on who I'm talking to, and yes, it has the effect you said.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My stepbrother is gay and talks like Paul Lynde, unfortunately not nearly as witty. He's been like that since he was in elementary school. I have also known some "straight" guys that had a little bit of teh ghey accent and mannerisms. Those guys were all raised by single mothers... I agree with the poster above that said it was a subconscious imitation of female behavior, but what the hell do I know.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
After losing the inhibition against six inches of str8 pole being rammed into their outbox, their speech becomes relaxed and careless, as well as their wrists.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I know several gay guys and some are even considered friends. I don't hate gay people (even if I hate the "official gay agenda"). But for some reason I just can't stand lispy flamers. When I talk to one I always think "what the hell is wrong with you". I'm just an oldschool manly man that way I guess.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a mating call to other gheys.

I always assumed this, that it was the Gay Man's version of a club's Secret Handshake.

Except not very secret.

That club's so secret, it doesn't even have a front door.  You have to use the back!

/rimshot

I actually made that noise in my head when I read the post....budumchi!
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good question.

All of the gay men I know HATE that shit and talk like regular fucking men. Femme is usually a cover for personality issues and crazy.

No....Femme /Butch is just the way some people are. Your right a lot of gay men try to throw the femmes under the bus. The "str8 actors" look at themselves as being more acceptable to heteros. And blame the femmes for the bad feelings over gay treatment. But that just the same BS that the fudds use against the ebr people. Your either LGBT or your not......degree isn't important.

Trust me......I'm as butch as human possiable, but there is no differeace between me and Nathan Lane.

Nathan Lane is gay?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
are there "gay accents" in other languages?

Duh.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good question.

All of the gay men I know HATE that shit and talk like regular fucking men. Femme is usually a cover for personality issues and crazy.

No....Femme /Butch is just the way some people are. Your right a lot of gay men try to throw the femmes under the bus. The "str8 actors" look at themselves as being more acceptable to heteros. And blame the femmes for the bad feelings over gay treatment. But that just the same BS that the fudds use against the ebr people. Your either LGBT or your not......degree isn't important.
Trust me......I'm as butch as human possiable, but there is no differeace between me and Nathan Lane.

You should have posted this fact in one of  those epic threads about the benefits (or lack thereof) of college education.  Do you at least require a HD Diploma?  GED?  Some college?

Most have fulfilling careers based entirely on OJT.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't work.......Everybody wants the "str8 acting guys" now a days.

Wait, wut?

I am str8. Am I in any danger? Does this mean I have to start acting gay if I am.

I am so confused right now.

Just replace every s with a th and you should be good to go. You might add a "super!" to the end of a sentence once and a while.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever hear a gay baby cry?  Sounds different.

I don't know about gay babies.......but you can generally tell early. I'm pretty sure my daughter is hetero...she likes the boys.

Previous relationship or adopted? Not trying to get too personal, just curious...

well, not that "curious"...

Old fashion way.......

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about gay babies.......but you can generally tell early. I'm pretty sure my daughter is hetero...she likes the boys.

Projection.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it is just a SanFrancisco/Bay Area accent.  Like there's a distinct New York accent.  I first thought of this listening to the Dead Kennedy's - Jello Biafra (who isn't gay as far as I know) has the same way of speaking - and he's from the Bay Area.  It's put on as an affectation by gays all over - they learn to talk that way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's what I don't understand.

Gay men are not attracted to women...but dress, groom, act, talk, come across as being more effeminate.

Lesbian women are not attracted to me, but dress, groom, act, talk and come across as being more masculine.

Why is it that they become what they are not attracted to?

Hax
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just the way some of us talk.....most will try to cover it as much as possable. But for some it's a losing battle to be "str8 acting".

Wait, you're gay? I'll be damn.

SUUUU PRISE
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
MTV
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just the way some of us talk.....most will try to cover it as much as possable. But for some it's a losing battle to be "str8 acting".

SUUUU PRISE

Next thing you guys will tell me is TRG is gay.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interestingly, I know of no lesbian counterpart.

The speech has a 'muffled' quality to it because the girl has her mouth buried between another girl's legs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My brother is a pre-med student, so he answered this for me a while back.

Gay people have different hormone and testosterone levels during development, and as a result they are more likely to have shorter vocal chords etc etc.

I mean, the gay accent is universal.  I grew up overseas, so the gay people there speaking a completely different language would also do that feminine slurring of their speech.

At the same time, i've known a few gay dudes who looked/sounded just like normal joes too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting question...  I never thought about it before... tagged out of curiousity.  (Wait... that might be misinterpreted).

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Is medical......from inhalation therapy and anal injection,tightens the tonsils
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
It happens when your mouth is in the sucking position far too often.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SUUUU PRISE

Next thing you guys will tell me is TRG is gay.....

I'm not sure if TRG is gay or if thats the longest running joke on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It could be that there are a lot of heterosexual males who spoke with a "gay" lisp but learned to hide it.

And yes, there are gay lisps in other languages. I once knew a Panamanian guy who was 110% faaaabulous and had the gayest sounding voice in both English and Spanish.

I spent several years of my childhood and adolescence in the Philippines - one of my high school classmates was also quite "faaabulous", and definitely had the lisp and other mannerisms.  

He was an OK person, but his flaming queenishness was sometimes a bit over the top.  I mean, come on, none of the Catholic schoolgirls I knew there were even half as exaggeratedly feminine as he was
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My theory has always been that it's a desire to sound more feminine...

It could be a way of advertising.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wut?

I am str8. Am I in any danger? Does this mean I have to start acting gay if I am.

Bad news, writing straight as "str8" is really fucking gay.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wut?

Is "aight" really that difficult to type out?  I don't understand the necessity.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
...As an aside, are there "gay accents" in other languages and in other English-speaking civilizations? Are stereotypically gay gestures and patterns of physical movement acquired in the same mysterious way as the accent?...

With other cultures, the gay dudes take on feminine speech and body movements. In Japanese, the normal way to say "domo arigato gozaimasu" is to not pronounce the final "u" (and this goes with other words ending in "masu"). So, you would say go-zai-mass. A feminine woman or effeminate man would say go-zai-ma-soo. Foreigners are given an exception as they may not know the u is supposed to be silent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Previous relationship or adopted? Not trying to get too personal, just curious...

well, not that "curious"...

Old fashion way.......

Man, that must've been one ugly broad to make you switch team.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always assumed this, that it was the Gay Man's version of a club's Secret Handshake.

Except not very secret.

That club's so secret, it doesn't even have a front door. You have to use the back!

/rimshot

I know you didn't say "rimshot." Not in this thread.
I LOL'd.  
I have a flaming homo uncle who never used to speak like that.  Over the last couple decades he finally developed the effeminate way of speaking.  It's not the lisp, necessarily, but you know how women can get all excited a squealy with each other when looking at a new pair of shoes?  He does that.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Advertisement!

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#32]
its just sssuper.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you accept that homosexuality is genetic, then you might consider how some genetic differences affect apparently unrelated bahavior and physiology.  For instance, there is a project to domesticate silver foxes for pets that's been running since just the 1950's.  The only trait they've been bred for is tameness, but the foxes have, apparently as a side-effect of whatever genes promote tameness, adopted many dog-like features:

Link The domesticated foxes exhibit both behavioral and physiological changes from their wild forebears. They are friendlier with humans, put their ears down (like dogs), wag their tails when happy, and have begun to vocalize and bark like domesticated dogs. They have also developed color patterns like domesticated dogs and have lost their distinctive musky 'fox smell'... Some important changes in physiology and morphology are now visible, such as mottled or spotted colored fur. Many scientists believe that these changes related to selecting for tameness are caused by lower adrenaline production in the new breed, which causes these physiological changes in a very small number of generations, thus allowing for these new genetic offshoots not present in the original species.

This is called "pleiotropy".  A single gene may determine multiple traits.

Homosexuality being genetic is a myth perpetrated by the Gay Lobby.  Homosexuality is an extreme narcissistic personality disorder.

Well mister PhD......please enlighten us as to how you figure that.?

Is it wrong that I heard this in the gay accent as I read it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Am i the only one that reads Stonerstudents posts with a lisp?

its just super!

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wut?

Like spelling gay...ghey?

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wut?

Is "aight" really that difficult to type out?  I don't understand the necessity.

I started doing it when everybody here started spelling gay...ghey.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you accept that homosexuality is genetic, then you might consider how some genetic differences affect apparently unrelated bahavior and physiology.  For instance, there is a project to domesticate silver foxes for pets that's been running since just the 1950's.  The only trait they've been bred for is tameness, but the foxes have, apparently as a side-effect of whatever genes promote tameness, adopted many dog-like features:

Link The domesticated foxes exhibit both behavioral and physiological changes from their wild forebears. They are friendlier with humans, put their ears down (like dogs), wag their tails when happy, and have begun to vocalize and bark like domesticated dogs. They have also developed color patterns like domesticated dogs and have lost their distinctive musky 'fox smell'... Some important changes in physiology and morphology are now visible, such as mottled or spotted colored fur. Many scientists believe that these changes related to selecting for tameness are caused by lower adrenaline production in the new breed, which causes these physiological changes in a very small number of generations, thus allowing for these new genetic offshoots not present in the original species.

Homosexuality being genetic is a myth perpetrated by the Gay Lobby.  Homosexuality is an extreme narcissistic personality disorder.

You should hear it on this end......

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I agree. I think they choose it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think its a biological cause, but rather a cultural cause.  I doubt it translates into other languages/cultures.
Interestingly, I know that sometimes I will turn up my southern accent when dealing with people who are very southern acting or sounding.  It puts them at ease.  Other times I speak completely. for lack of better terms, "normal" without any accent at all.  It helps tremendously at building rapport with strangers to match their speech patterns.

My southern accent also dials up depending on who I'm talking to, and yes, it has the effect you said.
Its called Code Switching or more specifically Style Shifting

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Faggots do it for attention.
Next question.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

Or different.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wut?

Gayer, much gayer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Because it's genetic!!!!!  They were born that way!!!!!!   Leave them alone!!!!!  Just let them marry and sue a church if they don't perform a ceremony!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_lisp

When one punches "Why do gay men....." in Google, there are some pretty funny fill in the blanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should hear it on this end......

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wut?

Gayer, much gayer.

Good.....I need all the help I can get.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The stereotypical and often real (stereotypes exist for a reason) gay accent includes features such as sibilant esses, an occasional slight lisp, and other tiny elements that allow a listener (gay or straight) to say "He sounds gay." The accent can be observed in early teenagers and even preadolescents who are later known to be gay. Interestingly, I know of no lesbian counterpart.

My question is "How is the accent acquired?" Supposedly, most of our linguistic imprinting is derived from the adult who spoke to us most from birth to age 3. Presumably, no more than one (and far more often neither) parent will have the accent. Overt homosexuals usually appear in popular entertainment as comic foils, best friends, or bitchy, condescending neighbors. They are rarely the sort of characters little Joey would see on TV and want to emulate, no matter what makes him feel tingly and weird "down there." For heterosexuals of childbearing years, there is a fairly rigid (though usually unintentional) segregation of their children from homosexuals. People with little kids just don't often have a lot in common with people who live in a childless double-income same-sex relationship. I cannot fathom how the accent is acquired, especially in the very young.

As an aside, are there "gay accents" in other languages and in other English-speaking civilizations? Are stereotypically gay gestures and patterns of physical movement acquired in the same mysterious way as the accent?

Anyone who wishes to mine this post for a thesis topic is welcome to do so.

Homo's are an abomination. So the gay accent is basically  a curse so all can recogonize that they are gay or have that tendancy.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Throat Sausage
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The guy who cut my hair until I was 12 was a gay Asian man from Trinidad. He had the gay lisp mixed with a Caribbean Jamaican sounding accent and looked like he was right off the boat from China. It was quite a combo.

Gay Asian hairdresser from Trinidad with a lisp.  Sooo stereotypical!

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#49]
A lot of intolerance on here. Here's what I've learned from all the gay people I know:

1) Most if not all had issues with their father. I have a close guy friend, and he despises his dad. Every other gay male I've known has either had no relationship with their father, their father left them when they were young, or their father had no interest or connection with his son.

2) Possible hormone imbalances. How many gays do you know of that have a rippling physique? Yes, some of them are body builders, etc., but the vast majority I've seen and known generally tend to accumulate fat in the "muffin top" region, hips, and thighs. How many have you seen with really heavy beards and aggressive personalities?

3) I have known a significant number of gays that were molested when they were younger. Not enough data for me to determine if this is a reason, but it was an interesting correlation.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top