User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poll fail.  Should be measured as a % of take-home or gross income.

I have a theory.  Personally I've read the statistic on raising a child.  However, having 4 children of my own I can say that the cost of raising those children is substantially lower than what is published.  Without children my housing cost would be the same, perhaps my home would be configured in a different way, or I might have different amenities.   The cost for nutritional food is the same for big earners and low earners.  There are all the other miscellaneous cost, but in my opinion there is a base $ amount needed.  

A father with an affluent income might provide expensive activities, private school tuition, and more expensive clothes and toys....but those are extras and not necessities.  When the father is divorced, even with a good income.  He has to provide at minimum another home and everything that goes with it, and stock a second pantry with food.   A woman who receives "court ordered child support" benefits.   Society says the children must be provided the lifestyle for which they are accustomed, which means the custodial parent enjoys that same environment.   It is tantamount to hidden alimony.   If the father wants the children, has a better income, and is a good father then in my opinion then he should get the children.  If the mothers income potential is less, and she fights and wins the custody then her overhead cost should be adjusted to HER income.   Child Support should then be calculated off of that amount.

So the poll isn't a "fail".  In my opinion child support should be standard, or capped.   A custodial parent benefits from the custody payment.  At the very least there should be a way to calculate this "excess" and the father be given a tax deduction.   If you are at a 30% marginal Federal tax rate with state income tax thrown in, then you are paying a much higher percentage of your net after tax income than a father who is at an 18% marginal federal tax bracket.   So in my opinion gross percentage of income is a travesty.    

I want hard dollars, not percentage of gross income.

Most fathers don't want the children full time.

Then what?    

that's not true

Yes, I'm afraid it is.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For one kid I pay 1K a month in child support plus health and dental insurance

The best part is my ex-wife makes about 3X more than I do, has re-married and lives in a 700K house. She takes two vacations a year and gets a new car every two years.

I'm lucky if I get to see my daughter once a month
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

mine was 20 years ago but i can absolutely say the court system killed whatever relationships i could have had with my kids. My lawyer was a pos and i got railroaded. ended up with 75% of my take home going to support. in order to buy food i had no choice but to work 80hr weeks for years. left zero time to visit or raise them. then again my ex did everything she could to keep them away anyway.

the current court system does more to destroy what little could be salvaged in a family than anything else.

I wonder if the calculations have been changed since then.  It would be interesting for you to use the child support calculator for the state you were in at the time, and plug the numbers in as you remember them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
$520.00 a month (thats alot for me) and the bitch up and split to Idaho to live with her parents cuz her POS hubby couldnt hold a job.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When my wife and I were divorced (we remarried in January), I paid her $1150 per month. One child.

-Mark

good luck with that shit

my friend did the same thing and it worked out just like everybody except him thought it would...

Meh. If it works out, it does, if not, oh well, and we go back to what we had before. I honestly care very little at this point. The whole divorce process pretty much turned me into an evil cynical bastard (not that I wasn't one before, but now I really hate people). I'm mostly concerned about my son having an intact family. As long as my wife and I can get along and not be at each others' throats all the time, that's good enough for me.

-Mark
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$1123 a month on $4075 a month gross.  Don't even ask...

Wow.  Thought my ass hurt.  Kids wearing platinum clothing & drinking unicorn tears or what?

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have one child with my second wife. She gets $521 a month for him. That was based off of a $40,000 a year job that I had at the time. Thank God she has no idea what I make now. The court/state enforces the payments by destroying your credit or sending you to jail if you fail to keep current BUT doesn't enforce any of the visitations set up in the court order. I tried to sue twice to have my visitation privileges enforced and the court tossed it both times.They don't want to deal with parents in two different states having a court battle in the courts state. I have no idea where my son lives now and haven't seen him in 8 years.

IANAL, but I have dealt with a similar situation. I now have custody. I believe the court that has the most recent order STILL has jurisdiction even if she obsconded, even if neither one of you still lives there. File a motion to enforce. When she fails to appear they will issue a warrant or summons for contempt. If all else fails get the feds involved. You have a RIGHT OBLIGATION to participate in your childrens life. You can not replace lost time and it will negatively change his life and yours. Get an attack lawyer. I sold eveything, borrowed out the ying yang, and spent tens of thousands in atorneys fees but I got custody and it woould have been worth it at twice what I paid. Don't delay any longer, you can't un-ring a bell and you can't rewind time.

I.C.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a theory.  Personally I've read the statistic on raising a child.  However, having 4 children of my own I can say that the cost of raising those children is substantially lower than what is published.  Without children my housing cost would be the same, perhaps my home would be configured in a different way, or I might have different amenities.   The cost for nutritional food is the same for big earners and low earners.  There are all the other miscellaneous cost, but in my opinion there is a base $ amount needed.  

A father with an affluent income might provide expensive activities, private school tuition, and more expensive clothes and toys....but those are extras and not necessities.  When the father is divorced, even with a good income.  He has to provide at minimum another home and everything that goes with it, and stock a second pantry with food.   A woman who receives "court ordered child support" benefits.   Society says the children must be provided the lifestyle for which they are accustomed, which means the custodial parent enjoys that same environment.   It is tantamount to hidden alimony.   If the father wants the children, has a better income, and is a good father then in my opinion then he should get the children.  If the mothers income potential is less, and she fights and wins the custody then her overhead cost should be adjusted to HER income.   Child Support should then be calculated off of that amount.

So the poll isn't a "fail".  In my opinion child support should be standard, or capped.   A custodial parent benefits from the custody payment.  At the very least there should be a way to calculate this "excess" and the father be given a tax deduction.   If you are at a 30% marginal Federal tax rate with state income tax thrown in, then you are paying a much higher percentage of your net after tax income than a father who is at an 18% marginal federal tax bracket.   So in my opinion gross percentage of income is a travesty.    

Then what?    

They can man up and take it.  I'm a divorced father with custody of a teenage daughter, my ex lives several states away, so I'm IT.  Fortunately I have an understanding boss and a couple of friends who can take care of her in an emergency, but otherwise my 'me' time is very limited.  

ETA:  Child support calculations were based on comparing my income to hers, hers was set at minimum wage because she hasn't gotten off her ass and completed any contracts in several years, so she pays what the state calculates as 18% of the cost of raising our daughter, which works out to less than $200/month.  Per the divorce agreement, I'm paying her health insurance for one year from the time of divorce (almost up) which costs about $220/month.  I'm not really expecting her to improve her income enough to matter on the calculations, she's living with roommates because she can't afford her own place (and couldn't get along with family to live with them), I won't be surprised if she gets in deep enough financial trouble that she's unable to make the child support payments (and Georgia doesn't require contributions to college, what money HAD been set aside for daughter's college went to ex, and she's already burned through it).

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Poll fail. She pays me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When my wife and I were divorced (we remarried in January), I paid her $1150 per month. One child.

-Mark

good luck with that shit

my friend did the same thing and it worked out just like everybody except him thought it would...

Meh. If it works out, it does, if not, oh well, and we go back to what we had before. I honestly care very little at this point. The whole divorce process pretty much turned me into an evil cynical bastard (not that I wasn't one before, but now I really hate people). I'm mostly concerned about my son having an intact family. As long as my wife and I can get along and not be at each others' throats all the time, that's good enough for me.

-Mark

good luck, hope it works out better for you than i've seen

for the record though, i've always hated people.  i needed no such trigger

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I had to pay $1150 a month while making $13 hr.  If i didn't work 80hrs every week, I didn't get to eat. Shittiest 3 year period of my life.   I do not wish that upon anyone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
During the 90's my younger brother was paying child support for 4 kids from three different women (2 wives, 1 girlfriend). I still can't figure out how he was able to keep a roof over his head. He got a vasectomy before he got married a third time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got custody of my only son.  I also pay for everything which is just fine with me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Misread the question. Thought you were asking per week. $320.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, OP. I've learned a lot in this thread, especially about my views on the subject.

I think the social stigmas are a huge hipocrasy. There's no such thing as dead-beat mom. I think alimony is outdated in this day and age where womean can earn just as much as men. That's also why I think child support is stuipid too. I feel that if my wife and I got devorced and she wanted to take our son away from me by having full custody, then she should have the full responsibility that goes with it too. I've seen first hand with my older brother how a woman can play the game to continue to get child support by not getting remarried on purpose, not working and living off the child support and welfare. The potential for abuse by the woman is reason enough to reform or get rid of it all.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Before I got it adjusted 50% of my net went one of two kids.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#18]
For one child:

At the time of our divorce in 1994 the judge ordered that I pay $650 per month. I voluntarily paid $1000 per month.

In 1999, my X took me to court to get more child support. The judge ordered me to increase the amount to $1250 per month. My daughter turned 18 in 2006 and that is when my legal responsbility ended for child support.

My x-wife covered our daughter for health insurance under her work plan, and I paid 1/2 of any medical expenses not covered by the health insurance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$1500 a month plus 60% of all expenses for two kids.

What is the $1500/month supposed to cover?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:55:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$1500 a month plus 60% of all expenses for two kids.

What is the $1500/month supposed to cover?

Damn.  I bet she shops a lot when everything she buys for the kids is pretty much a life long 60% off sale.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you guys get receipts for the money and how it's spent for child support or can she just take it out and blow it? That's where I have a problem with the system. The ex should turn in receipt before the next payment..........in a real world.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you guys get receipts for the money and how it's spent for child support or can she just take it out and blow it? That's where I have a problem with the system. The ex should turn in receipt before the next payment..........in a real world.

They can spend it any way they want, it is their money not yours!

My Ex has new stone floors in her home, has brand new furnature, they bought new 4-wheelers, a brand new Tahoe, etc etc.  Remember, at least here in PA the money she is getting is After Taxes so that money is clear and free.  She is living with someone new so with three incomes they are doing really quite well.

Just the same, I am not about to try to get it adjusted as I make more now then the original agreement (I am paying $1100/mo for two kids) and I can't afford the risk that it might go up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I did the calculator for TX child support, and let's just say that I will be a lot nicer to my wife for the next 15 years!
It turned out to be about 40% of my take home pay for 2 kids. I work shift work, so it would not be a good idea for me to have full custody....
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#24]
When my first wife and I got divorced my two sons were 11 and 6.  We had been married for 14 years and I had been in the Army for 15 years.  I got full custody and I agreed not to make my ex pay child support as long as she did not take half of my retirement.  She has never really held a steady job since, so I wouldn't have got anything anyway.

It was tough being a single parent in the Army but I had a lot of help from friends and family.

They are now 25 and 19 and doing great.  Their Mom lives in TN and they live in TX near me.  Fuck her.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I understand child support, but I do not understand alimony. That is BS imo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#26]
My child support - $1,500 per kid x 2 = $3,000 per month.

Alimony = $12,000 a month for life or until she remarries.

ETA: I also pay their private school tuition - $17,000 x 2 = $34,000 per year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Good grief. What the heck do you do for a living??
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm one of the largest independent  cigar tobacco growers in the world.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very interesting

*I don't smoke cigars.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#30]
A damn good thread.  You better really evaluate who you let your swimmers near.  

Three of my friends who were in downhill slides of marriages decided to have kids.  Maybe they thought it would keep them together.  End result is the guys living near poverty and the women continuing to make bad decisions with free money.

Any hint of new money––new car––new wife with a job––pay raise, etc.  and the ex-bitch is going to court to get a piece of it.  The kids are the intel machine.  What a shitty way to go through life.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with this kind of reasoning is that reality is far more complicated.  Things are not this simple.

No, it really IS that simple to the parents who don't really want to support their children, or who see child support as an unfair "fucking" they get from their ex.  If left to them, no woman (or man) who stayed home to raise the children would ever get custody.    

Ironically, if that were really to happen, they'd be crying another tune pretty quickly.

If one parent feels the need to "Stay home with the kids" any support should be cut in half.   After all we truly need to have equality and this way we can be each be worse off..
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem with this kind of reasoning is that reality is far more complicated.  Things are not this simple.

No, it really IS that simple to the parents who don't really want to support their children, or who see child support as an unfair "fucking" they get from their ex.  If left to them, no woman (or man) who stayed home to raise the children would ever get custody.    

Ironically, if that were really to happen, they'd be crying another tune pretty quickly.

If one parent feels the need to "Stay home with the kids" any support should be cut in half.   After all we truly need to have equality and this way we can be each be worse off..

I meant while married.  You know, a parent staying home to rear the children rather than shipping them off to strangers every day.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Divorce is absolutely devastating on its own, but when children are involved it is worse.  

It is tough on the kids.  Sometimes going to DEFCON 1 is the only option.   With that said, there is still a double standard.  Mothers have to really screw up to lose their rights as the custodial parent.   Woman seem to have all the option, men don't.  Woman can stay at home with absolutely no societal stigma, in fact they are admired for being a stay at home mom amd sacrificing career.  Men who are stay at home dads, unless they are financially independent, are looked down upon (maybe not to their face)  Woman can also have a career, and that's ok.   Men are expected to financially provide. If a family runs into financial problems the man is considered responsible.  The only problem I have with equality of the sexes are these hypercrisy.

We all know the custodial parent benefits from court ordered child support.   The custodial parent shares the roof, utilities, and food that these payments provide.  

I'm curious what various court ordered child support do divorced none-custodial fathers end up paying.   I know a lot of fathers go above and beyond this amount, but in the POLL ONLY INCLUDE TOTAL COURT ORDERED CHILD SUPPORT.

Survey above

What are you, a feminist?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can spend it any way they want, it is their money not yours!

My Ex has new stone floors in her home, has brand new furnature, they bought new 4-wheelers, a brand new Tahoe, etc etc.  Remember, at least here in PA the money she is getting is After Taxes so that money is clear and free.  She is living with someone new so with three incomes they are doing really quite well.

Just the same, I am not about to try to get it adjusted as I make more now then the original agreement (I am paying $1100/mo for two kids) and I can't afford the risk that it might go up.

I thought it was for the kids. Would you have to pay extra if the kids need braces? Don't get me wrong, the kids would always come first but I've seen more times then not the money was not used for the kids. The courts need to take this into consideration. I've been happily married for 31 years but I have always felt for the guy walking around with the big "D" on his back.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very interesting .

*I don't smoke cigars.  

i do enjoy a good cigar when i can get my hands on one.  

i'd enjoy seeing pictures of your operation and to hear who you sell to if you wouldn't mind...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I get no receipts for how she spends the support payments, nor is it mandated that she provide me any by the courts. Three thousand dollars a month for an 8 and 12 year old is excessive though especially when you take into consideration that I'm also paying their school tuition. Shit, she doesn't even have a mortgage  payment as I gave her the house which was paid for.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I've been divorced since 1997 we had two kids 2 and 4.  My ex and I have joint custody but I have primary physical placement (she would see them every other weekend).  I had child support held open in order to get this (she pays nothing).  The last we heard from her was 1999, she then went AWOL, and has not seen or spoken to the kids since ().  I started thinking it would be nice for her to pay some support (with college on the horizon) I found her on facebook this year in another state, she listed herself as a single mother of two (not our two).  I contacted county child support to inquire on receiving support.  The lady I spoke to told me "She probably doesn't make very much money, and anyhow she is out of state and it would be almost impossible to collect anything", that was the extent of the help and assistance I was given.  

Can you imagine if roles were reversed and I was the one who disappeared on the kids and lived out of state?  The lady would have been drooling and tripping over herself to assist in tracking me down to make me pay.

The system is fairly messed up and one sided as a rule.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Marriage.

If you're a man you go into it willingly, you're fucking nuts.

ETA: sorry to all the ladies who would make great wives.  We can't tell you apart from the demons, or if you're going to switch sides 10 years down the road.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what?    

And most women are money grubbing bitches.

See what I did there
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#41]
$975 for one child. Started out as 120/mo when I got divorced in 1986. The agency jacked it up when I was making about 3k from $450 tp the 975. It was a person in the support agency that was of a different race and called me a "typical honky white cracker" and she was going to "stick it to me good." Made a complaint but was dismissed by the director as unfounded.

It should be legal to publicly beat people like that with a thorny stick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very interesting .

*I don't smoke cigars.  

i do enjoy a good cigar when i can get my hands on one.  

i'd enjoy seeing pictures of your operation and to hear who you sell to if you wouldn't mind...

olivatobacco.com, or you can Google Angel Oliva ,or do a search of Oliva Tobacco Co. at Cigar Aficianado. WE ARE NOT THE SAME COMPANY AS OLIVA CIGAR. We've been in business a hell of a lot longer than them and we don't make cigars.
I sell tobacco to just about everybody in the cigar business - A. Fuente, Pepin Garcia/Pete Johnson, La Flor Dominicana, Rocky Patel, CAO, 601, La Gloria Cubana, EP Carillo, Ashton,Swedish Match, Imperial
(ALTADIS formerly), and a host of others.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I thought it was for the kids. Would you have to pay extra if the kids need braces? .....

Yea, medical gets split 50/50 and both of my kids needed braces so I can to come up with several grand on top of support for that too.  I love my kids and want the best for them but yea divorce with kids really sucks in a LOT of ways.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#44]

It's good now as I have found her and we see and talk every week now. I found her on facebook. I saw my ex a few months ago and she said she wishes I were dead. She's pissed I have a relationship with my daughter. Good, sweet revenge. Although it cost me a shit-ton of money.

And BTW, may your ex die alone
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#45]
$400 per child and i have 2.

I also pay for all medical insurance including visits. She pays for the prescription if needed and dentist bills.

I dont begrudge paying the money for my kids like some fathers out there do. What i dont care for is that iam supporting not only my kids, but my ex at the same time.

Though there are days i look at that $800 and think what i could be doing with it. But that passes pretty quickly, i love my kids.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mark

good luck with that shit

Maybe the divorce will work out better the second time.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been through the whole divorce/child support obstacle course and got a real good lesson on what kind of  worthless, lazy, POS men are in the eyes of society and the court system. It doesn't matter that you fully meet your court-ordered obligations, which pretty much hamstrings your previous lifestyle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#48]
in ny if i remember correctly, child support is a % of gross income, 17% for one child, 24% for 2 or more.  remember gross is not net. this does not include the alimony or house.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#49]
I know for the state of oklahoma it is calculated on how much each party makes, the number of kids, how much time is spent with the kids, and of course medical care %'s and daycare %'s. It is not just some magic number made up. There is an actual computation that is fairly accurate for people.

OKDHS CS
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#50]
$0. I kept the kids. Which means I have to pay everything, she provides nothing.
As if it's any different than before.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top