Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use Shun and Global in the kitchen.

What about in the bedroom?

My own of course, they're long and thick.

I LOL'd

Is that where you came up with the "Hogbody" name?

I wish. No one would buy a knife called Pinkie McMidgetstein.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No insult intended. I wouldn't be bothered if someone cut a rope with my knife.

Thanks.  You can understand, of course, why I took it that way.  You singled out my post specifically to say, essentially, "your knife really isn't that nice.  It might as well be made of cheap stainless."  

I'm glad you wouldn't be bothered.  I, and many others - including my sis-in-law who went to a bona fide culinary school and has been featured in a couple LA magazines, and at least 2 posters in this thread - thought that it was very poor form for the rep to abuse my knife that way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm no great chef, so don't have a collection of expensive and rare knives.  The workaday set in a wood block is a Henckels, but don't remember which line.  I sharpen them myself on bench stones, when they (rarely) need it.  Usually just touch them up with a steel.

My "Dad uses it only" knife is a Messermeister San Moritz Elite chef's knife.  Imagine, if you will, my outrage when a Cutco representative used it to cut a "food grade" rope as part of their product demo.   I wasn't home, and my wife couldn't stop the representative in time.  That prompted a livid letter to their corporate HQ.  The knife now sits up on a high shelf in a plastic blade protector, away from guests who might be using the kitchen.

That knife isn't all that.  I don't think it's junk, but it might as well be plain old 420HC stainless steel.

I never claimed it was a wickedly expensive high carbon steel knife, just that it was my nicest knife.  Thank you for bashing my choice of cutlery, though.  It was a present from my father.  Would you care to insult him, too?

Would you be nonchalant if someone took your new knife and cut a rope with it?

Have a nice day to you, too.

No insult intended.  I wouldn't be bothered if someone cut a rope with my knife.  

This, I'm trying to understand what the big deal is?  I mean if he cut through a steel cable or something.  But A rope?  Did the blade fall off or crumble on contact with rope?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't seem to have a picture of the knife roll yet.

Started out with Globals and wound up loving Shuns.  My favorite is now my 7" Shun santoku.  A long Shun slicer, a Global 10" chef's knife, Global paring knife and 5" Wusthof serrated are what I usually wind up using out of the block.

ETA:  What the heck, I'll play.  Snapped a quick pic of the knife roll.  I have a couple favorites I use all the time, and some leftover "utility" knives from when I worked in a kitchen...worked then, work now, love 'em.

I would like to get a cleaver and more Shuns, though!

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae81/testify220/KnifeRoll.jpg

Funny, that's exactly what my favorite blade turned out to be.  It is my absolute go-to blade for about everything, I LOVE it!!

My Shuns:  (5" & 8" chef, 4" paring, 6" thin utility, 7" Santoku, Carving, Boning, and Serrated Bread)

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab344/MustardTiger2009/shun1.jpg

You guys too?

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No insult intended. I wouldn't be bothered if someone cut a rope with my knife.

Thanks.  You can understand, of course, why I took it that way.  You singled out my post specifically to say, essentially, "your knife really isn't that nice.  It might as well be made of cheap stainless."  

I'm glad you wouldn't be bothered.  I, and many others - including my sis-in-law who went to a bona fide culinary school and has been featured in a couple LA magazines, and at least 2 posters in this thread - thought that it was very poor form for the rep to abuse my knife that way.

I see what you mean.  I don't think cutting rope with a knife is abuse, so that's why I posted what I did.  Your knives will probably last longer than mine!

On the other hand, I have a custom knife I use for just about everything outdoors.  It has some scratches on the blade and the sheath.  I've chopped kindling with it and it cost me just shy of $400 to have made.  I think of it as a tool though, not a showpiece.  I think we just have different attitude towards knives, that's all.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This, I'm trying to understand what the big deal is? I mean if he cut through a steel cable or something. But A rope? Did the blade fall off or crumble on contact with rope?
Of course the blade didn't fall off.

How about:

1 - Without my permission.

2- Not using one of my plastic cutting boards, and not "cutting" so much as hacking. In the process, she dinged the edge against a hard surface and flat-spotted it.

I'll invite her to use your guys' knives next time. I prefer that people use tools for their intended purposes. I was also just as livid when learning that one of my landlords at an old apartment used my Henckel paring knife to tighten a doorknob screw. The tip is permanently bent from that one.

So, I've now had 2 knives damaged by people using them as non-food tools. That's why I get upset. Not that the knife will be suddenly useless as a kitchen tool, but that it's just wrong to abuse someone else's knives. Since both events resulted in visible damage to the knives, I would classify that as abuse.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, I'm trying to understand what the big deal is? I mean if he cut through a steel cable or something. But A rope? Did the blade fall off or crumble on contact with rope?
Of course the blade didn't fall off.
How about:
1 - Without my permission.
2- Not using one of my plastic cutting boards, and not "cutting" so much as hacking.  In the process, she dinged the edge against a hard surface and flat-spotted it.

I'll invite her to use your guys' knives next time.  I prefer that people use tools for their intended purposes.  I was also just as livid when learning that one of my landlords at an old apartment used my Henckel paring knife to tighten a doorknob screw.  The tip is permanently bent from that one.

So, I've now had 2 knives damaged by people using them as non-food tools.  That's why I get upset.  Not that the knife will be suddenly useless as a kitchen tool, but that it's just wrong to abuse someone else's knives.

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone used one of my knives as a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Global.  Don't look back.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I see what you mean. I don't think cutting rope with a knife is abuse, so that's why I posted what I did. Your knives will probably last longer than mine!

On the other hand, I have a custom knife I use for just about everything outdoors. It has some scratches on the blade and the sheath. I've chopped kindling with it and it cost me just shy of $400 to have made. I think of it as a tool though, not a showpiece. I think we just have different attitude towards knives, that's all.

I don't believe cutting rope in general is abuse for a knife.  It IS abuse when it's my brand-new kitchen knife being bashed up to sell Cutco.

I don't mind a knife being used as a tool, but think they should be used appropriately.  Kitchen knives for kitchen, field knives for field work, dive knives for diving, etc.  Honest scratches and wear marks don't bother me at all.  You should see my EDC - it is well-worn and has plenty of marks on the blade.  I don't use it as a pry bar, just a cutting tool.  I don't think we have opposite views of knives, just differing ideas on abuse.  It's like guns, IMHO.  My Les Baer has much of the finish worn off and a few scratches from honest wear during training and practice.  It's been shot in rain, sun, snow, sleet, and has gone to the gravel-covered ground with me many times either in my hand or in the holster.  That's fine with me, but it's far removed from throwing it down the driveway just because "it can take it."
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want your knives to dull quickly just throw them in the dishwasher when they are dirty.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you want your knives to dull quickly just throw them in the dishwasher when they are dirty.

...Which reminds me of a couple times when my mother-in-law has visited.  She's a wonderful woman, but EVERYTHING goes in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
All of these knives are sharp as hell. I love showing of with tomatoes and cukes.

Primary: The classic trio.  [Sabatier, Henkels, Chicago Cutlery, top to bottom]

Secondaries (very rarely needed) The knife at the top is huge. Worthy of an ICP maniac. Haven't ever used the cleaver.

Gotta keeps my blades sharp. The steel i use almost every time i use the knives.  I use the wheels every year or two. The V-sharpener hasn't been used in about 5 years.

Does not count my spiderco's or my hunting and skinning blades.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top