Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2010 7:23:58 PM EDT
http://www.lowes.com/pd_8542-46-GAWG28FDWG_0_?productId=3044500&Ntt=gladiator&Ntk=i_products&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=gladiator$y=0$x=0

$128 for that 28"x28" cabinet. Lowe's is running a weekend special where you get this one for free if you buy a larger cabinet from the same company (for $248).

Anyone have these already? The company that makes them is called Gladiator.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Gladiators are your standard run of the mill low end garage cabinets. One step up from plastic. get something way better like redline or hercke.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gladiators are your standard run of the mill low end garage cabinets. One step up from plastic. get something way better like redline or hercke.

I'm just looking for something to hold stuff.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If you need it to hold stuff, it will.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you need it to hold stuff, it will.

They seemed decent enough when I looked them over in the store....
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
A real man will make his own cabinets for $50...or less.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience they are shit.   No better than the MDF crap I bought from lowes for my kitchen

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A real man will make his own cabinets for $50...or less.

you need a circular saw, sheet of 3/4 in plywood and a pocket hole kit and drill....
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In my experience they are shit.   No better than the MDF crap I bought from lowes for my kitchen

The sale on the Gladiator cabinets has since expired. They are now doing a similar sale on Black & Decker garage cabinets. Are those any better?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, they look manly but fail to live up to their appearance.

Even a castoff set of good kitchen cabinets from the '70's will do you better.  Seriously.

Or go shopping at IKEA.  At least they don't cover the crap with fake diamond-tread plate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even a castoff set of good kitchen cabinets from the '70's will do you better.  Seriously.

Or go shopping at IKEA.  At least they don't cover the crap with fake diamond-tread plate.

Wow....recommending Ikea as a quality product?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Gladiator Premier stuff for my reloading area.  It appears to be well made.  I wanted all steel cabinets that have locks on them.  They won't keep out any determined thieves, but it will deter your run of the mill thief.

Solid maple tops.
Heavy duty casters.
Magnetic door closures.
Wall hanging system is a breeze (except for hammer drilling anchors into the concrete basement wall).
Every cabinet was square, straight and evenly finished.
Lockable cabinets all keyed alike.
Premier come assembled and nearly ready to hang.
All drawers have ball bearing slides.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, the above statements are not accurate to all the Gladiator equipment out there.

There are multiple lines with multiple quality levels.  I have the 8ft solid maple workbench.  NO MDF there.  All the cabinets I have are well made, square and evenly coated.

I have the premier stuff and it is good to go, within reasonable limitations and expectations.  It won't stop a tank, but it might stop a SmartCar.

ETA:  IKEA??????

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a bunch in my garage.  They are thick gauge metal and not crap at all.  Buy the rails and cabinets and you will be a happy guy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow....recommending Ikea as a quality product?

I never said that Ikea was a a quality product.  It can be a usable product, though.   They don't sugar coat stuff with  pretty polished aluminum that has a diamond tread pattern on it.  The item originally posted does have that sort of frivolous decor on it, though.  

Do you have a better recommendation in mind?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, the above statements are not accurate to all the Gladiator equipment out there.

There are multiple lines with multiple quality levels.  I have the 8ft solid maple workbench.  NO MDF there.  All the cabinets I have are well made, square and evenly coated.

I have the premier stuff and it is good to go, within reasonable limitations and expectations.  It won't stop a tank, but it might stop a SmartCar.

ETA:  IKEA??????

<a href="http://img692.imageshack.us/i/207notsureifseriousi.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5216/207notsureifseriousi.jpg</a>

I have to say, you got me there.  I'm not claiming that Ikea stuff is any kind of superior product.  All I'm saying is that people look at the exterior ("diamond plate  aluminum, it must be tuff!")  of Lowe's/Home Depot items and make a conclusion from that, even if it really doesn't match the apparent strength of the items on display.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top