Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it on a treadmill?

The tornado or the tank?

I don't know that.. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Where is our Russian friend telling us that a tornado would not wreck a Russian tank?
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 1989, 7 tornados devastated Ft. Hood, TX.  I was there and I still have pics somewhere.  Tanks were tossed around like matchbox cars.  Trains and rail cars at the rail head were strewn about.  Helicopters and other aircraft were ripped from their tie downs and sent flying across the base.

So, I would say yes, a tornado can indeed throw a tank around.

Was it early in the year 89?  I got there in october 89 and didn't see any of that

May 13, 1989 IIRC.

Ah ok, yeah, totally cleaned up by the time I got there.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm

An F3 can knock a train over.  The scale goes up to F6.

When did we get F6? It used to go to only go to F5. I remember them discussing a tornado that hit in B'ham when I lived there (well..a bunch hit at the same time...one in particular was scary bad..killed many folks)...they were saying how the winds on it were off the scale for an F5, but that's as high as it went.

1998 apparently.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Tornado_of_April_1998#Birmingham_Supercell

This thing ripped pavement off the ground, pulled one guy out of his basement and tossed him a few hundred yards (he lived amazingly). I guess now it'd be an F6...

And yeah...one that strength would probably take an Abrams for a good ride...

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If it can pick me up there is no hope for a tank.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.k5kj.net/jarrell.htm

check out the images.  These are after a F5 tornado went through Jarrell, Texas on May 27, 1997.  It scrubbed brick buildings off their foundations and sucked the asphalt off the highways.

I have no doubt a monster storm like this would toss a tank around like a toy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In 1989, 7 tornados devastated Ft. Hood, TX.  I was there and I still have pics somewhere.  Tanks were tossed around like matchbox cars.  Trains and rail cars at the rail head were strewn about.  Helicopters and other aircraft were ripped from their tie downs and sent flying across the base.

I was on the range when that happened.  They made us button up the tanks and get in fox holes.  Our tanks slid about a foot but never turned over.  I was with 3/278th
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was on the range when that happened.  They made us button up the tanks and get in fox holes.  Our tanks slid about a foot but never turned over.  I was with 3/278th

The main twisters went straight through the center of the base.  It tore up the 6th Cav airfield (I think it was 6 Cav), motorpool row and the rail head near the hospital.  They then through the area all around the commissary.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The main twisters went straight through the center of the base.  It tore up the 6th Cav airfield (I think it was 6 Cav), motorpool row and the rail head near the hospital.  They then through the area all around the commissary.

Damn
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If it can take out this train, then yes.

Train vs Tornado
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd feel comfortable driving one into a tornado as big as an F3. (Which is now my ultimate goal in life )  Any bigger and I'd be driving away at full speed with the cannon pointed at the tornado (and since it's a decommissioned tank ) making BOOM noises.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it on a treadmill?

The tornado or the tank?

I don't know that.. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/pythonorbit/terry%20gilliam/holy%20grail/bridgekeeper.jpg

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thats why they call it "the finger of god"...
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't remember exactly when....but a few yrs ago an F5 ran thru a TX subdivision...the aerial aftermath footage of the area showed NOTHING but muddy grass and what appeared to be faint outlines of what WERE home foundations....unreal stuff.

I'm pretty sure any tank would be FUBARed by that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure if it hit it in the right spot it could...

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'd feel comfortable driving one into a tornado as big as an F3. (Which is now my ultimate goal in life
)  Any bigger and I'd be driving away at full speed with the cannon pointed at the tornado (and since it's a decommissioned tank
) making BOOM noises.

I would accompany.

The problem is trying to position a slow moving tank to intercept a tornado.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is it on a treadmill?

uh oh, you might as well have divided by zero
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Here is a pic just for fun of a tornado I intercepted in late April of this year in the TX panhandle.

This will be one I will always remember, due to the storms speed - 20kt and its longevity, about 15 minutes or more.

http://www.supercellhunter.com/torn.jpg

You weren't in Lubbock this weekend were you? Just saw a bunch of you crazy bastards headed southwest out of town as fast as they could.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is a pic just for fun of a tornado I intercepted in late April of this year in the TX panhandle.

This will be one I will always remember, due to the storms speed - 20kt and its longevity, about 15 minutes or more.

You weren't in Lubbock this weekend were you? Just saw a bunch of you crazy bastards headed southwest out of town as fast as they could.

Nope,

Wasn't me.

I love a panhandle chase. I try to make at least one or two every year. The landscape is awesome and excellent for viewing severe weather for a distance. Although western Kansas has much better road options it doesn't have the magic of the panhandle. Ill be back again soon. Maybe as soon as this Wednesday.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Epic Awesomeness for Evar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls9sVVfyT-Y

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
If they can derail a train a MBT is nothing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

MBT?

- Battle Tank?

I explained in earlier posts. Its a "surface area" thing. A tank is squat low to the ground with a wide base. Two totally different scenarios, although the same for folks who don't know any better. Not trying to be a know it all but there is a HUGE difference.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Doubt it, but I guess it's possible with enough force.  A tank is a lot of structurally stout mass in a very small footprint.  Comparing them to buildings is silly...

The real question, is if one could flip Object 279...

Object 279 was created as an expirement after the Soviets concluded that many otherwise operational tanks were simply flipped over by a nuclear shock wave.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Would the crew survive?
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope,

Wasn't me.

I love a panhandle chase. I try to make at least one or two every year. The landscape is awesome and excellent for viewing severe weather for a distance. Although western Kansas has much better road options it doesn't have the magic of the panhandle. Ill be back again soon. Maybe as soon as this Wednesday.

Figured it was a long shot but there were probably 6 groups including TIV2.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope,

Wasn't me.

Figured it was a long shot but there were probably 6 groups including TIV2.

Yeah the TIV2 is everywhere it seems. I have been on about 6 chases this year and seen them about 4 times. I wish I had the funding they do. I would just chase full time.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Random fact but the tallest building to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado is in Lubbock. The Lubbock Police Chief issued an order that looters would be shot on sight right after the storm passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_Lubbock_tornado#Aftermath

The 271-foot (83 m) tall Great Plains Life Building was
actually twisted by the tornado, and was damaged so badly, many thought
it would collapse; several radio towers on the roof were twisted or
broken off. Much of the plaster in the stairwell walls between the 4th
and 16th floors had cracked, and 60% of the building's windows were
shattered. A foot of permanent deformation damage occurred at the steel
frame on the south side, and three of the building's four elevators were
damaged with the support rails bent. In spite of the severity of the
damage and amid cries to demolish, the owners chose to repair it
instead, and it still stands; this building is believed to be the
tallest building to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Random fact but the tallest building to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado is in Lubbock. The Lubbock Police Chief issued an order that looters would be shot on sight right after the storm passed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_Lubbock_tornado#Aftermath

The 271-foot (83 m) tall Great Plains Life Building was actually twisted by the tornado, and was damaged so badly, many thought it would collapse; several radio towers on the roof were twisted or broken off. Much of the plaster in the stairwell walls between the 4th and 16th floors had cracked, and 60% of the building's windows were shattered. A foot of permanent deformation damage occurred at the steel frame on the south side, and three of the building's four elevators were damaged with the support rails bent. In spite of the severity of the damage and amid cries to demolish, the owners chose to repair it instead, and it still stands; this building is believed to be the tallest building to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado.

Interesting story Texaspyro21 ,

And another one - About the only thing left in Greensburg, Ks standing were the COOP grain towers.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tornadoes have tossed locomotives around like toys.  One of sufficient force would throw a tank around like a two-year old, too.

This. Tornados have hauled whole sections of trains right off the tracks, and trains are a shitload more massive than an MBT.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#31]

i feel like Im having a conversation with myself here.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tornadoes have tossed locomotives around like toys.  One of sufficient force would throw a tank around like a two-year old, too.

This. Trains have hauled whole sections of trains right off the tracks, and trains are a shitload more massive than an MBT.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There are these things called "typographical errors" aka typos. At least give me a moment to fix it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#33]
The tornado that rolled through Fort Stewart in... 1998-99? took up trees, destroyed some buildings, flipped a lot of cars around, but did nothing to the tanks but tear off the covers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Tornados have hauled whole sections of trains right off the tracks, and trains are a shitload more massive than an MBT.

Dude...

Train cars, like Semis, are easy to knock over because of their weakness to the sides.  A tank has no such weak spots.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are these things called "typographical errors" aka typos. At least give me a moment to fix it.

I was showing my frustration as I have explained a couple of times in this thread that a tank doesn't have the surface area that a train does. The trains, Semis etc.. are effected by high winds due to their surface area. A tank would fair much better than any train.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets say like a decommissioned Abrams. Weighing a tad over 60 tons or so......

The tanks has a wider wheel base than a train that is on rails and possibly weighs more. I'm not saying that it can't happen. I've just never heard of it happening before.

A single modern locomotive weighs 200 tons just by its self and I have seen pics of them not only blown over but blown clear of the tracks.

I have no doubt given the right circumstances a tank would be moved.

Thing about a train though is it has all that flat surface area being hit by winds... Even in high speeds I think they have to slow down quite a bit to remain stable... Whereas a tank is relatively low profile. Think of when you are in the highway in a sedan and it gets windy, and when you are in a minivan... The difference is pretty severe.

Someone said it's happened in the past; I would be interested in some pictures. I just can't imagine a 70 ton Abrams being overturned. But anythings possible.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#37]
As previous posters stated, yes
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#38]
The tornado that I survived

May 31, 1985 Newton Falls, Ohio

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#39]
There was a thread like this one quite a while back and I seem to recall that the Abrams tank was designed as a reverse lifting body to survive the mach force winds from a nuclear weapon.

The Abrams was designed to fight the Ruskis in WW III. I'd think they would have taken that into consideration.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks a little small but you never know.

<a href="http://img375.imageshack.us/i/tornado.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4973/tornado.jpg</a>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Damn, that's fugly.

Seriously fugly.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

There was a thread like this one quite a while back and I seem to recall that the Abrams tank was designed as a reverse lifting body to survive the mach force winds from a nuclear weapon.

The Abrams was designed to fight the Ruskis in WW III. I'd think they would have taken that into consideration.

Agreed,

Again, I done told everyone here the Dominator and the TIV withstood F4 winds on a Mythbusters episode. None of them come close to approaching 60+ tons. Additionally neither of them have as wide of wheel base.

I would confidently if given a chance sit out a strong destructive tornado in an Abrahams tank.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I was showing my frustration as I have explained a couple of times in this thread that a tank doesn't have the surface area that a train does. The trains, Semis etc.. are effected by high winds due to their surface area. A tank would fair much better than any train.

the question in my mind is would the rotating force of tornado winds have the same effect as straight line winds on the tank.  we all know that part of what provides a planes lift is the shape of the wing - flat on the bottom and a long curve on the top.  essentially, a tank, if pointed in the right direction, is the same.  albeit a rough curve.  it seems it would have to be pointed into the wind for this to occur.  that kind of math is beyond me, but i think a guy could figure out how fast of a wind it would take to lift the weight of a tank.  we already know that the fastest measured wind speed is, iirc, 318 mph.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Flying around a tornado in a tank, that would be cool as hell.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe a movie "Nuclear Tornado" Exists...discuss.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

flight yes, landing no.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

flight yes, landing no.

lol, good point

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MBT?

- Battle Tank?

I explained in earlier posts. Its a "surface area" thing. A tank is squat low to the ground with a wide base. Two totally different scenarios, although the same for folks who don't know any better. Not trying to be a know it all but there is a HUGE difference.

Further, the train wasn't really "man=handled" by the tornado.  It just came off the tracks a little, and then the momentum of the train caused the true destruction.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the question in my mind is would the rotating force of tornado winds have the same effect as straight line winds on the tank.  we all know that part of what provides a planes lift is the shape of the wing - flat on the bottom and a long curve on the top.  essentially, a tank, if pointed in the right direction, is the same.  albeit a rough curve.  it seems it would have to be pointed into the wind for this to occur.  that kind of math is beyond me, but i think a guy could figure out how fast of a wind it would take to lift the weight of a tank.  we already know that the fastest measured wind speed is, iirc, 318 mph.
Air getting under the tank is something to be concerned about. This would hypothetically create a vacuum as you speak of the planes wing. Math is beyond me as well. I have seen lots of destruction that blew my mind. Boats up in big trees and wrapped around the trunk, other weird shit. I have seen vehicles and trees, homes hit by f4 winds. I just seriously doubt the Tank thing. Besides F5 tornadoes are as rare as hens teeth. I would say your average tornado is probably F2. To mobilize an Abrahams onto an f5 storm and intercept the tornado would be like winning the lottery to begin with.

I dunno but im still going to say no problem and especially in F4 winds. Additionally a rotating wind wouldn't be in a tight enough pattern IMO to make a difference in the physics of straight line vs rotating winds. I could be wrong.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Unless a chimp is holding the tank down I think it's going flying.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top