Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2010 10:13:00 AM EDT
I am thinking about giving some friends of mine some introductory pistol safety instruction and think some photos of accidental gunshot wounds could be very instructive.  I know I've seen a bunch of these posted in various "I shot myself" threads and am hoping someone has already gathered and saved for handy distribution.

Thanks,

Sauce
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Why does it have to be accidental? A gunshot wound is the same if you did it or someone else. Your friends will never know.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why does it have to be accidental? A gunshot wound is the same if you did it or someone else. Your friends will never know.

Accidental wounds are a different color, duh.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I find a certain strength in the pictures and stories from guys who "thought it was unloaded" etc. and put a round through their hand or leg.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember a thread a while back where a member shot himself in the thigh.

Lots of blood.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone else had there friend shoot them also...If I remember correctly he got an air ambulance ride to the hospital.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
theres always google......
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That was my exact first thought.

Check out some forensics textbooks; some universities with pathology residencies may have online photo sources too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Stupid GD, making me do stuff I wanted it to do ....

Here's the thread where the guy's buddy shot him in the arm with a gun he thought was unloaded:
Thread

That's all a quick Google search turns up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my exact first thought.

Check out some forensics textbooks; some universities with pathology residencies may have online photo sources too.

I think accidental gunshots are more instructive because everyone knows that bad things happen when you intend to shoot someone.  It's the idea that people who think they are skilled still accidentally shoot themselves or friends that will help them to be more careful.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]
oops
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Stupid GD, making me do stuff I wanted it to do ....

Here's the thread where the guy's buddy shot him in the arm with a gun he thought was unloaded:

Thread

That's all a quick Google search turns up.

That one was worth a read to due to the costs incurred.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in a picture posting mood so, here you go.

.40 caliber

My right leg.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
tag for the wife
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#14]
That buffed right out, right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Someone else had there friend shoot them also...If I remember correctly he got an air ambulance ride to the hospital.

Hey, I didn't HAVE him shoot me... He kind of made that decision on his own!

There ya go, hope they help.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Tag for late.

I think I have some saved on my laptop at home.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#20]
oww. That must hurt. someone remind me never to shoot myself
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]

I have a picture that I've heard was a ND from an M60, which is supported by the downward angle of the path of the bullet through the leg.

But it has balls in it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a picture that I've heard was a ND from an M60, which is supported by the downward angle of the path of the bullet through the leg.

But it has balls in it.

God forbid. Dood thing medics and doctors just close there eyes when someone's neked.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Just got off work so, I'm a little late. It was not self inflicted. It was dumbass friend inflicted. He wasn't paying complete attention to what he was doing and at some point placed a loaded magazine in his pistol. A few minutes later he decided to "dry" fire to make sure he had reassembled everything correctly and I just happened to be walking by. It was less than pleasant.
Considering how skinny I am (6'5, 170 lbs), I'm amazed how little damage was done. Other than the obvious holes, I only had a hairline fracture on the fibula.
Yeah, it eventually buffed out.

I don't think the bullet even started to deform passing through my leg. All the damage to it came from hitting a wall.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#24]

I hope that guy lives a good healthy life, I went through all of his updates and once he finally gets mobile his wife dies.

I can only wish him the best with admitting his own mistake and moving on with it, damn it I hate doing to sleep after reading depressing stories like that, I will have dreams of my inlaws now.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn  
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Just got off work so, I'm a little late. It was not self inflicted. It was dumbass friend inflicted. He wasn't paying complete attention to what he was doing and at some point placed a loaded magazine in his pistol. A few minutes later he decided to "dry" fire to make sure he had reassembled everything correctly and I just happened to be walking by. It was less than pleasant.

Considering how skinny I am (6'5, 170 lbs), I'm amazed how little damage was done. Other than the obvious holes, I only had a hairline fracture on the fibula.

I don't think the bullet even started to deform passing through my leg. All the damage to it came from hitting a wall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/lee_h15/Picture051.jpg

looks like ball ammo, a testament as to why it is important to carry expanding ammo.

ETA: disregard, not sure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh you need pics?? BRB I'm loading the 44 mag...
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#28]
This book, the PRACTICAL HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION: TACTICS PROCEDURES AND FORENSIC TECHNIQUES by Geberth has some 'wonderful' gun shot pictures. The one I have in mind was about a guy who committed suicide by firing a high powered rifle under his chin. You talk about pizza!

The book is rather expensive, my copy in the last century cost me around $80-90......but you might be able to find it in a university library.

Equally, as I looked into this topic a little further, I found this forensic journal source with "wonderful" pictures in various articles.....maybe what you want is in there somewhere (potential heads up: I'm on university computers right now and I may be able to see this because of that priv).
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Airbourne AmberLamps
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Not nearly as bad as some others have have shared.  Smarted a little, but it did not hit bones or anything important. It did bleed like crazy for a couple of days.

Photo at ER:

...about a week later:

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Photos don't help.  

Showing photos of gory car accidents in driver's training doesn't make a person a better driver either.

Lecturing doesn't help.

Here is one thing that makes a person a safer shooter - it is called monkey see/monkey do and it is one on one.

1.  you tell the person to do everything that you do.
2.  you pick up the pistol and put it in a safe direction.  you put it down and have the student pick it up and point it in a safe direction.
3.  you pick up the pistol, point it in a safe direction, and then drop the magazine.  You then have the student do it.
4.  you pick up the pistol, point it in a safe direction, drop the magazine and open the slide.  Then you have the student do it.

You are having the student go through the process of making his weapon safe.  You teach through the point of loading and unloading. Monkey see/monkey do ingrains a procedure of making safe in the student.

Before the wack jobs post that a revolver doesn't have a slide, the point is that you teach a procedure on a one on one basis.  It builds confidence and skills as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Photos don't help.

Showing photos of gory car accidents in driver's training doesn't make a person a better driver either.

Lecturing doesn't help.

Here is one thing that makes a person a safer shooter - it is called monkey see/monkey do and it is one on one.

1. you tell the person to do everything that you do.

2. you pick up the pistol and put it in a safe direction. you put it down and have the student pick it up and point it in a safe direction.

3. you pick up the pistol, point it in a safe direction, and then drop the magazine. You then have the student do it.

4. you pick up the pistol, point it in a safe direction, drop the magazine and open the slide. Then you have the student do it.

You are having the student go through the process of making his weapon safe. You teach through the point of loading and unloading. Monkey see/monkey do ingrains a procedure of making safe in the student.

Before the wack jobs post that a revolver doesn't have a slide, the point is that you teach a procedure on a one on one basis. It builds confidence and skills as well.

I think this guys nails it.

Trying to scare them into safety with gorey pictures is more likely to make them... well... afraid, not necessarily safe.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Photos don't help.  

Lecturing doesn't help.

2.  you pick up the pistol and put it in a safe direction.  you put it down and have the student pick it up and point it in a safe direction.
3.  you pick up the pistol, point it in a safe direction, and then drop the magazine.  You then have the student do it.
4.  you pick up the pistol, point it in a safe direction, drop the magazine and open the slide.  Then you have the student do it.

You are having the student go through the process of making his weapon safe.  You teach through the point of loading and unloading. Monkey see/monkey do ingrains a procedure of making safe in the student.

I agree, though I think what really helps is having someone watching you for the first hour you are handling a pistol and pointing out every time you point it somewhere you shouldn't.  I think many people just don't have awareness of where the muzzle is pointing and being reminded a bunch early on helps build good awareness.

I wasn't looking so much for gory pictures as pictures that remind you that people can and do accidentally shoot themselves and others.  I actually feel like the post-op stitches pictures and stories are the best at remind you of the long term consequences of getting lazy with gun safety.

Thanks for the links and pictures.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#34]
http://www.giltweasel.com/pics/DisasterDuro/

There's one I know personally.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Photos don't help.  

Lecturing doesn't help.

I agree, though I think what really helps is having someone watching you for the first hour you are handling a pistol and pointing out every time you point it somewhere you shouldn't.  I think many people just don't have awareness of where the muzzle is pointing and being reminded a bunch early on helps build good awareness.

I wasn't looking so much for gory pictures as pictures that remind you that people can and do accidentally shoot themselves and others.  I actually feel like the post-op stitches pictures and stories are the best at remind you of the long term consequences of getting lazy with gun safety.

Thanks for the links and pictures.

This is true. I have never accidentally shot someone (something I can't say for my former buddy... ) because I never point guns at people, loaded or unloaded. I've had a few rounds touch off earlier than I intended, but they were pointed down range, so it didn't really matter.

If there was one rule never to be broken, it would be muzzle awareness. If you don't point the gun at something you don't want to destroy, limited "bad" can come out of having an ND. If my buddy had paid attention to where the end of the gun was pointed, I'd be graduating from the police academy in 12 days and there might be a hole in a few DVD's of mine, or the wall, but not me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/lee_h15/Picture051.jpg

Talk about wrong place at the wrong time.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you are back to normal!
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm betting that stung a little.

How do you go on for debris in the wound and infection? What was the healing time like....?

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Can we include make and model of pistol?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Can we include make and model of pistol?  

Mine was a Glock 19 (9mm of course), Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+ ammo.

Oh, and in before the Glock haters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top