Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2010 5:20:21 PM EDT
If you were to put dry ice in a zip lock bag and push out all the air
so it is as flat as possible then seal it, what would happen?
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It would off gas and pop the zip loc bag.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It would get warm and still turn into gas.  

What are you expecting?  It to turn into a bomb?  Like said... if it expands enough... the could pop the bag open.  

Meh.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it.  It will inflate the baggie.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Put some in a coke bottle with a little water and put the lid back on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It would still take off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was still in high school, I worked at a grocery store.  I used to take a piece of dry ice out of the container that the ice cream was shipped in, and put it in my Windex bottle with the spray top not screwed on.  When putting up stock, I kept the Windex to clean the shelf, and I would set it near me as I worked.  The bubbling blue liquid got alot of strange looks from shoppers as they walked by.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And throw the thing as far as you can!

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And throw the thing as far as you can!

Quickly

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Now, if you put the dry ice into a strong container that can withstand at least 1200 PSI, the dry ice would turn into a fluid.  Below about  88 º F, it will be in a liquid.  Above that temperature, it will be supercritical.  Not a liquid but not a gas.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
edit, wrong thread lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Now, if you put the dry ice into a strong container that can withstand at least 1200 PSI, the dry ice would turn into a fluid.  Below about  88 º F, it will be in a liquid.  Above that temperature, it will be supercritical.  Not a liquid but not a gas.

As seen with paintball tanks :)

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
But only if it's on a treadmill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You divide by zero.

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It would off gas and pop the zip loc bag.

Thus releasing CO2 into the atmosphere, pissing off Al Gore, and causing polar bears to drown

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Windex bottle reminded me of some transgressions in my past...

When I first started naval aviation, back in those days the pins that held the Tomcat engines in were shrunk with dry ice for removal.  At the end of the job, they'd just throw out pounds of dry ice on the sewer grates on the flight line.  I've always had a fascination with this stuff, as in my little mountain town where I grew up we didn't have anything like that to play with...

Turns out that if you take a General Purpose cleaner bottle (the kind made by Lighthouse for the Blind Industries––military guys, you know what I mean), unscrew it, rinse it out, fill it with chunks of dry ice.  Remove the clear tube from the squirter/pump assembly so all  you have is a pump/cap.  Top it off with hot water (it will immediately violently outgas) and immediately screw the pump cap back on the bottle WHILE HOLDING THE PLUNGER DOWN.  This is important!  While the plunger is being held down, all the gas comes out the nozzle...But as soon as you let go of that thing, you've got about 3-7 seconds before the container explodes, and quite loudly––sending freezing water everywhere.  Basically, it becomes an ice-water grenade.

We used to make these and throw them into other shops––great fun at STRIKE in Pax River, MD back in the late 80's.  I'm pretty sure they'd send us to mast for that now in today's navy.

You could always tell when the mechs had just done an engine change, as there wouldn't be any pump-bottles of any sort available throughout the hangar the next day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top