Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2010 5:00:53 AM EDT
I have a few small bare spots on my lawn and some grass seed.  Instead of making the 1/2 hour one way trip to the nearest store, I was thinking about using up some potting soil we have laying around.  Would it work?
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah,why not. Potting soil is probably just better sifted or something
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure, potting soil is a lot more expensive than top soil, but it should work just fine for grass.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
It'll wash off first rain, since it is 80% mulch.  But it'll do for small spots.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It'll wash off first rain, since it is 80% mulch.  But it'll do for small spots.

If it washes, off it will take the seed with it?  What about if the grass germinates and sets down its roots?

Maybe this isn't such a good idea...
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Potting soil has perlite and vermiculite in it to keep it from packing around roots, plus it's usually heat sterilized. topsoil is just sifted soil.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's what I did (I hope it works):

I scratched up the existing dirt and planted the grass.  Then I threw the potting soil over it (to kind of blanket it).

I then watered.  Hopefully, the potting soil will act as a sort of insulation, keeping the seeds warm and moist.

If it works, it works.  If not, I have to go to the store to try a different approach.  If I don't see anything by mid-month I'll start over.  Late April isn't too late to start grass, is it?

It's just small spots, but I wanted to get it underway today without making a run to the store.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't work too well.  It washes right off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#8]
pic axe said spots (or till) and mix potting soil, lay seed and cover with straw and or landscape netting if it is on a grade.

DONE

OR if you have to make the almighty 30 min. god awful mission trek to get that stuff too, just get the soil while there
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#9]
If your grass seed is more that about a quarter inch deep you'll have emergene problems.  Grass seed almost needs to be on top of the soil.  Depending on how much potting soil you put on top of it, I'd sprinkle some seed on it and then water it in again.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, that's a very expensive item but it will work fine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]
they sell bags of top soil.  would be better for the job your looking to do.  its not a bad idea to mix some potting soil with your top soil for doing small spots .  
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Use the right tool for the job. Potting soil is for potted plants.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Dig a hole in your backyard and transfer the dirt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#14]
You're going to need to at least throw down some hay over top of the potting soil.  That might hold it together long enough to let the grass start.  If you're going out for hay though, get a bag of topsoil too
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And backfill the hole with Democrats.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Holy shit.  That's genius, seriously.  I wish I would have read your post before I did this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top