Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:26:23 AM EDT
Like the title says, I have always liked the MG42/MG1/MG2/MG3 and have toyed with the idea of getting one for a very long time, I have gotten to fire a BRP MG42 build in 8mm Mauser and with the .308 conversion on it in a MG3 tripod mount and I must say it was a ton of fun, and was easily the fastest firing semi I have ever seen in that setup (outside of a bumpfiring AK74 or AR)

I know some here have bought the LWA M53, and was wondering how these guns were as I have heard mixed reviews. I have also heard that some of the earlier ones had issues with the FCG which caused some to rip off a burst every now and again but supposedly that has been fixed. So what says the hive? Should I try to find me a Semi MG?

Overall I would like to get the M53 and the .308 conversion for it as well. I think it would be a very fun toy.

Do want

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Should shell out 35k for a near nib one.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160703121
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Always wanted one. You should get the vehicle mount for it, where the germans would mount an MG42 with it on top of tanks.

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You know I hate you right

If there was one gun that I would spend 35k on it would be a MG42/MG3 I absolutely love the damn things, and if I was procuring weapons for our US mil I can honestly tell you we would no longer be using FN M240bs
. Nothing says great morning like hearing a MG3 chatter off 1500 RPM of .308

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Always wanted one. You should get the vehicle mount for it, where the germans would mount an MG42 with it on top of tanks.

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/MG42_VEHICLE_MOU_4b0d9bc3cb343.png

I wonder if that would mount onto the roll bars of a jeep wrangler with the top off

Would make for an interesting bunny blaster video like Steve-Oh posted a while back

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#6]
What is involved and who does the .308 conversion?
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What is involved and who does the .308 conversion?

http://www.robertrtg.com/mg308conv.html

Apparently its the feed tray, top cover, barrel, and booster that is needed as the bolt and everything from 8mm match that of the .308, links and all are the same.

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Semi-auto beltfed guns are ALOT of fun...........until the new wears off.

They are heavy, require alot of accessories, tie up alot of money, take alot of time to
set up, expensive to feed, and aren't worth pulling out of the safe and getting dirty if you are not going to
shoot at least 1000 rounds.

Granted the MG42 is more portable and easier to shoot than the Browning 1919, but it will eventually end up a safe
queen that only sees the light of day every couple of years.

But on the plus side, they look great and they are a neat gun that most people do no have in
their collection.

Before you buy talk to more people that have owned semi-auto beltfeds for 5 years or longer and
ask them how often they shoot theirs anymore.

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They are heavy, require alot of accessories, tie up alot of money, take alot of time to

set up, expensive to feed, and aren't worth pulling out of the safe and getting dirty if you are not going to

Granted the MG42 is more portable and easier to shoot than the Browning 1919, but it will eventually end up a safe

But on the plus side, they look great and they are a neat gun that most people do no have in

their collection.

Before you buy talk to more people that have owned semi-auto beltfeds for 5 years or longer and

I understand that they are kind of a novelty, but my uncles best friend is a pretty well known builder of semi beltfeds (I think he builds M2s, 1919s, Maxims, and MG34s and MG42s) and I have yet to talk to him about it as I really need to do, because if I do decide to venture into this I could probably have him build me a very nice MG42. I think I would get plenty of use out of it as you have said the MG is quite a bit more portable than say a 1919. If I do get the MG3 tripod I highly doubt it would get used much except for when I go to my cabin or a big shoot where it would be nice to have it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Buddy has the Semi in 8mm loves it paid a pretty penny for it but it is cool as all get out
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
They have this at the local fun show. Not sure of the price, but the tag looks like it says $2995.

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't know if I could resist the temptation of rigging up a power tool to actuate the trigger if I had one...
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I mean how cool would this be, without the kinks of course

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Don't know if I could resist the temptation of rigging up a power tool to actuate the trigger if I had one...

And off to Club Fed you go!

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They have this at the local fun show. Not sure of the price, but the tag looks like it says $2995.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1528/dscn0638.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/4149/dscn0639.jpg

Oh good lord, I will have that beautiful PPSH and 98k while I am at it

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

their collection.

I understand that they are kind of a novelty, but my uncles best friend is a pretty well known builder of semi beltfeds (I think he builds M2s, 1919s, Maxims, and MG34s and MG42s) and I have yet to talk to him about it as I really need to do, because if I do decide to venture into this I could probably have him build me a very nice MG42. I think I would get plenty of use out of it as you have said the MG is quite a bit more portable than say a 1919. If I do get the MG3 tripod I highly doubt it would get used much except for when I go to my cabin or a big shoot where it would be nice to have it.

The MG3 tripod is a work of art and is built like a tank. Mine was made by H&K back in the 1960's, and still looks brand new.

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

their collection.

The MG3 tripod is a work of art and is built like a tank. Mine was made by H&K back in the 1960's, and still looks brand new.

Here is a pic of my gun and tipod:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1369/im0006306ixos7.jpg

Beautiful setup you have Herman, and I would have to agree with you the tripod is absolutely a work of art, everytime I go with my uncle to visit his friend and see his semi MG sitting on its mount I fall more in love with it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2010 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

their collection.

Here is a pic of my gun and tripod:

<a href="http://img34.imageshack.us/i/im0006306ixos7.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1369/im0006306ixos7.jpg</a>

IIRC, I've ran a few rounds through that gun.  

I don't shoot my semi 1919 much because of the price of ammo.

However, I shoot the shit out of my Razorback.  It is a belt-fed .22lr AR upper, the model that replaced the LM-7.

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Heres mine
MG42
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Heres mine

MG42

One word for you: Awesome-awesome-awesome!

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
You're already in Kentucky.
Stop by and see Centerfire Systems.

MG34

M53
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

922(o) bites.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Here is a site with instructions on how to build your own.....http://www.mg42.us/

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#24]
My full auto MG42

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You're already in Kentucky.

Stop by and see Centerfire Systems.

MG34

M53

Thanks Sipcat I think you just found who I will be buying from

You know, I am in Tx atleast once a month, I would love to have a look at a True MG42

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#26]

That is a very nice set up and I am glad to see it on a lafette and not a post war HK set up, but you need to read the field manual on setting it up

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

their collection.

ask them how often they shoot theirs anymore

The same applies to pistol copies of Submachine guns: (kept with a sloppy application of oil, in the safe)

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Heres mine
MG42

I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heres mine

MG42

I'm jealous!

Very

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Turn your old Ruger® 10 / 22 into a fierce - looking MG - 42 replica! plus Norrell 10/22 select fire "trigger pack with a SS HB might be fun and cheaper ...
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Turn your old Ruger® 10 / 22 into a fierce - looking MG - 42 replica! plus Norrell 10/22 select fire "trigger pack with a SS HB might be fun and cheaper ...

damn, what are they gonna think of next

If it was actually beltfed like those .22 AR uppers that would be pretty damn sweet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top