Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
Just happy to be here!
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:47:48 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2010 3:51:38 PM by HardShell]
I searched, if it's a DUPE I didn't see it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/the-collapse-of-the-ar-15_b_485957.html

Josh Sugarmann

Executive director of the Violence Policy Center in Washington, DC.

Posted: March 4, 2010 01:55 PM

The Collapse of the AR-15 Assault Weapon Market

One of the greatest talents of the National Rifle Association and the gun industry has been their ability exploit high-profile events to pump up gun sales: Bill Clinton, the Brady Bill, the federal assault weapons "ban," Y2K, September 11th, and now, of course, Barack Obama. Regardless of the event, the solution remains the same: buy a gun, preferably––if industry and gun fan mags are any indication––an AR-15 assault rifle.

Left unstated by the gun lobby, and virtually unnoticed by the news media, is that when gun sales do rise (and that isn't always the case despite the gun lobby's best efforts), they eventually drop––sometimes precipitously.

And sometimes, as Michael Kassnar, president of AR-15 manufacturer KBI/Charles Daly, explains, there's a "market collapse." Kassnar should know––he's just shut his business' doors.

According to the March 1, 2010, edition of The New Gun Week:

One factor that contributed to the company's closure was what Kassner called a "collapse" of the market in mid-2009 for semiautomatic sport utility rifles, the so-called "black guns" designed on the AR-15 platform.
In other words, AR-15 assault rifles, but let us continue.

He said the rush to purchase those firearms came to a halt in about July, leaving him with a "warehouse full of guns nobody wanted."

Orders for about $8 million worth of firearms were cancelled, he said, leaving KBI/Charles Daly essentially high and dry for the second half of the 2009 sales year. It appeared that the public became less fearful that the Obama administration was going to come after semi-autos, so the panic buying came to an end, Kassnar said....

"The consumer just stopped buying," he said....the "sales blitz lasted about eight months."

Not to worry. In the boom and bust economy that represents gun manufacturing in the U.S.––despite the long-term trends of declining gun ownership ––the NRA and gun industry are always on the lookout for another manufactured crisis to exploit and reel in the "panic" buyer.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
LoBrau
The Virginian
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:49:52 PM
Maybe that'll drive down the price of uppers to something I can afford.

Also, declining gun-ownership? Pfft.
Dave's not here.
AR4U
Brought to you by Carl's Jr.®
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:50:01 PM
I like how that moron attributes the surge of gun purchases to the N RA

I wish I had money to take advantage of the market.
"During the second 100 days, we will design, build and open a library dedicated to my first 100 days." -Barack Obama, May 9 2009
Venkman
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:50:08 PM
LOL!

Without this article I might have bought another AR
LOW2000
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:50:12 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2010 3:51:08 PM by LOW2000]
ShadowAngel
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:51:15 PM
I like how they reference the vpc's stupid study to say firearm ownship is declining, even when every other media source clearly shows it on the rise. But that's Huffpo for you.
It's hard not to be a menace to society when half the population is happy on their knees.
marksman121
FU whale, FU dolpheen!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:51:29 PM
Anyone have a gif. for "clueless"?
M4-AK
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:51:47 PM
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Also, declining gun-ownership? Pfft.

He's slightly wrong. The public bought all they could afford, not all they wanted. Money is tight, that's all. It's the same reason ammo prices are dropping. Soon you'll see people selling from their ammo hoards to get cash.
LoganSackett
Read my blog to meet a hero
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:51:55 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2010 3:52:01 PM by LoganSackett]
It's the Huffington Post. An IQ is optional to work there.
"Go take a long walk on a short pier"----my dad

"Strive for perfection and you will easily surpass excellence"----my dad

".............."---Harpo Marx
Daytona955i
Recoil Junkie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:52:44 PM
Yeah one company that apparently had a poor business model closes.That really shows a total market collapse. Maybe if they hadn't overproduced by so much and were not behind on the demand push...

Economics fail.
The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan
Subconscious
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:53:48 PM
The strongest survive.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the media doesn't understand capitalism.
dark_light
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:54:05 PM
what do you expect from huffington? pro-gun news? the truth?
14point5
Hey Terrorists,... TERRORIZE THIS!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:54:48 PM
I'm still buying, I know others who are as well...
I really like AR-15s and 1911s.
Aimless
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:55:08 PM
A chance to win a Kifaru multi-cam E&E and other prizes
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1001158
Dog needs home: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=154&t=1002501
hellbound
God bless America
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:55:27 PM
many of us called this a couple years ago and refrained from purchasing during the panic...

prices have leveled out, good deals are to be found all over the EE and locally in person, and inventories have been replenished...

it only makes sense that a company that jumped in head first to make a quick buck would soon fail...
I give CD a lot of credit for coming into a saturated market and using input from the user community to build a decent rifle...
unfortunately Charles Daly didn't have any kind of reputation in the AR market, i think that played heavily into their failure...
look at companies like BCM or Spike's or DD or Larue Tactical, they all started in niche markets related to the AR15 and over the past two-three years have all introduced their own AR variants and are doing VERY well...
Bear skin on my back, wolf jaw on my head, Valhall awaits me when I'm dead...
cosmo05
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:55:36 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2010 3:56:13 PM by cosmo05]
Yea, that article's bullshit. I ordered an upper from Bushmaster the other day and they have a 2 week backlog waiting for more barrels to come in.
Holding my position
Seven-Shooter
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:55:44 PM
I'll bet it was people "double backordering", and canceling one of the orders when the other got filled.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Afterwork_Ninja
I'm coming back for that cake bitch!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:55:53 PM
You had me until Huffington Post.

I have no desire to pollute my mind with anything written by those illogical douche bags.
"If someone is so fearful that they are going to start using their weapons to protect their rights, it makes me very nervous that these people have weapons at all." - U.S. Rep Henry Waxman (D-CA)
coldair
6.8 inside
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:56:19 PM
lots of people will no longer discuss whether or not they have a firearms with outsiders so statics would reflect less firearm ownership will be misleading. it sounds funny that lack of sales is causing the down turn.
plus lack of affordable ammo may have the largest effect on gun sales
The reason Carter likes Obama is now he can go to his grave knowing he was not our worst president ever
RRA_223
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:56:22 PM
why wasn't this warehouse full of guns "nobody wanted" not liquidated via fire-sale prices on the internet?

I would have bought... a few.
j_dock2
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:56:34 PM
I feel for Kassnar - I do.

However... the entire industry knew that EBR sales were in a blow-off parabolic direction, and that NEVER lasts forever. (See also "crisis, housing.")

Kassnar's timing couldn't have been worse. It was a business decision and it didn't go as planned. Basically CD got whipsawed, caught a falling knife, etc.

It's how business works.
LightningII
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:56:59 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2010 3:57:16 PM by LightningII]
I'll bet josh sugarmann has a tiny pee-pee.
happycynic
Infidel
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:57:23 PM
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
Yeah one company that apparently had a poor business model closes.That really shows a total market collapse. Maybe if they hadn't overproduced by so much and were not behind on the demand push...

Economics fail.

This. Daley had the misfortune/bad sense to try and first enter the AR market right when the boom ended and the market was saturated with inventory from the established manufacturers. This combined with economic collapse left them high and dry. Simple market economics.
Live Free or Die; Death is Not the Worst of Evils

- Revolutionary General John Stark
Tommytwoguns
A .22 and a .38
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:58:08 PM
I wonder when the bank sale is and how little "$8million" dollars worth of AR's will sell for? If the auction company was smart they would spam Arfcom.
- "In the broad spectrum of bad ideas what's presented in that video ranks somewhere between running with scissors and sticking your pecker in the toaster." - JW777
Fincho
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:58:28 PM
Originally Posted By 14point5:

me too
fosters
FDCC Paparazzi
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:59:00 PM
Hey Josh you cock sucker...Its a semi automatic rifle...Not fucking Assault Weapon you twat!
When I'm good noone remembers...
When I'm bad....noone forgets
genesis
Prairie Dog Slayer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:59:33 PM
Originally Posted By Aimless:

"Fuck em. Prairie dogs had just as much time to evolve and develop high-powered rifles as we did...We win. "
HardShell
Just happy to be here!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:59:59 PM

Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:
You had me until Huffington Post.

I have no desire to pollute my mind with anything written by those illogical douche bags.

Yeah, it popped up in an unrelated news search on Google or I'd never have seen it myself –– can't stand that/them.

But, given the title, and then the author, I knew I had to post it here if wasn't already being roasted lovingly by the Arfcom Army.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
SouthEndXGF
Consumer of Beer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:00:18 PM

Originally Posted By Fincho:
Originally Posted By 14point5:

me too

me 3
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."
EasTexan
Bullets and bayonets refresh all...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:01:16 PM
Guilty....
I killed eight gophers last year and a purebred Tennessee walking horse that was looking at me funny.
Zaphod
Jus zis guy, you know?
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:01:35 PM

Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Would be nice. I have two lowers just begging to be mated....
"We live in an era where nothing is a surprise and everything is an outrage." - Rush Limbaugh
odfox
4/8
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:02:19 PM
Well, I can admit I bought a whole lot more from Oct 2008 to Oct 2009 than I will in the Oct 2009 to Oct 2010 year. Then again, it wasn't just the politics that drove me to buy at a high rate... it was the lack of availability even at high prices. If something came available, I bought it without being very patient.

The NRA had nothing to do with driving me to buy more... it was Obama, Eric Holder and Hilary Clinton. If anything, the NRA was far less worried than I was.

This article seems misleading, beyong the basic observation that demand rises and falls, and some are unprepared for either side of it the curve.

I think demand was PRETTY high still for the 3rd quarter of 2009, so I don't know how anybody ended up with $8 million in rifles that nobody wanted in July. Unless of course they were priced too high or a configuration that nobody was interested in.
"Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. " -Niels Bohr
bullyforyou
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:02:56 PM

i'd wager that most of the people who bought "assault weapons" in a panic after the election aren't NRA members anyhow. this isn't a decline or a collapse in the "assault weapon" market. it's a rapidly growing market that is saturated at the moment.

Seven-Shooter
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:03:09 PM
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
why wasn't this warehouse full of guns "nobody wanted" not liquidated via fire-sale prices on the internet?

I would have bought... a few.

Time to start keeping an eye on CDNN.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
whomper
Thread Killer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:05:57 PM
Josh Sugarmann can fuck off and die.

He is head of a gun control group, and holds one of the few FFL's in DC.

Frost7
Lead Farmer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:06:17 PM
lol, declining ownership.

Wishful thinking, much?
mcantu
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:07:01 PM
Josh Sugarman is the person that came up with how to market 'assault rifle' hysteria in the late 80's. He's famous for saying that if it looks like a machine gun, most people will think its a machine gun and that this could be used in efforts to have them banned...
TheGerman
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:08:45 PM
lmao @ declining ownership

I have never seen so many people with guns in my life.
Bubbles
Luv C3!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:09:47 PM
Originally Posted By whomper:
Josh Sugarmann can fuck off and die.

He is head of a gun control group, and holds one of the few FFL's in DC.

How much for a transfer?

Oh wait, never mind, he won't do them...

1-54-000-01-1C-00725
"Can't Feed Them? Don't Breed Them!" applies to both people and animals.
JAShooters
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:10:29 PM
[Last Edit: 3/4/2010 4:10:40 PM by JAShooters]
AR's are pretty much my entire business - if your prices are fair, you'll move inventory. Though there has been a noticable slowdown, our last gunshow was all but a sell-out.

America-first
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:10:38 PM
"Declining gun ownership" indeed.

In his fucking dreams.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.
3one5
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:15:55 PM
I guess I'm not seeing the decline in price. Can someone point me in the direction of declining prices on AR lowers?
YOYO: "You're On Your Own"
sixnine
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:16:31 PM
Libs live in a constant state of denial, their social ideas demand it.
schizrade
255.255.255.257... The Chuck Norris Subnet
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:17:52 PM

Originally Posted By sixnine:
Libs live in a constant state of denial, their social ideas demand it.

http://www.amazon.com/Intellectuals-Society-Thomas-Sowell/dp/046501948X

"I must study Politicks and War that my sons may have liberty to study Mathematicks and Philosophy."
John Adams

“The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design
Drsalee
E pluribus unum
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:18:21 PM
tag for later
Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

John Adams, 1814
Sixpack595
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:19:02 PM
I'm one of those who laughed at the panic buyers and waited for prices to drop. I stocked up in the early 90s with ammo prices super low. After that I could sit around and wait for great deals to replenish. For new shooters, the panic was a disaster. I had several people I taught how to shoot who decided not to buy a gun because ammo costs were so high. Fewer gun owners means fewer people who will never accept limitations to the 2nd. This boom and bust wave hurt more than just CD.
cyborg543
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:19:35 PM
The AR market is the most crowded with brands.

Due to the enormo-popularity of the guns, virtually everyone is making or marketing them now.

One of the weaker players went bust when a sales frenzy petered out? Big deal.

By the way, we were duped by the evil NRA into buying ARs.

The reason I became a life member of the NRA is so I could truthfully tell liberals that fact and watch them sputter with anger and hatred. Well worth the cost.
EasTexan
Bullets and bayonets refresh all...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:19:59 PM
Declining gun ownership!?!?!?!?!?!

Everybodys got a fucking AR-15 now!

The market is flooded and I will lurk in the shadows until they hit bottom.

I killed eight gophers last year and a purebred Tennessee walking horse that was looking at me funny.
Rosenrot
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:20:09 PM
Charles Daily wasn't always known for their quality to begin with. People that know about guns are somewhat wherry about the name. I think that ultimately led to their demise.

They seen the AR15 market explode and decided they wanting in. Well, old feelings remained and no one wanted to chance their money on a CD AR15 when they could go out and buy a proven manufacture for less money. In the end CD poured a bunch of money into the market hoping to capitalize and failed.

IMO it was because of the companies past reputation for quality. No one is going to pay $1200 on a gamble.
45FMJoe
Vote Barry Goldwater in 2012!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:21:49 PM
Declining gun ownership? Holy shit, even the liberal newspapers have been running stories on the surge of new gun owners.
Operation LARUEMINATI - SS17
Frank_The_Tank
Disjointed Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:22:23 PM
Charles Daly made AR's?
“Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter. ” Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998, p. S4507
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4