Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2015 2:59:19 PM EDT
I'm sick and tired of seeing "SOM" under people's names on here when you know damn well they aren't posting from there.

Can we PLEASE, somehow, link the location to IP address origin?  Or some other way to stop the madness?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The flag and country is set by the user. Some South Carolina members set their location there because the flag is the same as their state flag I believe. IPs are a terrible way to determine physical location anyway. And the location is supposed to be the member's home state and not where they are posting from.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree it's a old tired gimmick.

Some people who fly it think it's Bonnie Blue and call the Civil War the War of Northern Aggression
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The flag and country is set by the user. Some South Carolina members set their location there because the flag is the same as their state flag I believe. IPs are a terrible way to determine physical location anyway. And the location is supposed to be the member's home state and not where they are posting from.
View Quote

South Carolina:

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm sick and tired of seeing "SOM" under people's names on here when you know damn well they aren't posting from there.

Can we PLEASE, somehow, link the location to IP address origin?  Or some other way to stop the madness?
View Quote

why do you care? in what way does it impede you? does it create joinder?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's retarded and gay.  And yes and yes to your other questions!

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
why do you care so much what other people do?  You don't like it don't look at it.  Problem solved...  first world problem
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
why do you care so much what other people do?  You don't like it don't look at it.  Problem solved...  first world problem
View Quote

he's from new york, it's his job to fuck with everyone else
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Poor baby.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where's that in the bylaws?

I set location to where I am physically.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The only problem I have with it is when the poster asks a question that is very specific to their location and don't give their state.  Laws vary from state to state and some bad advice has been given as a result.  Anonymity is ok, but if you want help, tell where you are located.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only problem I have with it is when the poster asks a question that is very specific to their location and don't give their state.  Laws vary from state to state and some bad advice has been given as a result.  Anonymity is ok, but if you want help, tell where you are located.
View Quote

So, it's the same issue as using USA.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]
first world problems
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#13]
People post without a location all the time, how is this any different?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to see the upside down flags go away

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#15]
oh?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, it's really annoying.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
What if I'm in Somalia with USA as my country?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top