Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 11:24:52 AM EDT
We have voluntary icons for country, NRA, veteran, and firearms instructor currently. Should we also have voluntary icons for religion? It could be as simple as Christian, Jewish, Islamic, etc or it could be as detailed as Catholic, Episcopalian, Methodist, etc.

Religion is certainly as important to some as the other available icons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
It would be a source of contention.

Besides that, people lie about their location now.
Do you think all of those members with Somali flags are from Somalia?
What would stop people from lying about religious affiliation just to troll people?

Why is pointing out your religious affiliation important?
Would political affiliation be equally important?
Where does it stop?

Edit to add; you don't even list what state you're from.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Just make them hidden to protect you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
No, not now, not then, not ever.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a Catholic DD214?  I never got mine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a Catholic DD214?  I never got mine.
View Quote

Stamped on my dog tags.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No.
It would be a source of contention.

Besides that, people lie about their location now.
Do you think all of those members with Somali flags are from Somalia?
What would stop people from lying about religious affiliation just to troll people?

Why is pointing out your religious affiliation important?
Would political affiliation be equally important?
Where does it stop?

Edit to add; you don't even list what state you're from.  
View Quote

So, who cares if they aren't accurate? Was it wrong for all the Canadian flags to pop up in support of Canada after the shooting there a few months ago? Big deal.

Is pointing out any status (national, service, NRA, instructor) really important? Of course not. You could argue that nothing on discussion forums in really that important.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So, who cares if they aren't accurate?
View Quote

That's right, who gives a fuck about accuracy?

That kind of shit is for faggots.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, who cares if they aren't accurate?

Who cares if some random dude on the Internet has a Somali flag under his name? I sure don't.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I do.
When some random dude on the internet with a Somali flag starts talking about how much snow he got, or asks questions about "state law", it would be helpful to know where he actually lives.

Do you understand why the true location might be important in certain discussions? That's why I like to know where people live when they post most of the things they talk about. I see now you live in Great Britain rather than the U.S.A., which is a bit confusing.

We have a Religion Forum, which is great.
We don't need little badges.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I do.
When some random dude on the internet with a Somali flag starts talking about how much snow he got, or asks questions about "state law", it would be helpful to know where he actually lives.

Do you understand why the true location might be important in certain discussions? That's why I like to know where people live when they post most of the things they talk about. I see now you live in Great Britain rather than the U.S.A., which is a bit confusing.

We have a Religion Forum, which is great.
We don't need little badges.
View Quote

Got it. It certainly makes sense from the legal question/weather/etc perspective. I'm not sure it matters from the GD perspective but I get your point.

Re: the Union Jack. One of the Catholic guys mentioned running the Vatican flag to signify Catholicism so I did the Union Jack to signify Anglicanism.

My thoughts on the whole religious signifier was along the same lines as the thread below this one where the guy wants state flags. I'd be in favor of the state flags thing too. If they were options, I'd do a Virginia state flag, NRA eagle, Episcopal shield, and put my dog back in my avatar.

I get it, the religious signifier isn't a popular idea. No worries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top