BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColinDoyle] [#1]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Going back to the connex boxes, you just welded a steel door frame into it? I found a kit for $1500 with a steel door, but I didn’t know if I could get away with cheaper for an exterior rain tight opening.
View Quote

Pretty much, but I didn't make any attempt to make the door frame weatherproof.  I sheared strips of steel sheet and welded them to the outside of the door frame to close off the stud openings, and then welded them into the container wall.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I printed out the picture of your stacked boxes and kept it on my desk for months. We are finally moving on our new offices, my dad decided he didn't want stairs with 75 year old knees.

The city has been a royal pain in my ass trying to build anything. I've been able to get away with a couple of small portable buildings, I just ordered another 14x16 portable office/backyard shed with a regular door and windows already installed. I wanted a bigger one, but that would require permits, and I've already spent a fortune dealing with municipal a-holes and getting nowhere. I'll use that for my main office where I can greet customers, print invoices, get paid, etc.

Like I said, I felt I was pushing my luck trying to get something bigger. But my employees still need a break room. The plan is to buy a 40ft connex box. There's a yard across the road from me with 1000 connex boxes and my neighbors around me have a few. No one is going to pay attention if I bring a few more in.  Especially if it's in the middle of my "compound" where you can only see it from the air.  

I need to cut and weld in a door, probably just plasma cut it freehand with a straight edge. Dad wants a window in it too, but I'd rather not. I may make a giant walk in closet out of one end, so I'll have some temperature controlled storage. Then figure out how much insulation I need and put a mini split on it.

I have so much work to do the next 6 months, I need to clone my ass twice.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Someone gave me this rusty C. Parker vise.  I'm not sure how old it is, but I think it's an early one because it doesn't have the early 1900s patent on the casting, and it used a single pivot bolt up through the bottom to cinch it against the bench.  Possibly late 1800s?

I milled a couple holes and flats in the vise base, then got this plate of 1-7/16 steel and put in some spindle time on the Kearney & Trecker 2D to create a pivot foot.  Kinda freestyled it right off the head, no drafting or CNC involved.  Distressed the steel so it looked like an old beat up casting and then hit it with some Nason Ful-Thane paint I had left over from previous jobs.

Cleaned and reapplied grease to everything and reassembled.  It's not a restoration, might revisit it someday and sleeve the screw-to-handle bore, install a needle thrust bearing etc.  I'm going to give it an easy retirement in my hangar, so it mostly just needs to look cool.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColinDoyle] [#4]

Wood and I have a tumultuous relationship, but I needed to pimp out the hangar and I had a bunch of leftover dimensional lumber and my distillery-owning buddy gave me an old dried out whiskey barrel and some bar stools.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top