Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Can anyone help an AR15 brother out and source some Fortaleza 2022 Winter Blend?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 12:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WOAFP:
A fun one tonight. Sotol (related to yucca not an agave) distilled a third time with rattlesnake and local fruits and peppers. Then barrel aged for a short time. Really incredible bottle!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/349595/IMG_20200801_220230_272-1529300.jpg
View Quote

Source to buy?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:28:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#3]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:39:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 10:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#5]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I went through a bottle of that one and really enjoyed it.  I like everything I've had from 1579.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a couple of updates:

Finally received my bottle of Flor del Desierto Sierra. I had tried it in Savannah, GA and wanted my own bottle. I love it and it is such a good sipping Sotol!

Fortaleza Anejo Lote 63a is dang near perfect.

Fortaleza Winter Blend 2022 is very complex and delicious.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Medicin3Man:

Fortaleza Winter Blend 2022 is very complex and delicious.
View Quote

Agreed. A very good pour with a lot going on. It’s a great sipper.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Got this from a co-worker.  El Mayor Reposado, NOM on the back is 1143. Couldn't find much on online other than they now changed NOM to 1603.

Smells good, but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone have any comments about it?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been working on a bottle of El Tesoro Paradiso.    So glad that I bought this one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone try the Don Julio Ultima Reserva?
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:36:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZGR] [#16]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

Did you get it recently?  I’ve been looking for some.

Forgot I kept the empty bottle as a reminder, pulled it out just now and went damn…it’s all gone.

Went to this instead:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/F9996356-4C3F-4BC4-B73C-49D185EE4B0A-2663373.jpg
View Quote

I bought a couple of bottles maybe 2 years ago, but haven't bought any since then.    It looks like Old Town Tequila has it in stock now, but the price has gone up a good amount from when I got mine.  

I don't think you can go wrong with that Cascahuin.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 2:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#17]
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Local liquor store seems to have in stock the entire line of Bozal…..that’s a first around  here.
Which to try…? Hmmmmm….
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Nothing special/desirable, especially if you’re a traditionalist.

Roller mill, fermented in stainless steel tanks, aged in different barrels, blended, standard 80 proof.

Ends up with not much agave flavor if that’s what you’re looking for.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.

I’m fairly new to the tequila/mezcal world. I’ve never been a big drinker but definitely drink for taste.
I picked one up at MSRP for my birthday and will probably crack it open for my 15th anniversary in a couple of months.

I’m now looking at a Herradura Legends Anejo bottle at msrp. Anyone try this?

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZGR] [#21]
I've been drinking some of my Pasote blanco from nom1584.

The old Pasote bottle from 1579 was probably the first really good, traditionally made blanco that I tasted, so I am biased.   I am very disappointed that Pasote moved their brand to NOM1584, and I think the 1579 Pasote is better than 1584 Pasote.

Having said that, I poured myself some 1584 Pasote Blanco tonight.  It's a step down from  the 1579 Blanco, but is still good and I'm enjoying it.

Going forward,  I will stick to blancos from other 1579 brands over 1584 Pasote, but I will enjoy my 1584 Pasote blancos for what they are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:27:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZGR] [#23]
I'm in upstate NY on a business trip this week, and there happens to be a good sized liquor store next to my hotel.   I walked through, and they surprisingly have a great selection of Agave..   I noticed some Pasote blancos and repos on the shelf and decided to check the NOM.  The repos were from 1584, but they had 5 blancos from 1579..    I bought 2 blancos, and might go back for more before I head home.   I'll need to pack them in my luggage and check a bag for my flight home, but I couldn't pass it up.   I'm a little nervous about traveling with bottles in my checked bag, but I've done it a few times before and have never had any break or leak.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I finished off my San Matias Tahona Reposado last night.

Starting with a bit of Cascahuín Plata 48, then going to “regular” Cascahuín Blanco.

I need to add some Cascahuín Tahona to the collection.
View Quote

Cascahuin Tahona blanco is one of my favorite blancos.  I also enjoy the regular Cascahuín blanco, but the Tahona is over the top.

I was able to compare my Pasote blancos from nom1579 and nom1584.  No question, 1579 blows the 1584 out of the water.  1584 has decent taste, but has an aroma that is really off.  1579 is just good all around.   It's too bad that Pasote made the change, I think the brand will die off as a result.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:47:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#28]
That Don Fulano is a tasty blanco.

I cracked open a bottle of Cascahuin Tahona Blanco tonight, one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]

That's a really good one.  I was at Trevor's Liquor a while ago, and someone working there who knew Tequila gave me a taste of it.    The high proof blancos haven't been my favorite in general, but that one is really good to me and I have a bottle on my shelf now.   I also enjoy the std Don Fulano blanco a lot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Fortaleza is allocated now where I can find it, which virtually nowhere.  Had to pay $60 for the blanco.  What a shame.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#32]

It’s always hard to find.

I managed to get some still strength a while back but haven’t opened it since I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to replace it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wiseanhyzer:
Fortaleza is allocated now where I can find it, which virtually nowhere.  Had to pay $60 for the blanco.  What a shame.

It’s always hard to find.

I managed to get some still strength a while back but haven’t opened it since I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to replace it.

On a family trip in December I found a spot that had a couple of cases of the Still Strength Fortaleza and I picked up (3) bottles.
I thought about getting more at the time, but between all the other tequila, mezcal and whisky I bought, I was running out of room in the car.... I haven’t tried mine yet either - I have a couple other bottles I’m working on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AZGR:
I've been drinking some of my Pasote blanco from nom1584.

The old Pasote bottle from 1579 was probably the first really good, traditionally made blanco that I tasted, so I am biased.   I am very disappointed that Pasote moved their brand to NOM1584, and I think the 1579 Pasote is better than 1584 Pasote.

Having said that, I poured myself some 1584 Pasote Blanco tonight.  It's a step down from  the 1579 Blanco, but is still good and I'm enjoying it.

Going forward,  I will stick to blancos from other 1579 brands over 1584 Pasote, but I will enjoy my 1584 Pasote blancos for what they are.
View Quote
I stumbled upon four bottles of the old 1579 Pasote blanco in a new-to-me store and bought all four.  The original bottles are so nice and the blanco is great.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:48:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TallLankey] [#35]
Something bad ...

(idk)
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Someone just posted that WOAFP, the founder of this thread has been banned permanently.

Anyone know what he did?
View Quote
That sucks if true.  I don't post here that much but I love reading his posts about spirits.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Someone just posted that WOAFP, the founder of this thread has been…banned…permanently.

Anyone know what he did?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't recall really seeing many of woafp's posts that were not alcohol or food related,  and I didn't know that there was the potential of him being banned.   It seems like some good site content will be missed.  

I will have some Tears of Llorona tonight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:01:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#40]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZGR] [#41]

I finished mine off a few months ago but kept the (empty) bottle to remind to get some more...I keep grabbing it, forgetting that it's empty.
View Quote

I'm trying to make my Paradiso last, so I don't have it very often.   I recently finished off the first bottle I bought and it is so tasty.   I have 2 bottles stashed away and will probably open one of them soon.   No sense in letting them sit on the shelf I guess.

On another note, I was back out in upstate NY for business and stopped back into the liquor store that had some Pasote blancos from 1579.   They had 2 bottles of 1579 blanco left , so I grabbed them both.    They also had a bunch of Fortaleza blancos, but I passed this time.    Next time I'm out there, I'll do some more shopping.

I'm sipping on the last of a bottle of Don Fulano blanco tonight.   I really enjoy this one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#42]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Just getting into the Tequila and Mezcal side of things and thought I would give some of my less experienced tasting thoughts and pose a couple questions...

Desert Door Sotol, Total Wine Barrel Select: Very disappointing, bordering on wretched, avoid.

Fortaleza Tequilla, Reposado and Anjeo: Love both, actually prefer the Reposado and impossible to find the Anejo locally.

Don Julio Reposado Tequila: Love this in top shelf on the rocks margaritas. I try to only buy when on sale, which is rare, but it is easy to find anywhere.

Del Maguey Mezcal, Chichicapa: The only Del Maguey I like, the Vida was NOT good to me, but Chichicapa is one of my favorite Mezcals, it is just too expensive to stock up on.

Illegal Mezcal, Reposado and Anjeo: Love both, but they are expensive too. Is there an opinion on on these?

Questions:

Where can I learn about NOM numbers and what they mean?

Also, are there any higher quality Tequilas or Mezcals that don't cost an arm and a leg that hold up to the above? Seems everything I find that I really like is over $50 for a 750ml.

Finally, what is the opinion of Classe Azul? Is it like Johnnie Walker Blue Label where it is good but not worth the money and more of a status symbol thing or is there something special about their products?

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Just getting into the Tequila and Mezcal side of things and thought I would give some of my less experienced tasting thoughts and pose a couple questions...

Desert Door Sotol, Total Wine Barrel Select: Very disappointing, bordering on wretched, avoid.

Fortaleza Tequilla, Reposado and Anjeo: Love both, actually prefer the Reposado and impossible to find the Anejo locally.

Don Julio Reposado Tequila: Love this in top shelf on the rocks margaritas. I try to only buy when on sale, which is rare, but it is easy to find anywhere.

Del Maguey Mezcal, Chichicapa: The only Del Maguey I like, the Vida was NOT good to me, but Chichicapa is one of my favorite Mezcals, it is just too expensive to stock up on.

Illegal Mezcal, Reposado and Anjeo: Love both, but they are expensive too. Is there an opinion on on these?

Questions:

Also, are there any higher quality Tequilas or Mezcals that don't cost an arm and a leg that hold up to the above? Seems everything I find that I really like is over $50 for a 750ml.

Finally, what is the opinion of Classe Azul? Is it like Johnnie Walker Blue Label where it is good but not worth the money and more of a status symbol thing or is there something special about their products?

View Quote

To learn about NOM, download the tequilla matchmaker app or visit the website.

As far as price, good Tequillas and Mezcals are going to be spendy.  Producing them is a labor intensive process.  Also, most of the agave varieties used to make mezcal are wild.  Some even take 30 years to mature.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:41:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#46]
Originally Posted By DevL:

Questions:

View Quote

FYI the Del Maguey Vida was created for mixing….not meant to sip drink. It’s heavy smoke flavor was meant to hold up in cocktails.
Most all their other Mezcals are really good.
For less $$ options check out the “Best Budget Tequilas” on the Tequila Hombre YouTube channel. Mark does honest reviews and is a true agave spirit aficionado.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#48]
A little early, but I’ve started:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/2B28CD76-178D-47B0-AC9A-FD8261370CC4-2748428.jpg
View Quote

What do you think of that one?

I'm sipping on some El Tesoro single barrel repo tonight.   Probably my favorite all around Tequila right now.    I picked up several bottles last year at a good price, and don't see them on the shelf anymore.   I'll have to compare the single barrel repo to the std repo and see how they compare.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Wow.
Didn’t he move to Korea recently...?
I wonder if he had some sort of mental breakdown.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top